PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial - Composing sounds

Emera
10-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Made another tutorial on the forums. It is a guide to creating music and sound effects. It includes what I do and even answers the dreaded question, "What program do you use" Come and take a look (http://www.graal.net/index.php/Creation/Audio).

callimuc
10-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Very nice.

Emera
10-07-2011, 12:27 AM
Very nice.

Thank you :)

Under the downloads paragraph, you can now find a link to more information on ACID Pro 7, which is, in my opinion, worth the pricey fee.

Gunderak
10-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Or just download it....

Gunderak
10-13-2011, 07:32 AM
@Whoever neg repped me with "Twat" LOL Get into the 21St century!

Emera
10-13-2011, 05:54 PM
@Whoever neg repped me with "Twat" LOL Get into the 21St century!

Yeah man, wasting your rep points.

Unkownsoldier
10-21-2011, 11:49 PM
Warning
Don't try and edit other peoples music, either from the internet or a CD. It can really get you into trouble. Keep everything self made! (Although, that isn't saying you can't try and replicate a piece of music and change it slightly, as long as everything is yours!)

I do not agree with this.

Tricxta
10-22-2011, 12:58 AM
Wow, can't beleive I missed this thread first off, thanks Emera, that sfxr program is a pretty fun yet neat tool. I'll have to try to remember to +rep when I'm able to.

Emera
10-23-2011, 06:38 PM
Wow, can't beleive I missed this thread first off, thanks Emera, that sfxr program is a pretty fun yet neat tool. I'll have to try to remember to +rep when I'm able to.

No problem. Thanks :D

_Zelph
10-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Your tutorial is a little off in my opinion

-You tell people to Google what composing is. That's not helpful. You should at least say what it is in general terms so people don't come away thinking that mixing a few sounds, taking music, etc. is the same thing (Which many people do)

-You tell people that there are a lot of great programs for music composition and sound synthesis and don't mention what they are.

-SFXR is a chincy standalone synthesizer that, in lots of cases, probably won't create the type of sounds a person wants. On top of that, the process of having to render and export/import separate audio files is tedious and is circumvented entirely in countless other tools (i.e. programs that have their own in-house synths or ones that can host VSTs)

-Sibelius? That's great for doing what it does (Creating sheet music, orchestral scores) but if your end product is going to be a rendered audio file for playback, the whole sheet music thing (and additional import/export step) has very little benefit. Especially when programs you're already using (Like ACID) already have sequencers. It might only help if somebody is only familiar reading sheet music, but for new people it implies that being great at reading sheet music is required, which it's not. If you're using Sibelius because it has sound libraries, that's a different thing that could have its own tutorial.

-Like I mentioned earlier, your workflow is really punishing. It looks like if you want to change a single note, you have to go back and re-render a whole bunch of crap. Not to mention that once you have that render, you're stuck with only being able tack effects on to the whole track (Unless you render out each one separately. Again, tedious).

-The bulleted steps in your tutorial are overly obtuse. One of your steps is literally "Create the music". People can usually come away with some sort of finished product after a tutorial, but they won't in this one. Also, since this tutorial is geared towards beginners, you might want to be more clear on what roles each of your tools is playing, and even what some of the terms you're using mean.

Just my first impressions, anyway