PDA

View Full Version : System Release: Omni-Box

oo_jazz_oo
12-09-2010, 10:30 AM
~Introducing the Omni-Box~

The Omni-Box is a Graal search tool, useful for doing everyday tasks much quicker and easier.
This system is built right into the Chat Bar, so firing a weapon is not neccessary.
Simple open the chat bar, and press ctrl+f to start searching! Once open, you will see a few entries, the first one will prompt you to select it for instructions.
If you click this, it will open instructions on how to use the search tool.

There are a few keyboard shortcuts for maneuvering the system
Ctrl+Up/Down will change your selected item.
Ctrl+Enter will select the highlighted item. You can also click on an item to select it.

Below that are a list of recent updates.

To search, all you need to do is begin typing. The Omni-Box will match your search text to related items.
The default search will look through Players, Weapons, and Hats.
Say you start typing "Bom", the *Bomb weapon will pop up. If you type "oo" the search will probably return my account.

You can change the default search by typing ":options" into the chat bar. A list of avaiable options will pop up.
You can then set what you want to search for the default search. You can choose up to 3, or you can have less than 3 if you make the other search options "none".
(Select the options like you would for the regular search, either use ctrl+up/down to highlight, then ctrl+enter to choose. Or just click an option to change it.)

By selecting different items, different actions will happen.
If you highlight and select a player, a pm window will open. If you had a waiting pm from that player, their message will also appear.
Selecing a weapon will make that weapon your currently equipped item.
Selecting a hat or tailor outfit will equip you with that entry.

You can also enter search modifiers to narrow down your search.

Say you just want to search through hats. Simple begin your search with "hats:" followed by your search. Or just enter "hats:" followed by a space if you don't know exactly what your looking for.
Other search modifiers include players:, weapons:, tailor: (or taylor: ), pms: (or pm: ), guilds:, and staff:

When you search, the Omni-Box will ceck if a related item starts with that text, or simply includes it.
Certain searches will match more than that. In the case of the tailor: search, it will first check if an outfit name includes your search text.
It will then check all the outfit parts (body, head, etc) to see if your text search matches those.

This tool is very helpful when you want to quickly switch a tailor outfit, set a hat, or open pms with keyboard shortcuts.

If any bugs are discovered, please freel free to contact me on Unholy Nation, or forum pm me.

Any suggestions can go in this thread, or you can also pm me with suggestions.

tl;dr? Get on Unholy Nation, open chatbar, press ctrl+f, type something in. :)

1 sentence summary: Omni-Box is a tool for using Graal with keyboard shortcuts, quickly equipping hats and tailor outfits, easily finding staff and pming players, and finding people in specific guilds.

(Also: I feel like this is a very ugly thread....but I tried to make it look better, but nothing I did made it look good. :( I chose to center the entire thread, because when it wasn't centered, it looked.....wrong....sorry for the eye-sore! I promise the system looks better than this thread. :3)

Hiro
12-09-2010, 10:58 AM
cool update bro

Deas_Voice
12-09-2010, 11:21 AM
neat update,
un-eyesore please? :3

Fulg0reSama
12-09-2010, 11:24 AM
This needs more techno dog. Other than that Love it.

jacob_bald6225
12-11-2010, 01:46 AM
This kind of update is exactly what is wrong with Graal development.

Public classic servers shouldn't be development playgrounds they should be games with gameplay elements and not unnecessary tools.

oo_jazz_oo
12-11-2010, 03:10 AM

Public classic servers shouldn't be development playgrounds they should be games with gameplay elements and not unnecessary tools.

They aren't development playgrounds. Perhaps to some, but if I wanted to test out scripts, I would just go to Testbed.

Just because you or someone else views this as unnecessary doesn't mean everyone views it as unnecessary.
Some people actually find this handy.

Which is why you aren't forced to use this. I knew that some people would not understand, or would not like to use this.
And thats fine, I don't want to force people to use new systems.

But for others, this tool is a convenient way to do tasks in Graal.

Since most people have the chatbar up already, it makes it quick to switch outfits or equip different hats, and even open/send pms, or quickly find a staff member who is on and pm them.

There are many uses for this tool, but if you don't find any use in it, then I'm sorry. But just because you can't find a use for it doesn't mean its useless to everyone.

fowlplay4
12-11-2010, 03:50 AM

Heaven forbid UI elements be coded to provide a more convenient experience, that time could of been spent better developing a quest you'd never complete more than once right?

nullify
12-11-2010, 04:58 AM
Heaven forbid UI elements be coded to provide a more convenient experience, that time could of been spent better developing a quest you'd never complete more than once right?

QFT.
Updates are always nice. Especially when it simplifies everyday tasks.

Matt
12-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Looks cool, Jazz. :)

jacob_bald6225
12-11-2010, 11:38 PM

Why does nobody remember that they should be developing an online game and not a chatroom with avatars that we can dress up and make sparkly lights and effects on!?

Matt
12-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Why does nobody remember that they should be developing an online game and not a chatroom with avatars that we can dress up and make sparkly lights and effects on!?

Consider it an fancy addition to your online game.

Crono
12-12-2010, 01:18 AM

I suppose it's because nowadays it works. Look at "Classic" iPhone. Butchered by non-Classic players into a dull crappy "game" yet it's quite popular and has almost no gameplay. Anyone could do it.

jacob_bald6225
12-12-2010, 01:56 AM
Consider it an fancy addition to your online game.

There is no game. Nobody is making a ****ing game they're all making chat rooms with useless bells and whistles!

ffcmike
12-12-2010, 02:11 AM
I don't mean any detriment towards this specific update as it's no doubt incredibly useful however I do feel Ziplock has a point, while the aspects of interaction or customisation are still an important part of Graal and largely what currently keeps the majority of regular players on Graal satisfied, Graal's playercount has steadily declined over the years it has gradually become less of a solid game, and by solid I mean the near-immediate availability of something to do for any player that logs on old, new, with friends or by themself, not to say there aren't other reasons such as poor website, advertisement, high prices etc but these types of updates alone can only get an online game so far.

Bubble13
12-12-2010, 05:15 AM
I would prefer it as a weapon.

Mark Sir Link
12-12-2010, 06:32 AM
probably not going to use it and certainly don't mind its existence, but why is it on the front page of news for Graal?

oo_jazz_oo
12-12-2010, 06:41 AM
probably not going to use it and certainly don't mind its existence, but why is it on the front page of news for Graal?

I wondered that myself today...

I log on and bam, in my face...Not sure if another staff of UN requested it...or if the news team just needed something to report?

Crono
12-12-2010, 03:16 PM
desperate for news i suppose

nullify
12-12-2010, 05:13 PM
All the new hires with nothing to do.

Deas_Voice
12-13-2010, 07:53 PM
on "staff:" command, it says that, a player ain't on my buddy list when he is...

Twinny
12-20-2010, 10:10 PM
I too found it odd it was in the news. While it may be useful in certain circumstances, I do not think it's worthy of front page news...