PDA

View Full Version : Do some new things for Graal

G_yoshi
04-11-2001, 04:50 AM
I think graal should support more than just midis and mp3 for its music....because i think midis suck.........and mp3 are too large to download.......mods are much better......they are small.....and they sound real good....but i have never found a driver for windows media player that will play .mod, .s3m, .it, and .xm......for me its easier to find mods.......just goto modarchive.com........they have loads of module music.......or rpglair.com.....lots of mod music based on music from console rpgs.

Another idea would be to have Graal Shop support sprite flipping/mirroring.......then the body and head files could be smaller.....unless you wanted a head or body to have 2 different sides (left and right view).

I would also suggest .spc.......but that wouldnt happen......but i still have 1 question regarding .spc format......i do have a media player driver to play .spc......but for some reason......graal forces a 48second tag on the file......Why does it do that?

FatherDante
04-11-2001, 11:18 AM
Yoshi, that would be nice, but nobody involved in Graal knows how to make music in those formats- and if we just took ones that already existed, that would just be lame.

Especially SPCs! I mean, come on, are you asking to be sued?

:D I'd like better music myself, I love listening to spcs, but they're not coming to graal!

Admins
04-11-2001, 12:04 PM
Mediaplayer is not a good choice (its from MS...)
For playing music you can use winamp
(graal options: 'use winamp for music') then
you can play mods and other music formats.

Admins
04-11-2001, 12:07 PM
Flipping/Mirroring/Rotation is possible when
using the 3D engine that is already used for
the light effects, but not all people will see it
so it couldn't be used for important things

With normal drawing commands it wouldn't
be possible to do flipping/mirroring because
most cards doesn't support it in hardware.

guyzer1
04-11-2001, 12:36 PM
how bout waves they dont degrade like mp3s do

G_yoshi
04-11-2001, 12:50 PM
My problem with winamp is, is that it wont repeat the song specified.......and yes, Dante, i realize using spc could cause a lawsuit......i was just wondering why graal forced a 48sec tag on them when i had graal load one........

For the most part......tracking mods is no different than tracking midis......except, you get to pick what samples you want to use more specifically.......making any wav file an instrument......ModPlug Tracker is a good one for making various mods.........and like I said.....www.modarchive.com is the best place to go to get original mods.......they LOTS of mods........or could be a way to have graal use the modplug browser plugin........ All i would like is some better music support........cause i can make winamp play mods.....but it wont repeat them........actually....i can make modplug player emulate winamp....and have modplug play mods.....but they wont repeat........they just play straight through

Admins
04-12-2001, 01:09 PM
hmmm May be you need to make
a one-song-playlist to get it repeated

kyle0654
04-12-2001, 01:15 PM
why don't you use windows media 8? at 64k it's like CD-quality and real small size compared to mp3s...and you can play it on windows media player and winamp...

G_yoshi
04-12-2001, 02:19 PM
I would download all that new stuff........but it takes too long.........does anyone know where i could find a mod driver for media player? I know that one at least has to exist....even if it may be crappy.......but having it is better than not having it.......cause i have a lot of nice mods that would go real well with the levels im working on........btw......making winamp load a mod through graal....automatically creates a playlist......I mean it will repeat the mod......cause it sets the timer tag on it to like 15min or something like that......and it uses the loops defined in the mod as it plays......If i have ModPlug player emulate winamp......it will play straight through the mod and not repeat (ModPlug player has playback than winamp does for mods)