Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 02:53 AM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
The rambling of an old fool

I think it's funny that we still have a Bomy Island Forum section...
Like when was the last time you played Bomy Island? xD...
Why don't we have a Graal 3D forum or a Graal New World forum still as well?
Well technically we still have the Graal 3D forum but its hidden for most of
us, I still have permission to view some of it

But anyways, so are we getting somewhere these days? or still just waiting
for it all to die?

If you want to start a new project on graal you first have to pay for an
account, then rent a server, then you need to find developers with gold
accounts or else they cant use RC *sadface*

Why is that?

I don't see how anyone from outside of graal is going to come here and be
like "What? I have to pay to help you guys with my awesome skills? dude,
where do I sign up for that!? "

Also there is no progression anymore, it died with GK 10 years ago.
I personally would love some more 3D mixed into graal, I know a lot of you
are already typing "GRAAL 3D SUCKD!!!11",

I totally agree.

But if you took another approach to the whole 3d thing like I explained in my
old "Better Terrain for GK (formerly "My Suggestions")" thread,
I think it could be very fun, successful and awesome

So basically a 3d editor like the one on Warcraft III.
Some examples below.

3D ground in perspective with awesome texture brushes

Hight brushes

Cliff/Water brushes

There should be pre-scripted monsters, campfires etc that you can
customize to your own liking and place on the map.

It would also be very awesome to be able to change the camera view as well.

Just imagine the awesome possibilities! I would love to see a 2d server with
perspective and would personally love to make a low poly 3d server

My Albums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixmad
This forums is going worst each day.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:18 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
I agree with this old fool.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:25 AM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
I agree too, always have agreed with Galdor's terrain ideas. Stefan has always been receptive to the ideas too, we just need to find a nice open-source engine that can be used in Graal.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 03-16-2012, 03:30 AM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
I agree too, always have agreed with Galdor's terrain ideas. Stefan has always been receptive to the ideas too, we just need to find a nice open-source engine that can be used in Graal.
Can't they just use the one they bought from GarageGames?

My Albums
Quote:
Old 03-16-2012, 04:04 AM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
That terrain looks great - but I'd hate to see close-up views. Perhaps four angles, like in Harvest Moon. That would make it easier to use sprites over the 3D terrain, which I think is a heck of lot easier for the amateur developer crowd.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:08 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
That terrain looks great - but I'd hate to see close-up views. Perhaps four angles, like in Harvest Moon. That would make it easier to use sprites over the 3D terrain, which I think is a heck of lot easier for the amateur developer crowd.
Well, what you see was from 2002. I'm sure with modern systems we could have something more pretty. Either way I agree to an extent @ Galdor.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:23 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Why would you post a Graal2020 preview thread?
Old 03-16-2012, 05:09 AM
The Muffin Man
Tricxta is a jewel in the roughTricxta is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
Well there's always jmonkey. It's alright and covers all the bases.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:45 AM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Luda
I'd love to see a Pokemon DS / Zelda: Phantom Hourglass style used for Graal
Old 03-16-2012, 06:30 AM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luda View Post
I'd love to see a Pokemon DS / Zelda: Phantom Hourglass style used for Graal

That'd be pretty cool.

They were burned once by 3D, a radical change in their product which required a lot of resources, so I can understand being hesitant to approach it again.

One of the major weaknesses Graal's official products has consistently suffered is a lack of guidance. Responsibility is not fragmented correctly and, as a result, one or two big guns control the majority of development. Whatever is left over everyone else can pick at; usually king of the hill style.

In the past Graal Online didn't have a lot of resources to risk, so I can understand why that approach would be considered, but with the success of iDevices it should be possible to bring a real product to market. If it can't be done correctly now then it will only emphasize previous short comings.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:36 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
One of the major weaknesses Graal's official products has consistently suffered is a lack of guidance. Responsibility is not fragmented correctly and, as a result, one or two big guns control the majority of development. Whatever is left over everyone else can pick at; usually king of the hill style.

In the past Graal Online didn't have a lot of resources to risk, so I can understand why that approach would be considered, but with the success of iDevices it should be possible to bring a real product to market. If it can't be done correctly now then it will only emphasize previous short comings.
I understand what you're saying here. That essentially Graal needs a project manager, who can focus all of their time and effort solely on furthering Graal. But that person would either need to have the power to make big changes on their own, which I can't see Unixmad ever giving them. Or to have a constant clear line of communication with Unixmad and Stefan, which I also can't ever see happening.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
I honestly think we should just push for more improvements on the current terrain system. It's already very similar to what you're suggesting, Galdor, but we'd just need to see more improvements made to it. On my server, we've gotten as far as making 'cliffs' that you can fall down from, but can't walk back up. And I have plans to implement things like diving into deep water as well. There's already a lot of potential with terrain maps, but few people utilize them like they should.

Now, I've seen the engine bought from GarageGames and how it's been used for Graal, and that looks pretty freakin' sweet. But I wonder why they never followed up on that. The main limitation I can see with it is that not everybody knows how to do a lot of 3D modeling, but we used to have a few people interested in that kind of development, including me.

However, since most new Graal projects are kept secret these days and never opened up to the public so we can make a community effort to develop on a flagship server, even the most ambitious projects falter and we're only left with previews of things which are never going to happen.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:24 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricxta View Post
Well there's always jmonkey. It's alright and covers all the bases.
Java? Seriously?
Old 03-16-2012, 05:39 PM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
Now, I've seen the engine bought from GarageGames and how it's been used for Graal, and that looks pretty freakin' sweet. But I wonder why they never followed up on that. The main limitation I can see with it is that not everybody knows how to do a lot of 3D modeling, but we used to have a few people interested in that kind of development, including me.
Yea they put a lot of time and effort into that engine and it had some great tools that could be used, like they had this thing for walls that made them act like magnets and would connect to each other, making it really easy to build larger things out of smaller things, like a castle, a cave or a dungeon.

So even if you don't know how to model you could build stuffs like that with pre-made models (I could help some with that), all you need to do is to slap on a different texture to make it "yours"

My Albums
Quote:

Last edited by Galdor; 03-16-2012 at 06:24 PM..
Old 03-16-2012, 06:14 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
@ galdor as a basic start we could easily have "pre-defined tiles" similar to the current ones but in 3d. level editing would be a breeze.