PDA

View Full Version : Backdrop idea...

everandom
06-02-2001, 01:14 PM
ehmm... i reckon we should have the ability to change the backdrop (i mean like damasca one!!!) this should be put into the npcs which prob. could make the game more interesting as there could be desert backdrop (yes... fully desert city), on top of the ocean city... so players could make more differences between cities... or quests (howbout an underwater quest :) )

thanx for listening

Psyker
06-02-2001, 02:08 PM
you can change it, all you have to do is alter the pics1.png

grim_squeaker_x
06-02-2001, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Psyker
you can change it, all you have to do is alter the pics1.png I think he wants it so that he can use multiple ones throughout his levels, and since you'll always have to redownload different versions of pics1.png otherwise it would be better if there was just some scripting command for it.

Slaktmaster
06-03-2001, 02:43 AM
There is a scripting command for it, its called setbackpal.
Syntax:
setbackpal pics1.png;
setbackpal backpalname.png;

Backpals are found in the graal\levels\backpals folder

grim_squeaker_x
06-03-2001, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Slaktmaster
There is a scripting command for it, its called setbackpal.
Syntax:
setbackpal pics1.png;
setbackpal backpalname.png;

Backpals are found in the graal\levels\backpals folder That doesn't chane the actual tiles, only the palette used for drawing the tiles, what he wants is a command which would set pisc1.png to a similar thing with different graphics, like for example, Damasca has it's own seperate tileset right? What he wants is a command which allows you to set that tileset without overwriting the pics1.png you've got.

everandom
06-03-2001, 12:30 PM
yes.. a command to change the tileset =)
what do u reckon is it good idea???
there would be a server that have several tilesets and wouldn't make people change the tiles everytime (like damasca)

the script prob. should look like this;
settileset desertcity.png;

:)

Tyhm
06-03-2001, 12:36 PM
Galen keeps saying he's sure there is one, but he can't remember what it was. Then that he'll ask Stefan, and he doesn't. =P

06-03-2001, 01:27 PM
backpal, the old versionof the setlightcolor, with that, it is a altered version of the pics1.png somtimes and you can edit thoes and use them to make different backdrops/tiles, but they have to coincide/be compatable with the scripts of the reg tile set

grim_squeaker_x
06-03-2001, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by FateKnight_2001
backpal, the old versionof the setlightcolor, with that, it is a altered version of the pics1.png somtimes and you can edit thoes and use them to make different backdrops/tiles, but they have to coincide/be compatable with the scripts of the reg tile set But it still doesn't change the actual graphics. Only the palette as I already said above, just try it yourself.

Kaimetsu
06-06-2001, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by Gspeed2000
I GOT AN IDEA!
MAKE A BACKPAL COMMAND THAT ALSO RECOLORS NPC IMGS BY COMPARING THE COLORS IN THE BACKPAL TO THE ONES ON THE NPC :D :D :D :D

well its an idea

Doesn't seteffect do that already?

(Yes, I appreciate that I have most likely confused myself - feel free to make me look stupid)

XilosTinsu
06-06-2001, 03:12 AM
That's a good idea, but then you have to make it so you can auto-download the new pics1 or else noone will download them and the tiles will be all messed up. Also you have to consider the lag factor of switching a pics1 throughout every level.

Kaimetsu
06-06-2001, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by XilosTinsu
That's a good idea, but then you have to make it so you can auto-download the new pics1 or else noone will download them and the tiles will be all messed up. Also you have to consider the lag factor of switching a pics1 throughout every level.

Why is it that thousands of people who play a game that suffers so painfully from lag don't actually know what it is? Sorry, Xilos, I don't mean to pick on you, but that really is quite silly. The only information that would need to be sent to the player is a command to change the current tileset - just a few bytes at most. And then it'd only be every so often, whenever the player enters a location that needs a new set.

XilosTinsu
06-06-2001, 04:29 AM
I still think you would need to have it auto download or else all the towns would look messed if you didn't have the correct tilesets, and not many ppl download the tiles sets, and I'm pretty sure downloading a tile set would create lag, the pics1.png file is 191K, and the first time you walk into a new area you would have to download the file, it might not affect the Cable modem and DSL users but it affects the 56K and 36.6 users.

Munkey
06-06-2001, 07:38 AM
OK, here are my thoughts on this. Have a tileset zip pack that needs to be downloaded in order to leave the onlinestartlocal. *simple flag manipulation* and that would solve the download problem... unless they didn't unzip it.

For the scripting command. Have a text file that defines what tiles are walkable, what are lava, what are water, and what are wall tiles.
The command itself would look like this for a desert pics1.png if (playerenters) {settileset picsdesert.png,deserttiles.txt;}

Psyker
06-06-2001, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by XilosTinsu
I still think you would need to have it auto download or else all the towns would look messed if you didn't have the correct tilesets, and not many ppl download the tiles sets, and I'm pretty sure downloading a tile set would create lag, the pics1.png file is 191K, and the first time you walk into a new area you would have to download the file, it might not affect the Cable modem and DSL users but it affects the 56K and 36.6 users.
or the 28.8ers :(

TylerS36
06-06-2001, 07:59 AM
its a good idea but they are right, it would take a long time to load for 28.8 'ers

Admins
06-06-2001, 10:33 AM
Yes the tiles must be downloaded separately, we might
update the setup program to download such files automatically
when you start graal

XilosTinsu
06-07-2001, 01:52 AM
Yeah that would kill me, I couldn't move 2 levels without Graal crashing lol

Tyhm
06-07-2001, 03:32 AM
Flowers are animated, insofar as the tiles shift between the different flower animation frames...

everandom
06-07-2001, 08:16 AM
thanx for listening to my idea :)