PDA

View Full Version : Magic?


freddyfox
09-24-2001, 02:35 AM
Huh boy.

Anyways, what would you think if magic was added to 2001?

Let's say the player has to do some complicated quest to get the ability to use magic. Then, to get spells, well, I made a little system for that.


To get, for example, a fire based spell, you'd get one pearl and one durby, and bring them to the magic shop. After giving him the durby and the pearl, he'll give you the words for the magic spell. Then, you go over to a table and "scribe" them, sort of like using the rolling pin on the dough. (Except with a paper and a pencil.) Once you've finished scribing the words down, you'd get the finished spell scroll.

To cast a spell, you simply say the words outloud (I.E: "Akazm Forkan") and then use the spell scroll with the D key. Then, the spell would sap some Magic Power or a Reagant, and would cast.

Thoughts?

BruceLee2000
09-24-2001, 02:40 AM
why was magic never put on [email protected] yes i want magic :MAGICENDOWED:

Tyhm
09-24-2001, 03:19 AM
I don't know, and I don't know if we're ever going to get it at this rate...for one, playermp is server side so we can't edit it on a free server, for two, Geshtar's fallen off the world...

milotheman
09-24-2001, 03:23 AM
thym is close to his 1337 post

Butz
09-24-2001, 04:50 AM
Hmm...Magic would be cool, but maybe instead of having to shout the words out, you just use the item, but have a charge time...
(Either a set time that the spell needs to charge before releasing, or a spell that becomes more powerful depending on how long you charge it, either way, getting hit would either cancel the spell, or reduce the charge time significantly...) That way you could balance out spellcasters against fighters....

WindStar
09-24-2001, 05:19 AM
Yeah! magic would be sweet! the scroll writeing would be good but mabie add a spell book! :D have it hold 1-10 of them so you can just read them from the book and not rescribe those 1-10 spells and have the book cost a lot of monies like 200g-500g

SkooL
09-24-2001, 05:25 AM
It would be cool, but it would be mainly used to player kill.

Tyhm
09-24-2001, 08:20 AM
Simple. Don't make any spells that can hit players. Problem solved.
Make a haste spell, a flying spell, a burn-NPC spell...

freddyfox
09-24-2001, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Tyhm
Simple. Don't make any spells that can hit players. Problem solved.
Make a haste spell, a flying spell, a burn-NPC spell...

Those spells sound good. An ice barrier that could block arrows might be a nice spell as well. We could add spells, just make them not be able to hit players.

Making some spells that could hit baddies would be good. I'm pretty sure they're scriptable so that they can only hit baddies and not players.

WindStar
09-24-2001, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Tyhm
Simple. Don't make any spells that can hit players. Problem solved.
Make a haste spell, a flying spell, a burn-NPC spell...
You could make a healing spell but then agein there is food but say you could use it bomy or human? or add a shapeshifting spell! or even a teleport (no more unsticking or running) lol i dont know thym's ideas are good :)

Brady2
09-24-2001, 10:07 AM
Jadis:

Reagants and incantations are nice because I love Ultima series.

Juron Pilo
09-25-2001, 11:11 AM
I've commented about this several times although usually buried under 100 other bigger complaints... total lack of npc weapons in general for one... lost cause you know... *sighs*.... what I like about spell casting is that it would add a little strategy to a rather mundane fighting system.

crazyforgirls
09-27-2001, 05:20 AM
What about a transformation spell where you can change into a person or bomy like if your a person you could take the shape of anything and same if a bomy plus you could transform from a bomy to a human and vice versa

Falcor
09-27-2001, 07:38 AM
Free servers presumably can edit MP client side. Its just that p2P server cant.

Falcor
09-27-2001, 07:39 AM
Just like Server.flags are nt sent to the client on P2P servers but it is on Regular servers.

Merlin
09-27-2001, 08:32 AM
tyhm,
why not just use showstats to hide the current mp bar and use showimg to make a new one with indivudal client strings, like a health bar, in other words, just rescript mp.

Tyhm
09-27-2001, 09:59 AM
Well obviously, but it's bound to lag more than playermp

KrAnKyP2P
09-27-2001, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by freddyfox
Huh boy.

Anyways, what would you think if magic was added to 2001?

Let's say the player has to do some complicated quest to get the ability to use magic. Then, to get spells, well, I made a little system for that.


To get, for example, a fire based spell, you'd get one pearl and one durby, and bring them to the magic shop. After giving him the durby and the pearl, he'll give you the words for the magic spell. Then, you go over to a table and "scribe" them, sort of like using the rolling pin on the dough. (Except with a paper and a pencil.) Once you've finished scribing the words down, you'd get the finished spell scroll.

To cast a spell, you simply say the words outloud (I.E: "Akazm Forkan") and then use the spell scroll with the D key. Then, the spell would sap some Magic Power or a Reagant, and would cast.

Thoughts?
How About When u Push D it says the words for you then it casts the spell and the scroll destroys ...

KrAnKyP2P
09-27-2001, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by freddyfox


Those spells sound good. An ice barrier that could block arrows might be a nice spell as well. We could add spells, just make them not be able to hit players.

Making some spells that could hit baddies would be good. I'm pretty sure they're scriptable so that they can only hit baddies and not players.
How about a barrier that blocks all attacks for a short time ?? Even Sword Attacks :eek:

SagaTCN
09-28-2001, 11:12 AM
if free servers can't edit playermp


what's up with all the magic junk on free servers?

haha


I don't understand.


it's only 1 extra string. yeah big deal.

abcd9876
09-28-2001, 09:29 PM
I remember when about a year ago when stuff on classic started to go down for "unknown" reasons, people started to say that the LATs aren't doing anything yet cause they are working on bringing magic back to Graal =\

Falcor
09-29-2001, 09:16 AM
You dont get it. FREE SERVER CAN EDIT MP!!!! =_=

Tyhm
09-29-2001, 10:06 AM
...
If you say so.

SagaTCN
09-30-2001, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by Tyhm
...
If you say so.


:) Tyhm you are too out of touch with the world around you.

Free servers can edit playermp.

do it all the time.

Maybe your just getting that idea since classic hasn't had magic in 2 years or so. well since before I started anyway.

Tyhm
09-30-2001, 05:45 AM
Chimp tried it and failed, even with all the safeties off.

Falcor
09-30-2001, 06:29 AM
Maybe Classic is special

SagaTCN
10-01-2001, 05:36 AM
hmm.. it may very well be


are you sure you had magicendowed set?

doesn't the system npc prohibit magic unless that's set in classic.

Tyhm
10-01-2001, 08:26 AM
Why do you think I specified he had all the safeties off?

everandom
10-01-2001, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by KrAnKyP2P

How About When u Push D it says the words for you then it casts the spell and the scroll destroys ...

why don't player scribes them into the scroll and then they would bring the scrolls (eg.limited up to 3 per person at a time) and they would use the scroll to cast the spell, when they used it, it will be destroyed so no MP system needed (i don't know about p2p MP thingy)

SagaTCN
10-01-2001, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Tyhm
Why do you think I specified he had all the safeties off?

Oh sorry

Kaimetsu
10-01-2001, 11:03 PM
If you used a string to handle the player's mp then it would be no different to making playermp clientside-editable. So... I'd talk to Stefan about it. If Classic is weird then it probably shouldn't be.

Darkspector
10-03-2001, 07:06 AM
Heres an idea on how to get magic to work *i haven't read the hole thread but still i have a magic idea* you get a scrolls and a book. To cast a spell first you pull up the magic ring* and pull out your book wich is like the basket, hats, and trading item. The spells would mostly be like speed, teleport back to some where you've been (some place disabled), Shield, Hide (can't move), Transform into a bird/horse/fish, Rain decrease the amonth you have to water for a bit, Lure brings fish near, an attack spell and, a beattle or some dumb thing that you cast on another you lose alot of heath for this one last short


*magic ring is where you draw power from also use to meditate and gain magic.

Note: this is a rough draft of the ring

toad1413
10-03-2001, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Darkspector
Heres an idea on how to get magic to work *i haven't read the hole thread but still i have a magic idea* you get a scrolls and a book. To cast a spell first you pull up the magic ring* and pull out your book wich is like the basket, hats, and trading item. The spells would mostly be like speed, teleport back to some where you've been (some place disabled), Shield, Hide (can't move), Transform into a bird/horse/fish, Rain decrease the amonth you have to water for a bit, Lure brings fish near, an attack spell and, a beattle or some dumb thing that you cast on another you lose alot of heath for this one last short


*magic ring is where you draw power from also use to meditate and gain magic.

Note: this is a rough draft of the ring

I like some of those ideas, like the horse one and the lure one.

shayden
10-04-2001, 05:46 PM
Tarns: Yes i think magic would be cool, id like it if they were to add it back in to the Classic (since thats the only one i can play) or at least get my head working... ive been waiting over 3 months for it! >.<

Sep3kP2P
10-04-2001, 10:49 PM
im confused, are some people thinking you CANT use mp on free servers? just look at delteria, all the weapons take mp, and why would a command be enabled on free servers but not p2p ones, i am confused here...

Kaimetsu
10-04-2001, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Sep3kP2P
im confused, are some people thinking you CANT use mp on free servers? just look at delteria, all the weapons take mp, and why would a command be enabled on free servers but not p2p ones, i am confused here...

Example: playermp is a variable that, on non-P2P servers, can be used to edit the player's mp from the clientside. This is very insecure. With the NPC Server, this information is stored on the server and can only be changed by serverside NPCs. This makes the possibility of hacking a full magic bar much smaller.

Sep3kP2P
10-05-2001, 01:34 AM
how is that possible offline?

Kaimetsu
10-05-2001, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Sep3kP2P
how is that possible offline?

What are you talking about? Who said anything about offline?

Xythar
10-05-2001, 08:05 PM
*Doesn't like the idea of no offensive spells*

Xythar
10-05-2001, 08:06 PM
*Or, for that matter, one time use spells.*

Sep3kP2P
10-05-2001, 10:41 PM
gah i messed up, i meant how is it possible on a server without npc server?

Butz
10-06-2001, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Sep3kP2P
gah i messed up, i meant how is it possible on a server without npc server?
The same way it's always been possible, he's just saying that it's not secure on a non NPC Server because it's clientside instead of serverside, and can be easily changed by hacking, or NPC weapons.

The variable for Magic Points is still playermp