PDA

View Full Version : Images + Variety

Erik_K
12-22-2002, 01:44 AM
Something that bugs me in graal is the ammount of variety (and soemtimes quality) in the images that are being used. Like say when you have an enchanted.. say... naginata, the blade would glow to like its different than just a normal naginata, and ther eneed to be more weapons that are good and have it so there isnt just one or two good weapons that everyone uses, but a large variety of good weapons and it is all preferance of what you like better, and for your character. Also, some of the spells look awfull, like icestorm, it looks like a few hundred birds are flying overhead and droping large ammounts of crap all over the ground. And some of the spells like the lightening one, Magic Missle and Burning Hands just make a few images apear all over and are barely animated and in soem cases are just a little brick of image... These spells have had no effort put into them.

To give the weaponry and armoury some variety (apart from more of them and more images) i think there should be a blacksmith skill, which determines how good each item is. The blacksmith skill should progress with exp like the physical, mental, magic etc. If you have a very low blacksmith level, the things you make should be like "cracked naginata" and the higher you have your level at the better your product comes out. Blacksmith exp should NOT be easy to get, because you are able to make alot of stuff with minimal resources. When you have a low level your product should crack or break when making it some of the time, and when it works not be very strong. At a high level it shoudl work out allmost all the time and have added bonus' because it was crafted by a Proffesianal. This idea would bring alot of variety into the weapons and armour in graal.

MrGannondorf
12-22-2002, 02:06 AM
you sound like you have never had a staff job. yes, things like small lightning is graphicaly incomplex, but you have no idea how much work it is to make all the stuff on the server. Maby you should volunteer for all this perfection and see how hard it realy is. Also, I think burning hands and icestorm look pretty good.

Erik_K
12-22-2002, 02:13 AM
hmm.. truthfully, i dont know alot about the scripting, but graphics i know about. The animation in icestorm is good, but it needs to look... mroe like ice/snow instead of lumpy lightblue stuff, i know its not an easy thing to do, but im paying like 60 can a year for this.. it kinda stinks when some of the graphics dont look very apealing. And burning hands... just needs a little more it hink maybe the fire could be a little less cartoon looking and do a little burst thing before it apears... but there are spells that look good.

MrGannondorf
12-22-2002, 05:04 AM
I supose the fire could use some work. I realy wish they'd fix small lighting.

Selzar
12-22-2002, 07:46 AM
Yes
YES YES!!
It is like people are born proffesional crafters in the game of graal kingdoms.
There should be a level to it.
Like maybe your Mental exp should be good to make a perfect weapon.

MrGannondorf
12-23-2002, 05:41 AM
are you willing to rescript/ edit the scripts of the anvils and weapons? I doubt such a minor thing will be dealt with.

Erik_K
12-23-2002, 05:52 AM
Its not that minor, it would add ALOT to the game, like a little weapon variety

Selzar
12-23-2002, 10:38 AM
stop talking about the scripting gannondorf...
Stefan adds stuff, we tell him to make it different.
That's the way it go's. Right now the system is so unbalenced. because a low level can make a Diamond Blade succesfully, maybe failing like 4 times on making a Good Diamond Blade.
Because this is how it gos a low level mines for 10 minutes bam a diamond, he gos to anvil makes it done. It kills everything.
The system should be made.

MrGannondorf
12-24-2002, 04:52 AM
good call about the crafting. maby there should be a craftsmen level and you get exp for the things you make. that way, a level ... 3 craftsmen can make a daimond blade fairly well, while a lv1 craftsmen atempts and the blade shatters as the hamer first strikes it.

oh, and I say what I very well please. keep in mind some things may take quite alot of effort to make while more intresting things are being planned.

Erik_K
12-24-2002, 09:34 AM
Lunpa has a point is right, it would take a fair amoutn of effort. But i have no doubts about stefans abilities. And i also think its lame when you start out, and in like a couple weeks you have the best wepaon in the game... its just not FUN they should alos have alot mroe very rare monster loot, and a couple items that there is only 1 of them that apears form a monster, and then never again. It would give people wiht alot of money and nothign to do... soemthing to do/spend all their money on.

MrGannondorf
12-24-2002, 07:56 PM
rare items makes my cat go into a killing frenzy.

Erik_K
12-24-2002, 08:38 PM
... im sure it does, anyone have any ideas to add to it maybe?

Tyhm
12-25-2002, 01:55 AM
This could be done easily by:
creating warp-files for imperfect blades - just an overlay of knicks and imperfections to put over your sword if it was poorly smithed, maybe it can be resmithed later? Or you can keep resmithing it until it shatters or becomes perfect? That'd be a fair pastime for newbies...
creating glow-files for enchanted blades - an under-lay that's fairly easy to create (flood select and feather), then just use lighting effects to make it an eerie green glow, and electric blue glow, a firey red glow, a wicked purple glow, a sickly yellow glow, etc...
and creating some effect mngs, more or less like the existing magic ganis. When you hit someone with a poisoning blade, they get splattered with poison. When you hit someone with a fire blade, there's a burst of flame a moment behind the swing. When you hit someone with a lightning blade, electricity swarms around the blade and arcs into your target (this could be done with kstar.png and a LOT of clever math, or just be cheap like me and use staticshield.mng)...

That would be cool.