PDA

View Full Version : DX problems

Spunky2000ca
04-28-2001, 01:47 AM
Ok, we've all heard "why doesnt my DX work with Graal?"
and sorry but, im asking that question now.
I have the Disable Direct X7 option clicked. I know that disables it, obviously. But when i have it unchecked, theres no difference. Ive put the fullscreen on 1027x768 and 24 bit color. And that is the only time i can see anything. Even then, I only see half of the effects. Sorta like somone cut the lights in half and removed one half. And i lag like heck. (heck= not allowed to use "bad" words :P )
Anyone know how to solve this problem?
Also, I have a voodood Banshee card. I've heard rumours that it doesnt work with voodoos, but why? and if so, i wouldnt mind having that rumour turned into a fact. Thanks

Spunky2000ca
04-30-2001, 07:44 AM
Anyone got ANY ideas????

CrazedMerlin
04-30-2001, 11:52 AM
Nope sorry :(

Lion'el-Jonson
04-30-2001, 01:20 PM
Nein

Admins
05-01-2001, 06:12 AM
The reason why it doesn't show light effects:
There are different 3D engines, like glide
(for voodoo, also known as 3dfx), OpenGL and
Direct3D. If you want to do 3D graphics then
you must support all of them to get good
results, most 3D games do that.
The problem that Graal has: it also needs
to display 2D graphics (background, sprites etc.).
The only engine that can handle both 2D and
3D is Direct3D, so Graal uses that. People
without 3D card can still see something, while
people with Direct3D(7)-enabled card see
additional light effects.

About using other engines: It is possible to
use other engines, problem is to do the 2D
stuff there since all surfaces must be like 256x256
or some other widthxheight that is a power of 2
(but limited to 256x256 on voodoo cards).
Somehow it would be possible to support that
by writing some complicate conversion code,
but there are still a lot of problems:
- limited texture size
- limited graphic card RAM (at least on older voodoo
cards)
- often only works in fullscreen and doesn't allow
to use any windows stuff like playerlist window,
so that would need to be converted too

I hope you understand that this would be too
much work and would probably produce many
bugs. All newer graphics card (I would say
since end of 1998) support Direct3D

Admins
05-01-2001, 06:15 AM
Forgot to say: some cards say that they
support Direct3D but only support a small
subset of the features, or they use some
software emulation which is of course very
slow

Spunky2000ca
05-01-2001, 09:25 AM
Would getting DX 7a help?

Spunky2000ca
05-01-2001, 09:57 AM
got it
it dont work still =\

omni-m00gle
05-01-2001, 10:24 AM
Yeah, Ive got a question about DX...One of my driver files are corrupt and makes the sound ****ed up completely for all my games...anyone help?

Spunky2000ca
05-04-2001, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Stefan
I hope you understand that this would be too
much work and would probably produce many
bugs. All newer graphics card (I would say
since end of 1998) support Direct3D
Im sorry but i dont.
Though im no computer programmer, why not convert graal to work with voodoos? they're one of the leading cards (if not the leading) and lots of people have em. Id say at least 25% of graalian players have some sort of voodoo. So in a way, thats discriminating against them. And once again, i understand that it has an emmensly large task of programming it, but i think it would be fair to those people that have voodoos.. and I cant afford a new card right now.. so in the end? i get to see bomys, and a couple other things on newmain. i dont think thats very...... worth paying 41 dollars canadian for just to miss all the lighting effects, night, day, and sunset stuff.... Anyone see my point here?

Tyhm
05-04-2001, 02:22 PM
Each voodoo has a slightly different language...each video card has a slightly different language too. This has been a problem with software development since the development of mass-produced computers: how to make one program run on all possible hardware configurations. The solution: translate to the Operating System's language, and have the hardware's custom-tailored software (Driver) translate to the card's language. So what we have here is Graal speaks in Graalian, translates it to DirectX, which the Driver translates to the card's language. With the new features, Graalian now translates to Direct3D, which is a slightly newer type of OS-level language. Your driver for your voodoo card isn't translating Direct3d to the card's language. No amount of Graal repairs will fix the video driver. What you're proposing is scrapping Direct3D altogether and teaching Graal to speak Voodoo...all the variations of Voodoo ever made....and all the Aureal and all the MonsterVisions and all the etc. etc. etc.

Stefan's not going to write proprietary (Driver) software for every 3d card ever produced! How would anything ever get done?!?

freddyfox
05-04-2001, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Spunky2000ca

Im sorry but i dont.
Though im no computer programmer, why not convert graal to work with voodoos? they're one of the leading cards (if not the leading) and lots of people have em. Id say at least 25% of graalian players have some sort of voodoo. So in a way, thats discriminating against them. And once again, i understand that it has an emmensly large task of programming it, but i think it would be fair to those people that have voodoos.. and I cant afford a new card right now.. so in the end? i get to see bomys, and a couple other things on newmain. i dont think thats very...... worth paying 41 dollars canadian for just to miss all the lighting effects, night, day, and sunset stuff.... Anyone see my point here?

VOODOO DUZ NOT WERK WIT BOT 2d N 3d GRAFIX OOGA BOOGAH!

Ahem.. *runs off stage*

Zulithe
05-04-2001, 02:28 PM

Im sorry but i dont.
Though im no computer programmer, why not convert graal to work with voodoos? they're one of the leading cards (if not the leading) and lots of people have em. Id say at least 25% of graalian players have some sort of voodoo. So in a way, thats discriminating against them. And once again, i understand that it has an emmensly large task of programming it, but i think it would be fair to those people that have voodoos.. and I cant afford a new card right now.. so in the end? i get to see bomys, and a couple other things on newmain. i dont think thats very...... worth paying 41 dollars canadian for just to miss all the lighting effects, night, day, and sunset stuff.... Anyone see my point here? Voodoo is a dead technology O.o

He should concentrate on D3D

Spunky2000ca
05-05-2001, 09:39 AM
=\
well i tried to get DX7a cause im open to all suggestions and thats what i was told to do.... but i cant install it cause i got DX8a lol... and my bro says "the only way to get rid of DX is to reinstall windows" i doubt that and i know that perhaps graal will be made to "speak voodoo" but i wouldnt mind trying it. And i cant figure out how to get ridda DX8

LinkX
05-11-2001, 02:17 PM
Spunky.. me have some problems with you.. Voodoo 3500 here.. sucks doesn't it?

Hawk
05-11-2001, 02:30 PM
Would getting DX 7a help?

maybe