PDA

View Full Version : Encrypting levels

Kaimetsu
06-06-2001, 08:59 PM
Make it so that levels can be encrypted into a format similar to .code files. These files can be run by Graal, but not opened in the editor. Neither can they ever be decoded.

The net result: Levels can be distributed without fear that people will steal NPC scripts or things like that. The technology seems like it already exists, because something similar is used on the .code files. So, as long as the encryption is slightly different for this new file type, can anyone see any reasons not to do this?

galen
06-07-2001, 03:33 AM
This suggestion has come up before. Through all the long winded discussions the end result was this: If you don't want people to steal your scripts, don't give out your levels. Keep them online only so they turn into .code when the client receives them.

Tyhm
06-07-2001, 03:34 AM
It would encourage someone to crack the .code file type.

If your level's so great, you don't have to worry about people stealing it. If they do, and people like theirs better, get over yourself. I published the code to the swirly thing in the Gaia shrine, didn't hear me complain when the pie shrine went up.

Kaimetsu
06-07-2001, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Tyhm
It would encourage someone to crack the .code file type.

That's true, I suppose...

If your level's so great, you don't have to worry about people stealing it. If they do, and people like theirs better, get over yourself. I published the code to the swirly thing in the Gaia shrine, didn't hear me complain when the pie shrine went up.

I've already posted the Drakkara and my dream sequence and countless other things so clearly the issue here is not me. It's just something I've always felt like Graal should have. I'm sure we miss out on lots of good stuff because people who are more protective of their scripts don't generally post them.