PDA

View Full Version : Personal Servers.

Masah
07-11-2002, 06:12 PM
Does anyone have any info on these 'personal servers', and no I'm not talking about 'Private Servers', Stefan PM'ed me back saying there will be no more Private servers going up, he said he is working on some kind of Personal Server Project, that act as, and I quote 'Sub Servers'...

-Brett

Andor_RC9
07-11-2002, 07:33 PM
I have absolutely no clue on what your talking about but it sounds something like on old graal where you changed the port and you would get a cool small server owned and put up by one person.. so it would be like you only get people you invite to come. Thats just my idea though..

Masah
07-11-2002, 07:36 PM
That's what he PMed me about, and now some guy says he spoke to Stefan on Atlantis, and that he was talking about Personal Servers aswell..and Brent, if you see this post, come on AIM please.

-Brett

Kaimetsu
07-11-2002, 07:37 PM
Grim Squeaker:

That was indeed specified in the Graal2002 thread Unixmad posted a few months ago.
Though I guess it's been cancelled due to the security issues involved with it.

Masah
07-11-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Kaimetsu
Grim Squeaker:

That was indeed specified in the Graal2002 thread Unixmad posted a few months ago.
Though I guess it's been cancelled due to the security issues involved with it.

I only received this PM within the last 24 hours.

-Brett

konidias
07-11-2002, 09:01 PM
A new exe should be out in a week or so.. Maybe it will be included. It's on the way eventually.

AlexH
07-11-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by konidias
A new exe should be out in a week or so.. Maybe it will be included. It's on the way eventually.

Ack.
Need to get my requests in soon then.

Sir_Gareth
07-11-2002, 09:38 PM
it will be like the GSserver for 1.23 im assuming but with alot more features and stuff.....but it will be more protected as in I think stefan is doing something to it so people cant just host their own servers for fun. You proobly have to get some sort of passowrd or something.

draygin
07-11-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Sir_Gareth
it will be like the GSserver for 1.23 im assuming but with alot more features and stuff.....but it will be more protected as in I think stefan is doing something to it so people cant just host their own servers for fun. You proobly have to get some sort of passowrd or something.

I think he's making it so any one can host there own server but there is limitations such as number of players number of levels etc.. Thats my guess at least. But its just pure speculation.

brock128
07-11-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by draygin

I think he's making it so any one can host there own server but there is limitations such as number of players number of levels etc.. Thats my guess at least. But its just pure speculation.
Maybe. And if it's good, you can get it reviewed to be a real server n stuff.

Brad
07-11-2002, 11:37 PM
James: I hope it will be more like a private server, but you can enable the public to see it, or specify specific peoples to be able to connect. It would be really nice if you could get a thing to start an npc server as well.

Faheria_GP4
07-12-2002, 01:37 AM
I talked to him on Tritan about it. What he told me sounds like the player's will be able to host their own worlds. The worlds will not get a npc server. If the playerworld continues to be popular and gets a lot of players then it will go up as a regular playerworld.

archaonTCN
07-12-2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Brad
James: I hope it will be more like a private server, but you can enable the public to see it, or specify specific peoples to be able to connect. It would be really nice if you could get a thing to start an npc server as well.
I have been told there will be no NPC-server, which sucks quite a lot. :(

Brad
07-12-2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by archaonTCN

I have been told there will be no NPC-server, wich sucks quite a lot. :(

James: Yeah, that sucks. I don't understand why he couldn't release the NPC-Server starter (modified of course?).

draygin
07-12-2002, 02:09 AM

James: Yeah, that sucks. I don't understand why he couldn't release the NPC-Server starter (modified of course?).

I could see why he wouldnt want to. But maybe if they start getting a certain number of players and have good scripters they can get a special npc server.

Deek2
07-12-2002, 02:10 AM
yea like it can only allow a certain amount of npcs or something

draygin
07-12-2002, 02:11 AM
Also I was thinking he could make it so you had to have p2p to have your own private server. I think it would help encourage people to upgrade. I know I would for that. :)

Brad
07-12-2002, 02:13 AM
Also I was thinking he could make it so you had to have p2p to have your own private server. I think it would help encourage people to upgrade. I know I would for that. :)

James: I'd certainly upgrade to be able to host my own private/personal server, only if it came with an npc-server though.

draygin
07-12-2002, 02:23 AM

James: I'd certainly upgrade to be able to host my own private/personal server, only if it came with an npc-server though.

Heck I'd upgrade even if there wasnt an npc server for that. With alot of the restrictions gone now with lights and stuff its not to shabby. :) But an NPCServer would be nice I still think if he did that he should only give it to a personal server after they've shown they deserve it.

Python523
07-12-2002, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Masah
Does anyone have any info on these 'personal servers', and no I'm not talking about 'Private Servers', Stefan PM'ed me back saying there will be no more Private servers going up, he said he is working on some kind of Personal Server Project, that act as, and I quote 'Sub Servers'...

-Brett
stefan said no more private servers going up before tritan and gaia were up as well

draygin
07-12-2002, 02:30 AM
Also rather than having like ips you connect to. There could be like a list or something you add accounts to. So they could see it on a third tab perhaps

such as

if the accounts

Draygin
Python523
Stefan
Soto
Darkwind177
etc..

where on the list
then they could see the server in the third tab.

nyghtGT
07-12-2002, 04:25 AM
Scotty: GRRRRRREEEAATTT *thumbs up like toney the tiger*
this is awesome, but he should make it so if we have our own server we cant host an NC server

zrpgp2p
07-12-2002, 04:32 AM
I've heard some rumors about a new tab that is going to be added to graal, and every server will get accepted, and if it is good enough it will go in the normal tab.

archaonTCN
07-12-2002, 04:32 AM
Yeah, there are two things that could make me upgrade again, first it's the personal server, second is the old bodies and hp-system coming back to Graal2001.

ottoxero
07-12-2002, 08:09 PM
I must say that the only reason to NEED to host a personal server would be to test and debugg with a NPCServer. in my opinion, anything else canbe done offline (mostly, there are always gonna be bugs when going from offlien to online) but i believe there could be some KILLER servers made as personal servers if the NPCServer was givin, even on like a limited basis (like maybe only so many hours a week????) i really dotn knwo but this idea has been talked about since Registrtion began and i think it could be great. but i dunno anything.

Masah
07-13-2002, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the info guys, but has anyone heard of a release date, or any other information?

-Brett

AlexH
07-13-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by zrpgp2p
I've heard some rumors about a new tab that is going to be added to graal, and every server will get accepted, and if it is good enough it will go in the normal tab.

I really hope not.
If playerworlds don't pass inspection it means they arn't good enough.
We want to raise the standard of playerworlds on graal not lower it.

fugitive316
07-13-2002, 10:35 PM

Yeah, there are two things that could make me upgrade again, first it's the personal server, second is the old bodies and hp-system coming back to Graal2001.

Word.

G_yoshi
07-13-2002, 10:44 PM
Its possible that an NPC server requires a lot of resources which most users probably do not have nor could maintain...that is just my idea. Plus probably preventing the use of NPC Servers on these public servers in effect cripples them to only using clientside stuff.

Warcaptain
07-14-2002, 12:17 AM
alot of pw's could use sub-servers to do mini-worlds, such as kharlia was on classic so long ago

Torankusu
07-14-2002, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Warcaptain
alot of pw's could use sub-servers to do mini-worlds, such as kharlia was on classic so long ago Uhm, how many PWs are willing to do this, though?

Kuza
07-14-2002, 12:39 AM
I have a few questions of my own:

Who will be the review or server inspector? The PWA and his team?
Will there be a new section of GraalOnline reviewing staff made for these type of servers?
Does it cost anything to host the server or have other people play it?
How do you submit the server?
Are there any limitations or restrictions to a personal server?

Mista_Micro
07-14-2002, 07:51 PM
Man, back in 1.27 it was greate because alot of people started there own server and host it themselves. I am thinking that it could be another tab on the top thing and it displays PW that are currently being hosted by us, the players

Masah
07-14-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Mista_Micro
Man, back in 1.27 it was greate because alot of people started there own server and host it themselves. I am thinking that it could be another tab on the top thing and it displays PW that are currently being hosted by us, the players

The idea of the third tab is good, up until where you put 'players hosting it blah blah', do you mean from their own comps? cos that would suck ass, and lag like hell...

-Brett

Spark910
07-14-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Mista_Micro

Also people could/would abuse it by using copyrighted stuff, and break normal PW Rules....

warp2ukew
07-14-2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Masah

The idea of the third tab is good, up until where you put 'players hosting it blah blah', do you mean from their own comps? cos that would suck ass, and lag like hell...

-Brett

Masah
07-14-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Spark910

Also people could/would abuse it by using copyrighted stuff, and break normal PW Rules....

Er, that's already happening.

-Brett

warp2ukew
07-14-2002, 08:31 PM
heh

archaonTCN
07-14-2002, 08:34 PM
When you start the server, you log in using your P2P account and password, if it's wrong you can't start the server. If you put copyrighted stuff on your server your access gets taken away. Simple.

Masah
07-14-2002, 08:38 PM
When you start the server, you log in using your P2P account and password, if it's wrong you can't start the server. If you put copyrighted stuff on your server your access gets taken away. Simple.

And you heard this where?

-Brett