PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of trojans or listening for them?


Komieko
05-18-2001, 06:58 AM
I'd like to know how to find out if I have a trojan planted on me..How would I go about doing this?I didn't download that Gclient2001 but I wanna make sure I'm safe either way

05-18-2001, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Komieko
I'd like to know how to find out if I have a trojan planted on me..How would I go about doing this?I didn't download that Gclient2001 but I wanna make sure I'm safe either way

NROTON VISURCAN

Pago
05-18-2001, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by TrueHeaT


NROTON VISURCAN Hey, the guy's looking for help, so the least you can do is give it to him.

waar
05-18-2001, 07:22 AM
go to dos prompt and type in: netstat

if you notice any unusual connections, or any connections that look like they are from a home user, look into it. this could mean somebody is connected to you through a backdoor, commonly known as a "trojan". this is not a very effective way, so i would suggest trying a lot of different virus scanners. if you notice anything strange, such as your cd-rom opening and closing for no reason, restart your computer and when windows is loading, check the task manager (ctrl+alt+del). if anything unusual is there, end the task. this would disable the backdoor for your current session, only a temporary solution.

annr
05-18-2001, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Pago
Hey, the guy's looking for help, so the least you can do is give it to him.

or he could just ban him for being stupid.
i bet that is a good reason to ban now?

StoneColdRichie
05-18-2001, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by annr


or he could just ban him for being stupid.
i bet that is a good reason to ban now?



if stupidity was a reason for banning, you would have been banned a long time ago ;-)

05-18-2001, 07:33 AM
I don't know how to help him so I just said Norton. Only way I could think of.

Crono Illusion
05-18-2001, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by waar
go to dos prompt and type in: netstat

if you notice any unusual connections, or any connections that look like they are from a home user, look into it. this could mean somebody is connected to you through a backdoor, commonly known as a "trojan". this is not a very effective way, so i would suggest trying a lot of different virus scanners. if you notice anything strange, such as your cd-rom opening and closing for no reason, restart your computer and when windows is loading, check the task manager (ctrl+alt+del). if anything unusual is there, end the task. this would disable the backdoor for your current session, only a temporary solution.

If you see something suspicious in the task manager at bootup, after closing it, click on your Start button, click Run... and type in "msconfig". Somewhere in there there's a startup programs manager, and you can uncheck the suspicious app and stop it from loading when you boot your computer.

Psyker
05-18-2001, 07:37 AM
Try staying off the internet for a while to trick them to thinking you're idle or somefing.

IceHawk
05-18-2001, 07:40 AM
Ugh, I forget the URL for the free scanner.

waar
05-18-2001, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Crono Illusion


If you see something suspicious in the task manager at bootup, after closing it, click on your Start button, click Run... and type in "msconfig". Somewhere in there there's a startup programs manager, and you can uncheck the suspicious app and stop it from loading when you boot your computer.

thanks, i never knew about this.

annr
05-19-2001, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by StoneColdRichie

if stupidity was a reason for banning, you would have been banned a long time ago ;-)

i feel the need to take this back out by the willow tree at the playground.
winner gets lunch money and all pride.
lets go.

Hawk
05-19-2001, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Crono Illusion


If you see something suspicious in the task manager at bootup, after closing it, click on your Start button, click Run... and type in "msconfig". Somewhere in there there's a startup programs manager, and you can uncheck the suspicious app and stop it from loading when you boot your computer.

Hi!

thats a good way

Psyker
05-19-2001, 03:08 AM
Crono knows tons of things about computers. :)

sniperjoe10
05-19-2001, 03:26 AM
Most recent trojans hide themselves from the task manager...

Komieko
05-19-2001, 06:53 AM
What does Foreign Adress mean in netstat? (just wondering)

05-19-2001, 12:05 PM
It COULD mean that someone is accessing your computer.