Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Questions about V6
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
I think metro is gonna have lots of cool apps created for it as even Web developers can make great applications using html 5 and Javascript. Im sure you'll be able to find something in the store that will emulate the start button
Old 08-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Senator Amsel Zephlyn
Spikedude will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
Are you just pulling this stuff out of your ass or what? Not that I agree with the rest of your post, but this is a pretty strange statement. They switched to a different processor architecture, and as such, all apps need to be recompiled for the new architecture or be run using emulation software. They had plenty of good reasons for switching off of PPC, too.

The same thing happens in the Linux world. It's just less of a problem because most software tends to be free (as in freedom) and can fairly easily be compiled for new architectures by the community. On OS X it's a bigger problem in a large part because more programs are non-free (and thus can only be recompiled by the developer). The vast majority of software has Intel versions available now (even Graal).

If you don't understand how the change to Intel chips necessitated the transition, then you shouldn't be talking about it.

Your comment about Microsoft is particularly ridiculous. Microsoft goes to incredible lengths to keep new versions of Windows compatible with old software, even building in quirks in their operating system so old apps continue to run. For example:

Not everyone knows as much about every operating system as you, I was just making my point that there's no reason to derail every thread that mentions an operating system into an argument over what operating system is best when all of them have the same number of problems in different places. The point I was making there was that the only popular open source operating system (linux) has never had the same sort of problem with suddenly changing chipsets and making their computers incompatible with old software. I used to run Windows 95 way back in the day and was in love with Red Alert: C&C, and switching to XP made it so I couldn't run the game anymore. When I had Mac OSX Leopard I ran Microsoft Office: mac 2004 and Starcraft BW/Diablo II; switching to Lion would make it so I can't run any of these (and never will be able to without purchasing a new microsoft office, diablo III, and starcraft II). I was simply asking if switching to Windows 8 would do the same to Graal and it's developer tools, and then the whole thread got thrown off into "DUDE LOL MAC? WINDOWS 8? LOLOL."

Thanks for the information though. I wasn't intentionally being a dipstick about the companies and saying they don't try, I was just pointing out that the argument over which operating system is "best" is a bit of a moot point.

This thread should honestly be closed. Clearly nobody knows the answer to the original question, or if they do they'd rather just argue about operating systems than make any attempt at answering.

Last edited by Spikedude; 08-09-2012 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 08-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
Sky answered your question.. Yes it does run
Old 08-09-2012, 06:21 PM
cyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
Are you just pulling this stuff out of your ass or what? Not that I agree with the rest of your post, but this is a pretty strange statement. They switched to a different processor architecture, and as such, all apps need to be recompiled for the new architecture or be run using emulation software. They had plenty of good reasons for switching off of PPC, too.

The same thing happens in the Linux world. It's just less of a problem because most software tends to be free (as in freedom) and can fairly easily be compiled for new architectures by the community. On OS X it's a bigger problem in a large part because more programs are non-free (and thus can only be recompiled by the developer). The vast majority of software has Intel versions available now (even Graal).
This is likely going to be a problem for Windows 8 in the future considering some dedicated devices with Windows 8 pre-installed may be using the ARM architecture instead of x86 making older software incompatible unless it is either re-compiled for ARM or emulated.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Senator Amsel Zephlyn
Spikedude will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubical View Post
Sky answered your question.. Yes it does run
owow I missed that. Thanks Sky/Cubical.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Banned
Microsoft had already said that anything with arm architecture won't support cofactor applications only metro style
Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 PM
C:
devilsknite1 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to devilsknite1 Send a message via MSN to devilsknite1 Send a message via Yahoo to devilsknite1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
Without a start button.
Just not visible, if you either hover over or click the very bottom left, you have something similar to the start menu, I believe. I saw it on YouTube some where when I was looking at how much I would never want that operating system.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Banned
I didn't like windows 7 toolbar at first but it grew on me
Old 08-09-2012, 10:54 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubical View Post
I didn't like windows 7 toolbar at first but it grew on me
I disabled grouping up different tabs, etc. Didn't like it at all.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Banned
I grew to love it when I was working on multiple projects outtside of eclipse
Old 08-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Banned
Works fine for me, less lag than windows 7.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:46 AM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
It works fine for me, and I'm running Consumer Preview.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:48 AM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
I hope Graal works on Windows 9, I am so pumped!
Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 AM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
Without a start button.
There's mod's for that. However what do you need the start menu for? Click the folder icon, and type what you want to do into the search bar MUCH faster.

Ex: to use calc, type "calc.exe".. windows is smart now

Really, I can see WHY microsoft went metro on desktop.. unlike apple, now phone, tablet, and pc share the same experience.. I give microsoft prop's for that. and I actually have my eye on them now but im still not a microsoft fan..

Maybe, with proper skype integration, and xbox both into the metro experience.. like being able to login to windows and see your gamerscore, friends online, etc.. it would be a truely amazing experience..
Old 12-09-2012, 02:10 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I use my smartphone for a smartphone experience, my tablet for a tablet experience, my Xbox for a gaming experience, and my ****ing computer for a computer experience.