PDA

View Full Version : "Lobbies" the server

Hiro
09-10-2011, 11:22 PM
i want to pitch this idea to you guys. the basic premise, which is what i think a new PC server needs, is to be simplistic. the focus will be sparring and PKing for global guilds, and private lobbies (or group lobbies) for people to sit around and chill in.

i feel like what is left of classic graal is people sitting around talking to one another, and playing events. seeing as there is only UN left on the active tab, i think there needs to be a new classic server to improve on the areas that UN has notoriously never changed in the past: their sparring and PKing. we have had the new TC spar for quite some time, and it has never been changed or adapted to what has happened to sparring. TCPK has been the same one-level 3 heart room for as long as i can remember, and people don't typically give it much use. the only thing left for UN is events, and i think that's fine.

i picture lobbies as being a server where you log on, and are placed in an individual lobby. each lobby will just be a simple level with chairs or some ****. players can exit lobbies and then automatically travel to another by clicking a new one on a big list.

lobbies such as sparring or PKing would be at the top of the list. then, a list of each other player who is online would have a lobby. guilds could have personal lobbies. i think you see where i'm taking this.

and that is all the server would be. do you think it would work?

fowlplay4
09-10-2011, 11:27 PM
No.

ffcmike
09-10-2011, 11:40 PM
You could have saved yourself a lot of typing by just saying "Kinda like UN but not too much like UN" as has been seen in countless "new server" threads.

NicoX
09-10-2011, 11:44 PM
No.

Same

Crono
09-10-2011, 11:56 PM
There was a server like this, no one played.

Also just log on UN.

fowlplay4
09-10-2011, 11:59 PM
A 'Skip all full-hearts, sword, and shields quests' (Don't a majority rely on a guide to do them anyway?) option and dynamic player and guild houses on UN could completely deprecate your lobbies idea.

racycle
09-11-2011, 02:00 AM
The hole lobby concept reminds me a lot of phantasy star universe (xbox 1 / live only).

Stephen
09-11-2011, 03:06 AM
I like a lobby idea, but I'd suggest limiting it entirely to IRC mode with messaging limitations (every 30 seconds or so) so that players are encouraged to move to servers. It'd be a good place to display rankings / achievements as well as news.

Galdor
09-11-2011, 03:48 AM
the focus will be sparring and PKing for global guilds, and private lobbies (or group lobbies) for people to sit around and chill in.

That has to be the most boring server idea I've ever heard.

furry_mougle
09-11-2011, 04:21 AM
The playerbase for Graal isn't even at a point yet where we have enough players to 'idle' in lobbies.

papajchris
09-11-2011, 07:16 AM
UN would lose its playercount bro

Elk
09-11-2011, 09:08 AM
I miss the times where players could have their own houses on the gmap... that should be made possible again... and encourage them to start developing with that way... I remember being all happy for having a house yeaaars ago... and whenever I build a new one I had it replaced by a LAT...

Arch_Angel
09-11-2011, 10:34 AM
cool story^

Supaman771
09-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Rather play habbo.
HAHA

But no really, there's more people in one room of Habbo than on Graal PC...
Must've done something right.

Elk
09-11-2011, 06:31 PM
No, mustve done something DIFFERENT... you can't compare Habbo with Graal.

Stephen
09-11-2011, 08:02 PM
No, mustve done something DIFFERENT... you can't compare Habbo with Graal.
Isn't Habbo free with an effective in game market?

Zing.

ffcmike
09-12-2011, 12:07 AM
I miss the times where players could have their own houses on the gmap... that should be made possible again... and encourage them to start developing with that way... I remember being all happy for having a house yeaaars ago... and whenever I build a new one I had it replaced by a LAT...

The problem is that a much smaller percentage of players are comfortable with what are the modern scripting practises compared to back then. Not only this but different servers are built with different systems which ought to be adhered to. Even with a fully built-in systems server where submitted scripts might work at first there can still be the problem of a house script contradicting one of the servers scripts, or being completely wrong should a server implement a new system later on.

What we tend to see now is the ability to either use fixed design house insides or upload the mere tiles of a level, combined with the ability to drop pre-defined scripts perhaps with a little freedom for modification.
This causes houses to be less diverse/unique which to an extent reduces the novelty of having a house, which is probably part ownership part having designed it, albeit most were still fairly similar when house uploading was common place.

In terms of having designated members of staff to handle such a thing as trawling through house submissions and fixing things up, assuming these would be staff with the coding knowledge to ensure it's all done decently, and could also be working on new content, this is somewhat of an unaffordable luxury in the event of a server otherwise having not much things for players to do.

For me the ideal thing to do would be for a server to provide basic implentation instructions with extensive documentation for a list of intended usable classes. It would probably take a lot of work to put together at first but could make the reviewing of submissions less time consuming, while allowing more freedom of design.

snoop413
09-19-2011, 07:52 AM

you sound like a very boring person.

ffcmike
09-19-2011, 11:00 AM
you sound like a very boring person.

My post may hardly be a message to yield excitement but it's the reality of playerhouses in the modern day of Graal. Perhaps that could change with the powers that be having achknowledged that development tools are out of date, though I'm pretty sure they share the same concerns as to whether development is handled in a chaotic manner or with a careful methodical approach.