PDA

View Full Version : More tilelayers[] functionality needed

0PiX0
06-14-2011, 09:40 PM
I am developing a platformer / sidescroller. The blocking tiles in my level are above layer 0. I do not want to place blocking tiles on layer 0 beneath my other tiles just to create the blocking effect. My projectiles use tiletype(tx,ty) to check collisions, but there is no support for tiletype above layer 0.
It's made so that tile layers above zero are not blocking because they are for decoration
Please add support for level.tilelayers[i].tiletype(tx,ty).

I would rather not have to create a scripted version using level.tilelayers[i].tiles[x,y] since that would be much less efficient.

Also, please add support for parallax scrolling.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax_scrolling
Perhaps something like this:

level.tilelayers[i].parallaxscrolling = true;

Then the layers could be scrolled by simply adjusting the x and y of each tilelayer:

level.tilelayers[i].x++;
level.tilelayers[i].y++;

This would allow me to create effects such as repeated scrolling backgrounds, moving clouds, etc. without using multiple npcs.

WhiteDragon
06-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Neat suggestions. +1

Cubical
06-14-2011, 11:24 PM
Also, please add support for parallax scrolling.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax_scrolling
Perhaps something like this:

level.tilelayers[i].parallaxscrolling = true;

Then the layers could be scrolled by simply adjusting the x and y of each tilelayer:

level.tilelayers[i].x++;
level.tilelayers[i].y++;

This would allow me to create effects such as repeated scrolling backgrounds, moving clouds, etc. without using multiple npcs.
Zero(zokemon) already accomplished this on Atexia somehow. I think it was a mixture of tilelayers and an image behind them. it was pretty sweet.

DustyPorViva
06-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Zero(zokemon) already accomplished this on Atexia somehow. I think it was a mixture of tilelayers and an image behind them. it was pretty sweet.

He coded his own tile rendering, it was all showimgs.

0PiX0
06-14-2011, 11:42 PM
I think it was a mixture of tilelayers and an image behind them.
Images cannot be displayed behind tiles, so it must have been more complex. Things like this should be kept as simple as possible, which is why I am asking for a practical method to be implemented. :)

DustyPorViva
06-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Images cannot be displayed behind tiles, so it must have been more complex. Things like this should be kept as simple as possible, which is why I am asking for a practical method to be implemented. :)
They can be, but it's not a simple process.

0PiX0
07-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Stefan, please add support for parallax scrolling in tilelayers.

It's not like I can script a giant loop that changes 4096 tiles per scrolling tilelayer and moves them every 0.05 of a second. x_x The loop limit would definitely be exceeded. If anyone has any ideas for a workaround that doesn't involve showimgs as tiles, I'm all ears.

Thanks. :)

oo_jazz_oo
07-07-2011, 09:16 AM
What if you set layer 0s alpha to 0, then created a gui image and placed it behind the GraalControl object?

No clue if this would work, but it seems logical....kinda.

DustyPorViva
07-07-2011, 10:03 AM
What if you set layer 0s alpha to 0, then created a gui image and placed it behind the GraalControl object?

No clue if this would work, but it seems logical....kinda.
It does work, and has been done for a while for background images. It's not exactly the smoothest process though.

0PiX0
07-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks!
Seems to be working so far. :)

zokemon
07-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Haven't logged on here in years and the first thread I look at, I see my name! Wow guys, I feel so warm and fuzzy inside.

Sorry, to bring up a slightly old topic and go off topic (even though it was the newest).

On that note, have tilelayers made any advancements since my adventures with them?

Crow
07-11-2011, 01:54 PM
On that note, have tilelayers made any advancements since my adventures with them?

Nope :(

zokemon
07-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Nope :(

Sad.

Hezzy002
08-22-2011, 07:16 AM
I love how people have to hack things in, and have to discover things on their own (Even though it's running in a ****ing sandbox that Stefan should know everything about) and Graal is actively developed. Pathetic.

xXziroXx
03-22-2012, 06:38 PM
Bump. This would be INCREDIBLY useful to make levels really come to life. Also being able to draw tilelayers above players would AMAZING.