PDA

View Full Version : The supposed-truth on Personal Servers

Brad
07-13-2002, 11:04 PM
I spoke to Nemesis today. Heres the deal:

Personal servers will be done on an already existing server. You will get permission from the owner to get a personal server on it. You will become a "sub-manager" and get to manage your personal server etc etc. From what I imagine, you can eventually get passed by PWA and become a real server.

Torankusu
07-14-2002, 12:47 AM
That idea, I think, is bullshit.

You get no privacy if you want to work on things, and the server owner would probably steal your stuff.

Warcaptain
07-14-2002, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Torankusu
That idea, I think, is bullshit.

You get no privacy if you want to work on things, and the server owner would probably steal your stuff.

thats why you get someone you trust to host you....

man this is gonna be hell on pw managers :(

now were gonna get
"cani be rc"
"can i be faq"
"can i host a server"

Brad
07-14-2002, 02:40 AM
Seems pretty dumb. I'm not even gonna bother trying to do that, I'd much rather just pass normally.

Max-imus
07-14-2002, 03:00 AM
If these servers can not get up by themselves, why should anyone agree to make them "Sub-Manager" and let them work on their playerworld? I think this is a horrible idea and I don't think any Managers would agree to letting a personal playerworld on their playerworld...

MrGannondorf
07-14-2002, 03:04 AM
That sounds like bullshit. I think they should just bring back the g-server, or atleast make it so there is a 3rd menu in the server list were the pws are listed, and have a lil button there labled "add your site" and the server at that site will be acceable via the serverlist.

MrGannondorf
07-14-2002, 03:06 AM
Then on that site, there should be all the stuff you needed before with the g-server, and a textfile called "serverlist_data" wich contains the discription of the server, and the url to the server's web page.

Brad
07-14-2002, 03:14 AM
James: Gahaha, forget about me reupgrading. That has to be the lamest thing I've ever heard of. There should be a 3rd tab on the playerworld list for special type of playerworld starting.

warp2ukew
07-14-2002, 06:01 AM
lol

Torankusu
07-14-2002, 06:03 AM
yes, james, I agree.

I wouldn't trust nemesis on this, because it's just horrible.
Go straight to stefan. :(

warp2ukew
07-14-2002, 06:04 AM
i truly doubt what nem said is true. he just wants to act like he knows what hes talking about

Kuza
07-14-2002, 06:49 AM
Thumbs down. Wayyyyy down. This is not r0x0ring, not in the least bit. I'm so dissappointed right now. Stefan, how could you? There goes whatever speckle of hope I had in the exisiting fun factor of graal.

Cid_Night
07-14-2002, 06:57 AM
well...while i dont agree with some people here talking about how this is sucking the fun factor out of graal, i think its a dumb idea and will suck for the hosting server...basically its gonna add a shitton of lag to the server, not attract any players, and probably scare some away by the massive lag increase...although i guess it saves money somehow, it sure would be dumb...

Torankusu
07-14-2002, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Cid_Night
well...while i dont agree with some people here talking about how this is sucking the fun factor out of graal, i think its a dumb idea and will suck for the hosting server...basically its gonna add a shitton of lag to the server, not attract any players, and probably scare some away by the massive lag increase...although i guess it saves money somehow, it sure would be dumb... Releasing a secured G-*Server-like product loses money, how? In fact, people have said they'd upgrade if that was the case, and it costed money.

archaonTCN
07-14-2002, 07:05 AM
Heh, pretty stupid.

I was hoping for something good. :(

vovavziggy
07-14-2002, 07:18 AM
So basically, you would be in a way, merging with another PW, except no one knows it's there, and after it's complete the whole thing goes up normally?
Stupid.

Cid_Night
07-14-2002, 07:33 AM
Releasing a secured G-*Server-like product loses money, how? In fact, people have said they'd upgrade if that was the case, and it costed money.
i guess its more a wonderment as to why they would do this? i mean...i cant imagine how it would waste money, but that would certainly be a reason...eh i dunno, still sounds dumb

Torankusu
07-14-2002, 07:36 AM

i guess its more a wonderment as to why they would do this? i mean...i cant imagine how it would waste money, but that would certainly be a reason...eh i dunno, still sounds dumb ?!?!

Uh, You know what we're talking about, right? Allowing players to manage/create playerworlds (controlled) without having to be bothered to get them online?!

Cid_Night
07-14-2002, 07:40 AM
ya ya, i kno i kno...i was just tryin to think of reasons they would want to, i mean, whats the reason for not allowing personal servers in the old way, i mean, why not?

Torankusu
07-14-2002, 07:43 AM
ya ya, i kno i kno...i was just tryin to think of reasons they would want to, i mean, whats the reason for not allowing personal servers in the old way, i mean, why not? Old G--servers are old and lack the new script commands. It would be better if there was an up-to-date one.

warp2ukew
07-14-2002, 09:21 AM
Old G--servers are old and lack the new script commands. It would be better if there was an up-to-date one.

Admins
07-14-2002, 09:33 AM
Someone posted wrong informations.

Everyone will be able to upload levels to their personal server, all personal servers are hosted by one program (g-server), and have the same playerlist so you see people playing other personal servers. They will not be subservers of other servers, but since it works similar we will first try to enable subservers on existing servers for testing. It's a plan / idea, did not have a lot of time to work on it.

Python523
a new g-server would be good but it could cause graal to loose a lot of money, people would just host their own servers and not play here, if their are like playercount restrictions, someone will just find a way to crack through that

Brad
Nemesis said something completely opposite Stefan...

Cid_Night
07-14-2002, 09:52 AM
oh, so are we reviving g-servers or not? seems like we're goin in two different directions...

Brad
07-14-2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Stefan
Someone posted wrong informations.

Everyone will be able to upload levels to their personal server, all personal servers are hosted by one program (g-server), and have the same playerlist so you see people playing other personal servers. They will not be subservers of other servers, but since it works similar we will first try to enable subservers on existing servers for testing. It's a plan / idea, did not have a lot of time to work on it.

James: Please tell me that it will include an npc-server, and rights to make the playerworld private, and let only certain people access it.

Torankusu
07-14-2002, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Python523
a new g-server would be good but it could cause graal to loose a lot of money, people would just host their own servers and not play here, if their are like playercount restrictions, someone will just find a way to crack through that Oh, no.

Make it so you have to have an active P2P account to start the server. :P

And one to play, maybe...?