PDA

View Full Version : It's been said probably a thousand times...

sssssssssss
11-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Lets make gs2 work offline!!!!!!
I know it may sound crazy, but with all this dev server downtime, it would be pretty cool to work and test stuff offline.

JUST A CRAZY IDEA!!

Unkownsoldier
11-03-2009, 10:36 PM
There is already ways to do this from what I know. I am pretty sure someone made something, but hey I am always wrong.

oo_jazz_oo
11-04-2009, 12:57 AM
The offline tools will never be updated. Its been said many many times...

Although there is an updated editor called Gonstruct, it doesnt feature script testing, or playing the level. So thats the best we have at the moment.

cbk1994
11-04-2009, 01:00 AM
There's no point in making GS2 work offline, regardless of how easy or not it may be. The level editor doesn't need to support GS2 when we have resources like the Testbed server available.

Hiro
11-04-2009, 01:24 AM
There's no point in making GS2 work offline, regardless of how easy or not it may be. The level editor doesn't need to support GS2 when we have resources like the Testbed server available.
:rolleyes:

DustyPorViva
11-04-2009, 01:26 AM
I find the testbed more of a substitute solution to a bigger problem.

sssssssssss
11-04-2009, 04:20 AM

Man, I'll get on testbed right now!
Oh wait, I can't, servers are down...
Hence the reason it would be nice for the offline editor to work with gs2.

Also, it took me almost 2-3 weeks to even get access to testbed. Another reason offline gs2 would be nice.

cbk1994
11-04-2009, 04:33 AM

Also, it took me almost 2-3 weeks to even get access to testbed. Another reason offline gs2 would be nice.
Servers are very rarely down.

I'm not saying that Testbed is flawless, but it's not worth Stefan wasting the time to make GS2 work in the level editor when we already have feasible solutions for people who don't want to buy a server.

salesman
11-04-2009, 04:48 AM
The problem is that you won't know about the Testbed Server unless someone tells you. It's not advertised at all...it should be under the Hosted tab imo

cbk1994
11-04-2009, 05:51 AM
The problem is that you won't know about the Testbed Server unless someone tells you. It's not advertised at all...it should be under the Hosted tab imo

I agree, or at least mentioned somewhere.

sssssssssss
11-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Theres other problems, like:
waiting weeks to get access to it still;
ip changes, waiting weeks to get back on it;
server crashes;
server downtime;
rules you may not want to abide by (yes I know you should, just saying);

Servers have been down how many times in the last 3 weeks? I get there are problems and fixes going on, but a SIMPLE solution is to have offline testing.

Another example would be people making a player house or guild house for a server. Are they all going to sit around and wait for access to testbed, then get on, just to make sure their lights work in gs2? LOL.

What kind of retarded game lets you make stuff offline that isn't supported online at all? Its stupid, and doesn't follow common sense whatsoever to have 1 unused, and probably soon, unsupported program language, then use another for online. Argue it all you want, its dumb.

cbk1994
11-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Theres other problems, like:
waiting weeks to get access to it still;
ip changes, waiting weeks to get back on it;
server crashes;
server downtime;
rules you may not want to abide by (yes I know you should, just saying);

Servers have been down how many times in the last 3 weeks? I get there are problems and fixes going on, but a SIMPLE solution is to have offline testing.

Another example would be people making a player house or guild house for a server. Are they all going to sit around and wait for access to testbed, then get on, just to make sure their lights work in gs2? LOL.

What kind of retarded game lets you make stuff offline that isn't supported online at all? Its stupid, and doesn't follow common sense whatsoever to have 1 unused, and probably soon, unsupported program language, then use another for online. Argue it all you want, its dumb.

I agree that it's stupid, but Stefan has more pressing issues. Testbed really is not that bad. Tig usually gets on as soon as you send him an AIM.

Liberated
11-04-2009, 10:37 AM
I think i know why offline editor hasn't been updated,
People can now not make a proper server offline, thus rent one, this give them money.
If people could make servers offline, they would do most of the work offline, then upload it, maybe hit classic tab right away, and this way they would earn less money.

Admins
11-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Editor and game has been separated mainly for security reasons. For making the editing easier it is still planned to have all the tools as online script.

fowlplay4
11-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Editor and game has been separated mainly for security reasons. For making the editing easier it is still planned to have all the tools as online script.

Is it possible for GS2 scripts to be stored in the offline client in their compiled form?

I.e: The level editor, if it's a script could have a level editor button available before they login anywhere which would open the level editor script instead of having to log on into a server to use the tool.

Liberated
11-04-2009, 08:06 PM

This means the level editor?

Demisis_P2P
11-04-2009, 09:06 PM
This means the level editor?
Scripted tile editors already exist but they're already outdated (no tile layers, etc.).
I guess the plan is to make a scripted gani editor as well.

DustyPorViva
11-04-2009, 09:16 PM
I just don't like how the argument is "we plan to have scripted tools" and no one has seen them in how many years?

Point: We have no development tools, Stefan! Scripted or otherwise!

sssssssssss
11-06-2009, 01:45 AM
I was just saying its more convient to have the ability to do, at the least, level scripts in the offline level editor. If all I am is a lat, i dont need a dbnpc, cnpc, or wnpc now do i? i just need gs2 to work in the offline editor to make levels, thats pretty much it, at least most of the time.

So with how many guild houses, player houses, and lats there are on this game, its pretty dumb to say something like this is unnecessary and to go get on testbed as an only option.

vexx1000
11-06-2009, 02:03 AM
When ever i send tig an aim he never responds :/

sssssssssss
11-06-2009, 05:28 AM
Just to note, is also retarded for any "game" or "product" to have anything on it that is useless, but can still be done, such as gs1, when it is supposed to be obsolete.

cbk1994
11-06-2009, 05:41 AM
Just to note, is also retarded for any "game" or "product" to have anything on it that is useless, but can still be done, such as gs1, when it is supposed to be obsolete.

I agree, I'm all for completely disabling GS1 (via server options, of course)... how are we ever supposed to phase it out when it's still possible for ignorant level makers (etc) to place GS1 lights, chairs, and other scripts?

Demisis_P2P
11-06-2009, 07:29 AM
I agree, I'm all for completely disabling GS1 (via server options, of course)... how are we ever supposed to phase it out when it's still possible for ignorant level makers (etc) to place GS1 lights, chairs, and other scripts?

Can you imagine having to go back and edit every single GS1 npc or light effect in each level?
(I guess you guys are already kind of doing this on Era Dev though huh?)

fowlplay4
11-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Can you imagine having to go back and edit every single GS1 npc or light effect in each level?
(I guess you guys are already kind of doing this on Era Dev though huh?)

I can, it'd be a pretty sweet script.

Draenin
11-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Stefan, could you at least update the language help document in graaleditor? I'm talking about the ones I've attached below. They contain nothing but info on programming in GS1.

Also, a feature like Gonstruct's which parses the scripting and color-codes it would be nice. Same for its features like quickly changing tilesets and so forth. And better support for quickly loading whole gmaps would be nice too.

Crono
11-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Stefan, could you at least update the language help document in graaleditor? I'm talking about the ones I've attached below. They contain nothing but info on programming in GS1.

nope, have the GST do it~

Hiro
11-17-2009, 04:41 PM
nope, have the GST do it~i think you mean GDT~

Crono
11-17-2009, 04:53 PM
i think you mean GDT~

o rite~

fowlplay4
11-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Well here's one half.. Feel free to build on to it and so on. The commands, was pretty much converted on the gBible already I believe.

Liberated
11-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Well here's one half.. Feel free to build on to it and so on. The commands, was pretty much converted on the gBible already I believe.

Thanks, just what i need for when the wiki is down.

Tigairius
11-17-2009, 08:03 PM
It would be nice to have GS2 offline, I agree.

EclipsedAngel
11-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Seriously.

sssssssssss
11-19-2009, 07:49 AM
Well aparently this is an important feature to those of us that still actually play this game. Hope stefan gets this and implements it in the next version. :(

KrimsonSky
11-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Wow, this goes to show what All of you know.. lol .. there is already a program [I have been using for nearly 2 years now] that allows you to do such tasks / work offline/ test scripts levels etc. PM me for more info.

KrimsonSky
11-19-2009, 08:40 PM
...The level editor doesn't need to support GS2 when we have resources like the Testbed server available.

Yes, that is true and I would agree, but there is also a alternative program that already allows to use GS2 offline and work in your personal space.
=/

But I get your point.

cyan3
11-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Yes, that is true and I would agree, but there is also a alternative program that already allows to use GS2 offline and work in your personal space.
=/

But I get your point.

I assume you are talking about Gonstruct? Infact Gonstruct doesn't support GS2 it only has the syntax highlighting and doesn't show any errors or give feedback on your coding. Also without the ability to play any of the levels within Gonstruct you can't run the scripts without rc on a graal server. Scripting wise Gonstruct is exactly the same as a normal text editor with support for GS2 syntax.

KrimsonSky
11-19-2009, 08:56 PM
I assume you are talking about Gonstruct? Infact Gonstruct doesn't support GS2 it only has the syntax highlighting and doesn't show any errors or give feedback on your coding. Also without the ability to play any of the levels within Gonstruct you can't run the scripts without rc on a graal server. Scripting wise Gonstruct is exactly the same as a normal text editor with support for GS2 syntax.

Too bad I'm not talking about "Gonstruct".... Lol...

cyan3
11-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Too bad I'm not talking about "Gonstruct".... Lol...

Even if it is isn't the software wouldn't be able to run the code because you need an NPC Server to do that.

KrimsonSky
11-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Even if it is isn't the software wouldn't be able to run the code because you need an NPC Server to do that.

Really? Because [like i said up there ^] I have been using this program for almost 2 years now, lol ...

How are you going to sit here and tell me NO when I still use it today...

cyan3
11-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Really? Because [like i said up there ^] I have been using this program for almost 2 years now, lol ...

How are you going to sit here and tell me NO when I still use it today...

Alright, what is this software called?

Tigairius
11-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Just to point it out there:

I highly recommend no one take KrimsonSky up on his offer until the software has been revealed. It is possibly a trojan that could infect your computer because none of the avid Graal developers have heard of such a tool, and if there were such a tool, it would have been revealed by now.

KrimsonSky
11-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Just to point it out there:

[B] because none of the avid Graal developers have heard of such a tool, and if there were such a tool, it would have been revealed by now.

Never said it was a tool :3

Its a program that HAS the Graal tools, to make your own OFFLINE server.

So before you start bashing me, consult with me first. tyvm

KrimsonSky
11-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Alright, what is this software called?
PM me for more info.

There is a reason for that.

cbk1994
11-19-2009, 11:05 PM

Graal Reborn doesn't support GS2 :noob:.

Tigairius
11-19-2009, 11:05 PM

What you're thinking of doesn't support GS2.

KrimsonSky
11-20-2009, 05:15 AM
Then why am I able to have made my own little 'personal' "Era" Type server ? I'm telling you , this is the same as making a server, just no one else can access it =/ I have been using it for awhile now... I will make a video later tonight to show you guys ..

Imperialistic
11-20-2009, 05:26 AM
Then why am I able to have made my own little 'personal' "Era" Type server ? I'm telling you , this is the same as making a server, just no one else can access it =/ I have been using it for awhile now... I will make a video later tonight to show you guys ..

GS1 != GS2

I highly doubt any program will be able show you the feedback on your script, if it's not based on GraalScript which IS a GraalOnline language.

sssssssssss
11-20-2009, 05:28 AM
Lol, video? Just say the program name, there's no rule against someone making a program that goes along with graal to better the game. Especially when it's not effecting anything online at all, and only offline use.

Doubt it's true, and youre the only person out of how many that have played graal in the last 2 years that knows about this "special" program? Gimme a break.

cbk1994
11-20-2009, 05:32 AM
Krimson clearly is either:

Making stuff up, or
has no idea what he's talking about.

Actually, ignore that. Why couldn't he have a program that lets him create entire servers in GS2, even though not a single other person has ever heard of it :rolleyes:.

salesman
11-20-2009, 05:40 AM
I have heard of it.
lol

fowlplay4
11-20-2009, 05:43 AM
I have heard of it.

Yeah me too, why are they so out of the loop?

Personally I always had a feeling that if you used a memory editor to change your level in the Graal client with GS2 before they tossed out the offline component, that you'd be able to run GS2 but I imagine there's a reason why it's not true.

KrimsonSky
11-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Hey, I was just trying to help you guys out & all. But everyones like "oh, since I haven't heard of it, It's not true" give me a break >=[. I offered to send the html to though who were curious.

fowlplay4
11-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Hey, I was just trying to help you guys out & all. But everyones like "oh, since I haven't heard of it, It's not true" give me a break >=[. I offered to send the html to though who were curious.

I sent you a PM, you failed to deliver.

sssssssssss
11-21-2009, 07:02 AM
We're all curious dude, just post it.

sssssssssss
11-24-2009, 06:05 AM
exactly....

Draenin
11-24-2009, 11:13 PM
I don't understand why testing for GS2 is impossible to do offline when it's very possible to test GS1 instead.

If Graal's level editor can run GS1 without without needing a server to interact with, why couldn't it be updated to do the same with GS2?

Stefan, you say security issues arise with that, but if you're aware of what those issues are, why can't they be patched up before releasing a new official version of the editor?

Dnegel
11-24-2009, 11:41 PM
I don't understand why testing for GS2 is impossible to do offline when it's very possible to test GS1 instead.

If Graal's level editor can run GS1 without without needing a server to interact with, why couldn't it be updated to do the same with GS2?

Stefan, you say security issues arise with that, but if you're aware of what those issues are, why can't they be patched up before releasing a new official version of the editor?

I agree, GS2 should be in the Offline Level Editor, would help many people. :cool:

cbk1994
11-24-2009, 11:56 PM
would help many people

Not really. All it would be useful for are things like light effects, past that, everything else is either going to be pointless to test in the level editor, or require an NPC-server.

WhiteDragon
11-25-2009, 12:07 AM
Not really. All it would be useful for are things like light effects, past that, everything else is either going to be pointless to test in the level editor, or require an NPC-server.
A major benefit of the level editor was that people could be introduced to GS, which prepped them for becoming staff on a server.

However, GS is now worthless, and we no longer have a substitute tool to introduce people to GS2.

I can see a lot of people not even bothering trying to "become a scripter" on a server to learn, because there is such a large wall in the way.
It's much more fun and encouraging if you can just start typing code.

Dnegel
11-25-2009, 08:13 PM
:blush:Not really. All it would be useful for are things like light effects, past that, everything else is either going to be pointless to test in the level editor, or require an NPC-server.

Maybe, but still... People wants many options when they dev, so they can create much interesting stuff. And yes it may not be that important, but it been nice to have if a server was down. :blush:

sssssssssss
11-26-2009, 01:46 AM
Also, as I stated before, there are a LOT more lats on graal than anything else, developers that would need only
... things like light effects...

Granted, you can go much farther with latting, but someone who could even make all the levels for a server offline, in it's simplicity, then upload them after purchasing a server, would probably like this. It also causes problems with things like tileset changes offline while making levels, some lats forget to take out that gs1 coding, then the nats and higher have to go through levels to make sure theyre out. Can be quite annoying after a while. And I know a response would be make sure they take them out, but like I said, people forget.

Also, as stated above, I would love to experiment with lights and such offline, in downtime, without having to connect to Armageddon and upload, keep trying it out, reupload, ect.

Its logical to have gs2 offline. period.

cbk1994
11-26-2009, 02:14 AM
Its logical to have gs2 offline. period.

Logic is not definite. It depends on how you look at it.

There is no point in making GS2 work offline, from either my perspective, or even Stefan's perspective.

From mine: There are major problems with Graal, including the scripting engine and client, and I'd rather see those fixed than see a rarely-used feature be added that benefits a minority of people in a small way.

From Stefan's perspective: My time is better spent updating Graal since the players already have access to the Testbed server for learning to script, which even allows NPC-server usage. Plus,

someone [...] could even make all the levels for a server offline [...] then upload them after purchasing a server
, which causes me to lose money.

Granted, there are valid arguments, which you've pointed out, for why GS2 should work offline. However, there are equally as valid counterarguments, such as time would be better spent simply adding a server option to disable GS1 entirely, which has been suggested many times before.

sssssssssss
11-26-2009, 02:55 AM
than see a rarely-used feature be added that benefits a minority of people in a small way.

Really? so there must not be any player houses, guild houses, player submitted levels, ect, that arn't staff and have access to a server since gs2 came out, eh? It's by far rarely used, you need to think a bit more first.

From Stefan's perspective: My time is better spent updating Graal since the players already have access to the Testbed server for learning to script, which even allows NPC-server usage. Plus,

This has been brough up early in the post already, but for your convience I will quote all the people who have problems with testbed. I still have yet to have chompy or someone reset My IP to get back on it, from like 4 months ago...
I find the testbed more of a substitute solution to a bigger problem.

When ever i send tig an aim he never responds :/

And all those above are JUST from this thread, can't imagine how many other people have problems with it.

which causes me to lose money.

That's just low and pathetic that that would even be said where we, the people who pay for this stuff, are looking. If money is the issue, its completely inappropriate and unprofessional, should be at least a tiny bit professional if you are "making money" off this, and should be worried about what the "customer" is wanting, not what staff does and doesn't feel like doing. Gee, I wonder why graal is going down the toilet?

Theres also stupid moves like I've stated before, where a company would even allow something obsolete to be a part of the product, such as gs1 offline, and its not allowed online at all anymore. Why have something that is useless on the product at all? It's misleading, not needed, and horrible product quality to have that. The graal community could learn easier w/o waiting to get on testbed, like me waiting 4 months now, if they had could learn gs2 by starting out offline, making lights, level npcs, ect, A LOT LIKE THE STUFF LATS NEED.

There's enough support in this thread to show that a gs2 offline editor would be helpful to the graal community. Again, logical.