PDA

View Full Version : Help with NPC Server crashes....

NovaNET
11-22-2002, 09:47 AM
Doomsday and Npulse's NPC Servers keeping crashing its happening on a bi-daily occurance.... I am wondering whats up with it... From my understanding the NPC server was just a server side software that ran a shell/session for each playerworld thus if one NPC server were to "crash" everyone would crash ... I see that as the only possible conclusion due to the costly fees for servers and dedicating a server for npc's for each playerworld would be far to expensive.... anyways stefan or unixmad do you guys know whats going on ?

Delteria_Free18
11-22-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by NovaNET
Doomsday and Npulse's NPC Servers keeping crashing its happening on a bi-daily occurance.... I am wondering whats up with it... From my understanding the NPC server was just a server side software that ran a shell/session for each playerworld thus if one NPC server were to "crash" everyone would crash ... I see that as the only possible conclusion due to the costly fees for servers and dedicating a server for npc's for each playerworld would be far to expensive.... anyways stefan or unixmad do you guys know whats going on ?

with my imense knowledge of linux (not) I'd say you dont understand what a shell account is :) its basically an instance of the environment *in this case linux* in which the user can do anything he could if he/she were at the terminal...

you name "services" the same way you would a shell account... so your assumption that if a server were to go down the whole thing would go down is wrong...

there is my little "nut of knowledge" preety tiny, no? :cool:

Kuza
11-22-2002, 11:06 AM
a shell account is basically a loaned out account that gives a user access to the operator/server's administrator's root shell or something... heh, i used to run SuSE. it has been awhile.

NovaNET
11-22-2002, 11:14 AM
I am not talking about a linux shell or shell account i am talking about a shell executable .

Delteria_Free18
11-22-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Kaimetsu
The NPC Server is, I believe, simply a program that works with the game server. Maybe there's a separate program running for each server but I doubt it. It seems to me that there'll just be one program (which may well be part of the standard game server program) that runs all the NPC Servers. It presumably monitors the RAM/CPU usage of each individual NPC Server and shuts them down if they exceed a certain tolerance. Saying that the NPC Server 'crashes' is inaccurate; it's an auto-shutdown mechanism designed to remove servers that take too many resources until their staff can fix the problems.

sexy answer...if only graal was open source... think of the possibilities....

Python523
11-22-2002, 12:33 PM
from what I understand, the npc server acts like a player, connects to the g-server and just executes all scripts

Delteria_Free18
11-22-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Kaimetsu

Like what?

you have to be kidding me....

Com013
11-22-2002, 11:32 PM
As far as I know the GraalServer (why is the short version censored?) and the NPC Server are two different programs because Stefan could recompile and update the NPC Server while I was on RC on the same server.
They are not using an own computer for each server, once Classic disapeared and Stefan told me it is always the computer where Unholy is running on that is crashing.

Darlene159
11-23-2002, 04:36 AM
Well, it would really be nice if Stefan could let us know what the problem is, and if it's something we did, we could fix it...I have emailed him 3 times, telling him there is something wrong with it, that it keeps crashing, and he restarts it, but it just crashes again...the problem isnt getting fixed :(

Python523
11-23-2002, 04:43 AM
things that take up too much resources tend to crash the npc server, unixmad or stefan added the thing for ncs to see what npcs take up the most CPU time in /stats for a reason

Delteria_Free18
11-23-2002, 11:42 PM
I Guess you can think of it that way... your obviously not a open source kinda guy...

if stefan makes his better than any of the others its easy to get people to choose his version...

but I guess he may not be sure that he can make a better version than all the rest..