PDA

View Full Version : Swear Filter.

zell12
09-30-2002, 12:14 AM
With every good thing, yet another problem arises. Some words such as 'noo*' and 'Gserber' are blocked but its only going to be a problem when you use in in a certian way.
For instance, why would 'Gserber' be blocked when its short for GameServer? I can see people looking for the 1.28 GameServer would be illegal, but not if we wanted to talk about the current version. It just all depends on the way the words are used. :o

**Had to use slang because I couldn't even talk about this**

gokux33
09-30-2002, 12:16 AM
GServer means GraalServer.

gokux33
09-30-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Kaimetsu
Does it really matter? Not really, no.

konidias
09-30-2002, 02:59 AM
g server has been blocked out for ages.

zell12
09-30-2002, 03:35 AM
I know it has, but I'm trying to get my point accross that ******* is not illegal and if the moderators are too lazy to just ban people talking about the illegal versions and just adding the word to the swear filter, then we need new moderators.

UrashimaX
09-30-2002, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by zell12
I know it has, but I'm trying to get my point accross that ******* is not illegal and if the moderators are too lazy to just ban people talking about the illegal versions and just adding the word to the swear filter, then we need new moderators.

**** *** *** **** ********! ******* ******* ****, **** ****[email protected]

zell12
09-30-2002, 03:56 AM
Lookie! A prime example.

Neonight
09-30-2002, 06:20 AM
Lookie! A prime example.

I can't say **** anymore? :\

I guess that means no more "stfu****"

zell12
09-30-2002, 06:53 AM
guess not. But it still defeats the purpose of one of the moderators tasks, and the swear filter should be for SWEARS! :O

konidias
09-30-2002, 07:45 AM
The word n oob has never been used in a positive way. Newbie just means a new player, but it appears Graal players have adopted n oob as a negative word meaning "stupid player".

Like "you're such a n oob" or "stop being a n oob" or "stupid n oob" It's not nice for new players to be called newbies in that way.

konidias
09-30-2002, 07:47 AM

Um, talk with unixmad about it then. He was the one that put it in the filter. It also protects people from posting links to g servers, since most are like g server.zip or whatever.

It makes moderation easier, it doesn't make mods lazy. Things like profanity and discussion of "g server" is a lot easier to spot when people have to purposely mispell the word or something.

VampiricTutorNewHD
09-30-2002, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by konidias
The word n oob has never been used in a positive way. Newbie just means a new player, but it appears Graal players have adopted n oob as a negative word meaning "stupid player".

Like "you're such a n oob" or "stop being a n oob" or "stupid n oob" It's not nice for new players to be called newbies in that way.

I think this is taking censorship just a tad too far. It's gone past filtering offensive language and now is moving in to common internet terms. It's like censoring LOL from the dialect on these forums. I think that is kind of ridiculous.

Darlene159
09-30-2002, 08:13 AM
lol, are we gonna get all upset because we cant call people n oobs now? Tell me we arent :\

Graal518
09-30-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Darlene159
lol, are we gonna get all upset because we cant call people n oobs now? Tell me we arent :\

I think it's more of a thing that people are upset about all this censorship that's just been brought to light.

konidias
09-30-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by VampiricTutorNewHD

I think this is taking censorship just a tad too far. It's gone past filtering offensive language and now is moving in to common internet terms. It's like censoring LOL from the dialect on these forums. I think that is kind of ridiculous.

I have NEVER heard noo b anywhere else but Graal. LOL isn't offensive. It's the fact that the word n oob brings way too much negativity to the forums. Why are you upset over words that are just causing problems? When are you going to say the word noo b? When you're insulting a player, that's when.

Edit: I would also like to note that the word n oob is infectious when referring to insulting on these forums. I'm tired of seeing "stupid n oob" "stop being a n oob" etc. and obviously there is a word you can use to replace it, and that word is newbie.

Googi
09-30-2002, 09:32 AM

I have NEVER heard noo b anywhere else but Graal. LOL isn't offensive. It's the fact that the word n oob brings way too much negativity to the forums. Why are you upset over words that are just causing problems? When are you going to say the word noo b? When you're insulting a player, that's when.

I've heard it many-a-time on Neopets.

konidias
09-30-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Googi

I've heard it many-a-time on Neopets.

Only because people here play at other places and it spreads.

VampiricTutorNewHD
09-30-2002, 09:37 AM
Exactly. Censorship is needed, to a point. But when the point is crossed, people start getting annoyed.

Googi
09-30-2002, 09:47 AM

Only because people here play at other places and it spreads.

So you're telling me that Graal (A game with 400,000 or so accounts), has caused the widespread use of a word on Neopets (A game with 30,000,000 or so accounts)?

Excalibur
09-30-2002, 12:03 PM
well, thats odd. heh

konidias
09-30-2002, 01:22 PM

So you're telling me that Graal (A game with 400,000 or so accounts), has caused the widespread use of a word on Neopets (A game with 30,000,000 or so accounts)?

Um, it only takes one person using it constantly before others pick it up and start using it too.

zell12
09-30-2002, 05:57 PM
Now then. Go back to the first page, and then you will see this thread of an example of a good use of G-server and n oob

VampiricTutorNewHD
09-30-2002, 09:28 PM
Actually, I used to play Duke Nukem 3D on Kali when I was about 6. **** was a common term on that, and on several other games as well (e.g SC, though I wasn't 6 when I got it).

aylad
10-01-2002, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by VampiricTutorNewHD
Actually, I used to play Duke Nukem 3D on Kali when I was about 6. **** was a common term on that, and on several other games as well (e.g SC, though I wasn't 6 when I got it).

When you were 6? Dude, I think it's been around longer than 2 years...... Ok, ok, I apologize. I didn't mean it. Really. :D

Don't ban me for being insulting..... :D

I think Koni's right about **** though. I mean, censorship is one thing, but people are just too negative sometimes. Lighten up and enjoy the game!

konidias
10-01-2002, 07:18 AM
Yeah, and people make out the filtering like it's the end of the world and it's some big thing, when in reality, it's only taking away about 15 words out of your vocabulary. There are thousands and thousands of words that you can freely use.

None of the filtered words interfere with other words.. Unless you can find a word that has "n oob" in it. :|

zell12
10-01-2002, 07:27 AM
You are going agenst you own rules koni, avoiding the word beting cencored.

Torankusu
10-01-2002, 08:15 AM
You are going agenst you own rules koni, avoiding the word beting cencored. Most of the people here are.

:rolleyes:

Sad, really.

zell12
10-01-2002, 05:25 PM
And its the perfect example that the words should not be cencored because they can be used in a way the admins never thought of, but are too lazy to watch for the bad usage of such words. :o

zell12
10-01-2002, 05:36 PM
No, but I might want to talk about them or mention a word thats cencored because it can be said another way. Then people don't know what the hell im talking about.

zell12
10-02-2002, 01:57 AM
I can't think of one right now. :\

vovavziggy
10-02-2002, 03:55 AM
**** **** ******* ****!

Torankusu
10-02-2002, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by Kaimetsu

Yeah, name ONE situation where it would really matter. Something similar to Valder's "coming out of the closet" thread.

The one where he told people he was *** (starts with a G) and he didn't appreciate other people using the word "***" (starts with an F) as an insult.

Googi
10-02-2002, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Torankusu
Something similar to Valder's "coming out of the closet" thread.

The one where he told people he was *** (starts with a G) and he didn't appreciate other people using the word "***" (starts with an F) as an insult.

Eh, I don't believe homosexual is banned.

Torankusu
10-02-2002, 06:00 AM

Eh, I don't believe homosexual is banned. So?
It's *** and *** being used though. It's just a situation.

Googi
10-02-2002, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Torankusu
So?
It's *** and *** being used though. It's just a situation.

Eh, I was just pointing out that Valder's "coming out of the closet" thread didn't NEED to use words that are banned now.

R0b1n-NPC
10-02-2002, 06:11 AM
***·ot also ***·got Pronunciation Key (***)
n.
A bundle of twigs, sticks, or branches bound together.
A bundle of pieces of iron or steel to be welded or hammered into bars.

tr.v. ***·ot·ed, also ***·got·ed ***·ot·ing, ***·got·ing ***·ots, ***·gots
To bind into a ***ot; bundle.
To decorate with ***oting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English, from Old French, from Old Provençal, possibly from Vulgar Latin *facus, from Greek phakelos, bundle.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

I dont find this word offensive in any way.
Yet it is censored?

Maybe you should look up words on dictionary.com before filtering them.

The word "****" (Begins with an F)
Is only a swear word in the english language, because of it is the norse word for "sex".

Is the word "sex" censored? I think not. I find it vulgar and offensive. Please censor it.

James
10-02-2002, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by R0b1n-NPC
***·ot also ***·got Pronunciation Key (***)
n.
A bundle of twigs, sticks, or branches bound together.
A bundle of pieces of iron or steel to be welded or hammered into bars.

tr.v. ***·ot·ed, also ***·got·ed ***·ot·ing, ***·got·ing ***·ots, ***·gots
To bind into a ***ot; bundle.
To decorate with ***oting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English, from Old French, from Old Provençal, possibly from Vulgar Latin *facus, from Greek phakelos, bundle.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

I dont find this word offensive in any way.
Yet it is censored?

Maybe you should look up words on dictionary.com before filtering them.

The word "****" (Begins with an F)
Is only a swear word in the english language, because of it is the norse word for "sex".

Is the word "sex" censored? I think not. I find it vulgar and offensive. Please censor it.

When you look up a word be sure to put all of it that comes up.

Another entry:
Offensive slang
Used as a disparaging term for a homosexual man.

R0b1n-NPC
10-03-2002, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by James

When you look up a word be sure to put all of it that comes up.

Another entry:
Offensive slang
Used as a disparaging term for a homosexual man.

If that was at the bottom i didnt see it :-P