PDA

View Full Version : Valikorlia...

Oxy-Moron
01-06-2002, 01:48 PM
I'm all for it's return, since Graal's in need of a roleplaying server.. but.. jesus.. the levels must have been done by a blind man hung on a pike forced to create them by using his toes...-_-

Things better improve fast...

Okay okay, I'm just a bit jaded since Val went up tonight instead of Delteria, but still, they're really rather horrid -_-

Jinx
01-06-2002, 01:58 PM
I would comment but 3/4 of the server is stuck in 'stats.graal'

-Jinx

Oxy-Moron
01-06-2002, 02:13 PM
Let's take a tour of Valikorlia...

First, a rare site indeed on this server...

Oxy-Moron
01-06-2002, 02:16 PM
Next, note the realism put into the level to capture the essence of role playing.

Oxy-Moron
01-06-2002, 02:17 PM
Of course, vital to role playing is the inclusion of levels well designed and laid out for meetings and massacres to occur. Obviously great care was put into their creation...

Oxy-Moron
01-06-2002, 02:18 PM
Another example of the previous element of roleplaying...

Oxy-Moron
01-06-2002, 02:21 PM
I feel like wrapping this up so I'll skip to the coup de grace.

In the Graal world, it's important to protect the Role Playing element from the likes of people who would otherwise ruin it. Of course, to some degree you should hope that people would be honest and good and stick to this rule themselves. As a P2P server, Val brought in players dedicated to role playing, and completely unwilling to hack and chance loss of their account. As a free server, things are exactly the same...

Oxy-Moron
01-06-2002, 02:36 PM
x.x Sorry, but I really am rather irritated that a server this unprepared got up instead of Delteria tonight...

kaddar
01-06-2002, 02:46 PM
Cry. Those images are saddening.

Here is kaddar's rules of levelmaking, some of these should have been followed in this case:

-Good trees - I tend to connect most of my trees, some people say tree connecting "sux" and that you should put random small trees and large trees together, but I disagree.

-Never have a level edge without a link, this rule prevents people from thinking "OH HEY LETS WALK OVER HERE" and then walk into a wall.

-Grass tiles should be random, I even had about 30 different random 10x10 sets of tiles I would mix and match for levels

-No open areas with nothing in it, even if you can't put an npc, put a sign, put a joke, put SOMETHING. Otherwise you are torturing your players

-Speed is not better than quality, I find that 5 good levels are much better than 25 bad ones. Many people are surprised when I tell them old val only had about 48 outdoor levels excluding frost. Why is this? The levels are varied and not square.

-Level generator is dangerous, you can use it to make an entire server, but you probably shouldn't. It's useful for making the base of an area, but you need to vary the terrain in that area afterwards. Edit each level individually, the only good of it is really mountains and quick tree edges. I don't like it because people with connect map off often get messed up when playing on servers (they can use it to go through barriers)

-Make indoor areas as soon as possible, I find many servers go and make the outdoor levels and say "oh, I'll do the indoor stuff later". They end up having doors with no links that players endlessly touch. I put this borded up door image I made back in old old graal on the door, and I usually don't NEED to because I make the indoor levels very soon, if not right after making an outdoor level.

-Explain where the player is, have signs, a minimap, and make sure they know where they are and where they are going. Nothing is more annoying than a player saying "where do I go to get to farms!?". Have a help booth or a website even that explains general newbie areas.

-Make new images, if you need to make ice, or a special intro sign, or something, go ahead and make the image for it. Wall ambience is nice in houses. If you're making a castle, make some npcs for knights in armor. Whenever I make a set of levels, I build a series of images as needed as I go. Background ambience can make one level seem like it is two.

-Have side stories that have no real purpose, I find that it makes players say "ohh, neat" when you have lots of npcs sitting around saying "I killed a monster north yesterday, he was big and green". Players will know where things are better and be more adventurous.

Thanks for reading. If there is anyone who plans to create a playerworld and wants to know how I would map for it, this should help.

Oxy-Moron
01-06-2002, 02:56 PM
Heh... all very good rules to follow which these level makers have not even heard of. The worst part is, you might think "Oh, well these must be Val's old levels from back when it was okay to have crappy levels." The sad part is these are about 90% new... -_- I guess their LATs haven't been paying attention to every other server out there...

Oh yeah, that last pic, that guy with the 8 hearts (actually had a max of 20) and a level 20 sword was staff ::rolleyes:

Valder
01-06-2002, 03:07 PM
I joined Frost and killed Virtue because he was Taron and he killed me with his RC just because I killed him :(

Faheria_LAT1
01-06-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Valder
I joined Frost and killed Virtue because he was Taron and he killed me with his RC just because I killed him :(

I chose Mage and got the paladin class. so I got reset
I chose Mage, got mage, chose miner, got miner, chose Frost and got Taron

WTH!

Oxy-Moron
01-06-2002, 03:22 PM
Gotta love the staff who not only ignore the entire "pk'ing is illegal" concept, but also decide to basically hack and kill anyone that passes by...

So anyway, I go off again, and wait for Stefan to get my beloved Delteria up :(

Oxy-Moron
01-06-2002, 03:24 PM
Oh, and once you choose your class and job, you'll get stuck in a room called stats.graal because they lost the FTP password and couldn't fix an error in the room... Everyone on the server waited there for about 30 minutes before they started warping us to the main world.

Again, as much as I know how much you guys dislike Delteria at least we're prepared

BlKnight
01-06-2002, 03:25 PM
Bah -_-

Hmm...me and BlKnight should make our assasin thing on Val...

freddyfox
01-06-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Oxy-*****

Again, as much as I know how much you guys dislike Delteria at least we're prepared

Pssst... hey, you, yes, you. Look over to the left a bit. Yeah, just a little bit more over to the left... yes... that's good... now, what does that look like to you? "Danger, Explosive?" No, no, try again. Hmmm, yeah, that's right! "UNDER CONSTRUCTION!" Good job!

Brad0629
01-06-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by freddyfox

Pssst... hey, you, yes, you. Look over to the left a bit. Yeah, just a little bit more over to the left... yes... that's good... now, what does that look like to you? "Danger, Explosive?" No, no, try again. Hmmm, yeah, that's right! "UNDER CONSTRUCTION!" Good job!

Arg someone posed as Virtue and said they were owner and Stefan set all there stuff up for them >.<. Luckilly I had level4 rc as well and took his power away...wheres the real virtue....:(

Neglegence2002
01-06-2002, 10:59 PM
*****, THIS ENTIRE THREAD IS TRUE....LOL Valikorlia does suck, and i thought Stefan waznt accepting UC servers....:rolleyes: :o ....

Torankusu
01-06-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Valder
Virtuehe said he would give me a knuckle sandwich.

Oxy-Moron
01-06-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by freddyfox

I don't care how "under construction" a server may be, losing the FTP password is just plain idiotic... The entire thing reeks of "rushed back online".

Sir_Gareth
01-07-2002, 12:16 AM
See the the symbol beside the name?
It means...

Under Construction.

Oxy-Moron
01-07-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Sir_Gareth
See the the symbol beside the name?
It means...

Under Construction.

See the post above you?
It means...

Valikorlia was far from ready to return. Yes, it's presence is needed, but not like this.

I'm normally far from this irritable, but Stefan brought back Valikorlia, while it simply wasn't complete enough to even go online, and ignored how much work a LOT of people have been putting into Delteria... I swear, when Delteria's added to the server list again, you won't hear me complain one bit. Should be within the next few hours, so until then, if you don't care for my grievances, ignore them.

5time
01-07-2002, 12:34 AM
take it down its a sad server -_- the lvs have bad tiling too

BlKnight
01-07-2002, 12:42 AM
Hmmm....wow so Stefan lied to me about no more UC servers?

slp
01-07-2002, 12:42 AM
Thus, Pw team is lazy

Birdbird_0
01-07-2002, 01:25 AM
I saw most of the old old levels, level14 and 13, along with frost, dear god, they raped those levels and made them look so ugly... Kaddar, They rewiend frost and choped the server up with one billion knifes >< HOLD ME. *starts to cry uncontrolably*

kaddar
01-07-2002, 01:26 AM
In my opinion, stefan should create "passworded" servers, servers where each player needs to be added to a list to be allowed on.

This would allow server to go under construction and test their NPC SERVER NPCS (which is impossible without this) and keep the annoying players out who feel it is neccessary to playerkill everyone and whine about the server.

A lot of your problems *probably* could have been solved 30 times faster with this method.

Selecting frost works fine. IF you are unsure of your nation, type "setchar nation" to see your nation looks. (Red = athedia, blue head = frost , for example. (the body is invisible because, I think gif bodies don't work anymore).

You may have started in taron because I have no idea why.

I'd like to remind you all that when old valikorlia got npc server, the entire server did not work for a long time. I don't even know if they got it fixed because I quit being co-owner around that time.

I think what you should do is stop complaining that your server didn't get up, because I think stefan intended to upload both servers at the same time.

I think one good thing about my, Malak, and Drakaden's dicision to go pay to play is that it kept out a lot of the newbies. It made it easier to update because there was less annoying people saying "I AM REBELLING AGAINST A SERVER BECAUSE THE ADMINS ARE ABUSING TEHIR POWER AND IGNORING ME"

I know what it's like to be in Virtue's position, having lots of levels to fix, and 0 time to fix it because of all the people annoying him. Cut the server some slack though, folks, the levels may need work, the server may not be as you remembered it, but if you really don't like it, I don't recommend playing there.

I also don't think the valikorlian staff is lazy, I think most of them are not experienced enough to make levels.

Let's look at the greatest scriptors of valikorlia over time, I may forget a few, and this is not in order, sorry if I miss anyone who still visits the board..:
-
Jagus
Drakaden
Cloud
Malak
Me (=P)
Tyne
Sirus
Geshtar
Trueheat
Virtue
Giemer
Dellita
-

Now take any point in valikorlian history, you can usually find at least 3 of those people on the list.

Right now there is just one though, so valikorlia is having lots of difficulties because that one scriptor is working hard on fixing things with little help.

Brad, I'm not sure though, you might be helping him too, I saw ya online with RC.

AlexH
01-07-2002, 01:33 AM
i cant log onto it for some reason :(

BlKnight
01-07-2002, 01:35 AM
So you think its fair that a crappy server goes up as UC which Stefan says isn't allowed *of course he broke his own rule AGAIN) when other, FAR more worthy UC servers have been working hard and waiting to go up? No. This is completely ridiculous. I am pissed beyond words.

Birdbird_0
01-07-2002, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by kaddar
insert long post here O_-
Newbs like me :( I tryed to be a lat last year there and you said "no" I asked why and you said "I don't like you" than I did a sad face and ran away :(

Its good to keep the newbs out like me though, (at that time) because seriously, it does rewin gameplay for other ususers, but than again, I learned the hard way by just staying there and being called a sort of.. ehem... pyschu *crys and runs off*

Oxy-Moron
01-07-2002, 01:46 AM
::comforts birdbird::

Now look at what you did!! :(

Hooligans...

kaddar
01-07-2002, 02:05 AM
I was mean! ;D

Originally posted by Birdbird_0

Its good to keep the newbs out like me though, (at that time)

Yeah, and me.

I wasn't always a great level maker, heck, I still don't have any idea how to use npc server.

I read somewhere that most people 14 years or younger can't grasp the concepts required for programming. I've been playing this game since it was on cyberjoueur..

I once tried to quit valikorlia in old old val and make my own "suparh fun servar". I still have the horrible minimap, half the levels were big open maps and broke my "rules of level making" The others just sucked.

You know what else is annoying? When someone would come on the server and say "hi can I be a lat? I am a lat on (insert server name)". Basically, they're saying they want to be a lat on 2 servers, this is not good. Not only that, but almost all non-main servers are low enough quality that saying "I am a lat on x server" is not good. That is why I had a standardized test. I am not sure if I had it when you asked, but if I wasn't so stressed I probably would have given it to you, and everyone. I was almost afraid to add new lats because they required FTP and they could screw the server up. I had this happen.

Speaking of my newbie days, My first server was before npc weapons, npc weapons had to be made using followplayer, but followplayer was broken, so it was almost impossible to make npc weapons. (For example, the white graal) I'd make like one new map a day and the server had about 30 maps total. I used a burges core npc that was supposed to attack the player but instead it crashed the client. The maps were horrible, the links were confusing, I had to beg players to get information about THEIR playerhouses.. The funniest thing is that a friend of mine left my server and made their own. We were the first directly competing servers! =P

Oxy-Moron
01-07-2002, 02:11 AM
I was mean! ;D

Yeah, and ... servers! =P

You make really long posts o.o

Editted: Muwhaa now that I didn't associate him his post will look meaningless! *cough*

kaddar
01-07-2002, 02:14 AM
I'm not working on valikorlia.

Please don't associate me with those levels! =P

Aahahahh.

I'm sure given a little time virtue will fix valikorlia.

Kagero
01-07-2002, 02:46 AM
I can't even sign on, because "The server got illegal data from your connection." :(

Neglegence2002
01-07-2002, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Kagero
I can't even sign on, because "The server got illegal data from your connection." :(
you dont wanna log on, all it is, is a bunch of blank lvls, and basic NPC's

TrueHeaT
01-07-2002, 03:36 AM
Next, note the realism put into the level to capture the essence of role playing.

what a bunch of crap
why would that get put up?
jesus.. that's so insulting

kaddar
01-07-2002, 03:56 AM
After I finally escaped the taron DETH HOLE I found some levels that aren't so bad, the old ones ;D

providence_rc13
01-07-2002, 03:59 AM
People who played that valikorlia. I would like to mention that I was not there nor are the proper levels uploaded. SOme how an impersonator went on and acted as me, in so I was greatly upset but got my owner ship back. I a sure you that val will be in better states soon as I get the status and such working. I am sorry for the inconvience and the levels you saw. We are an under construction server and I would apreciate if you take that under consideration.

We have lots to work on and should be done in about a month oh and for a buggy world with no status and crap levels we're doing pretty good with 33 people on enjoying themselfs ;)

Virtue

TrueHeaT
01-07-2002, 03:59 AM
they didn't use my precious bikou, did they? ;(

kaddar
01-07-2002, 04:36 AM
nope, they replaced it... with a bridge

Asuka
01-07-2002, 05:52 AM
LOL i was just walking back and forth in a straight line and swinging my sword constantly and had my nick set to (get in the way of my sword and its your own fault) some people got in the way and died and so they put me in some buggy place and said i was pking =(

providence_rc13
01-07-2002, 06:31 AM
Actualy we're going to use Bikou because it was the greatest RP spot so you have it =)

TrueHeaT
01-07-2002, 06:33 AM
at least ask my permission please =\

BlKnight
01-07-2002, 07:00 AM
I don't get this. All this can be done offline...why would you require to be online? And DO NOT say "because we have to test our NPCs" because your NPCs are no where near the complicity where they need to be tested online.

Neglegence2002
01-07-2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by providence_rc13
People who played that valikorlia. I would like to mention that I was not there nor are the proper levels uploaded. SOme how an impersonator went on and acted as me, in so I was greatly upset but got my owner ship back. I a sure you that val will be in better states soon as I get the status and such working. I am sorry for the inconvience and the levels you saw. We are an under construction server and I would apreciate if you take that under consideration.

We have lots to work on and should be done in about a month oh and for a buggy world with no status and crap levels we're doing pretty good with 33 people on enjoying themselfs ;)

Virtue

lol good point there, but bout the 33 ppl on, there all looking for a job.......:p so keep that in mind...

LanceMartin
01-08-2002, 12:06 AM
I am so glad under construction means nothing now a days. But if you guys remember Tempest of Tiem server? when it was UC? All there was, was a Waterfall saying "TOT comign soon"

RamiAharonov
01-08-2002, 02:00 AM
i was banned in less than a minute from valkoria beacuse i wore my nbk tag :(

omni-m00gle
01-08-2002, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by LanceMartin
I am so glad under construction means nothing now a days. But if you guys remember Tempest of Tiem server? when it was UC? All there was, was a Waterfall saying "TOT comign soon"

I would have prefered that.

Under Construction or not, you guys should be organised. I mean, those levels are just pathetic. I couldn't make a playerworld with a bunch of levels thrown together like that even for a joke. I'd feel sick and want to make them right again. It just doens't make any sense to upload Val like that, even if it IS Under Construction. You should have uploaded something a bit more decent, and closed the playerworld off to players except for Staff, and bug tester players, or something. Then you could test your NPCs, levels, and NPC Server, and not have threads like this created.

But I suppose I can't expect everyone these days to think before they act. :rolleyes:

Jinx
01-09-2002, 08:51 AM
What I am having trouble with, is that the instant I logged on today with my name 'Jinx' , I got a PM from staff saying I needed to change my name. So I changed it to something more RolePlaying(Jinx is my RP Character's First name...but anyways...)

Now I log on and there are staff on(one of them staff being the one that told me I needed to change my name):

"I AM TRYING TO GIVE YOU THEIS"
"Dances, due to insane lack of toalls"
"*At School....yarr*"

wtf? Are those RP names?

And what I also find amazing is that every staff that I've seen so far has at least 50292113 rupees.

-Jinx

Neglegence2002
01-09-2002, 09:11 AM
this post is off topic now, lol

kaddar
01-09-2002, 09:45 AM
AHAHAHAHAHAHA I AM TRYING TO GIVE YUO TEHIS!

There's a story behind that, but it's pathetic. I was making a buggy arena script WITHOUT npc server, it worked, but was buggy. When certain bugs would appear, it would make your chat say "I AM TRYING TO GIVE YUO TEHIS", there were other strange comments it made you say depending where on the script it hanged. The worst part was that it forced this text onto your sentences constantly forever until the npc was removed due to a loop bug.

Just be happy this new version of valikorlia they're making doesn't have that areana.

If I were still an admin I wouldn't have told you Jinx is a bad name, that is overboard. Who was the admin that told you this?

BlKnight
01-09-2002, 09:50 AM
Thats like saying Soul Blade is a bad RP name :rolleyes:

kaddar
01-09-2002, 09:52 AM
There is a pokemon named "Jynx".. .but still, that is with a y.

Oh, and I saw you on with the name "jinx lastnamehere" so I guess you got it cleared away, yay

ZanderX
01-09-2002, 10:24 AM
AHAHAHAHAHAHA I AM TRYING TO GIVE YUO TEHIS!

There's a story behind that, but it's pathetic. I was making a buggy arena script WITHOUT npc server, it worked, but was buggy. When certain bugs would appear, it would make your chat say "I AM TRYING TO GIVE YUO TEHIS", there were other strange comments it made you say depending where on the script it hanged. The worst part was that it forced this text onto your sentences constantly forever until the npc was removed due to a loop bug.

Just be happy this new version of valikorlia they're making doesn't have that areana.

If I were still an admin I wouldn't have told you Jinx is a bad name, that is overboard. Who was the admin that told you this?

HAHAHAHHA. I still remember that. :D

Questa
01-09-2002, 10:33 AM
They need to get their act together reaaaal soon! Bring back TOT! lol j/k

Lao_Su2
01-09-2002, 11:45 AM
U idiot didnt you know the only reason they took ToT off was because Stephan wanted to use their ideas and hence Graal2002 was born

ZanderX
01-09-2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Lao_Su2
U idiot didnt you know the only reason they took ToT off was because Stephan wanted to use their ideas and hence Graal2002 was born

YOU are the one who knows little or nothing.

After GodSpeed left the ToT project, Krakken took over. Due to the little actiong oing on in ToT, it was shut down, and when Krakken and GS were hired for the 2k2 project, they brought alot of ToT's ideas with them.

Jinx
01-10-2002, 04:18 AM
I dont know who told me to change my name. But yes, that was me, "Jinx Lansid"

I thought up that name awhile back for an RP Character, Online I prefer just to go by Jinx though.

And I am not copying the pokemon, every now and then I get some idiot that thinks I am. I thought up this name before those pokemon came out, and if I thought like that my name would most likley be
"SSJGOKU |Leader| {Super Saiins} |Needs GF!!!|"

like too many people are named now.

-Jinx

Questa
01-10-2002, 05:42 AM
OooO! Look at this! I love Valikorlia!

Brad0629
01-10-2002, 05:44 AM
Okewl i was co owner for a day :D

Oxy-Moron
01-10-2002, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Questa
OooO! Look at this! I love Valikorlia!

O_O

I pray that was some horrible horrible joke.

magicvader
01-12-2002, 03:05 AM
Why do you complain about Valikorlia when you can go play on other servers the main reason theres players are on it because they had a good role playing experience a long time ago when it was around but when it went play to play mostly 2 people were only on but its back and its free there may be some mistakes in the levels but its still UC if you dont like it dont play it

Oxy-Moron
01-12-2002, 04:39 AM
Just thought I'd tell a quick tale about my New Val. experience. Logged on last night, went into this little shop with a few people behind the stands and about 5 waiting to buy things. This was encouraging.. then one of the people from behind the stand flew over the counter and began layering thousands of gralat all over the place. I was a bit angered, spouted a few lines about evil people, and began to attack him. I left afterwards. I return later, and begin reading a sign. The hacker from before flies over the counter again and knocks my health to -40 WHILE I'm reading the sign and then tells me not to attack staff.

Again, this is why RP'ing DOESN'T work on free servers.

sac
01-12-2002, 04:41 AM
AFTER THE SERVER WENT UP ALOT OF PEOPLE QUIT G2K1 AND PLAYED THERE =(.
I THINK STEFAN SHOULD MAKE ANOTHER POPULAR PW LIKE NPULSE INTO P2P BC IT'LL MAKE NPULSE ADDICTS UPGRADE

ZanderX
01-12-2002, 07:15 AM
Just thought I'd tell a quick tale about my New Val. experience. Logged on last night, went into this little shop with a few people behind the stands and about 5 waiting to buy things. This was encouraging.. then one of the people from behind the stand flew over the counter and began layering thousands of gralat all over the place. I was a bit angered, spouted a few lines about evil people, and began to attack him. I left afterwards. I return later, and begin reading a sign. The hacker from before flies over the counter again and knocks my health to -40 WHILE I'm reading the sign and then tells me not to attack staff.

Again, this is why RP'ing DOESN'T work on free servers.

It used to, until the dark day when Valikorlia went pay.

Jinx
01-12-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by magicvader
Why do you complain about Valikorlia when you can go play on other servers the main reason theres players are on it because they had a good role playing experience a long time ago when it was around but when it went play to play mostly 2 people were only on but its back and its free there may be some mistakes in the levels but its still UC if you dont like it dont play it

I think the reason people are getting bent out of shape like this was because Val used to be a great server that people loved. Then rumors started flying that it would go back up, and everyone got really excited and a big commotion started. People couldn't wait for it to come out.

I think everyone is disappointed because it isn't as good as it used to be, or as good as they expected.

-Jinx

ZanderX
01-12-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Jinx

I think the reason people are getting bent out of shape like this was because Val used to be a great server that people loved. Then rumors started flying that it would go back up, and everyone got really excited and a big commotion started. People couldn't wait for it to come out.

I think everyone is disappointed because it isn't as good as it used to be, or as good as they expected.

-Jinx

We're disappointed and angry because it is a horrible disgrace to the name Valikorlia.

Jinx
01-13-2002, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by ZanderX

We're disappointed and angry because it is a horrible disgrace to the name Valikorlia.

Exactly.

-Jinx

lordhelmut
01-14-2002, 09:52 AM
That servers levels make me sick.

ZanderX
01-14-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by lordhelmut
That servers levels make me sick.

Me too. :(