PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about: Combat Styles.


freddyfox
05-31-2002, 11:00 PM
Combat Styles! Everyone loves combat styles. These are special moves you can perform during combat to give you the edge in battle.

Let's do a "For Example." For example, for an assassin:



<Dagger Style>: Tear {Medium Damage Bonus} [Rank 1]
<Dagger Style>: Exvoriate {Medium Damage Bonus Backstab} [Rank 2]
<Dagger Style>: Puncture Lung { High Damage Over Time} [Rank 3]


And so on and so forth.

My idea was that the player could have a "hotbar" of sorts. It would store up to 4-5 things, like combat styles and spells. It can be activated via the mouse. (If that's possible.)

Thoughts?

Metal-Slug
05-31-2002, 11:02 PM
uhm, is that really neccesary, because there is only so many keys we can press at once

freddyfox
05-31-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Metal-Slug
uhm, is that really neccesary, because there is only so many keys we can press at once

That's why I suggested the hotbar thing. If it isn't managable I can think up something else, then.

Metal-Slug
06-01-2002, 12:53 AM
well, it isnt that its impossible, its just hard, and people dnt have enough fingers :-)

freddyfox
06-01-2002, 01:03 AM
Hmmm, I see your point...

How about the style is activated the next time you use your sword? So I press the "Exvoriate" hotbutton and it prepares me for that, then I go up behind someone and press S, and hit them for a lot of damage.

Hilton
06-01-2002, 01:57 AM
If I had a tail I would no doubt be the Ultimate Champion

Valder
06-01-2002, 02:28 AM
They should try and make it turn-based because that would be very cool. It would also make the game more fun to play and fight. If stefan does do this, he can make random critical hits and as you gain a level, have random stats.

Tyhm
06-01-2002, 03:02 AM
Make them randomly occuring on hit, higher probability of a good one happening as your sword rank rises, and more likely on a backstab. Keep it one button that way.

Kaimetsu
06-01-2002, 08:12 AM
We have access to the full keyboard now, so I don't see any reason not to expand a little. I was amazed to see that 2K2 used neither keydown2 nor the mouse functions.

haunter
06-01-2002, 08:14 AM
I want an "Eye-gouge" attack for Karate... :(

Tyhm
06-01-2002, 10:14 AM
"TouchOfDeath! TouchOfDeath! TouchOfDeath! Yeah!" - Bart Simpson (before he took Karate and found out he doesn't get to bust out the nunchucks)

Whistle works pretty well on Classic, that uses keydown2...it'd probably be even more useful on G2K1

Birdpick
06-02-2002, 05:03 AM
hmmm combat stylez like jedi knight2 ?

hmmm nice idea

but i think you shouldn't change your style while fight with someone/something

Metal-Slug
06-02-2002, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by Kaimetsu
We have access to the full keyboard now, so I don't see any reason not to expand a little. I was amazed to see that 2K2 used neither keydown2 nor the mouse functions.

as of yet we havent, but just because you dont see it doesnt mean we havent got it *winks*

Valder
06-02-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Metal-Slug


as of yet we havent, but just because you dont see it doesnt mean we havent got it *winks*

One word: TURN-BASED!

*cough* wait, that's 2....

Juron Pilo
06-03-2002, 04:33 PM
combat style should be a selected thing...
diffent martial arts styles give you differnt extra moves as with swords... that way we can stick with fancy button combos

jyears
06-09-2002, 01:50 PM
honestly, i think graal needs to be changed all together. instead of doing the good ol sprites (not that i dont like them :) ) u should try working with polygons, even if it means he old bootleg virtua fighter look, u should try it! this way, graal could have more features. of course this pretty much eliminates user-made bodies, heads, etc. unless u had a 3d program and made skins kind of like in counter-strike. this may sound hard, but once the basics are done such as models and animation, everything is easy from there on out. wait... this doesn't have much to do with combat styles... uh... well, it would make the whole system more versatile! (if u want, which i'd expect, give me some dumb excuse like "omg, what a waste of time!" but it would still make graal much better)

haunter
06-10-2002, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by jyears
honestly, i think graal needs to be changed all together. instead of doing the good ol sprites (not that i dont like them :) ) u should try working with polygons, even if it means he old bootleg virtua fighter look, u should try it! this way, graal could have more features. of course this pretty much eliminates user-made bodies, heads, etc. unless u had a 3d program and made skins kind of like in counter-strike. this may sound hard, but once the basics are done such as models and animation, everything is easy from there on out. wait... this doesn't have much to do with combat styles... uh... well, it would make the whole system more versatile! (if u want, which i'd expect, give me some dumb excuse like "omg, what a waste of time!" but it would still make graal much better)

Um, graal3d? Graal (normal) wouldn't be graal if it used polygones.

Tyhm
06-10-2002, 01:40 AM
Yeah, I'd rather we be the best 2d Zeldaclone on the market than the lamest Polygon-laden impossible-to-edit Goldeneye-clone on the market.

adam
06-10-2002, 02:43 AM
I agree.

2d rox.

If people put thier best efforts into 2d these days they could do amazing things.

Tyhm
06-11-2002, 04:28 AM
I was at my girlfriend's house...her little brother had 2 games, Maximo for the PS2 and CastleVania: Symphony of the Night for the PS1. SotN owns.