PDA

View Full Version : Why All The New Pws???

Frolic_RC2
07-22-2002, 12:14 AM
I just don't understand you people. More then 90% of the PWs in production right now either:

----------------------------------
Won't make it online

Make it online but have royal crap, making the owner rather have it offline and not take the abuse

Make it online but won't be able to compete with the other PWs being made

With that in mind, why do you bother? For the most part, even if you make a graal standard server, how do you plan on competing with those servers BEYOND graal standard?

Its just annoying coming to these boards, then seeing "STARTING NEW PLAYERWORLD I WANT STAFF COME LOOK" then see a post telling nothing of the PW and asking for staff, or showing a comprehensive story with a crappy screenshot, or asking for staff and showing a crappy screenshot.

In my opinion, you are wasting your time, and I suggest you stop working on it now.

TheUnrealP2P
07-22-2002, 12:17 AM
Why dont we merge all the servers together and make a giant server called:
Noobsville
Newbie Land
Teh city of TownsNoob
Noobfield
etc etc etc

Aknts
07-22-2002, 12:20 AM
Haha, Soul Blade we must share the same brain. I posted basically the exact same thing in Brad's house thread. :p

Frolic_RC2
07-22-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Aknts
Haha, Soul Blade we must share the same brain. I posted basically the exact same thing in Brad's house thread. :p

Roflol I better go see this...what I said is true though, lets see how many of these "new and cool PWs" get online.

darkriders_p2p
07-22-2002, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Frolic_RC2

Roflol I better go see this...what I said is true though, lets see how many of these "new and cool PWs" get online.

probably not many, but u should still keep in mind that like 1 out of every 50 "upcomming PW's" are quite promissing, but sadly most people working on them dont realize how much work is involved and quit working after a while...

Spark910
07-22-2002, 01:21 AM
I just don't understand you people. More then 90% of the PWs in production right now either:

Won't make it online

Make it online but have royal crap, making the owner rather have it offline and not take the abuse

Make it online but won't be able to compete with the other PWs being made

With that in mind, why do you bother? For the most part, even if you make a graal standard server, how do you plan on competing with those servers BEYOND graal standard?

Its just annoying coming to these boards, then seeing "STARTING NEW PLAYERWORLD I WANT STAFF COME LOOK" then see a post telling nothing of the PW and asking for staff, or showing a comprehensive story with a crappy screenshot, or asking for staff and showing a crappy screenshot.

In my opinion, you are wasting your time, and I suggest you stop working on it now.

Some may be good, and they do it because the current PW's may have nothing to offer, or they think they could make it for players and get lots on it.

Torankusu
07-22-2002, 01:29 AM
20 playerworlds between only 300 people is plain stupid. if there were more people, these playerworlds probably wouldn't be considered ****, because popularity is all you people seem to base it off of at times.

darkriders_p2p
07-22-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Spark910

Some may be good, and they do it because the current PW's may have nothing to offer, or they think they could make it for players and get lots on it.

And dont forget some n00bs who just start a project so the can get a bit of power, cuz they couldn't become staff anywhere else...

Tohz
07-22-2002, 01:36 AM
Still a pathetic and complaining threat-_-

Frolic_RC2
07-22-2002, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Torankusu
20 playerworlds between only 300 people is plain stupid. if there were more people, these playerworlds probably wouldn't be considered ****, because popularity is all you people seem to base it off of at times.

Let me ask you something...what makes a PW popular? Ah...I see...PWs which have quality stuff usually attracts attention, making them popular.

Frolic_RC2
07-22-2002, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Spark910

Is that REALLY the reason? Do you ACTUALLY believe that? I am making my PW because I enjoy makng it, not because others will enjoy playing it, though I will enjoy hearing what they think of it. It may seem mean, but its the truth.

Many other do it just so they have some demented form of power in there minds, or because they think they will control something people actually play.

But really, some may say "I'm doing it for the players" but almost 99% of the time, is that really true? Really now, do you think its true? I don't.

Aknts
07-22-2002, 02:45 AM
Soul Blade, you're right for the most part, however, I don't think "99%" of all pw owners just lie about making pw's for the players.

I'm making Oasis for the following reasons:
- I like making a playerworld
- I want to control the playerworld and make it the best one online
- I want to be 100% in charge of everything that goes on with it. (not like power hungry but I want to have a say in the things that happen)
- I want to make a pw that doesn't contain idiots, bad staff, and corruption
- I want to set a higher standard for current pw's and playerworlds to come

Emphasis on the last one. Imagine... if a playerworld came out, and it completely blew away every other pw online, in every single aspect, it would change Graal pw's forever. PW owners would reevaluate the quality of their playerworlds. PW's in development would try to be of equal or better quality than the awesome pw.

I want to make a playerworld that people will have something to compare crappier pw's to. It's like "look at this awesome pw, then look at what you're making, you need to make it a LOT better" or "look at this awesome pw, and then look at the one you're managing currently" It would increase the quality of all pw's, because either they increased their quality, or they lose all their players to the awesome pw's. :)

Torankusu
07-22-2002, 02:51 AM

Let me ask you something...what makes a PW popular? Ah...I see...PWs which have quality stuff usually attracts attention, making them popular. Look at Shaded Legends. It is built wonderfully, but does not have a lot of players. I would play on it before I would oasis or murasamune any day.

Aknts
07-22-2002, 03:01 AM
Look at Shaded Legends. It is built wonderfully, but does not have a lot of players. I would play on it before I would oasis or murasamune any day.

Your opinion is moot since you judge playerworlds before you even play them.

Torankusu
07-22-2002, 03:11 AM

Your opinion is moot since you judge playerworlds before you even play them. yeah. i sit around and don't inspect them. wow.

Aknts
07-22-2002, 03:14 AM
yeah. i sit around and don't inspect them. wow.

You've inspected Murasamune and Oasis?

Torankusu
07-22-2002, 03:16 AM

You've inspected Murasamune and Oasis? How many other people have? Think about what you're saying here. It's not just my opinion you're calling moot, but everyone that thinks they (oasis and murasamune) will "own."

Aknts
07-22-2002, 03:19 AM
How many other people have? Think about what you're saying here. It's not just my opinion you're calling moot, but everyone that thinks they will "own."

What does this have to do with you saying that you would rather play an online playerworld over two that you haven't even played yet? Unless you have played all 3, your statement nulls itself out.

How do you know that those playerworlds will not be of better quality? Sure you inspect playerworlds, but you're not psychic.

What are some of the great aspects of Shaded Legend? I've played it before, and aside from the snazzy menu, I see nothing to do. I see levels with grass and flowers just randomly filled in, tons of empty houses, and absolutely nothing to keep me playing there.

Torankusu
07-22-2002, 03:24 AM

What does this have to do with you saying that you would rather play an online playerworld over two that you haven't even played yet? Unless you have played all 3, your statement nulls itself out.

Your statement should have the same reaction to everybody's opinion. My example was pointing out how you are nullifying my opinion because I do not favor your playerworld, and murasamune, but other people that do (and have not also played on [email protected]) have an opinion that is not moot!

How do you know that those playerworlds will not be of better quality? Sure you inspect playerworlds, but you're not psychic.
You can't prove that.

I don't know much, but what I do know, with all of these fancy graphics and new systems, I would prefer a classic playerworld over some super high-tech playerworld with nice graphics and a creature.

What are some of the great aspects of Shaded Legend? I've played it before, and aside from the snazzy menu, I see nothing to do. I see levels with grass and flowers just randomly filled in, tons of empty houses, and absolutely nothing to keep me playing there. The storyline is nice, until it branches off to the questing part, which I can't seem to find a lot. I'd prefer to play at Classic, than shaded legend or murasamune/oasis any time, then.

Aknts
07-22-2002, 03:33 AM

Your statement should have the same reaction to everybody's opinion. My example was pointing out how you are nullifying my opinion because I do not favor your playerworld, and murasamune, but other people that do (and have not also played on [email protected]) have an opinion that is not moot!

Did I say that people who said Oasis rocked were right? You assume this. Nobody but me knows what Oasis is really going to be like, so yes, all opinions about it that aren't by me, do not hold any ground since no one has played it.

It has nothing to do with you not favoring my pw. It has to do with the fact that you are stating one pw is better than two you have never even played. That's like saying one car is better than two that you have never driven, even if those two could possibly be 10 times as good.

You're also basing your opinion of my pw on a couple graphics and snapshots. You completely rule out my playerworld as fun in your opinion just because you don't want to play a game with creatures and high-tech features in it? My menu system is no more complex to use than Shaded Legend's is. You speak of things you do not know, as if you know all about them.

Torankusu
07-22-2002, 03:36 AM

Did I say that people who said Oasis rocked were right? You assume this. Nobody but me knows what Oasis is really going to be like, so yes, all opinions about it that aren't by me, do not hold any ground since no one has played it.

It has nothing to do with you not favoring my pw. It has to do with the fact that you are stating one pw is better than two you have never even played. That's like saying one car is better than two that you have never driven, even if those two could possibly be 10 times as good.

You're also basing your opinion of my pw on a couple graphics and snapshots. You completely rule out my playerworld as fun in your opinion just because you don't want to play a game with creatures and high-tech features in it? My menu system is no more complex to use than Shaded Legend's is. You speak of things you do not know, as if you know all about them.
shaded legends doesn't have bodies that "need more gani attributes."

by the way. i'm done. you can continue to talk about your playerworld. I doubt I'll really enjoy it, and I was just stating my opinion. No need to tell anybody they're wrong for having an opinion.

Aknts
07-22-2002, 03:39 AM

shaded legends doesn't have bodies that "need more gani attributes."

How does this affect gameplay? The Oasis characters will look normal when you play. They have lots of attributes because you can change their clothing and armor and things. You don't HAVE to do this. You can just play with the character as default and never change a thing. Shaded Legend uses old bodies that you change colors with. Oasis has new bodies that you change clothes with. Complexity = 0

Torankusu
07-22-2002, 03:40 AM
by the way. i'm done. you can continue to talk about your playerworld. I doubt I'll really enjoy it, and I was just stating my opinion. No need to tell anybody they're wrong for having an opinion.

Faheria_LAT3
07-22-2002, 03:44 AM
mmmmkay: It's not just you two who think alike, I'm sure there are many people who think that, because it is so blatantly obvious. http://forums.graal2001.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33468

Aknts
07-22-2002, 03:47 AM

Your opinion matters because you are part of the PW Administration. PW Administration shouldn't be basing opinions on playerworld's they have not even played. Can you imagine how it would be to have to send a pw to you? Well gee, this guy already told me he doesn't like my pw at all yet he is supposed to review it. Really encouraging genius. Let's not be smug and post stupid replies like "i'm done" as if you're so manly that you can leave the arguement. Wow Torankusu, you are so cool. :rolleyes:

Torankusu
07-22-2002, 03:51 AM

Your opinion matters because you are part of the PW Administration. PW Administration shouldn't be basing opinions on playerworld's they have not even played. Can you imagine how it would be to have to send a pw to you? Well gee, this guy already told me he doesn't like my pw at all yet he is supposed to review it. Really encouraging genius. Let's not be smug and post stupid replies like "i'm done" as if you're so manly that you can leave the arguement. Wow Torankusu, you are so cool. :rolleyes: You're right, in a way. We would know about it if you people didn't keep going around the submissions. (excluding murasamune.)

"I'm done."

Want the thread to be closed or deleted? I don't see much of a point in this thread, considering mmmkay's is still here.

Xbob42
07-22-2002, 03:53 AM
"Can't get a position on a playerworld that asks for help but says they don't need help."

Not mentioning any names, but it seems there are a few current online playerworlds that are going by this extremely weird saying.
So others just go on with their own projects.

The second thing you'll notice is half of them are composed of RC hungry people and people that produce. Sadly not all can be accomplished if there's not a team effort.

Brad
07-22-2002, 04:01 AM
I'm a newbie for trying to start a pw. ok.

Xbob42
07-22-2002, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Brad
I'm a newbie for trying to start a pw. ok.

RAWR! I love your signature. ;)

Frolic_RC2
07-22-2002, 06:04 AM
You're right, in a way. We would know about it if you people didn't keep going around the submissions. (excluding murasamune.)

Heh was about to confront you on that, then I saw the "(excluding murasamune.)".

But really now, konidias is right about one thing, you openly confront Oasis and Murasamune, as a PW reviewer...it doesn't make us very confident of getting a unbiased review from submitting to you, those kinds of things make us want to try to get around the reviewers.

Heh, no offense, but I kind of wish Psyker was still around =/. I have seen alot of PW reviewers, and I have always wondered why some let garbage go up, or have bad reviews, or are biased...Psyker was none of these. And don't say "well you say that only because he passed Murasamune" because nearly ALL of the reviewers have passed Murasamune. I just feel Psyker did the best overall job, sadly usually those who do great things leave quicker then those who don't =/.

Torankusu
07-22-2002, 06:14 AM

Heh was about to confront you on that, then I saw the "(excluding murasamune.)".

But really now, konidias is right about one thing, you openly confront Oasis and Murasamune, as a PW reviewer...it doesn't make us very confident of getting a unbiased review from submitting to you, those kinds of things make us want to try to get around the reviewers.

Heh, no offense, but I kind of wish Psyker was still around =/. I have seen alot of PW reviewers, and I have always wondered why some let garbage go up, or have bad reviews, or are biased...Psyker was none of these. And don't say "well you say that only because he passed Murasamune" because nearly ALL of the reviewers have passed Murasamune. I just feel Psyker did the best overall job, sadly usually those who do great things leave quicker then those who don't =/. If Oasis had actually submitted to me, I would of put the players first. I have no necessities in a playerworld, other than it -has to- have quests if it's a quest server. Graphics was excluded because everybody has different tastes. I have no real opinion on Playerworlds and their needed content, I just review it with the given things. (check my latest review. renegade, I believe it was.

Aknts
07-22-2002, 07:30 AM
I specifically went around the reviews for several reasons. For one, there would not have been enough content to pass in the first place. I wanted the private server to test anything I made and make sure it works online. Every level needed the npc server, since things like doors and trees are in classes. Oasis would be awful offline, I will put it that way.

Not to mention the BS involved in getting it passed in the first place. PW reviewing in it's current state bites big wind. All the pw reviewers need to set some standard rules for the whole team to follow, and post them on the pw forums as a sticky for everyone to read. Most pw reviews are biased from the start, and most reviewers judge things on their personal opinions about stuff.

Like you can't judge levels at all unless the levels are so bad that you tiles are put together in a way that doesn't make sense at all, or where tiling was bad and the player can't even walk through the level properly. Saying "well the tiling is plain" or "the tiling is too cluttered" is just opinion and shouldn't even be mentioned in the reviews.

Also things like the graphics rating. I have seen reviews where the reviewer stated the graphics were normal Graal graphics so they didn't get a good graphics score. Is it now necassary to have custom graphics, or what?

The main things that I think should be looked for in a review are:

Is there things for players to do?
Is there anything new and innovative that hasn't been on Graal before?

I'm tired of pw's that are the same old crap with some crap jobs, and some crap quests. Just because the leveling is decent, and they have content, doesn't mean it deserves to be online. Aren't you guys supposed to inspect online pw's also? I see a lot of pw's with absolutely nothing to do. Why are these still online?

thrashsoul
07-22-2002, 07:45 AM
I agree with konidias totally!

AlexH
07-22-2002, 07:50 AM
All a server should be able to do to get online is keep the player entertained.
But obviously they need to keep a reasonable standard of leveling etc.
But to be honest I'd rather have something to do rather than be in the best levels ever.

Max-imus
07-22-2002, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by AlexH
All a server should be able to do to get online is keep the player entertained.
But obviously they need to keep a reasonable standard of leveling etc.
But to be honest I'd rather have something to do rather than be in the best levels ever.

Very true.

Neglegence2002
07-22-2002, 08:29 AM

Let me ask you something...what makes a PW popular? Ah...I see...PWs which have quality stuff usually attracts attention, making them popular.
No, acully you are wrong there sir, gettin players attention, is where the person feels like he/she can make friends the most, or a server that have lots of decent quests, look at UN, they have alot of quests, and which takes a while to get.

Just because you own your server that has all the new flashy stuff in it, dont mean jack ****. Yes your server might be very good, but all the "new and improved" stuff dont make a server good at all.

Frolic_RC2
07-22-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Neglegence2002

No, acully you are wrong there sir, gettin players attention, is where the person feels like he/she can make friends the most, or a server that have lots of decent quests, look at UN, they have alot of quests, and which takes a while to get.

Just because you own your server that has all the new flashy stuff in it, dont mean jack ****. Yes your server might be very good, but all the "new and improved" stuff dont make a server good at all.
What does my server have to do with this?

Toran was talking about how popular servers are looked forward to more or something, and was complaining about them, well guess what...

"New Flashy Stuff"

WHAT THE HELL ELSE WOULD A SCREENSHOT SHOW?

I mean come on, use some common sense here! I am not about to release my whole server offline! Murasamune became popular because of the "flashy stuff" shown in screenshots, thats all a freakin screenshot can show! Now someone tell me if I am seeing this the wrong way, is there ANY other way to show content other then picture and text? Really now, if anyone wants to tell me go right ahead.

Falcor
07-22-2002, 09:16 AM
I have no problem with people makeing playerworlds, I just think they should acually play the game for a while. not get an account then immediatly make a pw.

Their are a lot of servers online that people don't like. Mostly becasue what they put online is totally different from what stefan or the reviewers saw, becasue they wanna make it "cooler". as a result, it has a Menu and nothing else becasue they are working on it. I admit, Faheria is unplayable now, it will be way different when its done. It has nothing to do, but does that mean you will take it offline? We have some promossing thing to show the players, maybe the other playerworlds have aswell. Give them a chance.

Torankusu
07-22-2002, 09:24 AM
go argue in mmmkay's thread.