Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 02:58 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
GC Studio Events

As some may be aware, the new GC Studios were made public a couple of weeks ago, its new location being the level above level14/bank & burger refuge. The first studio event, Drunken Stupor/Make Your Luck has also now been made public.

While it is new and improved, and can be publicly hosted by any player likewise to the past, the new controls have been made in such a way that will allow them to be easily applied to most, if not all other single player events in future.

As said previously, I hope to publish specific plans regarding events, however I hoped to do so on a separate Classic specific forum, which is now just being delayed by a small technical hitch.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:32 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Atleast the location is at a better spot.

Also:

Quote:
Threads/posts which promote the use/consumption of alcohol or drugs will not be allowed, as well as other topics not necessarily suited for a younger audience such as sexuality or sexual involvement. Remember that Graal's user base consists a lot of young teenagers, and such subjects should not be discussed here.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:36 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
I don't like the location of the studios, I would prefer a larger castle type level north of the city. The outside is very misleading and does not fit.

As for your progress, I am very happy. I remember a time when there wasn't GCs and all events were player hosted. Allowing players to host gets back to Classic's roots.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:39 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
@Crono
Some simple editting could turn it into an anti-alcohol bit.
Go for it mike, go!

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:42 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Threads/posts which promote the use/consumption of alcohol or drugs will not be allowed, as well as other topics not necessarily suited for a younger audience such as sexuality or sexual involvement. Remember that Graal's user base consists a lot of young teenagers, and such subjects should not be discussed here.
If this thread were to be in jeopardy due to this rule, I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry. Promoting the real life use of alcohol via conversation or photographic flaunting is a lot different to promoting harmless consumption of a (cartoon style) pixel beverage in a game, towards purposes of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
I don't like the location of the studios, I would prefer a larger castle type level north of the city. The outside is very misleading and does not fit.
I don't think a large castle type building would fit along side the Graal City Castle within the current map, and we do not plan to expand the map for a while yet, which would also not be towards the north.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:47 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
Well the building does not really match the other buildings and looks extremely out of place. It's almost UN styled.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:17 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKan View Post
Well the building does not really match the other buildings
It never did, and was always supposed to stand out as something different. Just because the outside is not a traditional simplistic level does not mean it is a UN style level. If you mean this on the basis of it not being medieval, Classic is not strictly medieval.

Quote:
It's almost UN styled
New Studios inside:

Old Studios inside:

This did stand out as something different at the time of the Studios first incarnation, but not after all these years of this type of tiling being adopted as the common style across almost all of Graal. I recall Night saying he wanted to redo the studios.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:13 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
It never did, and was always supposed to stand out as something different. Just because the outside is not a traditional simplistic level does not mean it is a UN style level. If you mean this on the basis of it not being medieval, Classic is not strictly medieval.

New Studios inside:

Old Studios inside:

This did stand out as something different at the time of the Studios first incarnation, but not after all these years of this type of tiling being adopted as the common style across almost all of Graal. I recall Night saying he wanted to redo the studios.
It certainly looks better than the old image, but I was mainly referring to the outside: the level just doesn't seem right to me. It may have something to do with the hedges.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:24 AM
Banned
Quote:
It certainly looks better than the old image, but I was mainly referring to the outside: the level just doesn't seem right to me. It may have something to do with the hedges.
I'm not sure how hedges could be interpreted as being UN style above a metallic/stone structure, but the reason they're used is actually a testament to what was in this location throughout the post NPC-Server years:

Old 03-09-2012, 03:55 AM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็W̟͗̔̾ h̊ͨ̽ͨ҉̞̲̲̬̖̯a͔̬̗̣͗̒̾̾̎ͪ͛̕t̮̖̘̹͇͊ͥ̑ͬ̊̚'̺̩ͣ͆̾̾ͨͤ͌s̸̫ ͓̲̼ ̣̋̉̎̈́͗ͪ́g̺̫ͦ͋ó̞͈̟̳̓ḯ̒ͮͅn͚̝̱̳͙͎̞̿͆̄̇̚̕g̓͊͛͗ͦ̊ͫ҉͍̦ ̥͔̭̙ ̫̯̙͍̤̼̩ͣ̆͛́ͨ̒o̺̳̰͒̑n̩̖̪͖̫̣͗̈́ ̜͙̫̼̺̑͘h̡̲͚̮͔́ͪ̆̽e̢̟͓͔̖r̛̟̘̰̝̻e̥?̭̤̤̼ ͔̱̏ͥ͊͒̔̉͝ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ็็็็

My Albums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixmad
This forums is going worst each day.

Last edited by Galdor; 03-10-2012 at 02:14 AM..
Old 03-09-2012, 04:02 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
No, MattKan is absolutely right on this. It is one thing to try and make something stand out, it is another thing to make something that clashes. This is what I meant in my previous post. The GC studios just doesn't look like it should be there. Basically the GC studio exterior is equivalent to a hot pink and you're trying to put it on a painting of green rolling hills and saying it is an improvement.

Since you're all for modern design here is my suggestions. I always pictured something like this to resemble a movie set within a large warehouse. Maybe a reception area leading into a large area with moveable walls that pieced differently based on the event (like a movie set), or separate rooms for each individual event (basically like the interior is now). The exterior would be large and since it is supposed to be huge attraction it would be treated as such. Maybe it would resemble a large theater with the studios on a big sign, maybe even different posters with the event in progress on them. If I were to have simple text, I would have it in stationary black lettering on a white background like you see at the theaters. I would have a GAT do this though and not have it scripted because the results are usually ugly. Most of all, I would try to stick with the pallet in use. Personally I would have browns or blue with red accents for the roof.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:18 AM
Banned
It can eventually be improved to look both more unique and fitting, right now the exterior is essentially the same as it always was, except with a perimeter of hedge to allow it to blend with grass, and also retain that little bit of familiarity due to Tony Montana's house being there previously. Yes it is far from ideal, but I don't see it as a huge clash in the way that is being made out, if anything the Studios are meant to be something of a quirk.
I would also place more importance on the location of the building over the size of it.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:07 PM
David K?
Devil_Lord2 can only hope to improve
Quote:
If this thread were to be in jeopardy due to this rule, I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry. Promoting the real life use of alcohol via conversation or photographic flaunting is a lot different to promoting harmless consumption of a (cartoon style) pixel beverage in a game, towards purposes of fun.
I don't see the difference.. I believe if every game used this comment as their own many games would allow alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, and sex..

You'd be amazed with how much the media can influence people lol..

Especially making a game out of something that isn't necessarily good.

I think a better argument would be that the graphics were used in the past and thought of okay, they should be okay now "then leave it at that". Since it really isn't a good thing. o.o

Or better yet, have the liquid in the cup unnamed, which would fix everything..

Digital Media Artist - David K? </3 (UnLoved)
www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Old 03-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Old 03-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Lord2 View Post
I don't see the difference.. I believe if every game used this comment as their own many games would allow alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, and sex..
I think you have to consider whether the in game visual is comparable to the real life equivalent.

Sexual intercourse is in general morally wrong for a young child to witness in real life, so regardless of whether the first person character of a game is invoking such action, it's obvious that a young child should not be witnessing that.

In terms of drinking a beer or smoking a cigarette all that's happening in game is that you're seeing an avatar consume them. Is it wrong for a child to merely see another person in real life drink alcohol or smoke?