PDA

View Full Version : Ol' West Returns, Hiring

Tigairius
07-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Overview

Most of you are familiar, at least of its legacy, with Ol' West. Ol' West is GraalOnline's first and only large-scale western shooter server. I have been asked to begin working on it again, and now we are looking for development help to bring Ol' West to the forefront of Graal.

For those of you who are not familiar with Ol' West, I posted a preview several years ago when it was still in development:
72dXmsWkySY

Finer details about the project will be revealed later.

What Positions Are Available (in order of importance, subject to change as project nears completion)

Advanced LEVEL DESIGNERS capable of being creative and developing unique ideas and solutions for common problems that any level designer might encounter. This is not to say that you cannot ask other members of the team for help.
GRAPHIC ARTIST willing to create aesthetic graphics (bushes, potted plants, possibly houses, tiles, etc).
SCRIPTERS applying must be able to create things extremely efficiently while still maintaining pleasant composure on the product. Must be willing to accept advice in order to improve yourself.

We will be collaborating and communicating via AIM, email and google docs.

Requirements

Positive, respectable attitude. Poor attitudes are nonconstructive and unhealthy for the entire team and will not be tolerated at all.
AIM/ICQ, email, and a google account.
Must not share a computer with anyone else on Graal.
Willingness to work even if your ideas are rejected.
Ability to not share work and ideas outside of the team via screenshot, logs, and any other methods. The term "work" includes, but is not limited to our confidential plans, unreleased graphics, levels, and anything else which could be considered in any way property of the Ol' West project.

Payments and Compensation

Aside from working with the latest technologies in Graal, you may be compensated (depending on your work ethic) with gelats, promised staff position upon release, working with an organized goal-oriented team, résumé material, access to Ol' West, and even more.

Application Process

Levels Artists
A level artist must submit 1 inside level, 1 outside level (using any tileset, preferably pics1.png), and 5 other of their favorite levels they've made (any tileset). The inside and outside level must go into a folder called "application" and the other 5 levels must go in a folder called "extra". Place both folders into a zip file. Name the zip file <your account name>.zip - if you don't have an account, please make one at www.graalonline.com.

Graphics Artists
Submit a portfolio with some of your work in docx or pdf format. Name it <your account name>.docx or pdf.

Scripters
Send 2 examples of what you believe to be your best work and explain how it works. Explain why it's better than what is already available to the community, and how it is efficient. Please discuss any challenges you faced while completing the examples. Name the example files <your account name>1.txt and <your account name>2.txt

Submit applications to [email protected] with the subject of "Ol' West: <Desired Position>". Please also submit your portfolio and/or a brief overview of your experience.
If we are interested, we will contact you back for a followup.

Best of luck to anyone who applies.

Postscript:
Graal Kingdoms and Kingdoms iPhone are still very much in development and are not being abandoned. The staff teams on all projects are separate and each team is working diligently to provide updates.

oo_jazz_oo
07-03-2011, 09:56 PM
May I inquire as to why this server is being revived? That last time this happened, it sat on the hosted tab for months, then was abandoned.

Not bashing, just wondering why effort is being put here instead of elsewhere on Graal.

Tigairius
07-03-2011, 09:57 PM
May I inquire as to why this server is being revived? That last time this happened, it sat on the hosted tab for months, then was abandoned.

Not bashing, just wondering why effort is being put here instead of elsewhere on Graal.

Stefan and unixmad would like to see it succeed, as would I. We are not preparing Ol' West for PC alone this time, but for multiple platforms instead.

patrickp2p
07-03-2011, 10:38 PM
OMG! So many great upcoming servers! I remember this definetly! <3 I hope it works out. :)

BigBear3
07-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Wicked cool.

Sp_lit
07-05-2011, 01:47 AM
I think this is great news and I wish you the best of luck with all the work!

Just wondering; about how many level artists will you be hiring?

Tigairius
07-05-2011, 01:57 AM
I think this is great news and I wish you the best of luck with all the work!

Just wondering; about how many level artists will you be hiring?

We are only hiring about three, but that could change for exceptional applicants.

Seeya
07-05-2011, 02:16 AM
Really glad to see this.

Supaman771
07-05-2011, 02:41 AM
Best server ever.

Really glad to see this.
You remember.. :cool:

Gonna take some time to make a application later this week; can't wait for Ol' West to come back!
Era updates, now this..
So excited!

:D:D:D

papajchris
07-05-2011, 03:25 AM
Im not sure if people would want to put graal on a resume, nonetheless, i loved this server when i saw it so long ago

LordSquirt
07-05-2011, 05:11 AM
is my bff chris vimes working here?

ps:will there be a cat gang/mafia of any kind?

Tigairius
07-05-2011, 05:16 AM
is my bff chris vimes working here?

ps:will there be a cat gang/mafia of any kind?

Chris helps intermittently, but is not a full staff member at this time.

ps: I hadn't planned on it, but maybe I'll make one called The Aristocats.

Cloven
07-05-2011, 05:46 AM
http://movie.zing.vn/Movie/resources/images/phim-dien-anh/1851/wallpaper/source/the-aristocats-42062.jpg

Supaman771
07-05-2011, 06:26 AM
pic

Best.
Movie.
Ever.

Hiro
07-05-2011, 08:57 AM
disappointing. i say you focus your efforts on projects already started

DuBsTeRmAn
07-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Was about time :D

JesusFreak250
07-05-2011, 04:04 PM
This is going too be awsome!

fowlplay4
07-05-2011, 04:36 PM
That video could of been a minute shorter, done without the cheesy sepia filter and rickety camera movement that makes the video look choppy as hell.

Anyway gl.

JesusFreak250
07-05-2011, 05:31 PM
That video could of been a minute shorter, done without the cheesy sepia filter and rickety camera movement that makes the video look choppy as hell.

Anyway gl.

I think it gives it an a lot better effect, without it it wouldn't look as western.

LordSquirt
07-06-2011, 04:06 AM
haha tig what a great name :p

Jimbo33
07-06-2011, 06:33 AM
Nice! I liked that server back then :P

Sp_lit
07-06-2011, 11:45 AM

Anyway gl.

It's a few hundred years old, hence the low quality. Remember; HD was not yet invented at this point and they probably did not have a sturdy camera tripod

MattKan
07-06-2011, 06:05 PM
I read on the wiki that this server is planned for multiple platforms...

You mean this will be the first server that is playable on both PC and iPhone or what?

Chelterrar
07-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Sounds great, already started with the application :P
I hope i get accepted! :D

JesusFreak250
07-06-2011, 07:53 PM
good luck Chelt!

Rave_J
07-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Tig did u go full time and got paid?
like how would u have time to do this
Ur PWA Admin
Account Admin
Manager of Graal Kingdoms
u working on a project call Kingdom Iphone
and prob working with Stefan and unximad with Facebook and maybe answering iphone customer service tickets for them too idk about this part but its a good chance u do
now u want to work on Ol'West while u do all that and answer tickets ??

i just think u are over doing it a little bit

Rave_J
07-07-2011, 07:00 AM
I read on the wiki that this server is planned for multiple platforms...

You mean this will be the first server that is playable on both PC and iPhone or what?

no hes meaning
Ol West PC be a server
iphone will be a seperate server
facebook a combine with iphone server i guess

they will never put pc and iphone together they just put iphone and facebook
stefan dont want to do it as he already stated

littlekinky
07-07-2011, 12:29 PM
no hes meaning
Ol West PC be a server
iphone will be a seperate server
facebook a combine with iphone server i guess

they will never put pc and iphone together they just put iphone and facebook
stefan dont want to do it as he already stated

I heard Stefan is putting izone and pc zone on the same server?

Rave_J
07-07-2011, 01:57 PM
hardly doubtful due to its not a fair compete game with pc u might heard iphone with facebook

ThomV
07-07-2011, 02:31 PM
I never liked Ol West, but I'm sure many others did. Hope it'll contribute to a better future for Graal.

I admire you for even attempting to lead two projects at once, I really hope you get to pull it off.

Best of luck.

Unkownsoldier
07-07-2011, 04:17 PM
hardly doubtful due to its not a fair compete game with pc u might heard iphone with facebook

PC and iPhone is practically the same as Facebook and I iPhone I presume. So there will always be an advantage.

Chelterrar
07-07-2011, 04:26 PM
I just send my application :D Good Luck to any who try. I still hope it works out for me, would be a great chance. :D

Good Luck

Chelterrar

Rave_J
07-08-2011, 04:27 AM
PC and iPhone is practically the same as Facebook and I iPhone I presume. So there will always be an advantage.

.. pc servers are alot different then iphone and facebook servers
by far
like classic on iphone and look on classic on pc
look at era on iphone look at era on pc
facebooks getting 3d servers ect
pc idk
i wish they add back the 3d client dev tools but in a way
idk if anybody would get a server up due to the scripting skills
i can see ziro,tig,foul, and a few oldbies but not really anybody new
oldbies like pfa,ningnong,skyld

ffcmike
07-08-2011, 08:24 AM
.. pc servers are alot different then iphone and

He's not comparing the differences of the server content, but the difference in advantages between the platforms, inwhich there isn't too much difference in comparing PC vs iPhone to Facebook vs iPhone.

Interestingly enough they are supposedly creating a VIP subscription for iPhone players to be able to access their iPhone server account via Facebook (or something similar).
I don't see the separation of PC client - iPhone as a matter of fairness, I think Stefan/Unix are perfectly aware of how many remaining PC players are older, more cynical and feel that Graal is a rip off, and so want to avoid the possibility of more aware/knowledgeable players spreading a level of discontent towards their product onto the younger generation.

On a more relevant note, it would be interesting to see if Ol' West can fulfil a niche not currently present on Graal.

Trexaty
07-08-2011, 05:18 PM
where can we get the tileset from? for LAT applications?

Clockwork
07-08-2011, 06:04 PM
My rc better still work >:(

LordSquirt
07-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Playing Graal on Facebook is no different than playing Graal on PC.

Tigairius
07-08-2011, 07:22 PM
where can we get the tileset from? for LAT applications?

Right now we just want to see your proficiency in the regular tilesets (pics1.png or similar format). If we're interested after seeing your regular levels, we'll ask you to make an Ol' West level.

Tigairius
07-09-2011, 04:34 AM
Guys, let's stay on topic. Start a different thread to discuss these other things like Facebook, advantages of iphone servers, etc.

Rave_J
07-09-2011, 06:07 AM
tig how was that a personal question it was a ol west question
i look at it not to be mean
but if u want people to donate there time to developing on Ol West we need to know if u actually got the time to develop for it and not wasting our time

Tigairius
07-09-2011, 06:28 AM
tig how was that a personal question it was a ol west question
i look at it not to be mean
but if u want people to donate there time to developing on Ol West we need to know if u actually got the time to develop for it and not wasting our time

Rave, I know you're not being mean. I can assure you that you will see me every day if you become an inner part of the team, and you will also eventually receive instant access to contact me.

BigBear3
07-09-2011, 07:09 AM
:confused:

Chilled_Wind
07-09-2011, 06:44 PM
What email do i send the levels to

MattKan
07-09-2011, 07:13 PM
What email do i send the levels to
Submit applications to [email protected] with the subject of "Ol' West: <Desired Position>". Please also submit your portfolio and/or a brief overview of your experience.
If we are interested, we will contact you back for a followup.

ff7chocoboknight
07-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Tig, will you be bringing back the Ol' West site and forums?

Seeya
07-09-2011, 09:10 PM

thissssssssss

ff7chocoboknight
07-09-2011, 09:21 PM
I was an active member of the forums so I thought I'd ask.

Tigairius
07-09-2011, 09:31 PM

At this time, I have no intentions of doing that.

ff7chocoboknight
07-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Is Mag going to be working on Ol' West again?

Tigairius
07-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Is Mag going to be working on Ol' West again?

I contacted Mag asking him to return, he never replied by the deadline I gave him, so at this point I'm saying no. Maybe sometime in the future.

Vman13x
07-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Glad to see ol west returning, I wish mag would come back though.

Rave_J
07-10-2011, 01:39 AM
Tig do u have to be gold to become a staff
and can u post the tileset i might play with it a bit

sorry for asking but its says its staff only so i cant get it

Tigairius
07-10-2011, 01:41 AM
We'll send you the tileset to work with after we see some of your levels with the pics1.png tileset. You don't need gold.

Rave_J
07-10-2011, 07:24 AM
We'll send you the tileset to work with after we see some of your levels with the pics1.png tileset. You don't need gold.

do u really have to see some of my work tig
u knew me for how long ??
im pretty sure u seen my work
i have alot of it on the fourms.

im pretty sure u know what im capable of
i can pretty much work with any tileset that someone presents me

Tigairius
07-10-2011, 07:26 AM
do u really have to see some of my work tig
u knew me for how long ??
im pretty sure u seen my work
i have alot of it on the fourms.

im pretty sure u know what im capable of
i can pretty much work with any tileset that someone presents me

Everyone who is interested in working must submit an application.

Rave_J
07-10-2011, 07:32 AM
alright i sent u a pm let me know asap so i know what to do thought

Emera
07-10-2011, 12:32 PM
If only they needed music. *slaps knee*

Rave_J
07-10-2011, 05:58 PM
If only they needed music. *slaps knee*

lol what program u use
i love using anvirl studio
its pro sucks that it saves as mids files

warriors94
07-10-2011, 06:32 PM
To apply, or not to apply, for that is the question.

Also I'm glad you're bringing this back. I can once again go running around with the nickname "Zoro".

Rave_J
07-10-2011, 08:29 PM
i remember messing with the tileset before
a while back ago on my old computer

Rave_J
07-10-2011, 09:10 PM
woot just finish my app and submit it already just waiting

Rolav
07-12-2011, 04:56 AM
Let me know what I can do to help. Just got back from Afghanistan so I have a bit of free time.

You still got the ol web site?

Tigairius
07-12-2011, 05:17 AM
Let me know what I can do to help. Just got back from Afghanistan so I have a bit of free time.

Hey buddy, welcome back home! You're more than welcome back on the team. Just shoot me an email and we'll catch up. Ol' West website is no more for now!

Pimmeh
07-12-2011, 12:02 PM

War Vet? Respect

Rolav
07-23-2011, 03:50 PM
What is your email Tig? I've been trying to find you on the servers. I can't send you PMs for some reason.

Tigairius
07-23-2011, 08:38 PM
What is your email Tig? I've been trying to find you on the servers. I can't send you PMs for some reason.

[email protected]

Link3D
07-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Great work Tig. I've been waiting forever for Ol' West to return ;)

Chilled_Wind
08-15-2011, 09:19 PM
I think this server will be interesting for all to see. I think im going to apply for it since ive never seen it and it will be fun to work on a big project like this.

imbavik
09-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Great!, i just love Ol' West!
When would player be able to Connect to Ol' West ?

MattKan
11-25-2011, 05:16 AM
Is this still in development?

Matt
11-25-2011, 10:38 PM
More than likely, but i'm sure it's not getting done as fast as everyone would like. It seems most development lies around iPhone/iPod and v6, from what i've noticed.

ff7chocoboknight
11-27-2011, 04:17 AM
Blech. Ol West is higher priority imo.

TheJames
12-01-2011, 05:14 AM
bump

Is this project still going on?

Tigairius
12-04-2011, 11:43 AM
The project is still in development but is currently being delayed due to my schedule.

Geno
07-10-2012, 01:22 AM
is this still in development?

ff7chocoboknight
07-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Probably not.

Tigairius
07-10-2012, 10:19 AM
It's on the backburner right now, but not -dead-