PDA

View Full Version : Testbed

pig132
02-21-2013, 12:19 AM
Has it been closed down? :\

DustyPorViva
02-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Looks like it's gone, yup. Needed to check a script on it yesterday and noticed it wasn't on the list. Despite the fact it's probably the only server I rarely frequent... again I hope no one bothers paying for it again. We need to stop doing that ****.

pig132
02-21-2013, 01:32 AM
I was under the assumption Stefan had opened it and that nobody had to purchase it. I can only see negative effects from it closing down. Developers now have nowhere to practice or even start learning...

DustyPorViva
02-21-2013, 01:45 AM
Testbed was a player-run thing, and people have attempted to convinced Stefan to keep it up but it always comes down to the players to pitch in and pay for it to stay up. It shouldn't have ever been like that, so when scripters start disappearing(and they already are) and there are no more to fill in the shoes of those who leave because there's no place to learn, then maybe Stefan will get the message.

haro41
02-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Can't believe it's gone... i guess we're left to beg for testing space on random people's servers.

Anyone wanna help me in hosting my project? Just 1 script, about 100 images.

xXziroXx
02-23-2013, 12:02 AM
Can't believe it's gone... i guess we're left to beg for testing space on random people's servers.

Anyone wanna help me in hosting my project? Just 1 script, about 100 images.

Forum PM me.

Draenin
02-23-2013, 12:51 AM
Who wound up paying for it in the first place?

haro41
02-23-2013, 08:19 AM
Who wound up paying for it in the first place?
I don't know who started it, but twinny paid the bills most recently.

Draenin
02-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Well, we can complain forever about how it really should be a community thing, but I don't think that it's likely to be that way anytime soon.

I'd be willing to chip in if others are too. Twenty bucks apiece from five or six people would be sufficient. If Twinny is the person looking after it, I don't mind trusting him with the responsibility of making the official transaction.

Now more than ever is a great time to tap into using the server for experimentation, teaching others, and improving open-source tools for the benefit of the community.

Joshua_P2P
02-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Hmm so i have seen this thread and i decided since i merged my server with feudal i have 100+ days left and i still own my old server Ventus and have no plans for ventus what so ever if anyone is looking for a space they might as well train there i am gonna pm twinny to see what rights must be set to have a personal scripting so please be patient i will see what i can do

EDIT: So i just got rid of the content on it if anyone would like to use it as a testbed

pig132
02-23-2013, 08:15 PM
I don't see why it should be a problem to open up testbed without anyone paying for it. If Stefan is wondering why his game is going to ****, this is part of it. Developers have nowhere to come from

fowlplay4
02-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Testbed kind of sucked, servers weren't really meant to support so many developers on the same server. Without moderation it also resulted in a lot of issues of players uploading abusive/malicious scripts and annoying other people who tried to use it.

I personally would like to see rent-able 'micro' instances that only a few people can log-on and limited to only staff so people can get their feet wet.

Fidel Castro
02-23-2013, 09:06 PM
I loved the testbed concept, just the other day I was talking to a player on Era who has advanced knowledge of a bunch of different coding languages but wanted to learn gs2, think this would of been a perfect place for him to go to harness some resources and pick it up.

DustyPorViva
02-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Testbed kind of sucked, servers weren't really meant to support so many developers on the same server. Without moderation it also resulted in a lot of issues of players uploading abusive/malicious scripts and annoying other people who tried to use it.

It wasn't the best by any means, but it was pretty much the only thing most of us had available.

Minoc
02-23-2013, 10:13 PM
I loved the testbed concept, just the other day I was talking to a player on Era who has advanced knowledge of a bunch of different coding languages but wanted to learn gs2, think this would of been a perfect place for him to go to harness some resources and pick it up.
I think a better place would be an offline editor that supports GS2.

Draenin
02-24-2013, 07:21 AM
I think a better place would be an offline editor that supports GS2.
That isn't going to happen, man. Our technology is moving on.