PDA

View Full Version : Stefan, please read: About gender usage

aran_lesai
05-24-2001, 02:42 PM
It doesn't seem that the gender tags do anything except for the sounds effects, but I think they should be more widely used. The heads need to have set genders. You would still be able to change your head, but only to those appropriate for your gender. Some heads would have to be neuter so they can be used by both genders(like helmets and animals).
This could lead to some great quests, where each gender has a certain item that only it can use. There could be 2 comparable NPC weapons with slight differences. Only males could go on their quest to get their NPC, and likewise with the females. The only problem with this is that gender can be changed, therefore gender should be a fixed character trait that you can't change, like account name. I feel that the gender tag in not currently fully tapped for it's full potential, but could be with the few small improvements mentioned here. If anyone else also has ideas, please feel free to post them.

crbgraal
06-10-2001, 07:40 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! On classic i'm sposed to be a boy but some stuped npc made me a girl, sticking it wold scrue me up worse!

fugitive316
06-10-2001, 08:55 AM
Hey lets keep crossdressers in mind!

DO THEY HAVE NO RIGHTS?

lol

Bhala
06-10-2001, 05:31 PM
uhh well you should have it so only RC can edit it & not NPC

grim_squeaker_x
06-10-2001, 05:33 PM
Ever heard of the flags:
playerismale
playerisfemale
They can be used for different actions dependant on gender, although I think that ifyou're going to make quests and things dependent on it it should only be asked at the beginning of your server which gender you are..

Admins
06-11-2001, 12:36 AM
Yes stuff for male and female would be possible
but we normally don't make it because it would
even mean more work (making stuff for both humans
and bomys is already a lot of work)

Tyhm
06-11-2001, 03:59 AM
A lot of players have their gender set incorrectly, so it's a bit of a problem.
If there were some particular pattern to the heads....say, all female heads had a f at the end, ie head1000f.png, it'd be fine, I could easily script a system NPC to recognize strcontains(#3,f.png) and go from there, but as of right now it's not set that way, and the graphics team can't go renaming and rejecting improperly named heads...yet...

It'd be a lot of work. I'll ask the gfx team, maybe...
it WOULD conserve the head count if you could have head35f.png, head35m.png, head35.png...

Admins
06-11-2001, 09:32 AM
Actually it would be better if you could only set your character like in the human starting town, or
may be there should at least be an npc that lets
you change your gender (?)

Tyhm
06-11-2001, 10:27 AM
On Classic, I'm setting all the predefined/showcharacter costumes so that when you're set to their clothes, you're set to their gender. eg, touch the Tyhm mannikin, and you become male. Touch the Zorbi mannikin, and you become female. If a guy dresses up like a Zorbi, so far as the game's concerned he's female. If he sethead and setbody's himself male again, the game still thinks he's female. It's a problem, but hey, he should not have chosen the Zorbi mannikin then! ^_~

Rekad
06-11-2001, 11:00 AM
uhoh... I gotta watch out for them Zorbi mannekins!!!!!!!

Maduin
06-11-2001, 11:22 AM
speaking of gender problems. whoever changed Shadow (NK)'s head 285.gif to be female sounding needs hit.

manton
06-11-2001, 11:47 AM
The female heads have different sounds?:confused:

WhoopA
06-11-2001, 12:15 PM
Maybe you could make it so that specific bodies have specific genders.

FatherDante
06-11-2001, 02:30 PM
But with the exception of the dress bodies none of the bodies are gender specific.

Although body5 is a pretty masculine body, I guess.

Tyhm
06-11-2001, 04:05 PM
3+5: masculine
4+8: feminine
"",2,6,7,9,10: Neutral
(Though 9 makes a good sumo wrestler, and 10 is sort of wearing a suit)

Either every head has a gender in a database, or in the [email protected][email protected] people just pick a gender when they start and stick with it!

LinkX
06-11-2001, 11:08 PM
Dont forget about body11.png! Either it neeeds to be neutral or male. Because I made it so =P

FatherDante
06-12-2001, 05:08 PM
Body 3 is not masculine! Lots of girls okay that body! Just because it's armor doesn't mean you can marginalize people like that.

And body4 is samurai armor, not a dress or something, so if 3 armor is masculine 4 armor is too.

So overall everything is neutral except bodypeach, bodyking, and body8.

Falcor
06-12-2001, 10:16 PM
You really canbt put a gender on the body, I mean Ive worn body4.png and It looks cool acually.the only body that has a true gender im afraind is body8. but even that isnt gedered cuz anyonwe can use any body they want.

Rekad
06-12-2001, 10:23 PM
the only thing you can add gender to is to the heads, but some have to be neuter cuz they arent really boy or girl

Tyhm
06-13-2001, 05:48 AM
Right, but if a guy with head44 has the option of the boys locker room or the girls locker room, which one does he go into?
If he was formerly using a male head, I'd assume the boys locker room....
if it was formerly a female head, I'd assume the girls locker room...
I still say 3 is male and 4 is female. 3 has broad shoulders and pecs, 4 has, well, breasts. I guess a guy can wear 4 with the right colors and not look like a girl, but it's a close sort of thing. The heads, ya, are more clearly defined genderwise.

Butz
06-13-2001, 08:29 AM
It would be an awful lot of hard work and it may all be in vain if no one decides to actually use the ability to check gender in a quest or something.

aran_lesai
06-17-2001, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Tyhm:
A lot of players have their gender set incorrectly, so it's a bit of a problem.
That's why gender would have to be set at the beginning, and only Admins could change it. Yes, I know it would take a lot of work to actually implement this, but it would be worth it in the long run. I guess you could say there are 3 genders, male, female and neuter, because so many bodies and heads can be used for both. I just think it would be cool to have a gender-related quest (I'm making a small one). The problem with this, though, is that gender can be changed, so people could cheat, and go on both quests. Plus all the bomys and other races would make it way too complicated. I'll try to make a simple gender-based NPCW that deletes itself if you switch gender. That might actually work!
To get gender-specific heads, everything would have to be renamed, but it would make the heads a bit more organized.

Maduin, the sounds are based on the gender tags "playerismale" and "playerisfemale", NOT the head used.

I just think it would make sense if someone who has a male head and body also sounds male, and likewise for female.

aran_lesai
06-17-2001, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by LinkX
Dont forget about body11.png! Either it neeeds to be neutral or male. Because I made it so =P

Where can I get body11.png? I have heard about it, but it isn't listed in the server files, and I already have 2.03. Can you post it so I can d/l it?
thx

crbgraal
06-17-2001, 10:37 PM
just set your body to it. it shold work.