PDA

View Full Version : Delteria Opened to the Public

MysticalDragon
04-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Happy Easter,
As a reward for it being a holiday I opened delteria up to the public. Please be aware this is a "Observer" only beta. Which means there is no , baddies and active dungeons are closed off. So Id say its for more of a showcase. At about midnight the server will get closed off again to continue development.

Matt
04-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Nice, thanks ! ^^

kia345
04-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Kaljun re-release with only sparring, part deux

fowlplay4
04-24-2011, 10:57 PM
I don't get why you start off in a crate on a ship.

kia345
04-24-2011, 11:43 PM

Stand up. There you go. You were dreaming. What's your name? I've heard them say we've reached Morrowind.

MysticalDragon
04-25-2011, 01:30 AM

Well we plan on adding a little storyline starter quest that tells you that. For the people that never played delteria in short, there was this Huge port called Kaljun. (Where that brown or white castle was)Those Delterians castle fell, and they came over to this new found land VIA ship, Sandz thought it would be cool for a mini cut scene with you getting pried out of a crate. We basically "downsized" delteria's gmap to fit with todays "Massive" online Graal Game.

Knux
04-25-2011, 06:01 AM
Stand up. There you go. You were dreaming. What's your name? I've heard them say we've reached Morrowind.

Bahahahaha

Twinny
04-25-2011, 11:55 AM

If I could pos rep you 1000 times I would

smirt362
04-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Ran around Delteria just now for about an hour and explored everyplace I could get to. I've fallen in love with the server all over again. Just running around was fun. It's the level of detail in each area, little touches. Like the NPCS that read, the bugs that fly around the lamps, bubbling potions, tents unzipping when you get close, saloon doors flapping, that hot air balloon (please say we can go ballooning), and the conveyor belt with rocks.

It's what every server should strive for in level design.

Also, I sat there playing with those saloon doors way longer than I should of.

Raspberry
04-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Checked out the server, Very Nice Work.

MysticalDragon
04-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Thank you guys for the support, and I thank the haters for motivating us to complete the server.

Fulg0reSama
04-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Ran around Delteria just now for about an hour and explored everyplace I could get to. I've fallen in love with the server all over again. Just running around was fun. It's the level of detail in each area, little touches. Like the NPCS that read, the bugs that fly around the lamps, bubbling potions, tents unzipping when you get close, saloon doors flapping, that hot air balloon (please say we can go ballooning), and the conveyor belt with rocks.

It's what every server should strive for in level design.

Also, I sat there playing with those saloon doors way longer than I should of.

Surprised you didn't play with the mushrooms on the outside levels :p
I know I did.

fowlplay4
04-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Interested on how you plan to match the quality of work Zerith and Sandz put into the server.

kia345
04-26-2011, 05:07 PM
quality of work

Zerith

Really?

smirt362
04-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Surprised you didn't play with the mushrooms on the outside levels :p
I know I did.

Cool, you can squish the mushrooms down.

Also, in the information building, you can't get outside once you go inside the building. It's also impossible to get out of the MHX guild house entrance level unless you unstick after jumping down towards the gate (Can you get inside yet?).

Kiwi27
04-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Never been on Delteria before. Should be cool, from what the other reactions are like :D

MattKan
04-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Pics?

smirt362
04-27-2011, 01:38 AM
Pics?

I keep finding new stuff to explore :pluffy:

MattKan
04-27-2011, 02:58 AM
That's amazing.

MysticalDragon
04-27-2011, 03:19 AM
We appreciate the good comments, Unfortunately some people don't see the talent that delteria has. Everyday we come a little bit closer to completion. Don't forget were still looking for staff?

nullify
04-27-2011, 04:03 AM
Credits go to Sandz/Tiamat/Cloven/many other people.

kia345
04-27-2011, 04:12 AM
Credits go to Sandz/Tiamat/Cloven/many other people.

they are talented individuals and I appreciate all the wonderful work they did md you need to grow a pair, it's good to see you've got the tort-tier show of powers down though

MysticalDragon
04-27-2011, 04:12 AM
Interested on how you plan to match the quality of work Zerith and Sandz put into the server.

Zerith happens to be delterias GAT Admin, and GFXs arn't much without scripters.

smirt362
04-27-2011, 02:17 PM
It might be worth it to learn the scripting part yourself. I fear there aren't many scripters left.

MysticalDragon
04-27-2011, 07:02 PM
As of right now me and Cloven do the scripting.

Soala
04-27-2011, 07:12 PM
The only thing I don't really like is the tree's trunk. Other than that, I love how Delteria looks :)!

Alex-Stravier
04-28-2011, 08:17 AM
It might be worth it to learn the scripting part yourself. I fear there aren't many scripters left.

I feel like development on Graal itself has been in decline ever since people had the option to purchase their own development server -- it spreads developers out so thinly that there really aren't that many people that want to work for existing servers anymore. Especially when they can just manage their own server instead of following orders from someone else.

MattKan
07-09-2011, 01:29 AM
Any updates on this project?

Geno
07-09-2011, 01:44 AM
I feel like development on Graal itself has been in decline ever since people had the option to purchase their own development server -- it spreads developers out so thinly that there really aren't that many people that want to work for existing servers anymore. Especially when they can just manage their own server instead of following orders from someone else.

this is a pretty valid point

ffcmike
07-09-2011, 02:09 AM
It's definitely a valid point, but not a simple matter.
I'd imagine server rental to be a significant contributor to what has kept Graal alive financially. It also provides a platform for completely inexperienced developers for the most part, who would otherwise never be able to get a chance to practise on an established server, albeit this never proves worthwhile for the servers themself.
The effect this has on spreading developers doesn't apply as strongly when it comes to the higher end of things.

I would personally like to see server prices increase quite deliberately to reduce the amount of them being purchased, but then I would like to see this accompanied by improved tools and sufficient official documentation on how to develop, the aim being to make it more worthwhile.

It's incredible how many PMs I've received over the last couple years from people I don't know that have purchased a server, and don't even know (or are unable to find out) the most basic of things such as how to use RC, yet alone the basics of online scripting.

gravator
07-09-2011, 03:05 AM
I see this as a problem that has been around for some time, and for the same reason, people buy their own server to work on so they can work on their own ideas, and are unwilling to be anything less than manager because as one person has told me when i asked, "I'm a control freak, and i NEED creative control." Because they want their idea at the forefront of the server and no one elses or it just will not work, and this leads to everyone doing it, less help overall and many servers never see the light of day because nobody wants to let go of their "creative control" even if it's detrimental to development of the server.

Someone may have to step in and make a solid list of servers that are being worked on, and force talent into those servers somehow by taking away the ability to create new servers, and charge people for the opportunity to work on one of the servers that are on the list, or else the time it takes to get these servers to reach as far as hosted status will cause those working on it to feel burned out and demotivated entirely, then you just wind up with constant manager changes or loss of direction from the original idea.

fowlplay4
07-09-2011, 03:55 AM
Things I believe:

1. People should be able to do what they want, especially be able to go off and create their own server.
2. Server failures will occur regardless, it's volunteer-ran after all.
3. Less emphasis should be placed on the server failing, and more on what was learned and (the reflection phase) release usable server assets for public usage and consumption rather than have it wither away into nothing.
4. Documentation can and should be improved.

MattKan
07-09-2011, 04:29 AM

But whose duty is it to do this? Is it nobody's duty and something just to be worked on by developers in their spare time, or should the PWA, GDT, Stefan/Unixmad, etc. be involved?

WhiteDragon
07-09-2011, 05:39 AM
1. People should be able to do what they want, especially be able to go off and create their own server.
2. Server failures will occur regardless, it's volunteer-ran after all.
I partially agree with this. Here is where I disconnect: when a server fails, it is not only fatal to itself, but it also hurts other servers.

So, trying to reduce the number of failures could be helpful to the game overall, since the developers that were a part of those servers could then help out other places and perhaps increase the chances of success.

When I imagine a situation where the servers are completely free, I don't see why anyone would want to help on an existing server. You have way more creative control and less to worry about.

I think server price is a pretty good knob to have in order to control the server/developer ratio a little bit. Though, it is kind of an arbitrary metric, because why should people with money (or with rich parents) be the ones deciding more things? A better metric would be welcome. But I think there should be one.

3. Less emphasis should be placed on the server failing, and more on what was learned and (the reflection phase) release usable server assets for public usage and consumption rather than have it wither away into nothing.
Fully agree.

Rave_J
07-09-2011, 06:16 AM
i know when Sage orginal owner left aeon
PWA said that they cant just give someone owner of a UC due to money issues
like u pay for the server and u got inactive for like 6 months and u come back and ur crap got taken away for something u bought and made ??
i just know PWA will not take UC servers away from the orginal buyer of the server. i think something with stefan and unixmad and the money type thing

xXziroXx
07-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Any updates on this project?

Last I checked, MD & DV were using what was left of Maloria to turn it into a Malteria/Deltoria hybrid, combining the best of both servers. Something I wasn't slow to put an end too.

Drizzy
07-10-2011, 03:10 AM
Last I checked, MD & DV were using what was left of Maloria to turn it into a Malteria/Deltoria hybrid, combining the best of both servers. Something I wasn't slow to put an end too.

lol'ed

FaLLChiLD
07-22-2011, 11:49 PM
You can throw a HUGE thanks to Sandz, it's truly him that gave you all the little details you see that are making you all fall in love. And the majority of the graphics you're looking at.

Rave_J
07-23-2011, 03:01 AM
lol hezzy is making his own iphone game and using delteria tileset and things he said Sandz donate it to him lol but its graal that owns the rights of it
meaning own iphone game off of graal that hes going to make people pay to download it

ff7chocoboknight
07-23-2011, 05:12 AM
Cool.

FaLLChiLD
07-24-2011, 12:24 PM
lol hezzy is making his own iphone game and using delteria tileset and things he said Sandz donate it to him lol but its graal that owns the rights of it
meaning own iphone game off of graal that hes going to make people pay to download it

We'll see how well that goes. :noob:

Tricxta
07-24-2011, 12:42 PM
As well as everwind im betting.

MysticalDragon
12-16-2014, 10:15 AM
*bump* the memoriesss