PDA

View Full Version : Account naming

Fogell
02-01-2011, 04:22 AM
Out of all the things I hope for in Graal's future, I want account naming back the most. Why? Because it makes things much easier, many servers use your account name for events, tags, etc. having to deal with a boggled numbers can be stressful for us noobs ^.^

RegretZ
02-01-2011, 04:25 AM
Out of all the things I hope for in Graal's future, I want account naming back the most. Why? Because it makes things much easier, many servers use your account name for events, tags, etc. having to deal with a boggled numbers can be stressful for us noobs ^.^

Why don't they just bring back classic accounts while they're at it? :rolleyes:

Fogell
02-01-2011, 04:36 AM
I think with them knowing that they can get about 36.00 € annually from all the players, plus the 2000 mutual classic iphone players, I don't see that happening any time soon. >_<

Unkownsoldier
02-01-2011, 04:41 AM
I'll pos rep anyone who dereps Regrasstz or w.e his name is.

Fulg0reSama
02-01-2011, 04:48 AM
I'll doodle for anyone who kicks U.S in the balls and neg reps him.

Fogell
02-01-2011, 04:55 AM
What he said-^ oh wait...

MrOmega
02-01-2011, 06:15 AM
This has been brought up before and won't change, servers should be using player.communityname, not player.account. Contact Tig or a PWA and they'll get it resolved.

fowlplay4
02-01-2011, 06:30 AM
Rather than take steps back, we should take two forward.

1. All accounts should be allowed to choose a community name.
2. Subscription Model (gold/classic/trial) removed.

Also UN update your legacy scripts already, you've had the last 7~ years to.

cbk1994
02-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Classic accounts should be allowed to change their community names once (and maybe later for 50 gelats or something.) This would allow classic players who hate their account names to get new ones. It would also put more pressure on developers to write scripts that don't use account names publicly.

The only real problem with the community name system is that there is poor script support for it (i.e. no way to find an account for a community name or vica-versa, even though it has been requested (http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134257085).) There are also several RC bugs (http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134259701).

Demisis_P2P
02-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Classic accounts should be allowed to change their community names once (and maybe later for 50 gelats or something.) This would allow classic players who hate their account names to get new ones. It would also put more pressure on developers to write scripts that don't use account names publicly.

The only real problem with the community name system is that there is poor script support for it (i.e. no way to find an account for a community name or vica-versa, even though it has been requested (http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134257085).) There are also several RC bugs (http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134259701).

I tried to rep you for this post but I gotta spread rep.
I agree with everything.

MrOmega
02-01-2011, 03:48 PM

I've always used findPlayer( account).communityname and findPlayerByCommunityName( cname).account for when I've been wanting to do that. Also, since not every player has a community name set I usually do

temp.pl = findPlayer( account);
temp.pName = !( temp.pl.communityname)? temp.pl.account: temp.pl.communityname

Just to avoided the annoyance, but as stated in that thread, offline accounts, well, there's no support. I worked around this awhile ago by making a DBNPC and putting account in an array, then whenever the player logged on, if their account was in their, then some function would run. I agree with the RC issues, usually communitynames are easier to remember than accounts.

MattKan
02-01-2011, 05:12 PM
What's the other side of this issue? Was there a problem with account naming before it stopped being supported? I really wish we could name our accounts, but at the same time there might be a good reason for why this was removed. But if it wasn't causing problems, then it would be very nice to have back. I agree with everything everyone else has said so far.

Crow
02-01-2011, 05:31 PM
I'll pos rep anyone who dereps Regrasstz or w.e his name is.

You can't give positive reputation :noob:

MrOmega
02-01-2011, 05:59 PM
The only issue with renaming account (this goes for community names as well) is that lets say account MrFoo has >9000 widgets on a server and this data is saved in a DB. Now he renames himself to MrBar and then account MrBaz renames himself to MrFoo. The previous account MrBaz (Now MrFoo) has access to all those widgets.

fowlplay4
02-01-2011, 06:15 PM
(this goes for community names as well)

If you use community name as a unique identifier/key to the account data then yes it will otherwise no.

MattKan
02-01-2011, 07:14 PM
If you use community name as a unique identifier/key to the account data then yes it will otherwise no.

Two Options Then:

1) somehow transfer the accounts to whatever the players choose as their new account name so they don't lose anything

2) Don't really do anything about people who currently don't have custom account names, but start selling the accounts where you can choose your account name again.

Obviously 1 is preferable to 2, but I think both would be a major improvement.

fowlplay4
02-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Two Options Then:

1) somehow transfer the accounts to whatever the players choose as their new account name so they don't lose anything

2) Don't really do anything about people who currently don't have custom account names, but start selling the accounts where you can choose your account name again.

Obviously 1 is preferable to 2, but I think both would be a major improvement.

Nothing has to be done, if they would just fix the last remaining issues with the system and make it transparent to players things would be just fine but alas we have servers like UN whom do very little in their maintenance department and other people who just don't know how to use it properly.

The system should of been used from the get-go, it's just a mess on how things are setup.

How it is on UN:

player.nick - Used to display player's nickname
player.communityname - Either not used at all or not used properly
player.account - Still used in public commands and very visible to the player-count.

How it should be used it:

player.nick - Used to display player's nickname
player.communityname - Used to display unique identifier for other players
player.account - Used for back-end data storage

Players should only be aware of two things when they're playing, other player's nicknames and their publicly displayed handle (community name).

Deas_Voice
02-01-2011, 09:27 PM
i'd just like to mention that it's almost impossible to find out a players graal account now that it's only the communityname that shows. i know that u can send a pm to them and have it showed in F2; otherwise its by rc "global chat" command or thought the playerlist, and open their attributes, which can be annoying with 50+ players on.

cbk1994
02-01-2011, 10:59 PM
I've always used findPlayer( account).communityname and findPlayerByCommunityName( cname).account for when I've been wanting to do that. Also, since not every player has a community name set I usually do

temp.pl = findPlayer( account);
temp.pName = !( temp.pl.communityname)? temp.pl.account: temp.pl.communityname

Just to avoided the annoyance, but as stated in that thread, offline accounts, well, there's no support. I worked around this awhile ago by making a DBNPC and putting account in an array, then whenever the player logged on, if their account was in their, then some function would run. I agree with the RC issues, usually communitynames are easier to remember than accounts.

I'm wondering if you even read the thread I linked to...

The reason these commands are needed is not for findPlayer, but for when accounts are offline.

MrOmega
02-01-2011, 11:49 PM
I'm wondering if you even read the thread I linked to...

read my post, i mentioned the failure of the offline account manipulation, i also told my work around...

Raspberry
02-02-2011, 11:58 AM

Good point, Graal is dieing because new players dont want to pay 36.00 € to play, the only thing keeping the community alive is the players with lifetime Classic accounts if they brought back Classic subscription we would get a larger community and more players.

salesman
02-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Good point, Graal is dieing because new players dont want to pay 36.00 € to play, the only thing keeping the community alive is the players with lifetime Classic accounts if they brought back Classic subscription we would get a larger community and more players.

My thingymajig tells me that there is a good chance he wasn't being srs.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2rTR2Dls5Yg/SiS0eybgnDI/AAAAAAAAB54/AaUWKTU53Ak/s400/sarcasm_detector.jpg

RegretZ
02-02-2011, 04:04 PM

Actually I was being sarcastic there...
The reason they don't bring Classic accounts back is because they don't provide a constant flow of income. Bringing back Classic accounts would basically be placing total faith that somehow a ton of players will join every day/week/month/w.e. in the future, and provide constant money, but that is highly unlikely.

MrOmega
02-02-2011, 07:40 PM
The reason they don't bring Classic accounts back is because they don't provide a constant flow of income. Bringing back Classic accounts would basically be placing total faith that somehow a ton of players will join every day/week/month/w.e. in the future, and provide constant money, but that is highly unlikely.

I agree, their current mindsets about classic are wrong though. If they do bring it back they need incorporate a cash shop system for it. Kinda like what the cards did, but leave the shop items up to the server. This in return could also provide more people to buy the bigger price on dev gold. If a player bought an item for 5Gelats, then Graal gets 4 gelats of the cash value and the server owner gets one. Items that last a couple of hours or so, players will buy them constantly. This then leaves the workers of the server to have faith in the owner to distribute the earnings accordingly.

Deas_Voice
02-02-2011, 08:56 PM
This then leaves the workers of the server to have faith in the owner to distribute the earnings accordingly.

this would never work, i'm sure some "owners" will take it all for them selfs :(

MrOmega
02-02-2011, 09:34 PM
this would never work, i'm sure some "owners" will take it all for them selfs :(

I suspect some will, but, the more mature of us, will distribute it accordingly, thus creating more content and then more players/munniez, being more successful servers.
Free Market Baby!

(Basically owners that do that will die off due to the invisible hand)

Raspberry
02-03-2011, 08:30 AM
My thingymajig tells me that there is a good chance he wasn't being srs.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2rTR2Dls5Yg/SiS0eybgnDI/AAAAAAAAB54/AaUWKTU53Ak/s400/sarcasm_detector.jpg

Oh well i still agree with my point:cool:

Raspberry
02-03-2011, 08:32 AM

Yeah i know...

The_Federov
02-22-2011, 04:58 AM

So they can make more money?

Darugo
02-28-2011, 03:18 AM
When I first heard of this Graal#### it immediately reminded me of this pamphlet my Business teacher had that was called "We're all just numbers." Something about credit score. Kind of disturbing that the whole idea was introduced as it's the ruining of a player's individuality.

emoman
04-11-2011, 10:52 PM
I want to change my account name so, so badly.

Geno
04-12-2011, 05:19 AM
why emoman? why?

Devil_Lord2
04-12-2011, 06:42 AM
:] I would like my community named from Devil_Lord2 to David K? if possible. ;]

emoman
04-12-2011, 01:25 PM
why emoman? why?

;__;

Emera
05-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Maybe, for a fee of 50 gelats, gold members should be allowed to change their account to a custom account name.

Crow
05-29-2011, 02:47 PM
Maybe, for a fee of 50 gelats, gold members should be allowed to change their account to a custom account name.

Won't work.

cbk1994
05-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Won't work.
Not sure if it is, but it should be possible to allow them to change their community names, though, which is essentially the same thing.

Bubble13
05-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Not sure if it is, but it should be possible to allow them to change their community names, though, which is essentially the same thing.

We can't change our community names by ourself after we select one. We have to get Stefan to do that.

Crow
05-29-2011, 04:48 PM
We can't change our community names by ourself after we select one. We have to get Stefan to do that.

Chris only suggested that it would be possible. Changing account names, though, is not possible.

Bubble13
05-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Chris only suggested that it would be possible. Changing account names, though, is not possible.

If people were able to change their community names by themselves you would never remember who's who. If you were hired somewhere you'd have to get someone to fix your name in the RC every time.

Crow
05-29-2011, 05:14 PM
If people were able to change their community names by themselves you would never remember who's who. If you were hired somewhere you'd have to get someone to fix your name in the RC every time.

Only saying that it's possible, not how stupid it is :p

callimuc
05-29-2011, 10:11 PM

I thought you can allway´s use the "default" one with the Gold/Trial accounts like Graal123456

Bubble13
05-29-2011, 10:34 PM
I thought you can allway´s use the "default" one with the Gold/Trial accounts like Graal123456

That default one is really your account. You can replace it with a community name.