PDA

View Full Version : Alchemy

unixmad
07-26-2002, 11:16 PM
In a few days monsters (when killed) will drop ingredients that can be used for Alchemy, some ingredients will be more rare than other.

Alchemy is a sub-type of wizardry . Being an alchemist is easy; you need to satisfy the following:

* Be able to cast the alchemy spell.
* Have access to a cauldron ( can be bought in shop )
* Have some ingredients.

To create something put ingredients in the cauldron, then cast the 'alchemy' incantation . You might make something :). Be warned though! backfire effects are possible, especially if you throw a lot of stuff in the pot. In fact, the more junk which is in the cauldron, the worse any potential backfire is likely to be. Backfire generally occurs when you get the ingredients wrong but low-level alchemists attempting very difficult (4+ ingredient) formulae may have problems too!

In order to get better at making stuff, you will need to learn the alchemy skill. Books found in shops (and elsewhere) will give you formulae for making stuff

cshank4
07-26-2002, 11:20 PM
Sounds nice Unixmad! You guys are doing a great job with the game... Just, fix the thieves up a lil so there more rounded...same with the wizards

Qwert616
07-26-2002, 11:21 PM
yes! I'm definately going to be an Alchemist.

I suppose that since Alchemist are item based that they will kind of be picked on by thieves?

There should be a mixture that explodes when stolen. >=)

cshank4
07-26-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Qwert616
yes! I'm definately going to be an Alchemist.

I suppose that since Alchemist are item based that they will kind of be picked on by thieves?

There should be a mixture that explodes when stolen. >=)
read my thread about the weapon classes in the suggestions!

magicbud3344
07-26-2002, 11:24 PM
that would be funny!
but that would be cheap if everyone had that but i could picture me stealing from you and BOOM no more thief shoes

DragonX2
07-26-2002, 11:24 PM
Nice...
I have alchemy and I am a warrior, I love that I started out with a scroll of alchemy :) I already have my alchemy skill (well mental skill) to level 2, almost 3, before the NPC-Server just crashed. I didn't know you had this many things planned out, you are doing a great job on Graal 2002 :) Any clue as to when Stefan will return so he can script these things up?

VampiricTutorNewHD
07-26-2002, 11:25 PM
Sounds nice. But I think we need NPC server un-frozen before we can accomplish this.

Qwert616
07-26-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by magicbud3344
that would be funny!
but that would be cheap if everyone had that but i could picture me stealing from you and BOOM no more thief shoes

Well, it would probably be hard (and dangerous) to find ingredients that can make something explode on certain impact.

But the mixture could sell for a lot...

AlexH
07-26-2002, 11:27 PM
All that's been going up for me is my physique.
It's level 2 and has 2217 exp.
I wouldn't mind knowing some simple magic.
Something that makes my hunger rate go down slower would be nice. :)

cshank4
07-26-2002, 11:27 PM
that would be funny!

Thief1: I coulda sworn that yellow stuff looked like honey
Thief2: yaya thas what they all say now get back in line
*thousands of thieves are lined up at the gates of hades >=)*
I think the effect should be like a large mushroom cloud were the theif WAS!

Qwert616
07-26-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by cshank4

Thief1: I coulda sworn that yellow stuff looked like honey
Thief2: yaya thas what they all say now get back in line
*thousands of thieves are lined up at the gates of hades >=)*
I think the effect should be like a large mushroom cloud were the theif WAS!

Well, maybe it shouldn't be that strong. Just enough to stun the thief or do a little damage. Besides, the item may drop in value if it kills the person who was holding it, as well as the thief. O_o

read my thread about the weapon classes in the suggestions!

I can't find it.

magicbud3344
07-26-2002, 11:42 PM
and if your a really high level you can steal it without setting it off, but if your a higher level alchamest you can make a super better one, and if an alchamest sold one to a thief then the thief used it so other thieves couldn't steal XD

VampiricTutorNewHD
07-26-2002, 11:44 PM
You should get combos so that if a thief steals it, and opens it, it is acidic in nature and burns through them.

cshank4
07-27-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Qwert616

I can't find it.
http://forums.graal2001.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34238

haunter
07-27-2002, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by unixmad
Be warned though! backfire effects are possible, especially if you throw a lot of stuff in the pot. In fact, the more junk which is in the cauldron, the worse any potential backfire is likely to be. Backfire generally occurs when you get the ingredients wrong but low-level alchemists attempting very difficult (4+ ingredient) formula may have problems too!

Perhaps you should make it so you could get other instruments to use along with the cauldron, and it would lower the chance of the brew backfireing, or perhaps make the final substance more powerful?

screen_name
07-28-2002, 12:13 AM
i always enjoyed the basis for alchemy, thats the only class i enjoy :)

although i wish the monsters would drop stuff for me :)

AlexH
07-28-2002, 12:29 AM
What kind of spells will we be able to make with alchemy?

screen_name
07-28-2002, 04:17 PM
im not sure if you make spells, but i know you make potions and various other things of the sort

im trying to level up so i can kill more difficult creatures so i can cast alchemy on the loot :)

kyle0654
08-02-2002, 02:42 AM
Huh...sounds a bit familiar (takes a peak over at Gandarian)

oh well, if you're trying to kill New World I guess some of the concepts should at least be put to use...

DeathChill
08-02-2002, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by kyle0654
Huh...sounds a bit familiar (takes a peak over at Gandarian)

oh well, if you're trying to kill New World I guess some of the concepts should at least be put to use...
:(
Poor poor Kyle~ MY NAME IS KYLE TOO!MAYBE WE'RE NOT RELATED!

They're stealing all your NW's ideas ;(

Er1c
08-02-2002, 05:42 AM
I bought a scroll of alchemy (as a sorcerer, mostly because I was able to afford it), I used the scroll, and I succeded at learning it. When I checked my skills I didn't have alchemy... I think something's wrong with using scrolls you buy, but I can't test it more because I dont have 10273412347 platinum coins

magicbud3344
08-02-2002, 05:55 AM
i bought a scroll of the flu for 24 platnums...took em forever to get taht much...then i tried to learn it and all it said was, you read the scroll, then taht was it :[!

DragonX2
08-02-2002, 06:04 AM
i bought a scroll of the flu for 24 platnums...took em forever to get taht much...then i tried to learn it and all it said was, you read the scroll, then taht was it :[!

Say
/invoke create flu
or
/cast create flu
or whatever the spell name is and people around you should get the flu :]

Er1c
08-02-2002, 06:11 AM
"/invoke" or "/cast" will give you a list of the spells you can use. Create flu should be in there somewhere.... unless the same thing that happened to me happened to you and you got grifted by the crazy shop owner

MasterNuke
08-02-2002, 07:06 AM
Most/All of the scrolls in the shops are 1 time use scrolls....

magicbud3344
08-02-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Er1c
"/invoke" or "/cast" will give you a list of the spells you can use. Create flu should be in there somewhere.... unless the same thing that happened to me happened to you and you got grifted by the crazy shop owner

you mean th shop owner can scam!? :(

ChocoboGrn
08-03-2002, 09:36 AM
Okay, in order to lower item prices, you have to IDENTIFY the item first...or get someone to identify it.

Books/Scrolls ------------------> /use_skill literacy (learn from the scroll of literacy)

Rings ----------------------> /use_skill jeweler (learn from the scroll of appraisement)

Amulets/Potions/Alchemy Ingredients -------> /use_skill alchemy (learn from the scroll of alchemy)

Thats all I know for now. Note that there are TWO scrolls of alchemy, one teaches you the skill and costs 150 platinum and other is for the spell (wizardry spell) that automatically casts alchemy, which can turn nearby items into small gold nuggets.

The scroll that teaches you the skill is called the "scroll of alchemy" and is white. The scroll that uses the spell is called the "scroll of alchemy (lvl 1)"

Oh yeah, and there's also a Book of alchemy that TEACHES you the magical spell alchemy...

I think it's like that for most spells, theres a book and a scroll. The scroll is obviously cheaper cause it's a one time thing while the book allows you to learn the spell and cast it as long as you have wizardry, prayer, or whatever skill you need.

Thats as much as i know for now. :D
Restarting so much helps you learn what skills do what...

DragonX2
08-07-2002, 11:44 AM
For now I will unsticky this thread so that there aren't to many sticky's. If unixmad wants to re-sticky it, he can.

ldhfd
08-07-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by unixmad
In a few days monsters (when killed) will drop ingredients that can be used for Alchemy, some ingredients will be more rare than other.

Alchemy is a sub-type of wizardry . Being an alchemist is easy; you need to satisfy the following:

* Be able to cast the alchemy spell.
* Have access to a cauldron ( can be bought in shop )
* Have some ingredients.

To create something put ingredients in the cauldron, then cast the 'alchemy' incantation . You might make something :). Be warned though! backfire effects are possible, especially if you throw a lot of stuff in the pot. In fact, the more junk which is in the cauldron, the worse any potential backfire is likely to be. Backfire generally occurs when you get the ingredients wrong but low-level alchemists attempting very difficult (4+ ingredient) formulae may have problems too!

In order to get better at making stuff, you will need to learn the alchemy skill. Books found in shops (and elsewhere) will give you formulae for making stuff
*few days later**waits