PDA

View Full Version : Another Graal 3D Thread

Kiwi27
08-13-2011, 01:32 AM
Hey all,

Graal 3D is a topic brought up a lot right now, and one with jumps out to me: Perspective.

3D is, well, 3D. It has different angles (at least the type of 3D Graal Images people have been making are). It seems to me it would have to be sort of Minecraft style, or maybe the style of one of the Sims games where you actually walk around for it to work.

Wouldn't it be sort of hard to script a system such as that?

(I really don't know how to explain this)

For that reason, wouldn't it be easier to make a different game? Not a server. A completely different online multiplayer game still owned by GraalOnline, just not on it's usual Client.

With usage of a program like Blender or Unity, a awesome 3D game could be made. And then when 3D computers come around... It would be awesome.

So, erm, I hope you understood what I meant above XD.

Just a thought...

xXziroXx
08-13-2011, 01:48 AM
Graal 3D was an old project that's no longer around. All other current threads about it is either troll threads or a remnants from the past.

Crono
08-13-2011, 01:48 AM
graal 3d should have been graal in its current perspective but in 3d

the gameplay could have been made as close to the 2d as possible to make it a viable "step up" from the normal graal and minor features like diving in the water and jumping could have added a lot of depth.

but yeah, like ziro said, thing of the past.

Crow
08-13-2011, 01:52 AM
thing of the past.

Let's create a Link to the Past, then!

Kiwi27
08-13-2011, 01:58 AM
Meh. Doesn't matter - this thread has been posted. So, let us hop into our time machine, and go back in time.

Now whatdya think? xd

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-t7Y3ou29Mcs/TY-F-5j4thI/AAAAAAAABIg/NlbqS6MnpRA/s320/back_to_the_future_part_ii_large_01.jpg

ffcmike
08-13-2011, 02:11 AM
As much as I'd like to have seen a 3D Graal the Adventure, I get the feeling this was always doomed simply because Graal is a player made game, and that development credentials for this may possibly be far too elite for a team of volunteers to be viable.

Crono
08-13-2011, 02:15 AM
As much as I'd like to have seen a 3D Graal the Adventure, I get the feeling this was always doomed simply because Graal is a player made game, and that development credentials for this may possibly be far too elite for a team of volunteers to be viable.

a 3D level editor would have been golden, something that would have worked like our current one but 3D...the possibilities x.x. it wouldn't have to be complicated either. pre-defined objects, treate things like tiles, etc.

DustyPorViva
08-13-2011, 03:32 AM
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1661921&postcount=203

If you haven't played Spiral Knights, it's designed like... exactly like Graal should have been designed.

Funny thing is, the graphics are in 3D, but the game is designed in a tile-based manner(and movement is even coded as such). I imagine they probably have a swift level editor to handle that too... would love to play with it!

xXziroXx
08-13-2011, 03:59 AM
Meh. Doesn't matter - this thread has been posted. So, let us hop into our time machine, and go back in time.

Now whatdya think? xd

No one wants to go back to the crap known as Graal 3D. There was nothing positive about it at all. I'm not sure why some people have started glorifying it as of late.

haro41
08-13-2011, 04:36 AM
they are referring to the idea of a 3d classic graal. first person view wouldn't work. But the same perspective as classic graal, with 3 dimensional graphics.

Spiral Knights is a good example of what graal 3d could be. Also Fat Princess had a good design and gameplay. They even had interchangeable hats! That's graal all the way

Galdor
08-13-2011, 11:16 AM
No one wants to go back to the crap known as Graal 3D. There was nothing positive about it at all. I'm not sure why some people have started glorifying it as of late.

Uhh just because the server itself was as bad as maloria, doesn't make 3d bad.

Pimmeh
08-13-2011, 11:39 AM
The thing about 3D was that Stefan didn't know what he wanted with it. Or at least... That was the impression I always got. The community members he hired started firing ideas around, but I don't think we ever thought of a clear direction.

joel34
08-13-2011, 12:21 PM
I actually remember throwing snow at snowmans.

Fulg0reSama
08-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Uhh just because the server itself was as bad as maloria, doesn't make 3d bad.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/9665/burnsauce.gif

Rave_J
08-13-2011, 02:14 PM
well Stefan said this before
he said Graal 3d was never offical it was just a learning exp that he wanted to do
with a 2d and 3d on the same platform

so pretty much its not coming back

i think the best thing he should do is add a function
and make 3d objects work on graal like buildings show angles. but main concern is he would have to script a camera view so u can roatate the cam.
when the camera roatation idea that should be enable due it will make graal servers more interesting if they can change cam view
to another view

Elk
08-13-2011, 04:50 PM
3D objects already work in Graal...

ThomV
08-13-2011, 05:11 PM
My brother made a video about it four years ago:
iFOVQ6UCIx4

Not sure if it's still supported.

Crow
08-13-2011, 05:32 PM
I don't think it still is.

Galdor
08-14-2011, 12:10 AM
Here is a preview of the animals we are making for Graal3d, click on the preview to see the animation.

Some of this animals will be tameable and you will be able to ride them.

excited? :p

Chompy
08-15-2011, 05:50 PM

Nothing positive about it at all? Did you ever try developing with the engine at all?

xXziroXx
08-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Nothing positive about it at all? Did you ever try developing with the engine at all?

I didn't, no, but I don't see why anyone would want to play a 3D server on Graal when there's so much better engines out there. Graal has it's charm because it's 2D.

Galdor
08-15-2011, 08:12 PM
I didn't, no, but I don't see why anyone would want to play a 3D server on Graal when there's so much better engines out there. Graal has it's charm because it's 2D.

Personally I wouldn't mind having some more creative freedom, why would anyone want to play a 3d server on graal? same reason as someone would play a 2d server on graal.
And I don't think you necessarily need the best 3d engine to make a good game, I enjoy 3d games on the DS.

Fulg0reSama
08-15-2011, 09:16 PM
excited? :p

I jizz'd.

Galdor
08-15-2011, 09:23 PM
I jizz'd.
:p

btw omg someone in this thread will bite the dust
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/6208/omgfku.jpg

salesman
08-15-2011, 10:35 PM
snitches get stitches

Galdor
08-15-2011, 10:39 PM
watch and learn salesman this is how drama is created :)

Crono
08-15-2011, 10:39 PM
nah i clicked back, i think

xAndrewx
08-15-2011, 11:33 PM
ha

Devil_Lord2
08-16-2011, 02:58 AM
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1661921&postcount=203

If you haven't played Spiral Knights, it's designed like... exactly like Graal should have been designed.

Funny thing is, the graphics are in 3D, but the game is designed in a tile-based manner(and movement is even coded as such). I imagine they probably have a swift level editor to handle that too... would love to play with it!

I guess I wouldn't know much, but I love Spiral Knights, however I don't see the resemblance between it and Graal :x

DustyPorViva
08-16-2011, 04:17 AM
I guess I wouldn't know much, but I love Spiral Knights, however I don't see the resemblance between it and Graal :x
Graphics I feel represent Graal insanely well. Proportions, level designs and such are all reminiscent of Zelda, and thus, Graal. Combat in its most primitive form is just swordplay... again, like Graal. The only difference, which in my opinion is minor, is the dungeon format. In fact, I think adding Spiral Knights format to Graal would benefit it. It's a lot like Zelda Four Swords but without much puzzle play. It would be the perfect addition to Graal, and would compliment its online atmosphere, which Zelda-like dungeons don't really fit very well into.