Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Feature request
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I guess there would be some fighting about if the requested feature is important or not, I would put a lot of stuff into 'never' or 'in the far future'.
I think it's better to know that than not know anything at all.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Problem is that things move fast and keeping track of all possible suggestions and updating them might be more work to actually add them. This is especially true when it's about the scripting engine: the plan is to switch to a fully javascript-compliant engine (with graal extensions) but cannot guarantee if and when.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:29 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
This is especially true when it's about the scripting engine: the plan is to switch to a fully javascript-compliant engine (with graal extensions) but cannot guarantee if and when.
Maybe you could use V8? I know you already do some compiling to intermediate bytecode (I think), so making it go directly to ASM shouldn't be hard, although the client would need to handle that. V8 handles optimizations and garbage collection also.

All the work that'd need to be done is a fork of it which adds Graal stuff into the mix (sort of like the DOM interface for the browser). Its license is BSD so it should be fine to use in Graal.

Although using V8 on something like the iPhone probably wouldn't be allowed due to the interpreter rules.