PDA

View Full Version : who thinks Graal should go back to the way it used to be?

Vyse_the_Blue_Rogue
01-20-2002, 10:26 PM
Note: I wasn't around then, but from what I've heard of it, it sounds fun.
I'm talking about when hats were free, but you could only have 1, and you could put the hat on other peoples heads. And bomys were free/cheap..and the people who had the most fun weren't the richest people...
If I got something wrong about the way it used to be, or missed something, post what I missed/got wrong

Sir_Gareth
01-20-2002, 10:28 PM
Graal could NEVER go back to what it was used to be.

Griffyn
01-20-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Vyse_the_Blue_Rogue
Note: I wasn't around then, but from what I've heard of it, it sounds fun.
I'm talking about when hats were free, but you could only have 1, and you could put the hat on other peoples heads. And bomys were free/cheap..and the people who had the most fun weren't the richest people...
If I got something wrong about the way it used to be, or missed something, post what I missed/got wrong
not till the number of people drops back down to 30 :\

Vyse_the_Blue_Rogue
01-20-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Sir_Gareth
Graal could NEVER go back to what it was used to be.

Why not? They could just change everything, in 1 big update

Psyker
01-20-2002, 10:32 PM
I remember when the highest amount of people we ever had was around 50...

Bomys ran for around 100-1000 gralats, oh...

I miss my herm_0. :(

I also remember when I PKed Yakuzo and got 1000-something gralats. :D

Griffyn
01-20-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Psyker
I remember when the highest amount of people we ever had was around 50...

Bomys ran for around 100-1000 gralats, oh...

I miss my herm_0. :(

I also remember when I PKed Yakuzo and got 1000-something gralats. :D
yep, first time i killed ice pick as a bomy i got 120 from him

Psyker
01-20-2002, 10:35 PM
I remember when the anti-Lycia mob started at Trueheat's house. :p

Sir_Gareth
01-20-2002, 10:36 PM
Exactly, if you wanted graal too go back they way it used to be you owuld have to have a big account reaset, and theres no point in doing that scince graal2002 is comming out, or when gral 2002 comes out and thet population goes down they could probobly do that but I doughtt they will, I even think that the graal 2001 population will go up when graal 2002 comes out because graal 2002 will get so laggy an boring no one will enjoy it.

Psyker
01-20-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Sir_Gareth
Exactly, if you wanted graal too go back they way it used to be you owuld have to have a big account reaset, and theres no point in doing that scince graal2002 is comming out, or when gral 2002 comes out and thet population goes down they could probobly do that but I doughtt they will, I even think that the graal 2001 population will go up when graal 2002 comes out because graal 2002 will get so laggy an boring no one will enjoy it.
um...

g2k2 > g2k1

Beowulf2
01-20-2002, 10:43 PM
I remember the days when 2001 was totally empty save for the fishing house and a couple of those inns and stuff. You used to fish, meet a lot of new people that way, and money really wasn't as important as it is now. You could spend the entire day just walking around the map, and have FUN doing it. Nowadays, you can't even walk around the map without running into idiots and getting PMed to hell. Laggy and stupid useless NPCs like the railroad bog the server's funness down. Farming is retarded, and all other jobs you possibly want to do cost either lots of money or apples to make any true profit.

As far as Graal as a whole, the days were good when Kharlia and CrimeGraal were both up, and you could spend your day on Graal doing quests if you were a newbie, or go hang out in one of the playerworlds if you already finished all the stuff to do on classic. Hanging out in Scorpion's house was a favorite past-time. So was roleplaying on Kharlia. *sigh*:( I miss the good ol' days.

Sir_Gareth
01-20-2002, 10:47 PM

um...

g2k2 > g2k1

huh?

Psyker
01-20-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Beowulf2
I remember the days when 2001 was totally empty save for the fishing house and a couple of those inns and stuff. You used to fish, meet a lot of new people that way, and money really wasn't as important as it is now. You could spend the entire day just walking around the map, and have FUN doing it. Nowadays, you can't even walk around the map without running into idiots and getting PMed to hell. Laggy and stupid useless NPCs like the railroad bog the server's funness down. Farming is retarded, and all other jobs you possibly want to do cost either lots of money or apples to make any true profit.

Fishing was the best.

vovavziggy
01-20-2002, 10:59 PM
OOOHHHHH PLEASE?!
There have been 324023522390850.235208290 threads about "going back to the way it was" or "back to the old graal days"...well, i've got some news for ya...IT A'INT HAPPENING...EVER!

END!

Xythar
01-20-2002, 11:01 PM

Fishing was the best.

Fishing is the best. Just extremely impractical.

Psyker
01-20-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Xythar

Fishing is the best. Just extremely impractical.
Ooh, my bad. :p

Sir_Gareth
01-20-2002, 11:04 PM
I rember everyine fishing in the zomite kingdom place,

feivel
01-20-2002, 11:06 PM
Yeah when i first saw g2k1 and wanted to get an account i was like holy **** this is cool, im gonna be with these cool people. I go to camp for one month, come back and its like "Holy shiz dese newbie be eating my brain!! Aaaah hyperinflation!!! Ah!!!"

feivel
01-20-2002, 11:07 PM
Yeah but that wasnt so long ago,
I used to fish their all the time,
only spot i would fish,
only good way i could make money,
of course thats not there anymore :(

Secret_Agent
01-21-2002, 03:32 AM
That's gey no way keep it the way it is because you all are too lazy to work for your things then bah dont do it!!!! Play another server!!

Kasuagi
01-21-2002, 03:40 AM
nothing like fishing with your buddies :)

Psyker
01-21-2002, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Kasuagi
nothing like fishing with your buddies :)
crono and i used to compete. :D

iniquitus
01-21-2002, 04:50 AM
Think Farther.

I remember when Graal Classic used to be called Graal Online, and there was one really cool server. I'm talkin' pre-AP people. It was a blast! Oh, and the website didn't run phpNuke and actualy looked good and had information besides a "Copyright notice."

Let's go back there! :rolleyes:

In reality, the idea of going back is stupid. We can't go back, going back would mean loosing features we have now, and; moreover, going back to a gameplay system designed for 50 players (when it's REALLY busy) not 300 (when it's slow.)

YES, Graal is getting to a point where there's alot wrong with it, and people who were arround to see it as it developed have good memories "before the dark times...". But going back isn't the solution, what needs to be done is accept the fact that Graal is, and will constantly, be growing. Somone needs to start a project to create a New World (hmm. someone alredy started this... but due to it's ellusiveness, noone ever saw anything from it, no hype was built, and interest was lost. And once the project leader looses interest, the project dies.) This is a project that needs to be open to the public to see, something that needs constant input from players, etc... in all actuality, either the development of New World is taking FAR too long (e.g. by the time it's playable it'll need to be re-done because the software will be at version 4.0 instead of 2.x) or it's alredy dead (my theory.) but no one wants to admit it.

The first thing that needs to be addressed is the size of the world. What worked for Graal with 50 users wont work for Graal with 500. The new world should literaly take about half an hour just to get from one edge to the other. Create the land, even if it's not pretty or polished, plan ahead for expansion. (Graal2001 seemed to attempt to do this, but it's alredy becoming out-grown)

Next is the Gameplay. Develop a good story line, make it so diferent people can have random stories and such. But make team-based quests that are common to almost all story lines, along with some solo-quests, as long as it fits with the story. To encourage a nicer gaming environment, prehaps quest items that are NOT weapons (which is all we see now adays.) would help. Job's are O.K., but shouldn't be the focus of the game, working is something that usualy sucks in real life. why would anyone want to play a game where you do the same tedious, repetive, redundent (joke in there if you catch it.) thing for HOURS on end just to buy stupid items like hats or musicial insturments (Music Insturments were a grate idea, but why not make em' do something? like you need to learn how to play a certain song to warp somewhere [zelda, song of time?]). Above all, anything in the world should have a POINT, or a reason to be there to start with, don't worry about player houses and such to start off with. It makes the story contradict itself if your not careful about it, and alot of the times you walk into very poorly done levels that leave you thinking "where the $#^% did THIS come from?!"

There's so much that could be done with the Graal 2001 software, if Stefan would just concentrate on fixing bugs instead of going and making a 3D world (where Graal has NO chance against real 3D games on the market.) I don't know about everyone else, but part of the charm of Graal is it's old-school sprite-based gameplay, and the fact that it doesn't bring your computer down to a grinding hault so you can actualy do other things while playing the game.

From a finincial standpoint, if I were to recomend LINUX CYBERJOURER the best course of action to be sucessfull, I'd strongly recomend sticking to the Graal 2001 feel, and working on that, along with releasing clients for Mac and Linux, (Being multi-platform will eaisly doubble user-base, if not more.) Create a good Game. The software could be the most wonderfull, feature-rich, pice of code the would has ever seen, but if there's no thought and time put into the gameplay (the world) none of that work will matter.

To be honest, we have plenty of people willing to help, we have plenty of tallent, the problem is almost that we allow playerworlds. Instead of trying to fix things we just loose our tallent and players to people who say "This sucks! I can do beter." and now look at Graal... 20something playerworlds, and almost all of them are horrible, if the energy that went into creating 20 worlds could be tapped to create one Graal Online world, perhaps we might even get somewhere, but as long as anyone can say "I don't like this server, I'm starting my own." we'll just keep loosing more and more potentialy good people.

It's a very touchy situation. And I think if something isn't done soon, Graal will fall into a downward spiral... unfortinately, change often means sacrifice.

In the long run, however-- I think we'll find that if we actualy do this, not only will we find new energy to drive us, but we will also find ourselfs smiling in awe that we could even pull it off. (read: Graal Online hit's 1000 users online during normal useage, on one server, and they are all in an environment where there's little PKing without reason, there's plenty to do, and above all, a place to make friends.) Life isn't perfect, but gaming can get us a little bit closer ;)

Sorry for the length of this, if you've goten this far I'm impressed. I just feel there's a lack of vision or planing for the future here, and think it needs to be addressed. I'm not right on everything here, and I don't intend to sound like I think I am. If after reading this, I've goten you to think... well, that was my goal.

Cheers! :D
[email protected]

funnylinkwantsbomys
01-21-2002, 05:23 AM
oh ya make it so only 5 people are on at night @ 3-6

iniquitus
01-21-2002, 05:24 AM
*As everyone thinks to themselfs "When will this Urizen guy shut-the-^%$-up."* :spam:

funnylinkwantsbomys
01-21-2002, 05:27 AM
oh and u got to breing bak the fishing glitch which was along time after i started :) AND FREAKIN BRING BACK M<INI SURVIVOR

iniquitus
01-21-2002, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by funnylinkwantsbomys
oh and u got to breing bak the fishing glitch which was along time after i started :) AND FREAKIN BRING BACK M<INI SURVIVOR

LOL