PDA

View Full Version : Should the mods be more leeniant with the threads?


zell12
10-29-2002, 06:54 PM
I see that most of the mods like to close threads that could be discussed more as long as the players control their attitudes. To solve the problem in a thread delete the abusers post, and Forum pm him on what he did wrong. =/ Stop closing all the threads.

Darlene159
10-29-2002, 08:31 PM
As far as I can see, the threads that were closed had no reason to stay opened and discussed.

konidias
10-29-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by zell12
I see that most of the mods like to close threads that could be discussed more as long as the players control their attitudes. To solve the problem in a thread delete the abusers post, and Forum pm him on what he did wrong. =/ Stop closing all the threads.

You have to understand that it's a lot more work for the moderators to delete the post, and then contact every person that doesn't control their attitude. I don't really think it's the moderators that should change, I think it's the people that always start or participate in flamewars that need to readjust their attitudes.

Good threads wouldn't close if people didn't turn them into bad threads. It's impossible for moderators to handle every bad post, especially when a flamewar erupts and there are dozens of people arguing in one thread.

Loriel
10-29-2002, 08:53 PM
Konidias, so if someone opened a thread I do not like, I can start a flame war in it and thus make a moderator close it. And because closed threads may not be reopened, the thread is gone for good. Woah.

I think you silly mods should be far more liberal... Graal is trying to be sooo professional these days, but that only causes players to go away :(

Edit: Graal's popularity comes from the original from the players for the players thing, so if you uberplayers with mod powers close threads and whatever, it looks as if you do not trust the players to handle their forums anymore.

konidias
10-29-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Loriel
Konidias, so if someone opened a thread I do not like, I can start a flame war in it and thus make a moderator close it. And because closed threads may not be reopened, the thread is gone for good. Woah.

I think you silly mods should be far more liberal... Graal is trying to be sooo professional these days, but that only causes players to go away :(

Edit: Graal's popularity comes from the original from the players for the players thing, so if you uberplayers with mod powers close threads and whatever, it looks as if you do not trust the players to handle their forums anymore.

If you started flame wars all the time, you'd be warned, and eventually banned. This isn't the 70's Loriel. As I've said before, when it comes to players, it's quality over quantity. I would rather have 10 people posting here that followed the rules and showed intelligence, then 1000 people posting here that acted like *****s and flamed eachother all day.

You can't possibly allow players to set their own rules. We tried that, and it didn't work. In most cases, threads are usually turned into flamewars *after* the threads purpose has been served. In the threads that still have value, I'm sure they would be spared.

Loriel
10-29-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by konidias
If you started flame wars all the time, you'd be warned, and eventually banned. This isn't the 70's Loriel. As I've said before, when it comes to players, it's quality over quantity. I would rather have 10 people posting here that followed the rules and showed intelligence, then 1000 people posting here that acted like *****s and flamed eachother all day.I remember having quality and quantity before Graal went all professional :)

You can't possibly allow players to set their own rules. We tried that, and it didn't work. In most cases, threads are usually turned into flamewars *after* the threads purpose has been served. In the threads that still have value, I'm sure they would be spared.
Players are mature, too. It worked allright some time ago. I mean, we all are players. You too.

CheeToS2
10-29-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by konidias
it's quality over quantity

quantity=money=quality
:\

Darlene159
10-29-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Loriel
I remember having quality and quantity before Graal went all professional :)


Players are mature, too. It worked allright some time ago. I mean, we all are players. You too.

I dont remember that...are you talking about the beginning of graal?
We did not have guality and quantity that I could see, I saw people getting by with so much, and way too many flame wars, and extremely rude posts were being ignored, I dont call that quality....

Maybe alot of players are mature, but being mature and acting mature are 2 different things.
Either people can follow the rules as setup, or just leave, their choice.

This is only my opinion as to what I see, not trying to start a fight or anything

Loriel
10-29-2002, 10:25 PM
Graal2001 was really fine at the beginning. After some weeks, there was a sufficient amount of players, and most of them were cool and stuff. :(

XxxxneosoftxxxX
10-29-2002, 11:45 PM
I think that posts not pertaining to the topic of the threads, or 'flaming' other people, without real use to the thread starter, should just be deleted.

This would help to preserve and prolong the life of the thread, and would help the people who actually started the threads to get more out of it...

Spark910
10-30-2002, 02:12 AM
They should close old ones, By oldI mean there are ones open from like 10months ago. And they need to be more controled as they dont punish enough.

zell12
10-30-2002, 03:03 AM
The moderators have a job, and that requires not being lazy. I'm not saying any of you are or anything, I am trying to be nice now :) I'm just saying that if you just closed all the threads with a few posts of people getting out of hand, then your not doing a full job. And its beind done the wrong way. The posts should be deleted, and you send them a warning. Then if the private forums you start a list of the badish people and give them little "ticks" or "Xs" by their name so when they get 2 or three. The get a banning for a while or a punishment of their posts being taken (certian number), avatar removal, title removal, etc...
If you just closed all the threads, then all you do now is make up rules, help people, and prune or move threads.

Brad
10-30-2002, 06:44 AM
My ideas:


unblock swearing
make cool people moderators
unban some cool people (spi, etc.)
make brad super mod

ZanderX
10-30-2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Brad
My ideas:


unblock swearing
make cool people moderators
unban some cool people (spi, etc.)
make brad super mod

Absolutely not wonderful ideas. :)

Delteria_Free18
10-30-2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Brad
My ideas:


unblock swearing
make cool people moderators
unban some cool people (spi, etc.)
make brad super mod

at the delteria.net forums swearing is blocked and our moderators are very fair :)

sometimes people dont get along but its all gravy :)

zell12
10-30-2002, 08:44 AM
Yes, you see, Delteria's part of the graalian population is mostly sane. The rest are from UN and other servers that have no clue how to act properly. It is mostly the players fault why this happenes, but the mods should be doing more instead of just closing the threads.

Brad
10-30-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by ZanderX


Absolutely not wonderful ideas. :)

thx.

Googi
10-30-2002, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Brad
unblock swearing
make cool people moderators
unban some cool people (spi, etc.)
make brad super mod

Brad, how did you go from being an idiot, to not being an idiot, and now back to being an idiot.

XxxxneosoftxxxX
10-30-2002, 09:07 AM
Brad, most those ideas were cool except spi's unbanning. yeah he was funny for a while, until it's level up stupidity exceeded that of funniness...

Googi
10-30-2002, 09:48 AM
Well, the mods seem to either not realise that arguments are now what keeps the forums alive, or they wish to change that.

Discharge
10-30-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by XxxxneosoftxxxX
Brad, most those ideas were cool except spi's unbanning. yeah he was funny for a while, until it's level up stupidity exceeded that of funniness...


That kid sure did crack me up alot. :p

Torankusu
10-30-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Googi


Brad, how did you go from being an idiot, to not being an idiot, and now back to being an idiot. life as an outlaw just ain't fun.

Darlene159
10-30-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Googi
Well, the mods seem to either not realise that arguments are now what keeps the forums alive, or they wish to change that.

I think they overlook arguing up to a point as long as it stays decent and doesnt get too bad, but how many arguing threads have you seen that didnt end up a bashing fest...very darn few

konidias
10-30-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by CheeToS2


quantity=money=quality
:\

In no way does money = quality. We are talking about quality of the playerbase. These forums could be alive and jumping and full of people if the players didn't break rules and stuff.

Just because there are more players won't make the quality any better. No one is stopping new players from coming in. We are only removing old players that bring down the quality of the forums.

I don't understand why those people who don't want to pay think the quantity of players is such a big deal. "Omg Graal sux now cus there is barely anyone playing, make it free so more people will play and it will b fun!"

Just a while ago I could have sworn most people were saying 2k1 was getting too crowded and they wished it was a small tightnit community again.

CheeToS2
10-30-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by konidias


In no way does money = quality. We are talking about quality of the playerbase. These forums could be alive and jumping and full of people if the players didn't break rules and stuff.

Just because there are more players won't make the quality any better. No one is stopping new players from coming in. We are only removing old players that bring down the quality of the forums.

I don't understand why those people who don't want to pay think the quantity of players is such a big deal. "Omg Graal sux now cus there is barely anyone playing, make it free so more people will play and it will b fun!"

Just a while ago I could have sworn most people were saying 2k1 was getting too crowded and they wished it was a small tightnit community again.

By quality, I mean server/support quality, aka how you get paid, and how unix keeps the servers up to play on.

zell12
10-30-2002, 06:50 PM
You still don't get my point. ;(
I know there are alot of players who like to bash and flame, but then the mod steps in, and deletes their post, and if the thread starter caused it by the first post, delete the thread.

EliteDeath
10-30-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by konidias


In no way does money = quality. We are talking about quality of the playerbase. These forums could be alive and jumping and full of people if the players didn't break rules and stuff.

Just because there are more players won't make the quality any better. No one is stopping new players from coming in. We are only removing old players that bring down the quality of the forums.

I don't understand why those people who don't want to pay think the quantity of players is such a big deal. "Omg Graal sux now cus there is barely anyone playing, make it free so more people will play and it will b fun!"

Just a while ago I could have sworn most people were saying 2k1 was getting too crowded and they wished it was a small tightnit community again. Small tight community to me is 20 people or so, not the 8 I see on (half of which are staff and their rc)

ZanderX
10-30-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by zell12
You still don't get my point. ;(
I know there are alot of players who like to bash and flame, but then the mod steps in, and deletes their post, and if the thread starter caused it by the first post, delete the thread.

So, what do we do with the magical close button?

Let it sit unused while we delete threads that may have decent content in them?

Woo.

zell12
10-31-2002, 02:58 AM
You just don't get your job as a moderator do you? You just don't sit there and move threads and close them. Oh no, you got a lot more you should be doing. If you don't delete posts, what else are you doing? Basically nothing besides moving threads to the right forum.

ZanderX
10-31-2002, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by zell12
You just don't get your job as a moderator do you? You just don't sit there and move threads and close them. Oh no, you got a lot more you should be doing. If you don't delete posts, what else are you doing? Basically nothing besides moving threads to the right forum.

You just spelled out everything I usually do, which is all that my job title entails.

I moderate.

Googi
10-31-2002, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by konidias

Just a while ago

Replace "Just" with "Quite"

zell12
10-31-2002, 05:39 AM
Kamuii, you have to edit posts, post news and the rules, make sure the threads are in the correct forum, you can delete threads, close them, delete posts... many things. Deleting bad posts in one of them. If you close the thread, then we cannot discuss no more because of the rules. So you are ending all talk about it which is wrong.

ZanderX
10-31-2002, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by zell12
Kamuii, you have to edit posts, post news and the rules, make sure the threads are in the correct forum, you can delete threads, close them, delete posts... many things. Deleting bad posts in one of them. If you close the thread, then we cannot discuss no more because of the rules. So you are ending all talk about it which is wrong.

So, petition vBulletin (Jelsoft) to remove the close thread option and we'll be fine.

zell12
10-31-2002, 06:51 AM
Why not do your job correctly?

ZanderX
10-31-2002, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by zell12
Why not do your job correctly?

Because I do, you just don't seem to understand that when we close threads it's because there's either no room or no reason for further discussion.

if.playersays(not doing job);
player=wrong.



Haha, scripting (not).

zell12
10-31-2002, 06:58 AM
You delete peoples posts and punish them after warnings. They will eventually stop, and if the ENTIRE thread is a big flame war, close it/delete it.

ZanderX
10-31-2002, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by zell12
You delete peoples posts and punish them after warnings.

Not me. What I usually do is delete their posts.

Also: Don't tell me what to do.

zell12 had this to say about a world where cyborgs rule with an iron fist:

They will eventually stop, and if the ENTIRE thread is a big flame war, close it/delete it.

No, no, they won't stop and they usually don't.

Some threads need to be closed or deleted whether they're flame wars or not; the close button exists to be used, so does the delete one, and they are not flamethread specific.

Griffyn
10-31-2002, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by zell12
control their attitudes
Bahahahahahahahahahaha

EliteDeath
10-31-2002, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by ZanderX


I like to go on and on and on and on with my... Power trip.

Brad
10-31-2002, 08:28 AM
ohhhhhhhhh WELLL

HERES THE DEAL.


To make the forums PERFECT let Brad mod the main forum.

Trust me

That = fun + 14

zell12
10-31-2002, 08:36 AM
Then the forums will rox. But you will be fired before you have a chance to do anything. ;-)
And Kamuii, I'm not telling you how to do your job, im saying that is expected of you. Why bother talking to you anyway, I'll ask Unixmad.

ZanderX
10-31-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by zell12

And Kamuii, I'm not telling you how to do your job, im saying that is expected of you. Why bother talking to you anyway, I'll ask Unixmad.

What's expected of me is what the administration expects of me; not what you expect of me.

And I am currently fulfilling all of my job expectations to their fullest extent.

EliteDeath
10-31-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by ZanderX


What's expected of me is what the administration expects of me; not what you expect of me.

And I am currently fulfilling all of my job expectations to their fullest extent, and enjoying my power trip as well.

CheeToS2
10-31-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by ZanderX


Because I do, you just don't seem to understand that when we close threads it's because there's either no room or no reason for further discussion.

if.playersays(not doing job);
player=wrong.



Haha, scripting (not).

close :D

if (playerchats&&strequals(#c,not doing job))
player=false;

zell12
10-31-2002, 10:13 AM
forgot the brackets. { }

Googi
10-31-2002, 10:34 AM
WTF, if.player?

playersays?

Dare I say it? You're worse then me!

ZanderX
10-31-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Googi
WTF, if.player?

playersays?

Dare I say it? You're worse then me!

Haha, who said I was trying Graalscript? ^~

Googi
10-31-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by ZanderX


Haha, who said I was trying Graalscript? ^~

It won't work online if it's not ;).

CheeToS2
10-31-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by zell12
forgot the brackets. { }

you don't need brackets if its only one command :x

zell12
10-31-2002, 07:02 PM
I'm just so use to using them ;P

Loriel
10-31-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Kaimetsu

Also, 'player=false' is not analogous to 'player=wrong'. 'Player=wrong' would work fine if 'wrong' were a predefined variable representing incorrectness. If you were to change it to anything, perhaps 'player.conjecture=false' would be more fitting.

playerhearts = 0; is just fine.