Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Bomy Island Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2017, 06:29 AM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Preview Thread

Okay, so now that we're in a state where many things are stable on the server in their former state (giving me a good idea where to go from here), it's time to update things so they aren't so antiquated!

I will be using this thread to deliver development updates pertaining to things that are being developed in order for a serverwide update that will take place updating the look of players to the new system in the (hopefully) near future.

As of right now I have been organizing all of this by myself, but have the great fortune of being able to use a ton of assets that have been created for the server yet unfortunately not many people got to see because Konidias' Bomy Island project was never completed.

Please note that these updates are a PREVIEW of a future update where this will all be released at once, so you will not be able to participate in this stuff until that update occurs. If you want to help test stuff, however, you can ask and we will see about recruiting a few people to test stuff.

NPC Code:

>New Features 4/7/2017

>Game Systems

>Added a hotkey system that allows players to equip up to 10 weapons
and quick-select them by either clicking the hotkey or scrolling through
them using F and G keys. The icon of the item being selected will be
shown over the player's head to make it even more convenient.

>Added bug catching job. Players will be able to make gralats by
collecting bugs for now, but they may have other uses..

>Added Torch weapon. Players will be able to set things on fire and the
fire can spread.

>Added Umbrellas. They are an aesthetic item for now. Looks cool and
makes having rain effects more engaging.

>Updates and Fixes

>Jobs

>Fixed Mining Bomb to work with updated systems, added new sprite and animation

>Fixed Gold Axe to work with updated systems, added new sprites and animation

>Fixed Metal Axe to work with updated systems, added new sprites and animation

>Fixed Diamond Axe to work with updated systems, added new sprites and animation

>Fixed Cow Milking to work with updated systems

>Fixed Dough Roller to work with updated systems, adjusted timing of rolling to be funner

>Fixed Shovel to work with updated systems

>Fixed Water Can to work with updated systems

>Added Scythe tool, will be used for wheat farming to make baking funner

>Added Axe tool, testing feasibility of adding a tree cutting job

>Technical

>Fixed handling of carrying/throwing objects for updated systems

>Fixed Go Kart animations to work with new systems, added smoke particle effect for exhaust

>Fixed "Got Item" animation (for obtaining a treasure)

Here's a preview of the cool item select hotkey system I worked on in action (I made the gani with graalshop pro, thx fp4):

And here's me trying to burn Manny. Ayy lmao

I'll add screenshots of other stuff mentioned here later.

Please feel free to use this thread for criticisms, concerns, comments, questions, requests and most importantly suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	torchexample.png
Views:	469
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	55982  

Last edited by Kamaeru; 04-07-2017 at 11:18 AM..
Old 04-07-2017, 02:51 PM
LimetasticSlushy has a spectacular aura aboutLimetasticSlushy has a spectacular aura about
If you can get the woodcutting to work well, make a system for players to craft some wooden items. First thing I can think of is fletching arrows.

Also do you think you could add some kind of third resource next to bombs and arrows for "elemental" weapons and abilities like that torch? Like some kind of condensed mote of elemental energy. It could open up some opportunities for some cool stuff.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:26 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimetasticSlushy View Post
If you can get the woodcutting to work well, make a system for players to craft some wooden items. First thing I can think of is fletching arrows.

Also do you think you could add some kind of third resource next to bombs and arrows for "elemental" weapons and abilities like that torch? Like some kind of condensed mote of elemental energy. It could open up some opportunities for some cool stuff.
I'm going to be trying a whole lot of different stuff and seeing what is most fun, then adding the funnest things I make to the game. If cutting trees and collecting wood can be really fun, it can get added, but if it proves to not be so fun it won't. We'll just see.

There is a possibility that I could be bringing back an idea konidias had where there was a stamina meter that allowed the player to dash for a short period of time. I thought about different ideas for the torch also, like it requiring a material to fuel it (maybe flammable liquid stored in a bottle), or making it burn up over time so you have to stock up on them or craft them. Like I said previously, I will be testing things to see what is most fun.

If anyone has ideas for insect species I should add to the game, I am especially open to that sort of suggestion right now. Right now we have butterflies, crickets, and frogs. You can also catch the birds. The idea is that you will be able to keep birds as pets that can deliver a message to another player by flight, and display insects on the wall in your playerhouse or sell them.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:55 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
I was expecting a YouTube video demonstrating the updates. Disappointed.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:02 PM
G2k1
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
I was expecting a YouTube video demonstrating the updates. Disappointed.
I was actually working on that, but realized that since I'm using nvidia shadowplay I'm not sure how to record without it being fullscreen, and last time I made some video examples people complained that my 1080p monitor was too large. Well, since then now I'm using a 4K monitor haha. I will look further into doing that again. I tried to get this post organized in a bit of a rush actually because I wanted to get back to working on this stuff, but the purpose of this thread is so that the work happening on the server can be more transparent, so expect more updates.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:17 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
neat!
Old 04-12-2017, 06:45 PM
G2k1

This is a beta demonstration of how wheat harvesting will work on Bomy Island.

Bako is tired of swinging his arms, so he asks you to pick up the Scythe tool and harvest your own. Since you don't have anything to hold the wheat, you carry it to the bakery. The plan is that you will be able to buy a backpack that allows you to hold multiple farmed materials of the sort, wheat being the first one.

The wheat in this field grows by itself, but in the future we may allow you to grow your own and stock up in farming areas.

This is not final, I will be polishing the design of the area, adding ganis to the characters to show them speaking during dialogue, etc.

I had a difficult time recording it because I'm using a 4K monitor. I had to use the alt-8 zoom option which caused the text dialogue box to scale improperly, which sucks, because I worked a long time on that and it's one of the things I wanted to show off. If anyone knows of a better recording program I can use that allows you to record games that are windowed, let me know. Also I do not own the music playing in the background, that's just the mother 3 ost I was listening to and forgot to mute.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bakodemo.png
Views:	368
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	55983  
Old 04-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
why not fullscreen and change the resolution?
Old 04-12-2017, 06:58 PM
G2k1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
why not fullscreen and change the resolution?
If I try to change the resolution as low as 1080p it causes major problems with my display, and will only display in a box that is 1/4 the width and height of the screen for some reason.

When I tried fullscreen, it looked reeeeally bad. Neither of these things work, don't you think those are the first things I would have tried?
Old 04-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaeru View Post
Neither of these things work, don't you think those are the first things I would have tried?
nope
Old 04-12-2017, 07:20 PM
G2k1
Quote:
nope
Ah, well, I guess you were wrong. Those were the first 2 things I tried.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaeru View Post
Ah, well, I guess you were wrong. Those were the first 2 things I tried.
would the messed up things have shown up in the screen cap or was it just the monitor acting up at that resolution?
Old 04-14-2017, 08:43 PM
G2k1
Quote:
would the messed up things have shown up in the screen cap or was it just the monitor acting up at that resolution?
If you ever get a 4K monitor you will find out that most things are just not ready for that many pixels for some reason. I get weird problems, like with RC, all the checkboxes disappear for some reason in some of the menus. Even Windows 10 has major issues with scaling of windows and text, and even though they have options for that, nothing is really perfect. Many games won't work right unless there is a 4K option for menu and text scaling built into the game (most modern games have this but some don't still).

As far as recording goes I think I have found a solution, I am going to be using OBS Studio which can do window capture for videos in the future.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:48 PM
ya its too early for me to adopt 4k, no way im pushing good FPS with my rig
Old 04-15-2017, 05:22 PM
G2k1
Quote:
ya its too early for me to adopt 4k, no way im pushing good FPS with my rig
I started with a PC I bought for $150 at a pawn shop, and while I was working over the years I bought 1 part at a time until I built a new computer. Now I have an i7-4790k, 16gb ram, a few SSD drives, and 2 GTX 980Ti gpus running in SLI. It will basically run anything in 4K max settings 60fps. Too bad there really aren't that many amazing games available for PC that I'm super interested in, but modding older games I like alone justifies the hardware. Playing F-ZERO GX in DolphinVR using a Wavebird controller and official Nintendo USB controller adapter is pretty sweet, definitely better than the VR games on Steam. Sometimes you gotta make your own fun with video games.

It's cool just having the option to play games in super high resolution. Some games, like PSO2 (yeah I play that), have bad GUI and menu scaling problems where everything is tiny in 4K.