PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying on Graal? No, more like Roleacting.

konidias
08-01-2002, 11:07 PM
Ever since it hit Graal, people have seemed to create their own definition of Graal roleplaying.

However, roleplaying on Graal is, as sad as I am to say this, non-existent. "What do you mean non-existent? I'm Joe Bob the 1337 mage with dark powers!" No Joe Bob, you aren't roleplaying.

This is a common form of "Roleacting". Roleacting occurs when the player must create their own story. When the gameplay is solely based on your character killing monsters to gain levels, and you are making up backgrounds for your character, that can't actually exist, this is Roleacting.

For example, I get on 2k2. What seems to be the main objective? Killing thousands of monsters, so that you can gain levels and become super powerful? Pretty much. This isolates players a lot of the time, as most players tend to go off and fight on their own, which they could easily do in an offline game.

Players roleplay to become part of the game they are playing, while players roleact to get ahead in the game. The common thread that is holding back true roleplay on Graal, is that things are designed via "Character Advancement". When a player can simply go sit in a corner and kill monsters all day, they become isolated, and it is not roleplay. No matter if you have a whole storyline written about your character, and detailed background information, the character is still roleacting.

To get into the roleplaying aspect, there are several things that can be done. First, there needs to be plenty of ways to contribute to the "community" of the server. Such as helping to build something in the game, having festivals, wars, anything that the player can help be a part of.

Events should NOT be silly minigames, but things that happen in the world which a player can take a part in. Like houses catching on fire, and players rushing with their water cans trying to put it out. Even small things such as a calendar with monthly/weekly events will bring more roleplaying towards the server. Have holidays for the world, and not just holidays on christmas and halloween, but create new holidays.

These events do not have to be difficult and definitely shouldn't take weeks to plan and make. However, as long as the players are frequently involved, roleplaying will be stronger.

The biggest problem with Graal, is that most people roleact, and gain lots of items and stats, just to lock them all away like a hermit and brag to others of their hard work. This causes things such as scamming, players only caring for themselves, players stabbing eachother in the back if they get an opportunity to advance because of it, etc.

Roleplaying isn't mandatory, players have a choice in whether they would like to roleact, or roleplay. However, roleacting IS mandatory, as the players have no other option, since everything is based around character advancement.

What are your thoughts? :)

magicbud3344
08-01-2002, 11:10 PM
i am a sad joe bob

jeff335
08-02-2002, 12:07 AM
You are wrong when you say roleacting is mandatory. People can play the game without any sort of RA or RP.

Megamaniac
08-02-2002, 12:32 AM
he means you have no choice you have to RA because building up your character and gettin stuff is the goal of the game

_0AfTeRsHoCk0_
08-02-2002, 12:36 AM
RA can be intergrated in RP. Suppose you and a few soldiers go out adventuring into the wild to catch some food. You can still level up and role-play, in a sense, but until kingdoms come out there will be no RP'ing

ghostsamurai
08-02-2002, 12:37 AM
Neonight:

Oh.. Damnit... Just another thread Konidias made to whine and gripe at.

konidias
08-02-2002, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by ghostsamurai
Neonight:

Oh.. Damnit... Just another thread Konidias made to whine and gripe at.

Um, excuse me? I'm not whining and griping at anything. Get off your damn high horse and friggin read the thread. I was giving some suggestions to help improve Graal, and you come in here being negative. :mad:

ghostsamurai
08-02-2002, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by konidias

Um, excuse me? I'm not whining and griping at anything. Get off your damn high horse and friggin read the thread. I was giving some suggestions to help improve Graal, and you come in here being negative. :mad:

Neonight:

Hmm.....

Events should NOT be silly minigames, but things that happen in the world which a player can take a part in. Like houses catching on fire, and players rushing with their water cans trying to put it out. Even small things such as a calendar with monthly/weekly events will bring more roleplaying towards the server. Have holidays for the world, and not just holidays on christmas and halloween, but create new holidays.

These events do not have to be difficult and definitely shouldn't take weeks to plan and make. However, as long as the players are frequently involved, roleplaying will be stronger.

The biggest problem with Graal, is that most people roleact, and gain lots of items and stats, just to lock them all away like a hermit and brag to others of their hard work. This causes things such as scamming, players only caring for themselves, players stabbing eachother in the back if they get an opportunity to advance because of it, etc.

Sure as hell sounds like you're griping to me.

stomper_TK
08-02-2002, 12:54 AM
I roleplay as a white trash hick with a mullet. :D

"Woman get your ass back here so I can get your ass lie detecer'd so I know ya' ain't cheating on me!" -That's roleplaying.

konidias
08-02-2002, 12:59 AM

Neonight:

Hmm.....

Sure as hell sounds like you're griping to me.

Do you get some sort of thrill out of attempting to start arguements? I was simply suggesting things I would like to see on Graal, and none of that is complaining. I might dislike how things are done, but I'm not saying "omg get rid of this crap and put this in" You're the one being pessimistic, not me.

I wonder how many personal points you have rewarded yourself for trying to look cool by posting your little one liner remarks. "just another koni whining thread" You're just another sheep in the herd. At least I attempt to make Graal better instead of just saying everything is fine and dandy when it clearly isn't.

ghostsamurai
08-02-2002, 01:20 AM

Do you get some sort of thrill out of attempting to start arguements? I was simply suggesting things I would like to see on Graal, and none of that is complaining. I might dislike how things are done, but I'm not saying "omg get rid of this crap and put this in" You're the one being pessimistic, not me.

I wonder how many personal points you have rewarded yourself for trying to look cool by posting your little one liner remarks. "just another koni whining thread" You're just another sheep in the herd. At least I attempt to make Graal better instead of just saying everything is fine and dandy when it clearly isn't.

Neonight:

No. You, sir, are always arguing. In 95% of the posts you've made, you argue in them. Once you started being a hypocrite, I turned Anti-Konidias. Each day you seem to get more and more annoying. "Personal points" do not exist. It was a joke. All of that crap is a joke about points. It was used out long ago, yet you still keep going on and on about them. You have attempted few things to make Graal better. Not one thing you have done could not have been done by somebody else. If you say I'm just another sheep in the herd, I find it odd that you think of yourself as a Shepherd, yet everyone else is just a "sheep."

zell12
08-02-2002, 01:28 AM
All I'm saying is that I agree with what Koni is saying, and that neonight is a jackass for contuning this argument because he doesn't want to amit when he is wrong.

ghostsamurai
08-02-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by zell12
All I'm saying is that I agree with what Koni is saying, and that neonight is a jackass for contuning this argument because he doesn't want to amit when he is wrong.

Neonight:

What am I to admit? You know just as well as I do that he makes many complaint threads. Now, granted, I do agree with some of his ideas, but why would this not go into the Suggestions place? I'm basically saying that I'm tired of seeing complaint threads. I suppose the ignore button'll do. Then again, I see you're mad at me for asking Jagen to take away your PM Monster items when you warped into my event and started shooting.

zell12
08-02-2002, 01:36 AM
I didn't even know this was you, im not mad at all, I was actually having fun, still running around shooting people :p Besides, Jagen can't do much to me, we will just morph eachother alot, then he edits my account, then I get my items back. etc... etc... Getting on topic now. Koni's Suggestions are great. I totally agree with him because I see it happen. Even during a RP event. *cough* Samurai *cough*

ghostsamurai
08-02-2002, 01:49 AM
I didn't even know this was you, im not mad at all, I was actually having fun, still running around shooting people :p Besides, Jagen can't do much to me, we will just morph eachother alot, then he edits my account, then I get my items back. etc... etc... Getting on topic now. Koni's Suggestions are great. I totally agree with him because I see it happen. Even during a RP event. *cough* Samurai *cough*

Neonight:

This is what I'm saying:

I do agree with some of Konidias' suggestions, but most of his "suggestions" end up with the same goal all suggestions have. :(

zell12
08-02-2002, 01:57 AM
Why can't you say, "Koni, I like your suggestions, but where you say Blah Blah, and This and that, I think its not needs because, blah blah blah..." and so on... Not "Oh no, not another koni complaining thread, go to hell, you, I hate you, im anti-koni". There is a border between positive and negitive critism. Its not ment to be crossed on here. So don't cross it. Give Positive Critism.

ghostsamurai
08-02-2002, 02:15 AM
Why can't you say, "Koni, I like your suggestions, but where you say Blah Blah, and This and that, I think its not needs because, blah blah blah..." and so on... Not "Oh no, not another koni complaining thread, go to hell, you, I hate you, im anti-koni". There is a border between positive and negitive critism. Its not ment to be crossed on here. So don't cross it. Give Positive Critism.

Neonight:

I can't do that. I was not born with that ability. If he's going to start arguments in my "fun threads," then I'm going to start mine in his threads.

DeathChill
08-02-2002, 02:19 AM

Neonight:

I can't do that. I was not born with that ability. If he's going to start arguments in my "fun threads," then I'm going to start mine in his threads. I see, so can you tell the difference between I can't believe it's not butter and real butter?

ghostsamurai
08-02-2002, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by DeathChill
I see, so can you tell the difference between I can't believe it's not butter and real butter?

Neonight:

I've never tried. I don't eat much stuff with butter on it. ;)

Ghost Pirate
08-02-2002, 03:14 AM
Can't we all just get along...or must we act like graalians?

stomper_TK
08-02-2002, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by Ghost Pirate
Can't we all just get along...or must we act like graalians?

On these forums one is not alloud to type the words "get" or "along" in the same sentance.