PDA

View Full Version : Graal Rotator

Mista_Micro
07-06-2002, 10:56 PM
Well i think as a add in for the level editor i think there should be a rotator that can rotate tiles, and imported graphics, i know it would save alot of people time with making graphics in paint or what ever they use. This would mean that graphics designers would only have to make 1 way graphics.. Here is my picture of what i think it should be like

Falcor
07-07-2002, 01:28 AM
That probably would make levels really big =\

Mista_Micro
07-07-2002, 08:07 PM
I think it would be useful

konidias
07-07-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Falcor
That probably would make levels really big =\

I agree, it would make levels a lot larger because they would have to store values for every tile as to which way they are facing. That's like 4 times the information.

Plus the idea is only good for a few images.. I mean you can't turn houses sideways by rotating them, that's retarded.. the same with bushes and just about everything else. They wouldn't be at the right perspective. (since Graal is not at a topdown view)

The only thing it would be useful for is perhaps fences, some plants and stuff.. just to flip them horizontally so you could have variation or whatever. But I don't think it's worth the trouble.

Now LAYERING. That would be worth the trouble. ;)

Falcor
07-08-2002, 01:09 AM
for tile a nice tile layering example, please download RM 2000 (http://rm2k.phantomrpg.com/) :)

Minoc
07-08-2002, 03:19 PM
agreed :cool:

Poogle
07-08-2002, 09:13 PM
We would have to delete some tiles.

Tyhm
07-08-2002, 10:40 PM
Wholly doable, given a converter.

If we had a program that converts .graal and .nw files to .nw2 files (and changes all the appropriate links and setlevels'), that converts like
AA AA
AA AA(pretend that's the code for a bush)
to
BKG:
A A
A A
Main:
AA AA
AA AA
(pretend that's hypothetical nw2 code for grass, and bush on top of it)...the tiling grows slightly, unless we cut out so many tiles that it can all be expressed as a single character which is a bit unlikely...but the tiles available grows exponentially, you can have water house, snow rock, lava bush, dirt statue...without adding a single graphic to the system. That'd be cool.

bigkow44
07-11-2002, 11:23 AM
well levels are small anyways but i think it should atleast apply to images like PNGs. and a script command like setimgdir dir; and setimgdir2 index,dir; for showimg's.

G_yoshi
07-11-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by bigkow44
well levels are small anyways but i think it should atleast apply to images like PNGs. and a script command like setimgdir dir; and setimgdir2 index,dir; for showimg's.

Scripts stored on levels make them bigger...especially large scripts :(

Tile Layering is a must but Stefan seems to be overlooking it for some strange reason...I think it would be possibly useful for 3D terrain...bottom layer is terrain, the next layer is "flat" so to speak so that you could lay tiles on it for houses and such...would make it so much easier than having to use images and NPCs :(

Falcor
07-11-2002, 12:51 PM
yes, and the ability to define a tileset's tiletypes would be good.

G_yoshi
07-12-2002, 06:13 AM

Double for that :D

I believe arrays.dat is what controls the current tileset definition.

adam
07-12-2002, 09:38 AM

i've always liked that idea.

Warcaptain
07-22-2002, 04:58 AM
i think it would be alot nicer to just have some type of command

where you could zoom in\out of levels and rotate them

so you could do flying affects like in the old classic rpgs such as FF2 and SOM3

:) but thats just me

every great RPG had a flying system, and it implimenting flying into graal now would.... suck

Warcaptain
07-22-2002, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by G_yoshi

Tile Layering is a must but Stefan seems to be overlooking it for some strange reason...I think it would be possibly useful for 3D terrain...bottom layer is terrain, the next layer is "flat" so to speak so that you could lay tiles on it for houses and such...would make it so much easier than having to use images and NPCs :(

he isnt overlooking

its a future project

Graal New World uses tile layering.

Of course the laying on it is the worst ive seen in any game, its an improvement for graal :)
Uses baisicly drawoverplayer and drawunderplayer layers for tiles (0,2 img layer) for tiles.

I am sure everyones gonna enjoy the large changes in NW

screen_name
07-22-2002, 04:35 PM

o man, i would love that :)

rotator dont think will ever be added, its not that much trouble to make them in paint :)

Falcor
07-22-2002, 05:36 PM
Prehaps a tilestype option could be implemented on a Per-Level basis. You would have to load a tilestype for the level you are on. It is saved inside the .nw levels or graal levels (If you do change it) You could make predefined tilestypes to load for your level and stuff. I think it would be worth it overall, and make it better to organize new tilesets.

Saving it inside the level itself would be benificial becuase you'd have to change the level to hack the tilestype :) Rather than makeing some script command similar to addtiledef. It will make it a little harder to implement a new tilestype serverwide, but it will prevent hacking, which is good.

AlexH
07-22-2002, 07:24 PM
Most Graal tiles look terrible rotated, there are a few that look okay but most don't.
Someone posted a pic with the tiles rotated, can't remember where it is though. :(

Layering for level editor would be great, hopefully Stefan adds it soon.

Also the background thing would be good.
Bird made a thread a while back about it.
Backtile I think it was called where if the tile had a certain color round it you would set it like backtile=blah then that colour would be like the grass or the snow tile etc.
So with that we wouldn't need as many tiles. :)

Poogle
07-27-2002, 07:02 PM
heres a better version though i forgot to add Above and Below

Poogle
07-27-2002, 07:03 PM
woops

mikepg
08-04-2002, 05:44 AM
this has been posted about 50 billion times, but...
it wouldn't necessarily make level files 4 times the size.

if you wrote out all the tiles in code, just like normal .graal files are, and then used arrays at the end of the code, that would represent coordinates...like this:

tilesup = {(0,0),(2,12),(3,4),...,(n,n)}
tielsdown = {(0,1),...,(n,n)}

and you get the idea.
that would only be about...5500 more bytes (5.5kb).

ghostsamurai
08-05-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Mista_Micro
Well i think as a add in for the level editor i think there should be a rotator that can rotate tiles, and imported graphics, i know it would save alot of people time with making graphics in paint or what ever they use. This would mean that graphics designers would only have to make 1 way graphics.. Here is my picture of what i think it should be like
Neonight:

Too bad this idea is over a year old. :( I posted something about it about a year ago, and I'm sure I'm not the first to want it. ;x

Tyhm
08-06-2002, 10:25 PM
Because it's not, in fact, a good idea.

zorakid2001
08-07-2002, 01:43 AM
OMG can you imagine the power of tile layering ohhhhh man it makes me all tingly inside jusht thinking about itz Thats a hella a idea no matter how old it is!

the flying idea is *** and so is the rotating tiles idea. Thats just pointless! What would you rotate??