PDA

View Full Version : Roak

Decus_Arillias
01-22-2012, 05:00 AM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak-serverbanner1.png

ROAK is a upcoming server that represents classic style in a new way. We have many new features that will bring classic graal back to its roots. Our goal is to improve the classic style of sparring/pking with advanced movement, strategic monsters, boss fights and rewards.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak-screen6-1.png
Keeping it Classic!

Some of our improvements are going to be some that may seem familiar, such as the ability to block with your shield. You will have the ability to block arrows, rocks, sword, and bushes with your shield. We also have the zelda style dash and sword charge (the sword-glow spin). We are bringing back the hookshot, which will be very useful to complete quests. We are going to have very similar style quests that zelda lttp contains with a storyline.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak-screen7-1.png
Advanced Overworld

Our overworld was created so we could add new aspects to graal. One of our new ideas is the ability to obtain wings and fly. This overworld has a horizon, floating islands, and outterspace. There will be flight time, and cooldown time to aviod laming in pk areas. The overworld on Roak is very active and different then most servers, such as day/night, weather, days of the week, a sun that rises and sets according to server time (it will move from west to east across the gmap horizon). Also we dont have houses all over the gmap like you see on other servers. We have actual coasts, forests, highlands, deserts and so on. The gmap is about 32X32 its massive. We dont have any warp rings but we have warp portals that will warp you to specific areas at a cost. There will be towns/ports with ships that sail from town to town and we are hoping for future personal boats (future details will be release later).

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak-screen12-1.png
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak-screen11-1.png
Underwater Adventure!

We have a unique swimming system here on Roak. You have the ability to swim underwater, and obiously above water. Swimming underwater will allow you to swim deeper, to go inside underwater caves, or quest entrences. Just make sure you dont run out of breath.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak-screen1-1.png
Player involvement

So we have new ideas that will make the players of Roak more involved then any other server. One is the option to auction off your personal house furniture, harvested items, tools, and weapons. You can also sale/trade from player to player also. We have a custom profile where you can add more details if you want to about yourself. Our jail system is also unique. Players who are temporary jailed on our server will be locked in wooded stocks. You will be able to buy tomatoes and throw them at their faces. Those jailed players will have a time limit just like other servers and will be noted as "Village Idiots". We will have quests that involve more then 2 people, so we have a party system to invite friends or other players to help complete quests. Our server will also contain guild quests.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak-screen9-1.png
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak-screen10-1.png

Guild Involvement

On Roak, one of our main focus is going to have guilds involvement. We have a area called The Abyss. This area will count guild kills 24/7 to keep a database of the top guilds on the server (based off kills/deaths/ratio). Players will be able to earn abyss points by completing pvp quests or gaining lots of kills (details not included).

Leaders can register their guild and have the ability to set personal wars between other guilds. The Leader can set however man kills, and whichever guild reaches those kills first wins the war. (there will obiously be a min and a max set of kills allowed). This server will also keep count of your guilds war wins/losses. We will have new style of fortresses, seiges and much more. We cater to guilds! More discussion on this will be included soon.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak-screen2-1.png
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak-screen5-1.png

Events

We will be adding the old events you see on other servers with improvements plus new additions such as Jousting. Players will have the ability to have a pet and raise it. It will grow and as it grows / levels you can add points to different areas to make your pet unique. Those attributes will be speed, coordination, stamina and intelligence. When your pet fully matures, you will be able to use it as a mount. I know I know...wth does that have to do with events? Our "mount race" event will get you very nice prizes, money and fame!

Other Ideas

So we have some ideas besides the ones stated above and would like to hear feedback on what others think.

Crafting System: One of our ideas was to have a crafting system where we disable personal swords, shields, and bodies. To be able to upload your personal images you would need to have the correct materials, then you would be allowed to upload the image via in-game.

To gather these materials would you need to harvest them. Some areas would require a group of players to help kill off monsters. Also you would need the correct "level" to harvest that item.

Real hack and slash bosses and monsters: So another idea we have is to make monsters and bosses much different then the regular baddy. There will be strategy involved with monsters that resist swords yet can be killed by arrows, with different movements rather then a straight-attack. We are hoping to master this idea by making baddies / lizardons who can actually "compete" with good pkers and sparrers.

I guess what im trying to say is, our new server is really cool.

callimuc
01-22-2012, 05:16 AM
Just looked at the images. This is getting my attention way more. Seems very nice good luck with it and good luck to everyone applying.

Decus_Arillias
01-22-2012, 05:19 AM
More Screenshots

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak-h-1.png

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak-b-1.png

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak-c-1.png

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak-i-1.png

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak-g-1.png

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak121-1.png

^Updated Lanterns

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak-f-1.png

sssssssssss
01-22-2012, 06:24 AM
It's still not done, but a little preview of our profiles.

maximus_asinus
01-22-2012, 06:42 AM
I remember working with your tileset and came up with some awesome levels. It looks great.

smirt362
01-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooool

Decus_Arillias
01-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Thanks, kudos to Dusty, and some of the free tiles posted on the forums also, helps a lot. Still got a ways to go but its getting there.
Our profile is going to have more added, like borders and stuff.
we were gona keep the sssssmmmmaallllll border text as the border, but i figured id make a small border.

Andre2006
01-22-2012, 01:27 PM
It looks wonderful, I hope you get somewhere with this!

NicoX
01-22-2012, 06:58 PM
This looks more like a hiring Thread. Its beautifull. I hope this will work out how you guys want and we see that Server soon on that bored Classic Tab ;)
Good Luck.

Emera
01-22-2012, 07:22 PM
This looks pretty damn amazing. Can't wait to see how it turns out :P

DARKVILLIN
01-26-2012, 05:17 AM
Not bad. I like what I see so far and its been awhile since I'VE said that...

sssssssssss
01-29-2012, 05:46 AM
Our inventory. Still working on it a bit but the looks are basically done.

MattKan
01-29-2012, 05:53 AM
I like all of the graphics, but if you're looking for criticsm, the levels are messy and a bit spastic. The grass is just all over the place, same with the cliffs.... I don't know, it's like tiny clumps of cliff and grass, not big ones. And it doesn't look very good.

Graphics are great though, and I'm excited to play :D

racycle
01-29-2012, 07:49 AM
I like what you did with my old tree. I would suggest a bigger tree-top and recolor the grass planks to match yours. Love the new look. Great improvement from last time I saw.

snoop413
01-30-2012, 01:39 AM
this server looks pretty sick.

sssssssssss
01-30-2012, 01:50 AM
Updated just a tad. Puts the wep name in middle bar, with hints also. This thing is about done I'm sick of it lol. :)

Geno
01-30-2012, 05:00 AM
i like the tiles and graphics n stuff

Demisis_P2P
01-30-2012, 05:24 AM
Absolutely hate the UI.

Everything else looks good.

Tricxta
01-30-2012, 06:01 AM
Yer the ui is a bit too cramped. Looks awesome though, nice stuff.

r3ckless
01-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Server is looking good, keep up the excellent work guys! :)

Decus_Arillias
01-31-2012, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the support! We will definatly look into a new UI. Not at this time though :) We're focusing on moving forward. We will be posting a big update on the gmap/levels and a new Hobbit style town in the makings! Yes, our server will have "hills" with a very nice vally.

Before we hit preview i will go over some of our gfx like our town signs, touchups on cliffing and a few other things so it will look even better.

We're shooting for a preview around the end of february.

Imperialistic
07-06-2012, 02:23 AM
jesus ****ing christ, this server looks amazing.

bump: can we please get an update?

ff7chocoboknight
07-06-2012, 03:05 AM
Why do people spam grass layers? I've been seeing a lot of people doing it, and I think it's rather ugly.

Other than that, looks nice.

DeCeaseD
07-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Server died. :o

sssssssssss
11-25-2012, 04:45 AM
Server ALIVE. Sorry guys, real life tends to happen from time to time. :O

Blah64
11-25-2012, 05:07 AM
I dislike the 'real life'. It gets in the way of everything.

sssssssssss
11-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Yuuuup, like a kick ass server. We are working on it again. I'll post from time to time here what is going on, but don't expect screenshots or anything for a bit. We have a lot to redo and fix up.

zerxusgraal
11-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Server looks cool Cyril, keep it up!
Tone down the grass on grass tiling though :)

Gos_pira
11-27-2012, 05:14 PM
I would definitely play this.

sssssssssss
12-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Still updating. Redid a lot of the gui. Redoing the chat system from that dumb screen fade crap we used to have. Also will be working on the movement system. I'll post a vid of what WE have had on this server forever for a warp system too, just to get you kiddos excited again.

Decus_Arillias
12-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Heres a quick preview of how our warping system will be in Roak. Yes we're still working on all our GUI i know they look crappy :)

g_HBYoyC9lM

HOPEFULLY if we get enough content made, we will post a trailer for one of our continents by next Sunday.

sssssssssss
12-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Kick ass warp we've had since like 2008.

We are changing the gui for the chat box and then taking the player head out on the top left.

Working on a lot of other things too! By the end of the month I will also add a video showing our movement system, gui and menus, and a few key systems we'll have completed.

Tricxta
12-02-2012, 12:04 AM
To be honest, that warp effect doesn't make alot of sense, might just be me however.... Awesome sound effects however! It's also good to see you tidied up the hud, nice work.

DustyPorViva
12-02-2012, 01:53 AM
In v6 you can now zoom the canvas. If you take that warp effect and gradually increase the transparency value(which makes the effect stronger) while zooming it might make a cool effect.

Also what's with the ripped lttp statues?

sssssssssss
12-02-2012, 04:13 AM
Placeholders, temps, and all sorts of other things. Just because they are there doesnt mean we cant show a preview of how something works.

Decus_Arillias
12-02-2012, 04:30 AM
Sorry, completely my fault for not making sure our new ones were uploaded before the video. Heres our new warp pad and statue. Hope you like it :)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak-warppad.png

sssssssssss
12-02-2012, 04:52 AM
We have taken everyone elses criticism and have been improving the server greatly. A few changes to the gui and some other things we've been working on tonight.

Decus_Arillias
12-02-2012, 04:57 AM
We will post some screenshots of our new gui and stuff tomorrow once we get all the kinks out :)

MattKan
12-02-2012, 06:50 AM
Sever before: ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Server now: |||

:/

Geno
12-02-2012, 08:03 AM
wtf is up with your tile job at the 20 second mark of the video. i poop better levels. pics upon request.

Phorcys
12-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Really well done!

Decus_Arillias
12-02-2012, 04:36 PM
wtf is up with your tile job at the 20 second mark of the video. i poop better levels. pics upon request.

This forum thread is moving this way -----> to page 4 to post progress. We will post pics when we're ready to. Page 1 has a lot of pics to get an idea of what we're doing. It also has pics of some stuff at the 20 second mark. The levels on this server might be detailed but thats just the way it is. We're now in the progress mode and if people don't play the server just because of the grass then we defiantly have a lot more problems then detail.

This whole gmap levels were made by 1 person. Me. Which is quite a lot of work regarding the content we have as far as levels. When your actually walking around on the server everything fits in a lot better. Graal hasnt seen this style of a gmap ever.

Hiro
12-02-2012, 11:39 PM
so how many 100 level castles will this server have?

sssssssssss
12-02-2012, 11:56 PM
xD We're not sure yet but we're almost to making that stuff. Do you still have all that stuff written out and mind sending it to me?

Hiro
12-03-2012, 04:52 AM
xD We're not sure yet but we're almost to making that stuff. Do you still have all that stuff written out and mind sending it to me?
nah i don't have that anymore

Decus_Arillias
12-03-2012, 04:25 PM
so how many 100 level castles will this server have?

the gmap is 36x36
1296 levels. lol

about 1/4 of the levels is the horizon
We wanted our mounts, boats, and player wings purpose for travel. Actual oceans separating continents also take quite a bit of levels. The continent i'm working on now is 7 x 13 which is quite large compared to other servers.

We will have approx. 4-5 continents.

papajchris
12-03-2012, 06:56 PM
the gmap is 36x36
1296 levels. lol

We wanted our mounts, boats, and player wings purpose for travel. Actual oceans separating continents also take quite a bit of levels. The continent i'm working on now is 7 x 13 which is quite large compared to other servers.

I just hope you wont have 1296 levels, and people only stay in 2-3 levels like UN

Hiro
12-04-2012, 07:03 AM
I just hope you wont have 1296 levels, and people only stay in 2-3 levels like UN
no developer seems to think keeping servers small is a good idea

sssssssssss
12-04-2012, 03:01 PM
New "Chatbox" as well call it (the bottom-left box).

It can handle messages to players, masses, guild messages, and more!

I'll include this items functionality among others on my future video of our systems, which is coming soon!

sssssssssss
12-09-2012, 06:49 AM
New inventory. Separated by categories so it's easier to narrow down want you want, just like the classic q menu does with folders for the most part. Side buttons select the category. You can also right click to drop an item or do other things I'll mention later on.

The right will have "key" items, such as collectables, quest keys, ect that don't really need much of anything but a count.

I am posting this with it not finished to ask what kinds of things you guys would like to see as extra information in an inventory though. Creative ideas to make something new as an item or system is good advice as well!

Let us know! We ARE making this server for you in the end anyways.

Also the levels are not done and I probably could have taken a screenshot in a better place where tiles werent near finished yet among other things, so just ignore that. :)

Matt
12-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Looks good guys.

SylviaA
12-12-2012, 05:11 AM
Neato! Good luck on the server :)

Decus_Arillias
12-17-2012, 02:38 AM
We've been working hard, trying to release enough content to show off some progress on our development. As far as the gmap goes, i'm just about done with our 2nd continent. We will post a small trailer showing off its areas with screenshots soon. I also went ahead and re-detailed the whole server ( all the grass layers everyone was talking about). I'm thankful for the advise and the server looks so much better. Also remade quite a bit of the tileset, including our trees top/bottom, grass, and some other pieces. I'm going to go ahead and post a map of the huge continent, so you can see the "layout" kinda...

more coming soon!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak-cont1.png

Kamaeru
12-17-2012, 04:36 AM
****in right

sssssssssss
12-24-2012, 03:58 AM
Just a little update:

We've built upon a mail system and now have that finished and tailored to our server. We are working on the npc chat right now, and then moving on to the quest systems.

Other things in the near future are:
- A finished inventory
- Complete player movement system done right
- Shop system
- Extra stuff affiliated with the shop system and economy (will be released when it's done)
- A complete quest with levels and all
- Baddies/Monsters AI
- Tidy up of the current weapons to work complete
- Spar room systems

These are just the things we are looking to finish within the next few weeks in scripting. For levels an entire second continent is near finished, with mostly only insides left. Decus (I think) is then moving to the main continent. Hopefully we will be ready for yet another "preview" within a month. We need a lot more content to really show what we're trying to do still so, hopefully...

I know I haven't shown much of our old or revamped systems off too much yet. I'm waiting on getting enough to do a little video so you all can see how it will actually work together.

Cloven
12-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Lookin' good. :)

maximus_asinus
12-24-2012, 05:29 PM
no developer seems to think keeping servers small is a good ideabecause it isn't

On topic, the quality of work you guys are putting out is amazing. I would come back to Graal to play this server if the quality is as high as it seems.

smirt362
12-24-2012, 08:15 PM
no developer seems to think keeping servers small is a good idea

When I was working on Arca I had this idea that there would just be the main city that you could wander around freely. For dungeons and other areas you'd select them from a list and get transported to the first level. Depending on what it was, it would be instanced for you and your party.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak-cont1.png

Also, WOW. I really like that. Especially how you have the sky and then the mountains. Maybe have the water coming out of the side of the mountain for that waterfall? Seems kinda weird to just have a little puddle feeding that lake. Maybe also make the waterfall kinda stair stepped too.

Hiro
12-26-2012, 12:48 AM
When I was working on Arca I had this idea that there would just be the main city that you could wander around freely. For dungeons and other areas you'd select them from a list and get transported to the first level. Depending on what it was, it would be instanced for you and your party.i'm sure similar ideas have been suggested, and yet it's never actually implemented anywhere

because it isn't
your amazing reason and persuasion skills have made me seen the light!

****ing idiot

haro41
12-26-2012, 06:03 AM
awesome map, but you should design the map around the story/dungeons, and not the other way around.

maximus_asinus
12-26-2012, 05:04 PM
your amazing reason and persuasion skills have made me seen the light!

****ing idiot
I never explained my reasoning because your post was almost three weeks old and it seemed like a waste to explain something if you might not read it. I replied to test the waters and to see if you were still active.

Now I don't even want to debate it because I feel all your reply would be is an insult riddled with profanity.

Decus_Arillias
12-26-2012, 05:10 PM
awesome map, but you should design the map around the story/dungeons, and not the other way around.

You're right. We have a basic story line, and it fits perfectly with the map created. Our story will actually relate to the tile set in some areas on the gmap. This is why we/i will not hire lats until the structure of the gmap is finished. That continent posted is 100% now besides monsters roaming.

We have a floating island main town for players who do not want to be involved with the story, or quests. People who want to get on and spar/pk don't even have to go anywhere besides the main town. Although, not doing quest, content like guild houses, player wings, mounts, money, story, items, weapons, some events and more will be missed out.

As far as levels/gfx go, I've redone almost everything, and now i'm working on inside levels. Once we finish some scripts, the insides for all the outside created, we will request a preview.

Decus_Arillias
12-26-2012, 05:25 PM
When I was working on Arca I had this idea that there would just be the main city that you could wander around freely. For dungeons and other areas you'd select them from a list and get transported to the first level. Depending on what it was, it would be instanced for you and your party.

Also, WOW. I really like that. Especially how you have the sky and then the mountains. Maybe have the water coming out of the side of the mountain for that waterfall? Seems kinda weird to just have a little puddle feeding that lake. Maybe also make the waterfall kinda stair stepped too.

This is pretty much how we're doing Roak. But we have other towns to interact with the story. Quests will be instanced, and we will have guild / group quests also. I just want to point out, this server is an improvement of graal CLASSIC style gameplay. We will not have any type of level up systems for pking, everyone is equal when it comes to sparring/pking. We will have a level system that fits in with the classic style, like the lv1-lv4 glove, but we will have higher levels for the hammer, and gathering. For example, a LV4 shovel can dig through ice. Other Improvements would be your shield can block hits, smart npcs who "can spar good" for quests, bows, bombs, hookshot, dash, sword charge spin, all have important reasons to roaks gameplay, the ideas that made graal fun in the past, are back with improvements and purpose.

zerxusgraal
12-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Sounds Awesome :)

Elk
12-26-2012, 06:41 PM
It's nice to see that I inspired other artists :)

Felix_Xenophobe
12-26-2012, 07:02 PM
dat sky man. really cool stuff here

Hiro
12-26-2012, 08:49 PM
I never explained my reasoning because your post was almost three weeks old and it seemed like a waste to explain something if you might not read it. I replied to test the waters and to see if you were still active.

Now I don't even want to debate it because I feel all your reply would be is an insult riddled with profanity.
so you responded without thinking i would respond?

yea, ok

FaLLChiLD
12-27-2012, 11:16 AM
I'd like to see something better for the UI and inventory visual design. The colors seem lacking feeling and it just seems clunky/unrefined. Good things happening here though, keep it going. Send me a forum PM.

sssssssssss
12-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Finished our npc dialog. We're probably going to end up improving on it later but it is complete, fits the server, and works.

Next up is the quests and quest trackers. I'm also working on the movement system when I get sick of this other stuff. It will really piece what we are doing together and show how much you can interact with the world compared to a typical graal server.

I've also added a 2nd selected weapon to fire as well, and a few little things here and there like moving npcs (which I'm still adding to as well).

I'm also going to revamp our guild system, auction house, shop system, and are continuing to clean up as much as possible the weapons and code that are already there to make them quicker and more effecient (any experienced people want to help please forum pm me, it's just me and one other guy that is one when he can be).

All in all, progress is good and steady it seems. Once I can get these things out of the way I'm going to move on to events and such.

Draenin
12-28-2012, 02:13 AM
Looking good, man. Looking really good. Keep it up!

maximus_asinus
12-28-2012, 02:30 AM
so you responded without thinking i would respond?

yea, ok

No, I expected a reply but I didn't expect you to be so hostile. What I expected was your reasons why a small overworld was a good idea, and then I would go from there.

Hiro
12-28-2012, 05:44 AM
No, I expected a reply but I didn't expect you to be so hostile. What I expected was your reasons why a small overworld was a good idea, and then I would go from there.what you originally quoted me responding to is the reason. overworlds are typically big, and yet most players only really use maybe 5 of them. especially in regards to under construction servers, why waste time making this gigantic overworld when players won't actually use them?

if you have a good reason for it, like exploration or something, then it can work. but typically it is just a waste of space and development time.

also if you reread your original response, you are not exactly friendly. hurr obv. no dev think it gud cuz duh l0l its not

sssssssssss
12-28-2012, 05:51 AM
if you have a good reason for it, like exploration or something, then it can work. but typically it is just a waste of space and development time.

I dunno if you remember but we do have plans for a large OW to matter. Especially for quests and guilds. Like Decus said we have a "floating island" with almost everything any normal player would use there to just sit, spar, and pk.

Granted most players do the latter; sit, spar, and pk. We're not going to leave multiple plans for quests, a story, and guild events out though and it requires quite a good size of OW to accomplish what we need.

I do understand what you're saying but it's not just wasted space, most of it is necessary to what we are doing on the server.

Hiro
12-28-2012, 07:16 PM
I dunno if you remember but we do have plans for a large OW to matter. Especially for quests and guilds. Like Decus said we have a "floating island" with almost everything any normal player would use there to just sit, spar, and pk.

Granted most players do the latter; sit, spar, and pk. We're not going to leave multiple plans for quests, a story, and guild events out though and it requires quite a good size of OW to accomplish what we need.

I do understand what you're saying but it's not just wasted space, most of it is necessary to what we are doing on the server.

it might feel necessary for what you plan for the server, but does it fit into your plan to get onto the classic tab? as long as it seems feasible, then i guess go for it. but if that island is not completed and instead you're focusing mostly on the large overworld which may or may not be used regularly, it may end up being a waste of time if you don't actually make it.

as long as it's within reach of both completing what you envision for the server and getting onto the classic tab, then it's fine. but i'd say the latter is more important because the former can be worked on once the foundation is done.

sssssssssss
12-28-2012, 07:56 PM
It in fact does fit into the plan to get on classic tab, thus is why it is necessary...

I'm really not trying to argue about it. The plan me and Decus have for the server is a complete plan, so we are following through on all of those levels of development and not just one?

Again, don't feel like arguing about it. This is neither the thread nor do I really have time. If you want to continue discussion on the topic please use forum PM.

Hiro
12-28-2012, 08:11 PM
It in fact does fit into the plan to get on classic tab, thus is why it is necessary...

I'm really not trying to argue about it. The plan me and Decus have for the server is a complete plan, so we are following through on all of those levels of development and not just one?

Again, don't feel like arguing about it. This is neither the thread nor do I really have time. If you want to continue discussion on the topic please use forum PM.

it's just my opinion. even when i was helping you guys out you disregarded it, so i'm not really thinking you would change anything even if we did argue about it.

you guys like gigantic levels and such, and that's fine. it's part of your style. if the project gets completed then it doesn't matter.

sssssssssss
12-28-2012, 08:54 PM
it's just my opinion. even when i was helping you guys out you disregarded it, so i'm not really thinking you would change anything even if we did argue about it.

you guys like gigantic levels and such, and that's fine. it's part of your style. if the project gets completed then it doesn't matter.

See that's condescending. It's not that we just "disregarded" your idea, and it's not that we like "gigantic levels and such". I can't stand that UN is so big and wasted. We're doing it because, like I've been saying, there is a meaning for it to our playerworld. Again dude, I know your look on it, but you don't actually know what we're doing at this point because it's been years since you were helping us out now, I believe.

How do you think mounts, pets, ships, and such type things will work out on 6 levels total? We're doing it because it's needed for how we're going towards the server. You don't have to be so negative or anything, because at this point it's not us ignoring your criticism...we have an area for what you are saying that has been nearly completely done for quite some time now. The rest of what we are doing is the vision of our server, so it's not wasted time it's the reason we're doing this server (we're not making 10 levels to simply spar and chill, we had an idea from the start).

Decus_Arillias
12-29-2012, 03:24 AM

This isn't your typical server where there's a bunch of houses everywhere that no one goes in. We don't have a spar rooms every 10 levels or player houses littering the gmap. We will have a specific continent for player houses, and guildhouses, aligned to the server fittings. We're planning for a high playercount so we're making sure we have room to fit the needs of the server, also we plan to release server expansions after release.

the gmap is 36x36
1296 levels. lol

Most of the continent is forest, highlands, ect with monsters roaming. Monsters will have drop rates for quests, or simply harvesting or ingredients for cooking and other features that we're not ready to disclose. So cutting that continent in half would crowd single player questing by limiting the monster count, limiting the town sizes, limit the separation of environment (meaning 2 level forest suddenly turning into a 4 level desert looks ridiculous) and limiting the adventuring on the server. I hope this shines some light on your concerns regarding the server size.

Hiro
12-30-2012, 03:10 AM
like i said, it's fine if it fits into the project and is actually utilized.

we've seen that a lot of the time UC servers spend quite a bit of time making giant overworlds, and then never see fruition. it makes no sense to create these oversize spaces, or to waste money on rental time in which to finish them, and then have players only stick to the same few levels. but really, if you can make it work, then work it.

sssssssssss
01-03-2013, 04:28 AM
Just a little update...

We are basically finished with the movement system. Maybe small things here and there but it's done. Our NPC Dialog is also complete. Also Decus has been updating some of our 4-5 year old levels and images before moving on to finishing the 2 continents we have so far. Things are moving well and smooth.

Next up for systems is the quest trackers. It's just so the player can pick up, view, follow, and complete quests. From there we will be adding in monsters/baddies. On top of this I will be finishing all the weapons and systems that were either incomplete or crappy from our last attempt.

I will also be redoing our ganis to match the new systems in place. Pretty much every single gani is going to be redone because they are crappy or out of date lol.

Again things are running quite smooth. Things are getting completed at a great level compared to our last run at this. I'm hoping to post a video of our core systems and a few extra by Jan 12th. It's not a promise but that is my goal since classes start the 14th and my time is limited again until May.

Stay tuned and hopefully you guys are getting excited because we are pretty close to doing an open preview with way more to offer than our previous previews.

Rave_J
01-03-2013, 05:24 AM
I Think there good a decent job with this player world its creative and unique style looking at the screen shots too bad i cant log on to check it out but keep up the good work guys never give up on your goal but everybody going to agree and disagree about decisions are made with staff but that's part of it

Decus_Arillias
01-03-2013, 05:38 AM
I Think there good a decent job with this player world its creative and unique style looking at the screen shots too bad i cant log on to check it out but keep up the good work guys never give up on your goal but everybody going to agree and disagree about decisions are made with staff but that's part of it

Appreciate the response, but don't expect everything to look the same as the screenshots showed. We've redone almost everything. That being said, we're proud to announce that the server will be unlocked by the end of this week. We will allow players to log on but only allowed to look around on the main town.

ff7chocoboknight
01-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Screenshots look like Maloria and Delteria's unholy spawn.

smirt362
01-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Screenshots look like Maloria and Delteria's unholy spawn.

I'm ok with this

sssssssssss
01-05-2013, 06:32 PM
In a hurry to clean up a lot of stuff to open up by sometime Sunday!

Rave_J
01-05-2013, 07:42 PM
In a hurry to clean up a lot of stuff to open up by sometime Sunday!

can't wait to look around

sssssssssss
01-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnndd it's open. Come visit! Obviously we're not done. There may be tile errors, bugs, and other messed up things.

Please kindly let us know any bug or issue you find. Thanks.

Astram
01-07-2013, 04:03 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnndd it's open. Come visit! Obviously we're not done. There may be tile errors, bugs, and other messed up things.

Please kindly let us know any bug or issue you find. Thanks.
Closed already D: I missed it :(

sssssssssss
01-07-2013, 05:15 AM
Open again. Fat fingers and being tired lol...

smirt362
01-07-2013, 07:30 AM
Entering the abyss causes some weird crap to happen. I'm lagging horribly and the tileset isn't loading

sssssssssss
01-07-2013, 02:03 PM
I heard about the tileset not loading. Not sure why as I have tried both my accounts on 2 different computers and it works fine, as well as, from what I know, no one else having that issue.
The abyss causes weird stuff to happen b/c you shouldn't be able to go there. It's blocked off, but since the tileset isn't loading you can get in. I need to go disable the script instead.
Lag is always a little more un UC servers. Our /showlag ping shows me typically around 80's, and others around 50's - 90's, so I'm not too sure about that either.Most likely your client was loading everythibg which would in fact make you lag, and in your case worse because it was having a hard time loading.

Sorry you're going through this but I'm not sure on loading as it works fine for just about everyone else. The files aren't small, so maybe that's why?

Also, this server does require V6 and I'll be putting a code in for that to make sure those reasons are eliminated.

Decus_Arillias
01-07-2013, 04:25 PM
I heard about the tileset not loading. Not sure why as I have tried both my accounts on 2 different computers and it works fine, as well as, from what I know, no one else having that issue.
The abyss causes weird stuff to happen b/c you shouldn't be able to go there. It's blocked off, but since the tileset isn't loading you can get in. I need to go disable the script instead.
Lag is always a little more un UC servers. Our /showlag ping shows me typically around 80's, and others around 50's - 90's, so I'm not too sure about that either.

Sorry you're going through this but I'm not sure on loading as it works fine for just about everyone else. The files aren't small, so maybe that's why?

Also, this server does require V6 and I'll be putting a code in for that to make sure those reasons are eliminated.

Make sure your on V6 also...

I did notice someone was saying they're "sticking" sometimes, it does that for me also only on the level links on the gmap. We're not sure if that's even possible to fix.

smirt362
01-07-2013, 09:11 PM
I was on v6. I should of specified that it was client sputtering, not internet lag. I sat in there for a pretty reasonable amount of time to no avail, everywhere else I went loaded just fine.

Also you can get in there, you just select it from the teleport menu. EDIT: I see what you mean, theres a barrier there. I don't know how I got around it the first time

Some other things:

For cliff sides, instead of having straight 90 degree angles try and curve it a bit, it looks better.
You seem to swim REALLY slowly, do you get fins or something later?
Some of the trees go transparent when you walk into them but still block you from continuing.
Sword gani seems messed up, I just see a bunch of scrambled images when I swing.
When going through doors my screen flashes several times

Oh and your tileset and level design are great. The Events House looks FANTASTIC

Gos_pira
01-07-2013, 10:23 PM
I like what I see, but I've always disliked the need to use the mouse in graal. I want to navigate menus and such with only the keyboard.

Having to switch to mouse for simple tasks when it shouldn't be needed is bad imo.

I get a good Zelda vibe of this, and look forward to see further progress and what questing will be like!

For cliff sides, instead of having straight 90 degree angles try and curve it a bit, it looks better.

Oh and your tileset and level design are great. The Events House looks FANTASTIC

I agree with this.

sssssssssss
01-08-2013, 01:44 AM
I was on v6. I should of specified that it was client sputtering, not internet lag. I sat in there for a pretty reasonable amount of time to no avail, everywhere else I went loaded just fine.

Also you can get in there, you just select it from the teleport menu. EDIT: I see what you mean, theres a barrier there. I don't know how I got around it the first time

Some other things:

You seem to swim REALLY slowly, do you get fins or something later?
Some of the trees go transparent when you walk into them but still block you from continuing.
Sword gani seems messed up, I just see a bunch of scrambled images when I swing.

I'll look in to the client sputter. I've noticed it off an on, but from what it sounds like you were loading at a pretty slow rate (not your fault probably the server) and UC servers are in fact slower from what I understand, so when I was referring to that I was referring to you loading everything. The client speaks with the server for a good chunk of what the player does, including player location. Again though, there are things I've noticed as well and we're trying to find the problem. Most of it is on entering a level (even on gmap), so we're trying to eliminate it.

You do get swim fins later. You should have not gotten far and drown in the water. Also with the sword again it's worked for everyone else as far as I know as well as myself with 2 accounts on 2 different computers (first time log in on each different computer), so the only thing I can guess with all the lag, screen, and image/gani mess ups is it was still loading for you.

Looks like you did in fact get the tileset loaded eventually though and thanks on the compliments. Decus has done all the levels himself and probably 99% of the graphics (we've had help here and there).

Not trying to give excuses. I am and will continue to eliminate any lag on this server and glitches for the scripts (the ping a month ago was a steady 200-260 on almost every player that got on). I'm just giving reasons why you may have had issues, going off your first post as the only one with those issues and most of the ones on your second.

I like what I see, but I've always disliked the need to use the mouse in graal. I want to navigate menus and such with only the keyboard.

Having to switch to mouse for simple tasks when it shouldn't be needed is bad imo.

I get a good Zelda vibe of this, and look forward to see further progress and what questing will be like!

I agree. I'm going to be putting keyboard "controls" into the gui outside of the default (because it's just crappy) so you never have to actually move the mouse, even for things like selecting a weapon, just haven't got that far yet. :)

Thanks for the stuff guys. Keep it coming. We do appreciate the constructive critcism and bug reports, even if they are single events possibly it helps me to keep it in mind and look for issues.

sssssssssss
01-08-2013, 02:43 AM
Also to announce I thiiiiiiiiiiink our spar works now. I'm the only one one lol, so not 100% sure it's bug free, but logic says it works great!

Try it out, let us know!

smirt362
01-08-2013, 03:07 AM
This is what the sword looks like for me. I know this sometimes happens on zod too, though I don't know why

sssssssssss
01-08-2013, 03:13 AM
That's quite odd. We haven't changed the gani slash from the default, so it shouldn't be doing that.

smirt362
01-08-2013, 03:37 AM
I'm good at breaking things

MysticalDragon
01-08-2013, 03:38 AM
Horrible lag, and My laptop has 8 gigs of ram :(, some tiles i cant walk on for unknown reasons. 4/10

sssssssssss
01-08-2013, 04:11 AM
Horrible lag, and My laptop has 8 gigs of ram :(, some tiles i cant walk on for unknown reasons. 4/10

That's because places we dont want you to go are blocked on layers, I believe.

What was the send/receive, or /showlag ping? Just trying to get an idea of what the lag is for most people. I also have 8 gigs and run fine on it. :/

Also the 4/10 is technically a good thing, being we're not even 4/10 done with the server, so thanks!

Decus_Arillias
01-08-2013, 05:14 AM

Not being sarcastic, but i also like the 4/10. We scrapped almost everything we did in the past and really started working on this maybe/around for 2 months now. With the team we have (me and cyril) we would defiantly love to have some help getting us to a 10. :)

callimuc
01-08-2013, 01:14 PM
yea its lagging for me aswell. ill check the ping later.
also when i pressed q only 'menu' appeared on the right, the sub categories were listed aswell but had the size of like 5x5 pixel, so i couldnt really use them. whenever i enter a house, my whole screen suddenly seems to flash - its pretty buggy and takes me a while to enter them (until the warp is working correctly)

sssssssssss
01-08-2013, 01:42 PM
yea its lagging for me aswell. ill check the ping later.
also when i pressed q only 'menu' appeared on the right, the sub categories were listed aswell but had the size of like 5x5 pixel, so i couldnt really use them. whenever i enter a house, my whole screen suddenly seems to flash - its pretty buggy and takes me a while to enter them (until the warp is working correctly)

That lag is almost positively because of stuff loading then, because that's what happened to me when we changed the image. I reconnected and it fixed but I had the rest of it loaded already too. I'm ginna wipe my stuff and start clean tomorrow and try that. It seems the people who were hanging out with me didnt have lag to complain about either (could be wrong though) so again it makes me think its just a ton of crap loading at once (sounds, images, gui profiles, and ganis).

I disabled the level warp for inside/outside because its buggy and will fix today. Thanks.

Gos_pira
01-08-2013, 04:20 PM
The menu also had it's categories tiny after I used that "dash" function on the X-button(?). I think some of the problem is because of the observer mode-bar. Because the focus was off after using it so I had to reconnect for everything on screen to be on the right place.

I know that's not really your fault, but for even trials to enjoy the server you'd need to put those factors in when scripting the systems and such aswell.

Another thing is when entering a house. During the load before the screen-flickering I can walk around wherever I like before getting warped so it seems like it lags behind a great deal. It might just be a script that got messed up somehow.

Tricxta
01-08-2013, 09:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/7WCNb.png

Might I suggest change the graphics mode on the trees when you fade them. At the moment it's probably from what looks like it 0 by default.
Change it to 1 for a nice transparency fade. Seems to only happen with some trees though... You don't use a class?

with(findimg(yourImage)){
mode = 1;
}

sssssssssss
01-09-2013, 01:07 AM
The menu also had it's categories tiny after I used that "dash" function on the X-button(?). I think some of the problem is because of the observer mode-bar. Because the focus was off after using it so I had to reconnect for everything on screen to be on the right place.

I know that's not really your fault, but for even trials to enjoy the server you'd need to put those factors in when scripting the systems and such aswell.

Another thing is when entering a house. During the load before the screen-flickering I can walk around wherever I like before getting warped so it seems like it lags behind a great deal. It might just be a script that got messed up somehow.

I agree on making it work for all accounts. The focus is off because of the screen shaking, it's a bug I'm still trying to correct. Sometimes the dash will "collide" more than once it seems, throwing the event more than its set to do (or just an extra time period) throwing tiles and focus off. The menu thing I'm not exactly sure except that its changing the screen as well.

The warp is lagged because I scripted it that way. It's on an event, because it had a fade out but that bugged as well, so I just left the event there until I fix it but took out the fade. It's going to pause you for a few seconds giving room for a fade that isn't there or corrected yet.

sssssssssss
01-09-2013, 01:09 AM
http://i.imgur.com/7WCNb.png

Might I suggest change the graphics mode on the trees when you fade them. At the moment it's probably from what looks like it 0 by default.
Change it to 1 for a nice transparency fade. Seems to only happen with some trees though... You don't use a class?

with(findimg(yourImage)){
mode = 1;
}

We in fact do use a class. Mode is set to 1. The issue seems to be tree tops and npcs that are on level links. That's why only some work. We're probably just going to take it out all together.

Also reconnecting would load that chat box. I'm gonna script to delay to show up so that doesn't happen. it does in fact have a styled gui it's just loading before the profile can despite my server options to load the profiles first

bioboi
01-09-2013, 02:40 AM
Really enjoyed this server for the short time I was logged on. Will check back up in a few days when I have more time to give a more in depth critique.

DrakilorP2P
01-09-2013, 03:14 PM
This server looks sick. But the windmill is spinning the wrong way; so unrealistic!

xXziroXx
01-09-2013, 04:33 PM
The windmill animation is also way too choppy. Smoothen it out plx.

Decus_Arillias
01-09-2013, 05:41 PM
This server looks sick. But the windmill is spinning the wrong way; so unrealistic!

The windmill animation is also way too choppy. Smoothen it out plx.

I smoothed it out quite a bit a couple days ago. Its using 9 frames instead of 4 now. Check again and let me know ;]

Also i'm going to add some effects to the island surroundings, hopefully that will give off more of a environmental feeling of an actual floating island.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak_sprites_windmill1.png

DeCeaseD
01-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Why would you animate a windmill manually instead of using a rotate script.. ? o_O

smirt362
01-10-2013, 12:15 AM
Why would you animate a windmill manually instead of using a rotate script.. ? o_O

Because it looks better, especially if you have enough frames

DustyPorViva
01-10-2013, 01:05 AM

I can't say for something that needs to rotate as slow as a windmill that frames are the way to go. Even if the pixels aren't crisp, the rotation will be much smoother, which is what something like a windmill needs: it looks much calmer.

xXziroXx
01-10-2013, 01:14 AM

OgCtDNQzUcg

Really now Smirt, really now?

smirt362
01-10-2013, 03:38 AM
OgCtDNQzUcg

Really now Smirt, really now?

I can see the lack of crispiness. If that was a salad I'd SEND IT BACK

Decus_Arillias
01-10-2013, 05:52 AM

I did it manually because i didn't know you could script things to rotate. Yes, i lack scripting skills ;] pretty neat that you can though. We will try to get small details done before we release the next continent, which should be within 2 weeks from now. We're holding back so that all inside levels are complete for the outside content and i'm hoping to have that done "soon".

Sooky
01-13-2013, 10:55 AM
REALLY good server in my opinion, even thought its not even out yet i can see it will go far :)

Crow
01-13-2013, 11:11 AM
I'd like to ask you guys to clean up a bit, in terms of content you shouldn't be using. I see you already got rid of our (Atlantis) grass tile, but it's still left in other tiles, like the path edges (grass to dirt tiles). Also, I wonder where in hell's name you got that bush, but I hope you realize that you can't use it. I'd rather not go into detail, but I will if necessary.

Edit: The door, too. Second and third frame of that double door open animation features our (Atlantis) double door. I'm flattered, but please don't use them.

sssssssssss
01-13-2013, 03:03 PM
I'd like to ask you guys to clean up a bit, in terms of content you shouldn't be using. I see you already got rid of our (Atlantis) grass tile, but it's still left in other tiles, like the path edges (grass to dirt tiles). Also, I wonder where in hell's name you got that bush, but I hope you realize that you can't use it. I'd rather not go into detail, but I will if necessary.

Edit: The door, too. Second and third frame of that double door open animation features our (Atlantis) double door. I'm flattered, but please don't use them.

I can't speak for any of it but the last one. That door I took from an image and editted a straight closed door myself about 3-4 years ago. And I'm being serious.

The other stuff may very well be. I have to get with Decus I'm not sure to be honest, but the door for sure I editted myself from a straight closed door image we made a long long time ago. I in fact, absolutely, did not steal those frames, because, to be clear again, I made them myself. I thought they were pretty crappy and was hoping they'd get replaced to be honest...

Crow
01-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Hm, maybe they just looked the same. Didn't look into the door too much. Check out the church door in at_tiles.png though.

sssssssssss
01-13-2013, 03:11 PM
They are quite similiar, but I can actually promise on all I've made so far I did that gani and the open image parts from a closed image myself.

I do appreciate the stuff on release for atlantis though (scripting-wise) as it has saved me quite a bit of time (and dusty's). :)

I also know we did some dumb stuff in the past. We've been trying to clean it up and really now that I'm not a drunk all the time it's a bit embarassing that I would blatantly say stuff wasn't taken when I honestly didn't really know most of the time (I rarely touch images). We are in fact trying to clean up all that crap out of our stuff though, just missed it I guess.

Crow
01-13-2013, 03:47 PM
No offense taken. I like Roak's direction. Keep up the nice work.

Decus_Arillias
01-13-2013, 05:05 PM

we've been cleaning up for the past 2 months, almost everything has been redone. almost. we're getting there. We had a horrible run with staff, as far as content goes, on our last run.

Btw the bush, its from Angelus Zelda tiles.

Crow
01-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Btw the bush, its from Angelus Zelda tiles.

Yea, I know. Did he ever agree for them to be used elsewhere?

Decus_Arillias
01-13-2013, 05:50 PM

Yea, I know. Did he ever agree for them to be used elsewhere?

We're aware of that. I was letting you know, we know.

Everything listed here, i just took care of. Thank you for pointing these out, because some of the tiles, like the dirt trim, was overlooked.

sssssssssss
01-14-2013, 04:46 AM
I'm sorry to say to the Roak "fans" that I (and Decus) will not be continuing to make Roak any longer. We want to move on to better things (as most developers that have been doing this a while) like our own games and such instead of rushing to finish a server, that we paid for, in a certain amount of time to probably not play it too long after it's released. The cost isn't worth it, and it's really a waste of time.

I do want to thank the community and it's support and help for the people who did so. Some of you guys have been there for us, especially and mostly me, when we really needed you. I want to give a HUGE shout out to Deas. He is the most awesome staff person we've had, by far the most active (he lasted this entire time, not just a week or month like most, and has been there every time we've done this), and is simply a nice, helpful person. We've been greatful to have your help bud.

I'm releasing the code on our server. A few to note:
-System/ChatBox; It's done and pretty awesome. It has an auto fade and shows up messages per category. It mas mass, tell to player, guild message (even toguild:), and system message, and it works pretty well. There is also a link for each player that uses it on their account name to bring up a custom profile (you could change it to default easily). The only issue I know of is bringing up the profile HAS to be the exact account name, and it's not always showing up that way (upper/lowercase). Easy to fix.

-System/NPCDialog and -System/QuestTracker; Using fowlplays movement script serverside for npcs, they move, stop, you can have text, and it very confusingly can add quests, and give the prize. Quests MUST be set up in sql for it to work and you have to notice the correlation (rowid and name are primarily used). It's not bug free because I just finished it yesterday, but it works so far. Can have 1 quest per npc, 1 prize for the quest, and regular chat with no quest, or to set after the quest is complete as well. Completed quests do not show up in the gui like active ones. I never got around to that.
If you use this out of the box so to speak you will also need items set up like the weapon "Item/Red Gem".

-Theres a war system that uses a weapon, npcdb, and class. It's pretty cool and I honestly can't remember if fowlplay or mallard made it for us, but it was one of them.

-System/Mailbox; Originally made by switch. I editted it to where you can send/receive items and rupees

-System/Movement; It has dash, run, sword charge/swing like lttp, and swimming with underwater. What more do you need? :)

Those are my most prized codes, mostly done by me except what is said above. There is a lot of other stuff like boomerang, hookshot (wasn't finished with images and the chain), ect. Hopefully this helps someone who wants it. I've also included all our ganis as some of the movement and other scripts require ganis with the code in them.

I do want to say one thing before I go. Please note, I am not talking about all of you and I'm not defending what I defended in the past years, but at the same time remember you guys are a community. One of the reasons I'm stopping is some people in this community. While server sharing and such is frowned upon by anyone including myself, a few things here or there, especially small things, shouldn't be such a big deal. In the whole of things, Graal owns everything uploaded, not Roak, not Classic, not any server. I'm not saying everyone should be able to use everything but small and stupid things is ridiculous. Be a community and encourage people, give TRUE constructive criticism, and use forum PMs for stuff that is along the lines on accusations for goodness sake. There is a huge difference between being genuinely concerned about things wrong on a server and complaining publicly about stuff. This is a rough community for such a small group sometimes, don't be so uninviting. Again I'm not necessarily talking about everyone and I'm not pinpointing things on recent events necessarily, except a little, and many previous things. By the way, many community leaders have extremely close things to lttp on their tilesets. I'm such a nice guy I won't embarass you two or three, but it's definitely not the people you'd think. If you compare the images, they are extremely close, closer than some we've been accused of.

Anyways, here is my stuff. Most of it works. Have fun.

Decus_Arillias
01-14-2013, 04:56 AM
We're also releasing the images we have. I didn't feel like finishing this compile of images, so here it is. We have much more if you log on Roak, all images, i'm releasing to the graal community.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/iwantabearealboy/roak-compile1-1.png

smirt362
01-14-2013, 06:53 AM
Well that sucks, I was looking forward to the server

Crow
01-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Meh.

Gos_pira
01-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Sorry to hear this, but I can't say I blame you (especially with Graal in its current state). Good luck in future projects!

ff7chocoboknight
01-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Lol

Draenin
01-15-2013, 01:16 AM
Damn. That's unfortunate. :[

Hiro
01-15-2013, 04:05 AM
rekt

get ****ed

SDE SON

dbug
01-15-2013, 03:16 PM
rip roak, what a potential server you were.. we all will miss u

mewtoo18
01-16-2013, 02:54 AM
such a great server.. thank you for sharing with us.. im sure alot of people will benefit from this

FaLLChiLD
01-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Jigga would be creaming his pants.

sssssssssss
01-22-2013, 01:06 AM
Some things I wanted to add as well that we were going to work on (partly because it was our idea on some of it, some not and instead an expansion of ideas) were:

-Guild towers. Make more spiffs besides a shortcut to the "flag" to control. Make arrow shooters, it's lame but most guilds are. Ends up being fun. Also, make a guild tower by every "town", and whatever guild controls that town will upload a generic flag with the guild name or a user uploaded flag from the leaders around the tower and the town.

-Guild houses. They should be able to be taken over just like guild towers. Something else for guilds to do, because graal is incredibly boring.

-Our war system allows and guild to start a war at any time and be warped with a alert when other members get on to be warped into the war room (requires confirmation of a "guild" leader registered on the guild system for the server. This was going to be worked out and removed to read the ranks in the global guilds. This would eliminate the guild system on almost any server completely, allow global guilds to just be there, and read the ranks in-game. I always hoped at one point I would make a in-game guild cp, but that was going to be the last thing I was going to try to do).

-Guild events, such as last man standing, tournaments, random wars, ect. All server sponsered so to speak in the events system.

-Better server events such as jousting, mini games like tetris tournaments, and speed fishing.

Just some ideas I might as well let out there too we were going to do. I do miss doing this on Graal, but honestly it's a waste of my life at this point making stuff for free like this. We are in fact moving on to better things and once things get going I might sneak in something like a little preview lol. :D

Good luck to all you developers out there. I'd advise to do Graal development, especially if you are just starting. Gives you a good grip on how to handle things, develop, and be a part of a team if you have one. I would also advise to move on after you've reached a "limit" so to speak, and expand forward on to better things if you reach that goal.

P.S.
Yes, I'm still around on here every now and then so if you have any questions on something released from Roak shoot me a forum PM and eventually I will get to it. If you have questions beyond that, forum PM me as well. I'm not the best scripter in this community that's obvious, but I can help a little if needed.

Deas_Voice
01-27-2013, 06:13 PM
I'm sorry to say to the Roak "fans" that I (and Decus) will not be continuing to make Roak any longer. We want to move on to better things (as most developers that have been doing this a while) like our own games and such instead of rushing to finish a server, that we paid for, in a certain amount of time to probably not play it too long after it's released. The cost isn't worth it, and it's really a waste of time.

I do want to thank the community and it's support and help for the people who did so. Some of you guys have been there for us, especially and mostly me, when we really needed you. I want to give a HUGE shout out to Deas. He is the most awesome staff person we've had, by far the most active (he lasted this entire time, not just a week or month like most, and has been there every time we've done this), and is simply a nice, helpful person. We've been greatful to have your help bud.(...)

(...)I do want to say one thing before I go. Please note, I am not talking about all of you and I'm not defending what I defended in the past years, but at the same time remember you guys are a community. One of the reasons I'm stopping is some people in this community. While server sharing and such is frowned upon by anyone including myself, a few things here or there, especially small things, shouldn't be such a big deal. In the whole of things, Graal owns everything uploaded, not Roak, not Classic, not any server. I'm not saying everyone should be able to use everything but small and stupid things is ridiculous. Be a community and encourage people, give TRUE constructive criticism, and use forum PMs for stuff that is along the lines on accusations for goodness sake. There is a huge difference between being genuinely concerned about things wrong on a server and complaining publicly about stuff. This is a rough community for such a small group sometimes, don't be so uninviting. Again I'm not necessarily talking about everyone and I'm not pinpointing things on recent events necessarily, except a little, and many previous things. By the way, many community leaders have extremely close things to lttp on their tilesets. I'm such a nice guy I won't embarass you two or three, but it's definitely not the people you'd think. If you compare the images, they are extremely close, closer than some we've been accused of.

Anyways, here is my stuff. Most of it works. Have fun.

Hi, thanks for the shoutout, i'm glad i could help out, too bad you guys decided to shut the project down (again). Is there anyway i can contact either one of you, such as skype? i would love to help out with whatever project your going to be working on in the future (even outside graal)!

edit: i wouldn't call it waste of time thought, you did learn plenty of how you make a game, with that experience, you can take it elsewhere and apply it to your life.

sssssssssss
01-27-2013, 10:11 PM
I agree. I just think continuing is beginning to waste time. :) Graal has definitely helped and taught me a lot, in the last few months especially. I'll forum pm you my email, it's all I really use right now. Working on a system online though too that should help out.

sssssssssss
08-13-2013, 06:31 PM
I am only posting this in case anyone decided to use some of the scripts. They're still released obviously and I hoped people learned from them but I am slowly, and I mean slowly, picking the project back up and will be using them on our server.

I want to finish a project for once. I have plenty of other priorities to worry aboit in feont of this so don't expect tons of updates like before or anything but one day this server will be done.

sssssssssss
08-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Just an update on our status. As many of you have noticed we have started up again. We're going through ALL of our stuff (systems, levels, etc), redoing what is needed to be redone, and continuing to push forward.

We will not be releasing any systems that have been completed or any screenshots/videos until the server is completely playable and near ready for hosted status. The server is locked and will stay that way as well until we are ready for near hosted status. Only staff is allowed on the server, and as of right now we are not looking to hire any more than what we have.

I'm hopeful that people are still looking forward to Roak. I know our projects have been dropped and picked up twice now, but third time's the charm right? Lol. This time, all the Roak fans will get a chance to play on a completed server soon enough. Stay tuned, as I will post a % completion as we pass milestones in our development on Roak.

DrakilorP2P
08-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Just an update on our status. As many of you have noticed we have started up again. We're going through ALL of our stuff (systems, levels, etc), redoing what is needed to be redone, and continuing to push forward.

We will not be releasing any systems that have been completed or any screenshots/videos until the server is completely playable and near ready for hosted status. The server is locked and will stay that way as well until we are ready for near hosted status. Only staff is allowed on the server, and as of right now we are not looking to hire any more than what we have.

I'm hopeful that people are still looking forward to Roak. I know our projects have been dropped and picked up twice now, but third time's the charm right? Lol. This time, all the Roak fans will get a chance to play on a completed server soon enough. Stay tuned, as I will post a % completion as we pass milestones in our development on Roak.

Good luck dude.

Elk
08-20-2013, 04:41 AM
Good luck dude.

going along with this :)

sssssssssss
08-22-2013, 02:47 AM
ty for the good lucks. I lied, we'll be posting updates, what kind of server would that be to not let yall know? Dummy me.

So we are redoing the tileset and levels. Our stuff was ok, but now it's better. The main town is started and should be done pretty soon.

I've redone some of the movement system, adding in extra things. This I'd rather not say what is changed on until it's done, but it will be pretty awesome for a classic server. All the ganis are being redone. They're choppy and some are just plain crappy. Fixing bugs as well like the screen shake and dash/run that we had, so it more smooth than before and feels more like a transition from walking instead of just a switch in movement.

Our first milestone is on all movement and player actions, and I'd say it's about 40% done at this point. Once it's complete and the main town levels are done, I'll post a video of all of our first milestone being complete so you guys can see what its like kind of.

We're picking up where we left off pretty much. Decus is a level generator himself, so that will go pretty quick and smooth.

Our vision of the server is still mostly the same. We want all classic-style server aspects ready for anyone to use right off the bat (the main town includes just about every shop, spars, pk areas, and warps to some of the guild stuff). We are still focusing heavily on guilds as well, but this stuff doesn't get started or redone until our second, gigantic milestone for "Player Interactions/uses with NPCs & Other Players (systems)". Can't wait to show you all what has gone on, and the updates since we last left this project that no one got to see as well. Stay tuned!

sssssssssss
09-03-2013, 12:13 AM
Our movement sys is almost complete. I expect (not promise) that it will be completed and refined in a week (end of next Sunday). This includes drops and interactions for the player that directly relate to the movement as well.

From there I'll be moving on to our old skills and redoing them (or refining) so they are smoother and work better. From there we get to start up on systems again, starting with the basics like spar/pk.

I'd imagine within the next 2-3 weeks we should have an almost playable island again. Once everything in terms of levels on the island, and anything that you could do in terms of coding that pertains to basics are done we'll decide if we are going to continue working on the server closed or open it up. At this point screenshots and a video will be posted here at minimum.

sssssssssss
09-20-2013, 05:40 PM
It's been a little while since I've sent an update. I've had to rethink a few things with movement, so it took a bit longer than expected. I'm working on fixing a few bugs, add in a few necessities like push/pull, and trying to decide if climbing is really worth it for our server and it will be complete. From there I'll be redoing the UI scripts, as well as adding in the new images, and adding in all other new UI features like our map, the menus, and such.

I'm going to stop posting in this thread, as we will, more than likely, open a new thread for "Roak 2.0" or something, since so many changes have taken place since our first post in this thread. I'd rather have the new features and look represented correctly without having to scroll through 10 pages of old stuff to find it, so this will be the last update in this thread. Stay tuned for new screenshots and vids for the updated Roak soon!

Matt
09-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Sounds grand. ^^