PDA

View Full Version : A bright idea.

FatherDante
03-14-2001, 11:48 AM
Well, in my estimation, the greatest shortcoming of Graal's great potential is the way it sells its players short of uniqueness. Every player is, for the most part, almost equal! We can only set ourselves apart by our aesthetic choices- clothing and heads and such.

Other online games usually set characters apart by incorporating a skills or levels system. This not only makes players unique, it rewards those who have played more by making them stronger.
However, a skills system seems obviously outside the scope of Graal, and inconcurrent with its nature on the whole.

Bomys were a great step in that direction. Bomys and humans are very different! But still, every bomy is really the same, and every human is really the same.

So, let's make the players truly individualistic. I have, at this moment, two recommendations for ways that this might be done! Of course, I don't make the game, I have no idea what will work, so append my ideas with your better ideas! Make a difference!

One idea that I thought everyone would really love is to let every person on Graal create and submit their own magic NPC. The NPC could be promptly reviewed, and, if acceptable, given to that player for their individual use. Think about it- wouldn't you love to have your own NPC that only [b]you[/u] could use? It would be such fun!

The downside is, firstly, whoever was reviewing them would have a painfully difficult job! Imagine the number of NPC submissions they would get! The other is, it leaves open potential for "cheapness." There's no way around the fact that some players' NPCs will be, to some extent, better than others. So, some players will have an unfair advantage because of their NPCs.

An aesthetic uniqueness, though having no effecct on gameplay, would be to let players create their own sword ganis. It would be fun and cool- a character who wanted to to, per se, have a two weapon fighting style could make two swords appear instead of one! The possibilities are, if not endless, amusing!

So, do any of you have ideas to make players "special?"

Tyhm
03-14-2001, 12:06 PM
Hometowns. Coming soon to CGM.

FatherDante
03-14-2001, 12:13 PM
Ah, you and CGM

<:0 for the love of God, Tyhm, help on 2001!

Yeah, I know I've dug that argument into the ground...

Lion'el-Jonson
03-14-2001, 12:39 PM
Tyhm! Plz just help a bit on g2k1! It needs your 1337ness!

Tyhm
03-14-2001, 02:51 PM
I will, someday, maybe. When the conditions are met. But I'm not done with CGM, and Lycia and Antago are still here: even if Antago's quit, he can have his old position back in 24 hours. Bet ya.

Lycia
03-14-2001, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Tyhm
I will, someday, maybe. When the conditions are met. But I'm not done with CGM, and Lycia and Antago are still here: even if Antago's quit, he can have his old position back in 24 hours. Bet ya.

What do I have to do with it?

Tyhm
03-14-2001, 03:22 PM
Isn't it obvious? I patently refuse to work on a server with either one of you if I can avoid it. Especially if either one of you outrank me. ^_^

Lycia
03-14-2001, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Tyhm
Isn't it obvious? I patently refuse to work on a server with either one of you if I can avoid it. Especially if either one of you outrank me. ^_^

Then it would appear that you are the immature one here and I'm not.

FatherDante
03-14-2001, 03:50 PM
Ah, Tyhm, all you gotta do is ask and you can outrank Lycia anyway... And Antago isn't back, if you won't come because of the possibility of him returning, you'll never be on g2k1 because there's always a chance he'll return. :(

Fai
03-14-2001, 07:20 PM
Is antago paying for newmain?

Lycia
03-14-2001, 07:29 PM
No.

grim_squeaker_x
03-14-2001, 08:01 PM
Hometowns? Neat... erm... I guess I'll make hometown Babord since they are the chief exporters of (root)beer and I'm a policeman waiting to retire there already anyways ^^
And as for the personal magic spalls, I've already got a changed version of Sardon's Flame Spiral which charges up while you hold A but will cost more and mroe magic while charging it up, I'd like that since explosions are about the ultimate baddie killer ^^

freddyfox
03-14-2001, 10:18 PM
Blah, I was thinking of the home town ideas... you could have a choice of were to start on the big world map. (Although the big world map is basically just a big city. >_< )

Hawk
03-14-2001, 10:57 PM
>.<

Psyker
03-14-2001, 11:15 PM
Magic skill? How about a special sword technique? ;)

Tyhm
03-15-2001, 02:36 AM
Depends on your point of view.

If you assume I'm saying "I don't wanna play with Lycia or Antago bc they're [email protected]!", then yeah, I'd be immature.

If you assume I'm saying "It would be futile trying to work under Lycia or Antago; I don't trust them not to hold it over my head every opportunity, 'You better shut up if you wanna keep your job', etc."

Admins
03-16-2001, 12:14 PM
Custom sword animations would be interesting :-)
Actually it wouldn't be a big problem when we have
the scripted swords

Hawk
03-16-2001, 12:18 PM
yes

Psyker
03-16-2001, 12:58 PM
*imagines Omnislashing someone*
ooooh yeah.

FatherDante
03-16-2001, 03:05 PM
Hm... maybe I'll make dante-slash right now...

grim_squeaker_x
03-16-2001, 07:51 PM
*Makes coward slash for himself (I.E. Tries hitting opponent by throwing sword and immediaately runs away ^^)*

Fai
03-16-2001, 07:55 PM
What if someone made their sword fly around and spin around then and fly 500 feet away and then spin back and kill everyone.

freddyfox
03-16-2001, 10:14 PM
Now there's a brite(Tm) idea!

FatherDante
03-17-2001, 07:10 AM
The only effect is how the sword looks, not is used... no cheap slashes, ey?

I'd like a healing sword, personally... But I'll never get it...

Fai
03-17-2001, 08:02 AM
You should be able to choose either Healing or Hurting sword, and have to reset to get changed, that would be r33t0

Psyker
03-17-2001, 08:09 AM
Haha, healing sword spars.
People would start at 0.5 and whoever got their life maxed out first loses :D

FatherDante
03-17-2001, 08:51 AM
If everybody had healing swords mine wouldn't be special!

Psyker
03-17-2001, 09:02 AM
It would be cool if there was a "random" sword that "randomized" your swings. One time it could heal, another it could damage, one could fullheal, one could instant kill...

grim_squeaker_x
03-17-2001, 07:21 PM
hitboject x,y,int(random(-20,20)) Blah, just make the 20 the amoutn of fullhearts curenty online and adjust the x and y locations and it can do that, although it has a chance of making baddies abnormally strong.