PDA

View Full Version : A Level

kalabar24
01-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Howdy. I made this level back when i tried out for Maloria. Feedback? thanks.

zerxusgraal
01-07-2013, 01:36 PM
There is alot of tile errors on the level, start with fixing that up.
The placement of the ground detail such as bushes stones and mushrooms seems very random and not very thought through.
The dirt detailin is horrible imo.
You are alot better than many who posts levels on here and as i've seen on tryouts over the years but you still got a long way to go.

Get rid of the errors find some "how to make cliffs" tutorial

I do kinda like the houses. :)
Its a start, just need a bit more practice

Gos_pira
01-07-2013, 05:37 PM
I like it.

haro41
01-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Work on the flow of the level. Walk around on it in character and you will understand why certain things need to be adjusted.

-The fence blocking the way up the cliff ramp need to be moved or deleted.
-random fence pole at the SE looks nice, but will block movement. kinda mildly annoying.
-A player wanting to go west from here will wan to squeeze thru that small grass area between the house and the cliff. Open that up to make it possible, or make it obvious it is unpassable.
-bush placement. Try not to place them in the middle of paths, and by paths I mean places players would be walking to and from, not the tiles themselves. IE, between the two houses
- the construction of the stone path is very ???. It seems to be growing like a fungus around random objects. A stone path was laid for a reason, to connect places of importance to make travel easier. While it may look interesting, pave over objects in the middle of it like mushrooms or bushes.
- the tall grass underneath the stone path also needs to be gone. By definition tall grass would be in places away from commonly traversed areas. Move it away from the path, and try placing it near the cliff side perhaps.

Good luck in your leveling

Kamaeru
01-08-2013, 11:53 PM
My advice would be to ignore the other posters. You're better at leveling than they are. Aside from Ghost Pirate, who being a god, also deemed your level acceptable. Keep doing what you're doing, don't fix what isn't broken.

Godoco
01-09-2013, 12:42 AM
Love the detailing. The cliffs look a little too straight to me. Good work :pluffy:

bioboi
01-09-2013, 02:42 AM
Aside from the cliff errors and grass detail, I find this level very structurally sound. I like the way you've built up the houses and the path in the cliffs leading to them, although I don't understand why the fence is there obstructing the path, overall though it's pretty nice.
5/10

Kamaeru
01-09-2013, 07:03 AM
Love the detailing. The cliffs look a little too straight to me. Good work :pluffy:

Would look like crap if any zig zags were added.

maximus_asinus
01-09-2013, 08:01 PM
that is a terrible tileset

I don't understand what most of these other posters see in this level. About a quarter of this level is filled with tile errors; some are unavoidable with how you want to structure your level BUT they are still atrocious to look at. Remove all the grass layering, never looks good. The path or bricked areas infront of the houses need to be more structured and minimalized. Remove the fence. Add some more grass detailing.

FaLLChiLD
01-09-2013, 09:15 PM
I disagree with the whole grass layering never looks good. I know it's an opinion as I've seen it debated but really you just need to learn where and how to make it look good. Abusing it is a no though...the old N-Pulse type levels were disgusting 'nuff said.

Kamaeru
01-10-2013, 06:19 PM
I think I'd rather see you make more levels like this. Although there may be some issues with the level, you can work those kinks out as you create more levels. But generally when you take a step back and look at the level, it's really more enjoyable to look at than typical graal fare. You used the cliffing tiles and some others in the appropriate places. It's about what you failed to do wrongly here; you seem to have skipped over the blatant mistakes some levelers (including myself) make when learning. I don't see any reason why you can't work on this style and make it appealing.

maximus_asinus
01-11-2013, 01:49 AM
I think I'd rather see you make more levels like this. Although there may be some issues with the level, you can work those kinks out as you create more levels. But generally when you take a step back and look at the level, it's really more enjoyable to look at than typical graal fare. You used the cliffing tiles and some others in the appropriate places. It's about what you failed to do wrongly here; you seem to have skipped over the blatant mistakes some levelers (including myself) make when learning. I don't see any reason why you can't work on this style and make it appealing.

At least this post recognized that there was something wrong with the level :rolleyes:

I get trying to encourage a player that is getting into development but please do not tell a person to ignore legitimate criticism.

Crono
01-11-2013, 03:05 PM
I highly recommend using the normal pics1 tileset, atleast for practice. The level is masked by its pretty graphics but needs a lot of work done. Style is always an opinion, but tile errors are something that can be factually pointed out. They're rarely justified, so I circled the tile errors you should look into fixing.

red = errors
orange = not sure if tileset problem or error
pink = questionable positions
lightblue = remove

I'm sure there's more but I didn't get a good look. Just keep practicing, the level atleast serves a function.

Kamaeru
01-12-2013, 03:19 AM
red = douche
I think you are going willy-nilly calling things errors. Graal and its tileset are already bogus and erred.
Some of the proper uses of the tileset are actually not the same methods used in A Link to the Past, albeit the tileset is a ripped and re-worked version of that. It seems that the people who re-worked the tileset to make it higher resolution might have been confused to tackle some of the more technical details, and you know as well as I know that when you truly attept to do cliffing to its fullest potential you will find that particular tiles needed are just not correct or not there for certain contexts.
The tiles needed for this level may exist. But I think the omission of 100% of the tiles necessary to do cliffing correctly means that it is innately ridiculous to assume everyone must tile perfectly using a flawed tileset. You busters are no fun.

fowlplay4
01-12-2013, 04:26 AM
nintendo did nothing wrong

Crono
01-12-2013, 10:44 AM
red = douche
I think you are going willy-nilly calling things errors. Graal and its tileset are already bogus and erred.
Some of the proper uses of the tileset are actually not the same methods used in A Link to the Past, albeit the tileset is a ripped and re-worked version of that. It seems that the people who re-worked the tileset to make it higher resolution might have been confused to tackle some of the more technical details, and you know as well as I know that when you truly attept to do cliffing to its fullest potential you will find that particular tiles needed are just not correct or not there for certain contexts.
The tiles needed for this level may exist. But I think the omission of 100% of the tiles necessary to do cliffing correctly means that it is innately ridiculous to assume everyone must tile perfectly using a flawed tileset. You busters are no fun.

Get off my ***s. All of those errors can be fixed and pointing out factual errors is better than nailing on someone based purely on opinion. I'm well aware of A Link to the Past's levels but they didn't have the same freedoms as we do now. The level itself has poor detailing, is full of errors that can easily be fixed, and wouldn't look as appealing if it was using pics1.png. The houses are also awkwardly sized.

zerxusgraal
01-12-2013, 03:46 PM
As Crono said there is plenty of errors that id easy to fix
He posted it for opinions and i guess to get help with what is bad about it.
Why would we all lie and say there is nothin wrong?
Telling our opinion is to help him/her improve

Kamaeru
01-12-2013, 09:22 PM
I could have pointed out those errors but felt it was unimportant. I think that once a leveler hits this cusp of design-enlightenment that those errors become a little less important and it would have been more useful to help inform the leveler of things he may need to know in order to progress his designs. If he is able to do well in the future he will surely notice the tile errors and figure out how to fix them on his own.

Tashkin
01-13-2013, 12:38 AM
Howdy. I made this level back when i tried out for Maloria. Feedback? thanks.

He ask for feedback on this level. So Crono stating the tile errors in the level are more than acceptable. From reading on the forums you just seem to have a personal issue with Crono. If this was my level I would be happy to know the errors I made so that I could correct them. Being told what to look for simply helps you as you make new levels.

maximus_asinus
01-13-2013, 03:35 AM
I don't think he has anything against Crono, more of a hate for the style of tiling that Crono represents.

Kamaeru
01-13-2013, 04:54 AM
More like I'm still waiting for him to complete my challenge. :)
I have not even ever seen a level made by Crono.

Crow
01-13-2013, 10:06 AM

Top left level:
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79951

Crono
01-13-2013, 01:08 PM
More like I'm still waiting for him to complete my challenge. :)

I work in Valve time.

Top left level:
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79951

This was prob my best one before I stopped, it was a long time ago though:
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77549

mewtoo18
01-15-2013, 02:33 PM
nice level keep up the work