PDA

View Full Version : Thieves

Minoc
05-21-2002, 09:40 PM
Almost all RPGs have thieves.
Don't make stupid rule like in G2K1, when people are sent to jail for a long time for stealing or scamming.
Maybe ya should make police that should chase and catch thieves, and the thieves will have a choice to pay a tax or stay in jail for a while (not too long).

BirdBirdP2P
05-21-2002, 10:14 PM
i agree i was saying yesterday to everybody stealing is rping
and its part of rp cuz thief is a occupation

Minoc
05-21-2002, 10:19 PM
When I stole some logs and boards yesterday the stupid people said that they reported me and I will be jailed :P

freddyfox
05-21-2002, 10:21 PM
Just for clarification: People who steal logs, rocks, monster loot, kill-steals monsters, or is just a plain ***** and covers it up with the guise of roleplaying a thief is NOT roleplaying, and will be beaten with large sticks.

Minoc
05-21-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by freddyfox
Just for clarification: People who steal logs, rocks, monster loot, kill-steals monsters, or is just a plain ***** and covers it up with the guise of roleplaying a thief is NOT roleplaying, and will be beaten with large sticks.
It's just fun.
That's why so many people in other RPGs choose to be a thief :)

Gambit2099
05-21-2002, 11:24 PM
It's not fun, it's downright annoying, and the things your stealing take no effort to get. So get your own items.

Minoc
05-22-2002, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Gambit2099
It's not fun, it's downright annoying, and the things your stealing take no effort to get. So get your own items.
That's fun for the thief. Many people like to play as thieves, look at other RPGs. If you can't choose to be good or evil it will really suck. And you are able to protect your items.

freddyfox
05-22-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Minoc
Many people like to play as thieves, look at other RPGs.

Only because it gives them a valid excuse to steal other things and kill players under the guise that they're roleplaying.

Redflair
05-22-2002, 12:25 AM
thieves ruin the game for other, they must die. the end.

Legondary_MyTH
05-22-2002, 12:35 AM
When i had my old account and played it wasnt illegal to scam and such, i thought it should be like that because if your that stupid to get scammed then you deserver it:rolleyes:

Redflair
05-22-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Legondary_MyTH
When i had my old account and played it wasnt illegal to scam and such, i thought it should be like that because if your that stupid to get scammed then you deserver it:rolleyes:

it ruins the game for people new to the game that have no clue how much something is worth

Minoc
05-22-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by freddyfox

Only because it gives them a valid excuse to steal other things and kill players under the guise that they're roleplaying.
Why can't people roleplay as Thieves?
And there are people who call themselves "OMG MINOC STOLE MY STUFF HE IS A LAME THIEF PLEASE BAN HIM", ya call people with that nick people who roleplay?
And adding police just lowers the roleplaying :P

Redflair
05-22-2002, 12:42 AM

Why can't people roleplay as Thieves?
And there are people who call themselves "OMG MINOC STOLE MY STUFF HE IS A LAME THIEF PLEASE BAN HIM", ya call people with that nick people who roleplay?
And adding police just lowers the roleplaying :P

Originally posted by Redflair
thieves ruin the game for other, they must die. the end.

Minoc
05-22-2002, 01:11 AM
You can prevent thieves from stealing.
You can say that PKers ruin the game for others, you can say that people who win events ruin the game for loosers :P

Dilandou
05-22-2002, 01:45 AM
Put npc guards around hot areas, limiting thief activity. So they can only steal from people that wonder too far out of a town/busy area, like in UO.

Minoc
05-22-2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Dilandou
Put npc guards around hot areas, limiting thief activity. So they can only steal from people that wonder too far out of a town/busy area, like in UO.
Yeah :P
Just not everywhere.

Tyhm
05-22-2002, 02:43 AM
Better idea.

Once the axe does damage, just make thieves drop whatever they stole when they die. You can still pick up a board that doesn't have your name on it, the only downside is that the owner will hunt you down like a dog, kill you, and take it back.
No need to involve the antihacker police, they got better things to do. It's a lawless sort of time, players should be expected (and allowed) to take the law into their own hands. ^_^

Metal-Slug
05-22-2002, 04:54 AM
Almost all RPGs have thieves.
Don't make stupid rule like in G2K1, when people are sent to jail for a long time for stealing or scamming.
Maybe ya should make police that should chase and catch thieves, and the thieves will have a choice to pay a tax or stay in jail for a while (not too long).

i dont think we will have police, and maybe.........maybe we will have a job/class thingy

_0AfTeRsHoCk0_
05-22-2002, 06:14 AM
Of course we need theives! It's a key compenent of role-playing But what people like Brad did yesterday was wrong. I don't think Alpha testing is the time to have theives, and plus it will be harder to steal things in the future because the weight system will come into play.

konidias
05-22-2002, 07:12 AM
You want roleplaying as thieves? How about this then suckas:

If you are a thief, and get caught stealing, you won't be sent to jail, you will have one of your hands cut off. How does that sound? =P

Let's see how much you can steal when you have stubs for hands. :p

I think that would kind of make you think twice before you decide to steal anything. ;)

Aknts
05-22-2002, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by konidias
You want roleplaying as thieves? How about this then suckas:

If you are a thief, and get caught stealing, you won't be sent to jail, you will have one of your hands cut off. How does that sound? =P

Let's see how much you can steal when you have stubs for hands. :p

I think that would kind of make you think twice before you decide to steal anything. ;)

Bhaha lol

Judge_Spunky
05-22-2002, 09:19 AM
I personally hate the thieves on Graal2002, because you can't do anything about them!
You can't hurt them yet, so you can only say things like "GO AWAY" and such.

I just had 5 rocks stolen, in a row.
It may be so damn fun for thieves, but people generally roleplay to get what they work for, not to have it stolen by some idiotic loser that can't bother waiting for his own.

thomasward
05-22-2002, 06:40 PM
Yes, the most annoying thing about thieves at the moment is that you can't do anything about them, they just steal all your hard-earned items and run away with you having no chance whatsoever of getting them back.

adam
05-23-2002, 12:42 PM
Perhaps. Theiving would be part of the alignment system.

The more you steel the lower your alignment. And it is harder and harder for you to do legal business. And pretty soon the only way you can get anything is by stealing it.

And you have to work hard to redeem yourself to become a legal citizen again!.

GryffonDurime
05-23-2002, 12:57 PM
Oi...my problem is, both in character and OOC, I am hopeless with a sword....hopefully soon there will be a magic system...in which I will become a powerful mage priest, exuding a very aura OF HOLY GOODNESS AND MIGHT, RAINING DOWN HOLY WRATH FILLED JUDGEMENT FROM THE SKIES ONTO THE DOOMED HEADS OF THOSE FOOLISH ENOUGH TO......Sometimes I go on tangets like that.....I'm really quite power hungry, in a good way. Oh, theives, back to the subject-I like theives like the Karakaze, when its done in RP fashion. Some of the best RP events I was ever in involved the Karakaze, they have several magnificent RPers, but like all other RP Kingdoms, they have a few peices of coal amidst the diamonds who people see outshining to good RPers, giving each a bad reputation. Oh, and Sisok, I haven't forgotten the time I was kidnapped by you and you suggested looking for the Airship plans up my rectum, and I will RAIN DOWN THE FIREY HOLY DOOM UPON YOU......oh, sorry, tanget again.

Minoc
05-23-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by adam
Perhaps. Theiving would be part of the alignment system.

The more you steel the lower your alignment. And it is harder and harder for you to do legal business. And pretty soon the only way you can get anything is by stealing it.

And you have to work hard to redeem yourself to become a legal citizen again!.
Yea, like that no one will complain :P

Tyhm
05-24-2002, 05:08 AM
1) An Item Trading system.
2) Since it's 1.0 iron and 1.0 gold anyway, you get the percentage of the work you did. If you hit the rock first and got kicked away, there will be a 0.1 coal waiting for you. If you did all the work and got mugged, there will be a 0.9 coal. The rubble remains locked until everyone's got their share, then it destroys, or after 30 seconds it becomes public rubble.

screen_name
05-24-2002, 08:46 AM
thieving is just plain ***

you take so much fun out of the game

you say it plays a good role for RPG's but it just pisses people off so bad and then they get out of character, if they were in character to begin with

adam
05-24-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by screen_name
thieving is just plain ***

you take so much fun out of the game

you say it plays a good role for RPG's but it just pisses people off so bad and then they get out of character, if they were in character to begin with

Hmm... I think it has its place. It is just very hard to do it right.

Most of the theives aren't roleplaying though. So yeah u right.

Tyhm
05-24-2002, 01:37 PM
If you steal (detected as hitting a rock that you did not start, taking bread that was not yours, taking a plank or an iron that was not yours, even if it became open as long as the original owner is still in the room/mines) you lose indoors invulnerability, and if you die or log off in the next 15 minutes you drop what you stole.

Aliendude
05-26-2002, 12:02 PM
I am a theif on G2k2, but I'm as fair as I can be about it. After I steal I stay around and fight to the death with whoever I stole from (even if they have four other people farming with them o.O). If they get me to a low amount of health I surrender and offer to give back whatever I stole (sometimes more then I stole). If they still insist on fighting and win (this hasn't happened yet :p) I try to find them and give the items back.

If I kill them or they surrender I keep the items and leave.

Tyhm
05-26-2002, 12:31 PM
Bull. I saw you, you ran. No bread for joo!

Aliendude
05-26-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Tyhm
Bull. I saw you, you ran. No bread for joo!

I fought you a minute later after I stole your corn (remember, that fight that lasted about ten minutes x.x) And I didn't leave during that fight, did I? I even waited around for awhile after you left to see if you were coming back ^^

TheFrozenFiend
05-26-2002, 07:26 PM
Thieves should be allowed and they shouldnt be jailable in the 'staff member says you go to jail. See you in 3 months' type.

However....

Players should be able to report thieves. An NPC detects when a thief steals something. The player reports the person 'report [accountname]'. If the report is true (NPC server checks) a string in the thiefs account rises.

The higher the string the more wanted the thief. A place in the police station (not police with rc and special healing powers (2001), police who roleplay) shows the top 10 thiefs.
If a player kills a thief on the top 10 list they get a reward (depending on the number in the list and the crime rating for that person) and the thiefs crime rating goes down.

This means thiefs can have their fun stealing but then they will have to pay the consequences by being careful who they are around.

Also NPCs as cops and undercover cops will sometimes attack the thiefs on the top 10 list. If the cop can daze the player (4-5 hits) they can use a net. The thief has a 50-50 net escape chance. If they are caught they are put in jail for one hour - one day (graal real time) depending on the crime rating. The crime rating then lowers by 20% and they are released. They may however be fined for items.

This makes a fair system.
Thiefs can steal from players but not without consequences.

Poogle
05-26-2002, 08:40 PM
Thiefing is okay for those that dont like are becuse there to f*cking religious or dont know how to steal cuse they are to big of a noob!

Tyhm
05-27-2002, 06:53 AM
1) No, you said "Come on, we have another target" and went off to rob the guy on the north shore. Not that 2 against 1 are fair odds in the first place, particularly when you two have swords and I have a scythe and watering can out.
2) Oh, I fully support theiving, I just think there needs to be a counter to it. We shouldn't have to rely on people like AlienDude to surrender and give back the stolen property, because people like Ezra would much rather laugh about the fools who work honestly in his presence than play fair. Which is WHY I think it should either be impossible, or you drop what you steal.

kevy
05-28-2002, 08:13 AM
theives suck. end of story

adam
05-31-2002, 12:51 PM
Here's a way to prevent thieving in mines that doesnt' seem to work anymore. they made this not be such a great block anymore I guess.......

the idea being only let honest people into the mine. at least one of the mines. har har.