PDA

View Full Version : V6 Feature Request: Login news tabs

Soala
04-20-2010, 10:41 PM
At the moment, the news on Login often feels scattered and unfocused. This can be confusing or frustrating to players, especially if they are only interested in updates related to specific aspects of Graal. There is a simple and convenient solution to this problem: news tabs.

Each tab could focus on just one category, allowing players to choose what they would like to read about. I suggest the addition of two extra tabs, creating these three categories for Login news:
Playerworld/Server Event News
Development News
Global News

Players could navigate between tabs based on their interests: events to participate in, new additions to servers, or updates that affect Graal as a whole. These tabs would also allow the Global News Team to more effectively organize and focus their posts.

Further customizing Login news could potentially offer even more convenience to players: a filter under each tab to sort updates by server, an option to choose which tab will be open when Login loads, polls, comments, etc.

In addition to this, I'm sure it would help the whole community to follow the news, and such things as announcements that are made on forums could aswell be posted there, since a large part of the community don't use those forums often enough.

Thoughts?

Door
04-20-2010, 11:47 PM
I think this is a pretty good idea. It offers a way to more effectively use an already existent resource. Graal tends to take its features for granted (usually implementing a feature and then leaving it at the bare minimum), so I'm happy to see ideas that improve what we already have.

DrakilorP2P
04-20-2010, 11:47 PM
I don't think news are posted often enough to justify complicating the login screen.

Door
04-20-2010, 11:50 PM
Thank you for supporting my 'bare minimum' comment.

Soala
04-20-2010, 11:54 PM
I don't think news are posted often enough to justify complicating the login screen.

Complicating the login screen would justify posting more ressources and news about anything that is graal related, which I believe would benefit us all.

DustyPorViva
04-20-2010, 11:58 PM
They're tabs, which are already there(with a whopping single tab). It's not complicating anything. It's organizing them.

cyan3
04-21-2010, 02:10 AM
Nice idea. At the moment news is only categorised into Graal Kingdoms, Zone and Playerworlds with the only visible difference between them is the icon next news post and the news sections on graalonline.com.

http://www.graalonline.com/kingdoms/news
http://www.graalonline.com/zone/news
http://www.graalonline.com/playerworlds/news

salesman
04-21-2010, 03:35 AM
I honestly would never navigate away from the default tab unless there was some kind of notification of an updated/new news article.

Instead of showing the entire article and making me scroll through all of them, I'd rather see some kind of list of titles which I can click on to read more if i'm interested. Kind of like this, but of course designed and reorganized for the login menu:
(I'm just trying to show what I mean by a list of articles)

Fulg0reSama
04-21-2010, 03:54 AM
It'd be interesting to also have small character limit comments for each news post.

DustyPorViva
04-21-2010, 03:55 AM
Also, instead of showing maps when you click on a server(which seems fairly pointless as it relies on staff keeping an up-to-date map image, and some servers like Zone don't even have a map), it should show news related to that specific server.

Clockwork
04-21-2010, 06:02 AM
# Development News
# Global News

Lol, those are like...how often? I can't recall the last news articles I've seen that fit into either.

Complicating the login screen would justify posting more ressources and news about anything that is graal related, which I believe would benefit us all.

A forum post feed would be interesting to see on login.

kia345
04-21-2010, 06:23 AM
Thank you for supporting my 'bare minimum' comment.

Kind of like the news in general

cyan3
04-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Lol, those are like...how often? I can't recall the last news articles I've seen that fit into either.

I agree, the last general news article posted was on the 1st of January and the one before that was on the 1st of September 2009. Also most development news is specific to a server unless we start announcing npc-server updates ect.

CremisiSteam
04-24-2010, 08:44 PM
At the moment, the news on Login often feels scattered and unfocused. This can be confusing or frustrating to players, especially if they are only interested in updates related to specific aspects of Graal. There is a simple and convenient solution to this problem: news tabs.

Each tab could focus on just one category, allowing players to choose what they would like to read about. I suggest the addition of two extra tabs, creating these three categories for Login news:
Playerworld/Server Event News
Development News
Global News

Players could navigate between tabs based on their interests: events to participate in, new additions to servers, or updates that affect Graal as a whole. These tabs would also allow the Global News Team to more effectively organize and focus their posts.

Further customizing Login news could potentially offer even more convenience to players: a filter under each tab to sort updates by server, an option to choose which tab will be open when Login loads, polls, comments, etc.

In addition to this, I'm sure it would help the whole community to follow the news, and such things as announcements that are made on forums could aswell be posted there, since a large part of the community don't use those forums often enough.

Thoughts?

They could also do a News Subscription tab.
It could let you subscribe to only get news/information from specific servers.
Said servers could just load news into a file kept on their server.

IE: I subscribe to Zodiac's news/updates and Era's new/updates.
I choose only to see The News Subscription tab (I basically ignore 90% of the news information anyways when and just jump onto one of three servers anyways.) This way I would only see information from zodiac and era.

Matt
04-25-2010, 10:12 PM
They could also do a News Subscription tab.
It could let you subscribe to only get news/information from specific servers.
Said servers could just load news into a file kept on their server.

IE: I subscribe to Zodiac's news/updates and Era's new/updates.
I choose only to see The News Subscription tab (I basically ignore 90% of the news information anyways when and just jump onto one of three servers anyways.) This way I would only see information from zodiac and era.

I like that idea, mainly just because of being able to specify which news from which servers your account should retrieve.