PDA

View Full Version : Slik and Abjorn's Rebirth Plan

coreys
02-13-2010, 03:17 AM
Here is what we have come up with (with help from Kay and Chang as well):

N-Pulse Rebirth Plan

Simple gameplay.

Keep close to classic roots.

Weapon usage and swordplay should be very similar to that of classic style servers and Zelda.
There should be varying weapons of all shapes and sizes, however speed, range, and power should not vary too greatly.

A limited leveling system.

Levels should not create uneven balances of power. While they should definitely effect strength, health, and the like, it should not be to a point where skill cannot overcome level.
A steep experience curve will be in place to further level the playing field.
To add a fun alternative to grinding, XP will be awarded for pking and sparring.

XP is limited to killing someone within 5 levels of yours. This is both acting as noobie protection and a failsafe against cheating (for instance, a high level player letting a low level friend kill them over and over to gain experience quickly).
Different ways of gaining XP award different amounts of XP. Killing badies gives the most XP, winning a spar after that, and pking someone in the open gives the least.

Gaining levels is very much analogous to gaining hearts, higher level sword, etc, in a classic quest. Most baddies (and the best baddies) will be concentrated in quests, so the best way to gain levels is to complete quests.

This will be designed so that players who have completed all the quests will be around the same level, much like players who have completed all quests on a classic server are. A player can still gain levels through pking, sparring, etc, but due to the lower amount of xp given and the high experience curve this will be difficult. So players who have played through the quests will not vary in strength too much.
Some quests may or may not be accessible after completion.

Weapons are categorized into Tiers.

Tiers have a upper and lower level limit. You must be a certain level to use a Tier, and you can use it up until a certain level.

For example, Tier 1 starts at Level 1, and you can use a Tier 1 weapon until, lets say, level 10.
The next Tier will start where the last one left off, so Tier 2 in this example would start at level 10.

All weapons in a Tier have a "base stat."

There are three stats for weapons, speed, range, and power.
Where one stat is lacking, one or more stats will make up for it equally.
So, for example, a Tier 1 weapon has a base stat of 5. So if that weapon had a speed stat of 3 it could be equalled out with a power stat of 7.

Or 3 speed, 7 range, 5 power
Or 3 speed, 6 range, 6 power
etc

Many Tiers will be decided upon for release, and weapons for them as well, though eventually more may be needed.

Upper Tiers will not have many weapons, as players won't be able to get them for some time (it will take much leveling), so the existing weapons for those Tiers will be there more as an incentive to continue playing.

Quests need to be designed in a completely different way from the usual way Graal Quests go.

Graal Quests, to be honest, suck. This includes every single Quest I have seen on N-Pulse.

They are all entirely comprised of "go from point A to point B; kill everything in your way; and solve mundane, arbitrary, and annoying puzzles that are not fun."
No fun, successful game designs dungeons and quests this way.

Quests should be creative, needing thought, skill, and adventure.

Think back to Zelda, specifically classics like A Link to the Past, or Ocarina of Time.
You did not just follow a linear route to get to the end. You had to figure out which way you needed to go, and when you did, there would be something blocking your path.
You would have to search around and find a way to get past the obstacles in your way, whether that be a new item, a switch or lever, a key, etc.
This would happen multiple times in a single dungeon. Dungeons took time and more importantly they were fun.

Quests should be planned in this manner.

Quests have a certain level range they should be designed for.
When making a Quest this should always be kept in mind.

For example, one of two weapons for the next Tier should be available to find in the dungeon because a player may level up to the next Tier in that Quest or soon after.
Baddies should be designed to be tough, but not impossible, for these level ranges.

To enforce the designed level range for Quests, most Quests should be made to be played in a certain order. Most of those should be inaccessible without having completed the previous Quest in the order.

This can be done through storyline, needing an item/spell from the previous Quest to gain entrance, etc.

Spells play a relatively minor role in overall gameplay.

Very few spells can be bought in a store, those that can are not particularly great.
The best spells are all in Quests, and a few can be found in remote parts of the overworld.

These spells (when in Quests) will play a major role in Quests, and are by far the most useful.

Gimmicky spells that are just for fun can be bought with EC.
Spell usage is simple, as easy as selecting the spell and using it.

A simple hotkey system will be implemented to smooth gameplay and make weapon switching and spell usage easier.

Offer new content that is high quality, reasonably original and enjoyable.

Attempt to maintain a fairly consistent look and feel. We don't want an amazing gfx right next to beginning-grade graphics.

Well structured and streamlined development pipeline for development efficiency.

Development goes through a 'pipeline.' The order and methods through which content is developed must be efficient and structured so that it can flow through the pipeline at a steady, fast rate. Otherwise this pipeline will get clogged and work will be delayed, sometimes indefinitely. This is what kills projects on Graal.
Nothing is done arbitrarily.

All work done must be planned and detailed beforehand.
No significant work should be done without having an approved and designed purpose.
If a staff has been working hard we are more than willing to give them a break to do whatever they want (within limits) until we need them again.

When someone has an idea it must go through a process to be vetted and, if it is decided to be used, planned in full.

Ideas are compiled into a list and every so often a group of development leaders will go through all proposed ideas and decide which should be used.
If an idea is to be used the appropriate staff will form a small team to plan out the idea fully and assign work and deadlines accordingly.
Anyone can propose an idea, no matter what it is.
Ideas will be held in a Google Wave. If someone wants to propose an idea they reply to that wave with a reasonable amount of details of their idea. The more detail the more chance the idea will be used.

This all also applies to ETs who work on Events and such.

Development staff that are not ET Devs have no obligation to work on on Events unless they have no current assignment.
This process will be mostly isolated for ETs, giving them more freedom to work without restrictions of admin oversight, but they still need some sort of planning.
ET Devs should not be assigned any work on Rebirth unless they request it.

PRs should keep themselves up to date on all projects and work being done. It may happen that a development staff can need reminding to check Google Wave on updates about assignments and work.

We also want to know what everyone thinks of having player stats. The question has been thrown in the air after this plan was created, and we don't have any particular feeling about it either way other than that if the players wanted player stats we would only have 3: strength, vitality, and intelligence.

Have away at it, folks, we really want to know what you think of it, good or bad. However, if you have criticism, please make it constructive. Give a reason, preferably multiple, for any issues you have with our current plan.

Keep in mind that this is the general plan, finer details will come after we finalize this general outline.

darkcloud667
02-13-2010, 03:27 AM
as stated on the npulse forums, i would love to see player stats for the classic players to have incentive to play the RPG part, by giving stat points to people who are good at pking and sparring classic style.

Engine
02-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Stats and the possibility to kill anyone if you were within 10 levels of you was what drew me into Maloria. I'd love to see another server take that same style and make it better like you are intending on doing.

Demisis_P2P
02-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Simple gameplay.
Keep close to classic roots.
Levels should not create uneven balances of power. While they should definitely effect strength, health, and the like, it should not be to a point where skill cannot overcome level.
To add a fun alternative to grinding, XP will be awarded for pking and sparring.

What I left are the bits that appeal to me the most :)
The whole plan sounds good though, especially the bit about quests.

Hopefully you guys manage to follow through with this.

SlikRick
02-13-2010, 09:16 PM
This was brought up on our Forums so figured I would post it here as well. Autumn brought up the level cap. We are not planning on having a level cap so players will continually have something to do. Versus I hit the cap now I'm bored.

02-13-2010, 09:18 PM
How long has N-Pulse Rebirth been in development?

HelpingAtStuff
02-13-2010, 09:20 PM
How long has N-Pulse Rebirth been in development?

A-hahaha. Way too long.
Years atleast, and they keep changing it around, making new systems.

What I don't like about this is the grinding system. I knew everything was going to be based on sparring and things like that.

Imperialistic
02-14-2010, 06:29 AM
Really like the direction you're going with this Slik.

papajchris
02-14-2010, 07:18 AM
This was brought up on our Forums so figured I would post it here as well. Autumn brought up the level cap. We are not planning on having a level cap so players will continually have something to do. Versus I hit the cap now I'm bored.

Assuming Graal is still around 2 years from now, thats kind of unfair. If a new player pk's someone who has been playing N-Pulse for 2 years and is like level 1000, how is he expected to win?

Demisis_P2P
02-14-2010, 07:30 AM
Assuming Graal is still around 2 years from now, thats kind of unfair. If a new player pk's someone who has been playing N-Pulse for 2 years and is like level 1000, how is he expected to win?

This point was addressed in the plan.

I don't know how they plan to do that. Probably diminishing returns?

DustyPorViva
02-14-2010, 07:39 AM
I've played online MMO's where the only thing level effected was mainly max health and max mana, and to a minor degree. Stats like strength and such were a constant from level 1 to level 98, depending on your race. However, there were a few skills that could add temporary boosts and such. Mainly what levels effected were how much 'stat points' you got to spend on your class skills, which you could also pay money to obtain. Thus, level 40's could competitively combat against level 90's, even though there was an advantage... and you can never get rid of some sort of advantage to higher levels.

And ya, diminishing returns are always a good route to go when you're dealing with numbers in an online game... if they're done right.

02-14-2010, 07:57 AM
I don't get it.

If there's no level cap, but very limited "prize" for leveling, why would I even want to level past a certain point? The returns suck, and if I'm just starting out, I'd be seriously discouraged by seeing people that are level 3991, while I'm level 1, getting ****ty awards for leveling up.

coreys
02-14-2010, 08:16 AM
And ya, diminishing returns are always a good route to go when you're dealing with numbers in an online game... if they're done right.

Yeah, I'm going to be careful with it, lots of tweaking and such.

Vima
02-14-2010, 06:58 PM
That's... a lot..... Sounds more like you guys are litteraly starting over?

02-14-2010, 07:12 PM
They've been starting over each month for the past two years.

coreys
02-14-2010, 07:13 PM
That's... a lot..... Sounds more like you guys are litteraly starting over?

Sort of...we started with a clean slate, idea-wise, but with a general idea of what we wanted. But as far as content go, we are keeping everything we already had other than scripts.

Unkownsoldier
02-16-2010, 06:30 PM
What about regular N-Pulse? Are you going to neglect that for this new project? It seems to be the case, and if history tells us anything, the same thing happened to, Delteria, Classic, Maloria, and I am sure others as well. So, anything to keep players happy right now?

Imperialistic
02-16-2010, 07:04 PM
What about regular N-Pulse? Are you going to neglect that for this new project? It seems to be the case, and if history tells us anything, the same thing happened to, Delteria, Classic, Maloria, and I am sure others as well. So, anything to keep players happy right now?

How many times are people going to ask that question?

NO, NO, AND NO, the main server will most likely be main focus, as Rebirth is just a development in progress.

coreys
02-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Er, we actually -are- focusing on Rebirth, as a whole, but we have staff whose entire job it is to work on the main server, and other staff who will help when not working on Rebirth.

Being a former Manager of Maloria I have no aim to go that route, I've seen first-hand what happens.

Unkownsoldier
02-16-2010, 07:29 PM
How many times are people going to ask that question?

NO, NO, AND NO, the main server will most likely be main focus, as Rebirth is just a development in progress.

That's obviously NOT the case lol. Since, there are rarely any updates. EVER.

Er, we actually -are- focusing on Rebirth, as a whole, but we have staff whose entire job it is to work on the main server, and other staff who will help when not working on Rebirth.

Being a former Manager of Maloria I have no aim to go that route, I've seen first-hand what happens.

Okay, but it just seems that the server is being neglected for a new project. Yet, I understand that because you want to have "your project" released. I am just saying, I know it will take longer, but you don't want to kill your old server while your making a new one.

dubby230
02-16-2010, 08:06 PM
The old server is already pretty much dead already. N-Pulse doesn't have enough developers right now to work on both the main server and Rebirth. Plus, there are ALOT of problems with the current main server due to lack of upkeep from past Management throughout the years. Its either waste time fixing the WHOLE main server, or try and release Rebirth asap while still releasing new smaller projects on the main server to keep the players entertained until Rebirth is completed.

coreys
02-17-2010, 02:08 AM
It's not really anything to do with "wanting to release our project" it's more that it's not realistic to try and work with the main server. And we could bring many more players in releasing Rebirth than trying to improve the things everyone has already seen.

02-17-2010, 03:08 AM
N-Pulse doesn't have enough developers right now

Are you aware that N-Pulse has the highest staff count of any other server (Which is saying a lot, as Era has 100+ players and a very small development team), and the staff-to-player ratio is around 80%? There's a ridiculous amount of ET's and GP's and FAQ's and "Operations" members than the playercount calls for. I've seen the server reach 30+ players in the recent past, but was disappointed to see 75% was RCs and staff members that are either off or on tag.

Not to mention the glitches. Setting your tag on sets your AP to 100. Taking it off doesn't bring your AP down, in most cases. It's annoying to see 75% of the server running around as saints. Also, by merely using some magical stupidity someone left in a typing minigame, I was able to glitch over 200 ECs in around 20 minutes.

All in all, things have to happen. Staff cuts, hiring real development staff, bug fixing, making the server presentable, and actually having work be done by development staff.

coreys
02-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Are you aware that N-Pulse has the highest staff count of any other server (Which is saying a lot, as Era has 100+ players and a very small development team), and the staff-to-player ratio is around 80%? There's a ridiculous amount of ET's and GP's and FAQ's and "Operations" members than the playercount calls for. I've seen the server reach 30+ players in the recent past, but was disappointed to see 75% was RCs and staff members that are either off or on tag.

I think you're a little behind the times :p
There's 3 ET's including the Chief, 4 PRs, and no "Operations" members (that was Changs dumb little thing).

There are three NATs (one I -just- hired), a few graphics members, and a few LATs. Most of the time our developmental staff do not stay active for very long, I am one of the few in the past few months that has continued to be active.

oo_jazz_oo
02-17-2010, 08:48 AM
Also, by merely using some magical stupidity someone left in a typing minigame, I was able to glitch over 200 ECs in around 20 minutes.

That glitch was fixed no more than 5 minutes after it was found.

About 5 months ago.

So, if you want to nitpick about glitches in the past, be my guest.

02-17-2010, 02:31 PM
I think you're a little behind the times
There's 3 ET's including the Chief, 4 PRs, and no "Operations" members (that was Changs dumb little thing).

There are three NATs (one I -just- hired), a few graphics members, and a few LATs. Most of the time our developmental staff do not stay active for very long, I am one of the few in the past few months that has continued to be active.

Yep, I'm behind the times.

That glitch was fixed no more than 5 minutes after it was found.

About 5 months ago.

So, if you want to nitpick about glitches in the past, be my guest.

The glitch was never fixed, you simply removed the prize for the minigame entirely because you were too lazy and/or weren't capable of fixing it, and then removed the minigame altogether a few weeks later. And my EC's were never removed. And I was the one who reported the glitch.

You guys can't take criticism without crying, either.

Unkownsoldier
02-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Yep, I'm behind the times.

The glitch was never fixed, you simply removed the prize for the minigame entirely because you were too lazy and/or weren't capable of fixing it, and then removed the minigame altogether a few weeks later. And my EC's were never removed. And I was the one who reported the glitch.

Well I think they are capable of fixing such things, but I guess they are focusing more on the future instead of what is happening right now, or even the things past. However, although that is acceptable, to maintain a server, a really good server, you have to be able to deal with the current server you have and not forgetting about it, while simotaniously building a new server.

coreys
02-17-2010, 06:51 PM

Wait, what? We're simply responding to you. :confused:
If I couldn't take criticism I wouldn't have created this thread. :)

Well I think they are capable of fixing such things, but I guess they are focusing more on the future instead of what is happening right now, or even the things past. However, although that is acceptable, to maintain a server, a really good server, you have to be able to deal with the current server you have and not forgetting about it, while simotaniously building a new server.

We will keep that in mind, thank you. Originally, when Kay resigned, me and Slik talked seriously about abandoning Rebirth. We were considering it for several reasons, that being one of them, but ultimately this is the most viable choice. There's not much left we can do with the main server as it is. The amount of work it would take to fix it up and do any real work on it to make it better would be about as much to create Rebirth as we've planned it so it would make much more sense to create something new and fresh than putting some polish on a broken, old world.

Most of our projects for the main server will coincide with Rebirth, however, showing off the tileset and things like that, and will eventually be used on Rebirth as well. We have a couple of those (fairly large projects, actually, that have been in development for a little while now), and hopefully will get more events and things of that nature.

DustyPorViva
02-17-2010, 07:48 PM
If N-Pulse's current server is getting step-child treatment to N-Pulse Reborn, maybe it should be taken off the serverlist like Delteria.

Unkownsoldier
02-17-2010, 08:34 PM
If N-Pulse's current server is getting step-child treatment to N-Pulse Reborn, maybe it should be taken off the serverlist like Delteria.

Thats what I thought would happen, like in one of my posts above. Yet, Coreys said he didn't want to go down the same path because Maloria did the same thing.

We will keep that in mind, thank you. Originally, when Kay resigned, me and Slik talked seriously about abandoning Rebirth. We were considering it for several reasons, that being one of them, but ultimately this is the most viable choice. There's not much left we can do with the main server as it is. The amount of work it would take to fix it up and do any real work on it to make it better would be about as much to create Rebirth as we've planned it so it would make much more sense to create something new and fresh than putting some polish on a broken, old world.

Most of our projects for the main server will coincide with Rebirth, however, showing off the tileset and things like that, and will eventually be used on Rebirth as well. We have a couple of those (fairly large projects, actually, that have been in development for a little while now), and hopefully will get more events and things of that nature.

Ya its all good, I understand you can't really add to the current server, I just want to point out the difference from Rebirth and N-Pulse as we know it. N-Pulse is in the here and the now. It's classic and people can play it. Rebirth is unplayable, its not here. Hint: Live in the moment, or plan for the future. Yet, don't do both. I support taking down the server that we have now to get Rebirth out faster.

DustyPorViva
02-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Thats what I thought would happen, like in one of my posts above. Yet, Coreys said he didn't want to go down the same path because Maloria did the same thing.
My problem with that it is has nothing to do with its current situation. If the server is dead, and it's getting the treatment of a dead server, it shouldn't be there whether they're scared to let it go or not.

Unkownsoldier
02-17-2010, 09:03 PM
My problem with that it is has nothing to do with its current situation. If the server is dead, and it's getting the treatment of a dead server, it shouldn't be there whether they're scared to let it go or not.

Thats something they are going to have to deal with. This is one of the oldest servers and I don't know if they want to finally take it down after its long great history. They would be the first generation to get rid of it. Who knows.

MysticX2X
02-17-2010, 10:15 PM
That is all fine and dandy, but isn't it about time N-Pulse goes UC? You guys arent making any updates to the main server atm, leaving it dull as it is. (No, making updates to rebirth isnt the same thing). Classic and Delteria were removed for the very same predicament N-pulse is in right now.

It's pretty pathetic to go on and see useless effects being spammed, staff setting their tags to (Blowjobs), everyone chasing the manager of UN around when he logs on, and being told to leave when I complain of no updates to the main server.

02-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Wait, what? We're simply responding to you. :confused:
If I couldn't take criticism I wouldn't have created this thread. :)

You're fine. It's other people, such as my first posts in this thread being deleted, and this brilliant post:

Thanks for your delightful opinion, we will take note of it.. and end up throwing it away later on.

I love how the Rebirth team doesn't listen to players; only themselves. Very clever. Let's see how well it does.. if it ever sees a release.

That is all fine and dandy, but isn't it about time N-Pulse goes UC? You guys arent making any updates to the main server atm, leaving it dull as it is. (No, making updates to rebirth isnt the same thing). Classic and Delteria were removed for the very same predicament N-pulse is in right now.

It's pretty pathetic to go on and see useless effects being spammed, staff setting their tags to (Blowjobs), everyone chasing the manager of UN around when he logs on, and being told to leave when I complain of no updates to the main server.

I completely agree with this post.

darkcloud667
02-18-2010, 12:48 AM
I fail to see how going UC helps servers to be honest.
Basically, going UC tells other people that you need help with development, BUT most of the developers don't want to pay for Graal that we all so know and love. Thus cutting out good developers, leaving the other developers who will multi for more than 2 servers. Typically, they have less time to devote to one server, leaving the servers looking for more staff.

You'd be surprised at the projects underway for the mainserver we have.
I know those who've waited for Rebirth have heard this all too much, but I must say it again.
PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE

kthx.

02-18-2010, 01:00 AM
Basically, going UC tells other people that you need help with development, BUT most of the developers don't want to pay for Graal that we all so know and love. Thus cutting out good developers, leaving the other developers who will multi for more than 2 servers. Typically, they have less time to devote to one server, leaving the servers looking for more staff.

I know those who've waited for Rebirth have heard this all too much, but I must say it again.
PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE

kthx.

N-Pulse is taking up a slot on Classic. It doesn't deserve it. Classic and Delteria had the same ordeal.

DustyPorViva
02-18-2010, 01:03 AM

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE

kthx.
Going UC has nothing to do with helping servers. Classic servers need to justify their slot, and a dead server isn't doing that. If they don't care about maintaining their position then they shouldn't have it.

If Rebirth is good, it should have no problem regaining a Classic slot when it's done.

coreys
02-18-2010, 01:34 AM

I want to be clear about this to everyone. We are making updates to the main server, and we will continue to do so as often as possible. All staff, including dev staff, will be encouraged to be active in some part on the main server.

I try to keep the "effects being spammed" down when I see them. The (Blowjobs) thing was taken care of (it was a one time thing). I never see anyone chasing the Manager around, but I do know that if you wouldn't piss and moan and be rude about the server every time you logged on you would not be told to leave.

I love how the Rebirth team doesn't listen to players; only themselves. Very clever. Let's see how well it does.. if it ever sees a release.

Imperialistic is not a staff member of N-Pulse and I'd like to keep it that way. x_x

SlikRick
02-18-2010, 07:45 AM
This thread has been closed due to the fact it has moved from being about our new rebirth plan to a remove N-Pulse thread. If you have anything to comment on the Rebirth plan feel free to do so on our forums.

http://www.npulse-graal.com