PDA

View Full Version : Real Time Map Updating

G_yoshi
09-06-2001, 10:02 PM
This idea just came to mind while I was working on my pw because I wanted to see how the land would look after I changed it, but I don't want to have to go through the time to get a new map generated. So I was thinking, maybe there could be a way to do real time map updating....that way, if I change the shape of the land, I could push a key to see the map. I think it also would be good to have a key that you press to see the map while you are in the editor so that you can see how it looks before you play the level.

SkooL
09-07-2001, 12:15 AM
I don't think that would be possible. It would still take the same amount of time to get the updated map. Unless you could specify which levels to update on the map...

G_yoshi
09-07-2001, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by SkooL
I don't think that would be possible. It would still take the same amount of time to get the updated map. Unless you could specify which levels to update on the map...

that would be what I am talking about. using setmap....you load into memory the map image and the map properties associated with it (map textfile). All that graal would have to do is re-write to the image in the same palette. It would do it for the current level you are on.

Jerom
09-07-2001, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by G_yoshi

that would be what I am talking about. using setmap....you load into memory the map image and the map properties associated with it (map textfile). All that graal would have to do is re-write to the image in the same palette. It would do it for the current level you are on.
To help reduce lag, load every 5 minutes of online time, AND load when loading into the server.
G_Yoshi, the ezboard site wouldn't let me get an account because their servers are messed up or something.

Tyhm
09-07-2001, 08:44 AM
I think the old way of including the map with the Heavy Download (the EXE) would work fine...
We, the LAT Admins of the various servers, need a way to send our maps to like the bigfiles/thisserver folder of the downloads mirror...
So like, say the CC map changes, I can connect to ftp://199.199.199.199/ or whatever as Classic and upload the map directly to the Classic Maps folder: the FTP account Classic only has access to the maps in that folder, and all players automatically get updated maps every time they rerun setup.exe.

Add in an automatic "There has been a new version released, would you like to run the setup program? [Yes] [No]" popup when you start Graal and the dates don't match up for current offline version/current online version....