or houses.

When I look at a submission then I only look
at the map and on a few selected levels. So
better make a few good levels than making
tons of levels of low quality. I know that it is
easier to make levels described in 1. and 2.,
but playing the game makes more fun when
there is something special in each level and
you feel that the world is professional made.

A map is not always a must (like the Xmine submission,
it doesn't really need a map), but when you make
a world that is based on overworld levels then a
map is a MUST. If your levels don't look good when
connected then change them!

06-06-2001, 10:43 PM
*cough* graal2001 also made by level generator...and you're just slowly filling it up...*cough*

Not that I mind it...its getting better and better every day!
I even re-upgraded my account for a year to see the improovements of g2k1

Lyndzey8000
06-06-2001, 10:45 PM
I try and make my levels perfect. I make up my own paths and I use tiles, like flowers and stuff. I hate it when I go to a PW and I like walk into a tree all the time.

Kaimetsu
06-06-2001, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by thotijn2
*cough* graal2001 also made by level generator...and you're just slowly filling it up...*cough*

Not that I mind it...its getting better and better every day!
I even re-upgraded my account for a year to see the improovements of g2k1

But Graal2001 is full of interactive NPCs and nice tiling and cool graphics. There's nothing inherently wrong with using the levelgen, but people seem to think that they can just make a thousand levels and generate them, and then that's their playerworld.

Kaimetsu
06-06-2001, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Lyndzey8000
I try and make my levels perfect. I make up my own paths and I use tiles, like flowers and stuff. I hate it when I go to a PW and I like walk into a tree all the time.

Moral of the story: Don't drink and play Graal. Trees hurt heads.

06-06-2001, 10:48 PM
Did I said it wasn't good?!
did i said it hadn't good graphics and stuff?
I don't think so, I only mentioned it was made with a level generator
Please read a post good before you reply to it...

Kaimetsu
06-06-2001, 10:51 PM
Did I said it wasn't good?!
did i said it hadn't good graphics and stuff?
I don't think so, I only mentioned it was made with a level generator
Please read a post good before you reply to it...

You were citing its level generator origins as a fault, by comparing it to worlds of lesser quality. I was simply explaining how it differed from those playerworlds.

06-06-2001, 10:53 PM
well nevermind it
lets not argue on this board
main board has allready loads of those stupid threads/replies

Kaimetsu
06-06-2001, 10:57 PM
well nevermind it
lets not argue on this board
main board has allready loads of those stupid threads/replies

I agree. Getting back on topic, I think what most playerworlds really need is good scripting. Even the most aesthetic levels fail without interactivity.

06-06-2001, 11:04 PM
yes, scripting is the key to a succesfull playerworld
if every level contain something to do for the player it would be to chaostic
but try to do it like new main, make some villages or spots with something to do...that's the key to succes
also make some seats with tables where people can hangout for a while and chat with each other..best thing where to make a hangout is in the town like in the centre..if you make a playerworld like this you'll have loads of people every day! Only you must also advertise and DON'T make your playerworld p2p cause people with p2p account will mostly go to newmain so I suggest you make it a normal playerworld! About the advertising just go to all the servers and invite people do not mass like 10 times in a rope only thing you'll get is that you'll be on ignore
tell people of the beautifull npc's your playerworld contains and make a good website for it
After all this then you got yourself a nice good beautifull server!
at least in my opinion

activeconvict
06-06-2001, 11:04 PM
I personally like my creativity, I just make up stuff with tiles and such. Use my own design, so someone doesn't say "YOU COPIED ME!" Etc. I haven't really thought about making a playerworld, my friend Volt and I were going to make one named Middle Earth, but then with the version switch we had to re-do a lot of the stuff, that is what he said. I may start back up on it, a lot of the levels were very nice quality.

Admins
06-06-2001, 11:13 PM
When the overworld of Graal2001 was made
we didn't had a levels generator. All in Graal2001
was made by hand, except the survivor island
and the red trees, and even those tree took some
hand work to fit into the cliffs / rivers.

Lyndzey8000
06-06-2001, 11:28 PM
Graal 2001 doesnt look level generated. It looks perfect to me. They use the right tiles and the paths are really cool looking.

Stefan, what about Mystic Lands?

Huggles
06-07-2001, 01:57 AM
I've made a mini map for my PW, how do I get it to work? =-)

And do you need a big map or little map of the world?

LiquidIce00
06-07-2001, 02:21 AM
!!!Down with level generator!!!

I mean its usefull but if server owners are going to make level generated playerworlds and hardly add stuff then please dont use it!

I made nearly 500 city and forest maps by hand!
It's a long and boring process but at least when people play them, they will see that every map is nicely detailed (and wont go through plain grass maps all the time)
;P

Btw: good tip is to have a nice system! System can do wonders, specially when it comes to catching cheaters and more =D

I think the worst part of my playerworld was that I found 1 thing wrong, and I had to change basically the whole playerworld.
Just for me to make the map perfect (meaning all the trees aligned) I had to go through my 500 hand made levels and fix the trees so they align. Oh and gathering playerworld houses isnt very easy either =(

Good luck if you make a p/w
;P

RawPower
06-07-2001, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by LiquidIce00

I mean its usefull but if server owners are going to make level generated playerworlds and hardly add stuff then please dont use it!

It's a long and boring process but at least when people play them, they will see that every map is nicely detailed (and wont go through plain grass maps all the time)
;P

Btw: good tip is to have a nice system! System can do wonders, specially when it comes to catching cheaters and more =D

I think the worst part of my playerworld was that I found 1 thing wrong, and I had to change basically the whole playerworld.
Just for me to make the map perfect (meaning all the trees aligned) I had to go through my 500 hand made levels and fix the trees so they align. Oh and gathering playerworld houses isnt very easy either =(

;P

Level Generator is awsome...it saves so much time...I totally disagree you could make 50 plain green levels with it to work off of and just edit them (saves the warping)

LiquidIce00
06-07-2001, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by RawPower

Level Generator is awsome...it saves so much time...I totally disagree you could make 50 plain green levels with it to work off of and just edit them (saves the warping)

Yes level gen is great!
But if you're going to use level gen then make sure you edit every single map, because you can easily tell a map that was edited and wasnt edited (simply because level gen doesnt make chairs, lamps) and other things ;)
what im saying is that level gen is overly used. too many playerworlds are level gen and add some predefined objects and thats it ..
not cool because they dont show ne effort
;P
and warping is easy =P

XilosTinsu
06-07-2001, 03:51 AM
If you use the level generator you SHOULD go through every level, add stuff making it look better. I'm making a playerworld and I used the level generator but I'm not even close to being done with it. I'm going through every level and adding things. Yes I agree the System NPC can be a great tool, I'm using mine with Autojailing features and others, the triggeraction is good for System NPCs. The only reason I started a playerworld was I was tired of all these playerworlds being a jumbled mess with no organizations etc. etc. etc.

LiquidIce00
06-07-2001, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by XilosTinsu
If you use the level generator you SHOULD go through every level, add stuff making it look better. I'm making a playerworld and I used the level generator but I'm not even close to being done with it. I'm going through every level and adding things. Yes I agree the System NPC can be a great tool, I'm using mine with Autojailing features and others, the triggeraction is good for System NPCs. The only reason I started a playerworld was I was tired of all these playerworlds being a jumbled mess with no organizations etc. etc. etc.

=D
go Xilos!

I'll list everything my system can do:
1-jail some1 from newhere in the world
2-jail some1 for any specified ammount of minutes
3-day/night
4-self update (brings the playerback to the npc level when a newer version comes out. I just change the server.systemver string to a higher version)
5-built in time/date checker
6-Check to see if a person who is not a staff member has illegal npcs (then jails them, and sets string specifing how they cheated)
7-Checks heart ammount , sword levels and more to see if person is hacking (then jails them, and sets tring specifing how they cheated)

See all that neat stuff =D

XilosTinsu
06-07-2001, 04:32 AM

=D
go Xilos!

I'll list everything my system can do:
4-self update (brings the playerback to the npc level when a newer version comes out. I just change the server.systemver string to a higher version)

Did you ever think about having the new system NPC just return to the weapons, for example if your System NPC is named *System and you put a new version, you could have it check for the newer version, and when there is a new version just put toweapons *System, I think that will update it, not sure though, just a thought. Or you could have the x,y,and level name go in flags and after they get the new NPC it warps them back to where they were. Also for Staff I made a Staff System NPC that has everything in it instead of having 23523 NPCs, you just need one that can be used to Jail ppl if you are a GP etc.

Kaimetsu
06-07-2001, 04:42 AM

Did you ever think about having the new system NPC just return to the weapons, for example if your System NPC is named *System and you put a new version, you could have it check for the newer version, and when there is a new version just put toweapons *System, I think that will update it, not sure though, just a thought.

No, toweapons cannot be used in weapons.

You could warp people to an update level, though, that had an NPC which gave you the new weapon and warped you back again afterwards. That'd certainly work.

LiquidIce00
06-07-2001, 04:54 AM
I believe if you have the NPC SERVER then if you have a weapon every time you reconnect it updates your weapon.
and Xilos yes, in my onlinestartlocal if you say 'returnfromupdate' it places you back to the x,y and level you were in =D

grim_squeaker_x
06-07-2001, 05:17 PM
I believe if you have the NPC SERVER then if you have a weapon every time you reconnect it updates your weapon.
and Xilos yes, in my onlinestartlocal if you say 'returnfromupdate' it places you back to the x,y and level you were in =D It actually already automattically does that without NPC Server, you just have to edit the weapon when it's in the same level and on the same position and Graal will automattically update it to the new version then ;)

LiquidIce00
06-08-2001, 01:15 AM
so if you have a weapon in whatever.graal at 20,20 and you edit it Graal auto updates?
O.o
I thought only npc server could do that ^_^
You 100% sure?

XilosTinsu
06-08-2001, 01:29 AM
I'm thinking that is a new feature if you upload a updated version of a level it will autodownload then new level. I think it says that in newfeatures2001.txt, I think, correct me if I'm wrong.

LiquidIce00
06-08-2001, 04:11 AM
I'm thinking that is a new feature if you upload a updated version of a level it will autodownload then new level. I think it says that in newfeatures2001.txt, I think, correct me if I'm wrong.

- files are now automatically downloaded again from the server when they have been updated on the server

Thats what it says in the file, but does it go for npc's too? and I mean if youre not even in the current level you're in a totally different place.
I hope so , im gonna ask Stefan, if ne1 knows if it does or doesn't please post ^_^

grim_squeaker_x
06-08-2001, 05:03 PM

- files are now automatically downloaded again from the server when they have been updated on the server

Thats what it says in the file, but does it go for npc's too? and I mean if youre not even in the current level you're in a totally different place.
I hope so , im gonna ask Stefan, if ne1 knows if it does or doesn't please post ^_^

It does, I recently tested it out somewhere, as lopng as everyone's got the NPC's you can just change the NPC in the levle where they got themfrom and it'll automattically change it's script for everyone :)

Admins
06-08-2001, 08:59 PM
It has been this way for more than 2 years.
If somebody does toweapons with the same
weapon name and the modification time of
the level is newer then it will replace the
weapon script in the database and all
players get the new script when they login
(saving it separately for all people would
mean tons of GB for storing the weapon
scripts ...)

KJS
06-08-2001, 10:07 PM
you should let level 4 rc's edit that database...

so like if they put up a weapon a long time ago and they dont want it to be used any more then they can delete it out of the database so no one can have it again.

take Sidra for example... they usto have a lot of staff weapons that just had no point.. Now darklink is trying to make it so there is few staff weapons (ie boots and thats it)... But like some staff are still getting the old staff weapons because like they can add it through rc...

XilosTinsu
06-08-2001, 11:08 PM
good idea

Saga2001
10-25-2001, 12:53 PM
good idea

no no no

GREAT idea. :D

as said somewhere in another thread...

being able to edit the database and the scripts they contain! from the RC.

that would rock.

Slaktmaster
10-25-2001, 01:47 PM
I made a system like Liquid for my PW but by changing a server string you can disable people form picking up money incase a hackers comes in to ruin the economy. :)

Brad_Elven
10-25-2001, 05:37 PM
Babylon is all by hand, i havent used level gen once. my biggest problem is tree errors. b4 i knew how to connect levels i just made and linked them. I almost had to restart once finding out about connecting. :o

Now babylon is amazing but i still have 1 major tree error. Its in that forest at the top...

Slaktmaster
10-25-2001, 11:25 PM
Damnit, I really like the cliff paths of Babylon, yo!

bravo_gp6
10-26-2001, 06:23 AM
If the level genarator is used properly you can make one heck of a good server for Eg. Me and Sym used the level genarator and slowly by hand filled in the rest of the levels the server was awsome for what we had done then my net died :-( and the project ended although i would still like to finish it and put it online its a realy good server with tonz of good ideas that would be new to Graal

Faheria_GP2
10-26-2001, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Stefan
When the overworld of Graal2001 was made
we didn't had a levels generator. All in Graal2001
was made by hand, except the survivor island
and the red trees, and even those tree took some
hand work to fit into the cliffs / rivers.

you're telling me that you made that entire level of bushes by hand?

(right below the bakery)

LiquidIce00
10-26-2001, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Faheria_GP2

you're telling me that you made that entire level of bushes by hand?

(right below the bakery)

hehe it wouldnt be that hard to do the bushes cuz the map is all bush so you just have to goto the predefined part and do a flood fill of bushes ^_^

spi
10-26-2001, 07:23 AM
They also need to have all of their graphics in .png format because KawaiiSaRiA is deleting the .gif ones in a few days or so.

ssjg2k123
10-26-2001, 07:48 AM
:megaeek:

bravo_gp6
10-29-2001, 08:40 AM
Another suggestion to new owners making server's is
dont make it to open have path's to diffrent place's wide path's but dont have it compleatly open an Eg. of this is graal3000 the times i played it i was wondering though tonz of green levels if its a path people wont be lost as ezy. an Eg. of a server with path's is graal2001 made by the master mind of graal if you dont have a p2p account go into maps and take a look at it. :-D

Xanatos(Owner Of Malhangaia) *i need staff am the only one and am not that great of a scripter*

LiquidIce00
10-30-2001, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by spi
They also need to have all of their graphics in .png format because KawaiiSaRiA is deleting the .gif ones in a few days or so.

is KawaiiSaria deleting gif's from the main graal server files or from every server?

JubeiSaotomeX
10-30-2001, 10:52 AM

is KawaiiSaria deleting gif's from the main graal server files or from every server?

yeah, every gif HAS TO BE png or mng (if animated) by the first of november, or you could end up losing your playerworld.

Doomsday's already gif-less :D

Aknts
10-31-2001, 05:02 AM
Doomsday's already good-less :D

JubeiSaotomeX
10-31-2001, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Aknts
Doomsday's already good-less :D

old doomsday, go have a look at doomsday now, then say that

Poogle
11-02-2001, 09:08 AM
When people submit playerworlds, then
the main problem is that they are of poor
level quality. They are
1. generated with level generator and nothing else
in there, or
2. made by creating a new empty grass level and
placing some predefined objects onto it, like trees
or houses.

When I look at a submission then I only look
at the map and on a few selected levels. So
better make a few good levels than making
tons of levels of low quality. I know that it is
easier to make levels described in 1. and 2.,
but playing the game makes more fun when
there is something special in each level and
you feel that the world is professional made.

A map is not always a must (like the Xmine submission,
it doesn't really need a map), but when you make
a world that is based on overworld levels then a
map is a MUST. If your levels don't look good when
Then take down Frolic if you believe that!

GrimMoogle
11-03-2001, 05:17 AM
If your levels don't look good when

*cough* if someone spent a few hours on G2K1 they could fix all the levels connection errors....

Saga2001
11-04-2001, 02:37 PM
Since we have Jubei and SkyKnight i have noticed Doomsday ummmmmmm.....owns? yeah thats the word....ne way also i think that we should definatly be able to add and delete weapons and i think it should be an extra right option so you do not need lvl 4 rc, cause i cannot tell you how many times i have needed to stop st00pid staff from adding a weapon, and i can't! darn! ne ways i wanted to mention that liquid ice owns and always will, u rock my world man!...
--PastAustin (Doomsday - Level Bugs Admin & Other Misc. Jobs (for any server in need of me! :-D))

Sigla
11-05-2001, 09:09 PM
I'd have to agree with Stefan on the count that levelgen levels are truly unhappy and undesirable most of the time. Which is why Mithica II will kick some serious ass. Kerin and Xeus have been working really hard on it, and I'm sure that it's going to turn out very well. Personally, I can't wait for it. I just hope we are free by the time upload ground zero gets here. ^^

6Burning6Church6
11-06-2001, 08:55 AM

;P

;P

Yes, I am designing all my levels by hand now. I only use generator if I want to make a island (like bigcity on classic). I don't like linking levels that much... >.<

Sigla
11-06-2001, 10:16 AM
Yeah, linking levels can be a pain, but that's why it's called 'working' on a level and/or levels. lol

6Burning6Church6
11-06-2001, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Sigla
Yeah, linking levels can be a pain, but that's why it's called 'working' on a level and/or levels. lol

Yea, I generated Sidra's intro so I didn't have to script a map or anything.. I just wanted it to be square with nothing on it so I can do all the editing.

Level generate gets used too much through, I mean basic things like I said is cool but people make a playerworld and just say "TJHIS IS MYT BPLSAYERWORLD LKOOKA T IT" and it's all green..

*sigh*

Sigla
11-06-2001, 10:21 AM
*knows just what you mean* But, you must admit, it's funny as hell when people who can't spell or type try to submit things like that. It's like coming out and saying "I may not have much intelligence, and I'm almost totally devoid of brain cells, but don't worry, I'm illiterate - I mean, I'm good at making levels."

6Burning6Church6
11-06-2001, 10:24 AM
*knows just what you mean* But, you must admit, it's funny as hell when people who can't spell or type try to submit things like that. It's like coming out and saying "I may not have much intelligence, and I'm almost totally devoid of brain cells, but don't worry, I'm illiterate - I mean, I'm good at making levels."

Lol, my friend owns thenextlevel.net, and when he made me accont [email protected], I had so many levels that I just stopped looking at them. I deleted any set to my e-mail (which is saved on my computer)...

I almost quit Graal after seeing some of these levels. People would send in a "quest" and it'll have all gold baddies in a level, which they stolen from Graal Classic, and it'll have a chest with level 4 sword.

I really feel sad for playerworld admins..

Sigla
11-06-2001, 10:27 AM
I'll ask Psyker. I bet it's actually amusing to be a PW Admin. I know I'd get some laughs, and supposedly, they prolong life.

6Burning6Church6
11-06-2001, 10:30 AM
I'll ask Psyker. I bet it's actually amusing to be a PW Admin. I know I'd get some laughs, and supposedly, they prolong life.

If i was playerworld admin, I'd be trustful.

Unlike Geovanie, when he reviewed his playerworld he was like "I am owner so its cool."

People such as him need to die *cough* antago *cough*

;x

6Burning6Church6
11-06-2001, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by 6Burning6Church6

If i was playerworld admin, I'd be trustful.

Unlike Geovanie, when he reviewed his playerworld he was like "I am owner so its cool."

People such as him need to die *cough* antago *cough*

;x

Er and let me finish if I was pw admin i would be trusthful, because if i dont like their pw i wont have it put up. look at delteria, if i was stefan i'd take it down.. lol

anyway, VOTE FOR ME FER PLAYERWORLD ADMIN LEOL

I'm a fast worker. :X

bigboy_27
11-06-2001, 10:36 AM
I have a question, mabye it will get answered here! how do i make my own custom signs? like ones that you walk up to and they can say things. or, if possible could i make those animated?!?!

Sigla
11-06-2001, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by bigboy_27
I have a question, mabye it will get answered here! how do i make my own custom signs? like ones that you walk up to and they can say things. or, if possible could i make those animated?!?!

You just made me miss good ol' Draco Meteoric. He's the man, you konw. Also, he could do that in his sleep.

Mithica_Admin3
11-07-2001, 01:18 AM

You just made me miss good ol' Draco Meteoric. He's the man, you konw. Also, he could do that in his sleep.

Ah yes.. DM was quite the master at that. If only I had the fraction of graphics talent he had, I'd be happy.

6Burning6Church6
11-07-2001, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by bigboy_27

Make a graphic that is a sign and animate it lol

Sigla
11-07-2001, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Mithica_Admin3

Ah yes.. DM was quite the master at that. If only I had the fraction of graphics talent he had, I'd be happy.

Damnit... where'd he go, anyway? ><

Mithica_Admin3
11-07-2001, 02:26 AM

Damnit... where'd he go, anyway? ><

I wish I knew. :(

Sigla
11-07-2001, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Mithica_Admin3

I wish I knew. :(

Maybe we should form a massive, worldwide manhunt for him.