PDA

View Full Version : About magic.

freddyfox
07-30-2002, 09:49 AM
Oy, we need a better casting system. Mages will be at a dis-advantage when fighting, because any good warrior can slice them 3 times while they're busy typing out /cast icestorm.

Here's an idea. Put a little dropdown menu in the top-left corner of your screen that displays all the spells you have memorized. When someone selects that spell via mouse, it is "readied." Then, it can be cast by pressing the "D" key. (Since D doesn't appear to do anything currently.) It would have a small cast time, the time depending on how powerful the spell is.

Also, I think spell effects should be improved. (If this is already planned, great, ignore this part of the post.)

AlexH
07-30-2002, 09:52 AM
D uses my shield.
But the drop down menu for magic is a good idea. :)
I never did like the way the magic worked.
ALso they should have ganis for the spells so it looks a little better during casting.

haunter
07-30-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by AlexH
D uses my shield.
But the drop down menu for magic is a good idea. :)
I never did like the way the magic worked.
ALso they should have ganis for the spells so it looks a little better during casting.

Yes, perhaps use another key near by like W or E.

Kaimetsu
07-30-2002, 11:55 PM
I just PMed Unixmad offering my Black & White ripoff system. I'll see what he thinks of it.

Vyse_the_Blue_Rogue
07-31-2002, 12:50 AM
and magic needs to stop hurting the wizards

ldhfd
07-31-2002, 07:08 AM
wizards jsut hide in water when u attack them and then when the finish typing the spell they'll chase u around and kept casting it.

Hiker
07-31-2002, 07:13 AM
It would be nice to be able to bind certain spells to keys.

(btw, I smell like wood today. :p )

konidias
07-31-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Kaimetsu
I just PMed Unixmad offering my Black & White ripoff system. I'll see what he thinks of it.

nooooooo that's for Oasis! :( :( :(

Kaimetsu
08-01-2002, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by konidias

nooooooo that's for Oasis! :( :( :(

They can both have it. At least this will give me an incentive to finish it.

AlexH
08-01-2002, 02:14 AM

Could you explain what that is?
I've never played Black and White. :(

Dark-Dragoon
08-01-2002, 02:29 AM
If you moved your mouse cursor in like, a spiral, then wierd designs, you would cast spells.

MasterNuke
08-01-2002, 06:18 AM
Maybe like hold a button like C or R and a sidebar pops up with little spell icons and you click or press 1-9 to cast a spell?

just my 5 cents...

Er1c
08-01-2002, 08:27 AM
I just PMed Unixmad offering my Black & White ripoff system. I'll see what he thinks of it. Spells and casting is all built into the mudlib... there's no way to implement that, or to even find out which spells the player can cast.

Yesterday we were working on a staff (actually it was the pliers, but hey, same thing) that you could set to the S key and bind a spell to useing the "/cast <spell name>" command. Then when you fire the staff (pliers) the spell would be casted.

Aestus
08-01-2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Er1c
Spells and casting is all built into the mudlib... there's no way to implement that, or to even find out which spells the player can cast.

Yesterday we were working on a staff (actually it was the pliers, but hey, same thing) that you could set to the S key and bind a spell to useing the "/cast <spell name>" command. Then when you fire the staff (pliers) the spell would be casted.

Except staffs cost several thousand platinum, and oops, it's impossible to change the prices. What the hell is this damn mudlib you keep talking about, and why can't you change it? It's really nobody's loss but your own if you can't implement Kai's magic system. I think it'd be worth getting Stefan to recode a few lines for a system so incredibly superior to the one you have now, or even the one you're planning on implementing.

Python523
08-01-2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Aestus

Except staffs cost several thousand platinum, and oops, it's impossible to change the prices. What the hell is this damn mudlib you keep talking about, and why can't you change it? It's really nobody's loss but your own if you can't implement Kai's magic system. I think it'd be worth getting Stefan to recode a few lines for a system so incredibly superior to the one you have now, or even the one you're planning on implementing.
mudlibs are basically built-in scripts, stefan and unixmad use them on 2k2, I have no idea how they work or what they are coded in but I believe it has something to do with that /reloadscriptlibs that has disappeared from the 2k1 RC

Er1c
08-01-2002, 09:56 AM
I agree, I'd like to see a lot of things changed... but it's a lot of work to do that now that almost everything is hardcoded into the NPC server's mudlib.

Er1c
08-01-2002, 09:57 AM
Oh, and by the way, you would start with a basic staff.

Python523
08-01-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Er1c
I agree, I'd like to see a lot of things changed... but it's a lot of work to do that now that almost everything is hardcoded into the NPC server's mudlib.
could you please explain what these mublibs are? I think what I said before is accurate enough but I have no way of confirming it

Er1c
08-01-2002, 10:05 AM
the mud lib is a C library that the NPC server uses for new commands, items, spells, and just about everything on graal2002

konidias
08-01-2002, 10:24 PM
Yeah, basically I'm guessing stuff like stats, damage, item weight, prices, etc, are all stored in the mudlib. It would explain how all this stuff is kept stored. It's highly difficult to make good storage otherwise.

Kaimetsu
08-02-2002, 12:19 AM
Yuck. I guess that lets Unixmad get involved, but it really limits the amount of people who can work on the stuff.