PDA

View Full Version : chat bubbles

BombermanExtreme
07-21-2002, 01:11 PM
You know how you type and text appears above
your head? well if it is possible, could you make it so a bubble
appears above your head showing the text? like in comic scripts?
and could you make some weapons like hang glider(similar to
zepplin air) and bicycle for easy transportation? :)

Kaimetsu
07-21-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by BombermanExtreme
You know how you type and text appears above
your head? well if it is possible, could you make it so a bubble
appears above your head showing the text? like in comic scripts?
and could you make some weapons like hang glider(similar to
zepplin air) and bicycle for easy transportation? :)

Currently it wouldn't be simple to make. The largest problem is that, to my knowledge, default text can't be turned off. What I'd like is two commands:

disablechatdrawing; //stops Graal from drawing #c over players' heads and leaves it open for a gani script to do so instead

disablechatbox; //stops Graal from automatically sending the contents of the chat bar to the server, instead triggering the player with the text as a param, so it could be interpreted like this:

if(actionplayerchats){
if(strequals(#p(0),/sit)){
//do sitting stuff
}
//check other commands
else{
setplayerprop #c,#p(0);
}
}

Aknts
07-22-2002, 12:32 AM
I've already wanted to do this for Oasis chatting. I made the chat system for it, and now Stefan just needs to make the disable default chatting. :)

Frolic_RC2
07-22-2002, 01:31 AM
Well, couldn't you just make a script to detect whenever there is text above the head, and tell it to display blank text above the head instead? Then save the original text in a string for display using your alternate way.

Tyhm
07-22-2002, 02:46 AM
Yeah, that'd be fairly trivial. Only downside is chat-triggered stuff would have to detect the string instead of #c

Frolic_RC2
07-22-2002, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Tyhm
Yeah, that'd be fairly trivial. Only downside is chat-triggered stuff would have to detect the string instead of #c

Thats not entirely true..though to us it may seem like an instant, if will not with the NPCs. You could make a system like that and STILL allow the NPCs to react to #c...I've had a problem with that in some movie systems I made...

Falcor
07-22-2002, 03:13 AM
you forget the handy dandy callnpc index,flag; ?

Aknts
07-22-2002, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Frolic_RC2
Well, couldn't you just make a script to detect whenever there is text above the head, and tell it to display blank text above the head instead? Then save the original text in a string for display using your alternate way.

You can't make a players chat text disappear. Playerprop only sets the chat invisible clientside. So if that was done, you would have a player say something like "Hello!", and to the player it would display properly, but to everyone else, they would see the speech bubble, and also the chat text "Hello!". It doesn't set "" as chat serverside.

Falcor
07-22-2002, 04:48 AM
Well then, stefan will have to add another serveroptions wont he...

Tyhm
07-22-2002, 04:58 AM
Really? It always worked globally for me...

Frolic_RC2
07-22-2002, 07:09 AM
Konidias, that wouldn't make much sense at all if you think about it.

The text display is client side input...if you think about it, shouldn't the script be emulating that client side input? Hitting tab, then typing in "Hello" and pressing enter would be the same thing as a script running setplayerprop #c, Hello. Its all clientside input, it would make no sense at all if Stefan made setplayerprop sent only to the client, and not to the server like typing in text manually does.

Just my thought, it seems pretty logical to me...

Aknts
07-22-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Frolic_RC2
Konidias, that wouldn't make much sense at all if you think about it.

The text display is client side input...if you think about it, shouldn't the script be emulating that client side input? Hitting tab, then typing in "Hello" and pressing enter would be the same thing as a script running setplayerprop #c, Hello. Its all clientside input, it would make no sense at all if Stefan made setplayerprop sent only to the client, and not to the server like typing in text manually does.

Just my thought, it seems pretty logical to me...

Trust me, I've tried this already. Yes set playerprop TEXT shows up for all players, but putting:

setplayerprop #c,;

Only works for the player. Do not ask me why because I don't know. I just know that it only works for the player.

Frolic_RC2
07-22-2002, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Aknts

Trust me, I've tried this already. Yes set playerprop TEXT shows up for all players, but putting:

setplayerprop #c,;

Only works for the player. Do not ask me why because I don't know. I just know that it only works for the player.

Well...thats kinda weird. Maybe have it in a NPCW, out of the //#CLIENTSIDE area? It is just...very weird. I'll take your word for it though, I haven't tested this out myself considering I don't have a server.

Tyhm
07-22-2002, 10:28 AM
Kooky. Try it with a space then. setplayerprop #c, ;

JAceves
07-22-2002, 10:25 PM
doesnt setstring whatever, #c; setplayerprop #c,;
get rid of the text and allow the scripter to still manipulate the chat?
I dont recall that working for the player only, when i used it, no one saw the chat.

Kaimetsu
07-22-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by JAceves
doesnt setstring whatever, #c; setplayerprop #c,;
get rid of the text and allow the scripter to still manipulate the chat?
I dont recall that working for the player only, when i used it, no one saw the chat.

Setting #c to null removes the text (though not immediately - there's an ugly little pause before it's wiped), but then what? You've just deleted #c so you don't have chat text anymore. Put it in a string? Then how would you deliver the contents of that string to the other players? Problems.

Tyhm
07-22-2002, 11:27 PM
That's why the chat bubbles, goober. You'd have to ganiscript it in to keep it from bouncing all over...

Falcor
07-22-2002, 11:29 PM
you could also try a null or space character like..

setplayerprop #c,#K(0); or setplayerprop #c,#K(32);

Kaimetsu
07-23-2002, 09:07 PM
That's why the chat bubbles, goober. You'd have to ganiscript it in to keep it from bouncing all over...

Wait. Stop. What are you talking about?

Tyhm
07-23-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Kaimetsu
Put it in a string? Then how would you deliver the contents of that string to the other players? Problems.

See also: The thread title. It would be delivered in the form of chat bubbles, probably via ganiscript displaying #s(P8) or something

Kaimetsu
07-24-2002, 12:08 AM

See also: The thread title. It would be delivered in the form of chat bubbles, probably via ganiscript displaying #s(P8) or something

Yeah, I know about the chat bubbles. But the problem is getting the chat text to the other players. Putting it into an arbitrary string doesn't work. The #Px stuff is okay, but those are limited in number. And can gani scripts even access them?