PDA

View Full Version : Mario Release Thread

DustyPorViva
02-04-2010, 02:40 AM
Here's the first release of Mario is Missing! While it's far from perfect, I think it's solid enough to be messed around with. Some fair warning though: I never scripted it with the intention of being efficient! Some may cringe at the code, and it probably is pretty embarrassing. However, I was more focused on getting things to actually work than to get them working well.

How to play? First, make sure you have GraalEditor.exe. If you don't, log online and find 'Install Packages' in the taskbar, then download the 'level editor'.

After you're sure that's done, unzip the folder into your Graal directory. It should create a folder called 'Mario'. Next, delete FILENAMECACHE.txt. This is very important, as Graal needs to know there are new files in its folder. After that is done, go into the Graal folder and start 'mario.bat'. Don't worry, it's nothing malicious! If you're worried, right click it and click edit(or open it in notepad), and it will show you the code.

It should start up just fine :D I recommend playing it in default window size, as that's what it's intended to be played in.

'S'(or sword) is to run, 'A'(or grab) is to jump. If you wish to enter editor mode, be sure to press F first to turn off the camera, or else the editor will be fixed on the focus of the last position of Mario. If that happens, just enter play mode, press F and then enter edit mode again.

Like I said, it's far from perfect, so expect bugs. Also, offline gmaps are severely limited when it comes to NPCs. NPCs are pretty much locked in the levels they are created in, so going past their levels can be buggy. Other than that, I'd more than enjoy hearing of any bugs you may encounter, as I wish to crush them all!

Some bugs I'm already aware of:
> Mario's jump sound is using Graal's. This was an oversight, as I had forgot to change the file name in the gani 'mario_big-jump.gani', and you can do that yourself if you'd like, the filename is: 'mario_jump.wav'.
> Turtles make no noise when they bump into walls. This is another oversight, as I had forgotten to append mario_ to the script when I renamed all the sounds.

DustyPorViva
02-04-2010, 02:41 AM
I will probably be posting all releases in this thread, by the by. For those curious about the project without downloading it, you can view all the progress made on it here:
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134257825

Also of note, I have only tested the method posted above on my computer... but given that I've got backup files floating all through my Graal folder it may have only worked because of that. Let me know if you have any problems.

fowlplay4
02-04-2010, 04:41 AM
Pretty sweet, I had to delete my tiledefsOffline.txt to get the tileset to work then everything worked great. In future releases perhaps make it a all-in-one package like the zombie game (so it's just extract anywhere, and run GraalEditor or your bat) that one guy made a few months ago.

DustyPorViva
02-04-2010, 04:46 AM
Pretty sweet, I had to delete my tiledefsOffline.txt to get the tileset to work then everything worked great. In future releases perhaps make it a all-in-one package like the zombie game (so it's just extract anywhere, and run GraalEditor or your bat) that one guy made a few months ago.
I was going to do that, but doing that vastly increases the file size as I have to include the graaleditor as well as most of the default files. Also, I didn't like the idea of masking Graal up as an independent program.

If push comes to shove, I can make the bat delete filenamecache and maybe fix tiledefs... I'm not sure why you were having any problems with tiledefs though.

fowlplay4
02-04-2010, 06:10 AM
Well it's not that much bigger. (2 MB)

So here's a viable option for those that don't want to mess around with their graal folder :)

Elk
02-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Very cool!

DustyPorViva
02-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Here's is the latest version. Not much in terms of updates. Added a functional HUD, death(only by timer, which I think is currently set to infinite[-1]), a 'hub' level to handle weapons, which would eventually be turned into an overworld of sorts, fixed turtle shells to fall into small pits, which means they function like their real Mario counterparts in block 'mazes'.

Only reason I'm uploading this is because I'm becoming more frustrated with the limitations and not sure how much farther I will go with this now. It doesn't look like I can create a functional game out of Graal, however.

Sky
02-06-2010, 07:59 AM
That has to be the coolest thing I've ever seen. =o

DustyPorViva
02-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Well, can always redo the graphics and make an iPhone server out of it! I don't think there are any good Mario clones on the iPhone!

Immolate
02-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Well, can always redo the graphics and make an iPhone server out of it! I don't think there are any good Mario clones on the iPhone!

Nice idea :)

Soala
02-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Mario online would kick ass !

EclipsedAngel
02-12-2010, 06:12 PM
It's a really amazing engine. Like I said, A platformer server would be amazing.

Engine
02-12-2010, 07:09 PM
It's a really amazing engine. Like I said, A platformer server would be amazing.

I couldn't see it having a good player base, unlesss it attracts people that play maplestory also.

Cloven
02-12-2010, 08:07 PM
I couldn't see it having a good player base, unlesss it attracts people that play maplestory also.

I'd really prefer to keep the maplestory crowd away. We have enough 'nutty-buddies' on Graal already. :\

Elk
02-12-2010, 09:00 PM

Love your sarcasm!

EclipsedAngel
02-13-2010, 12:59 AM

It could be like Zelda 2 or something.