Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Feature request
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 12:12 AM
Cyril Rain
sssssssssss will become famous soon enough
Why does it seem like they say its impossible...

...to merge iphone, andriod, and facebook with pc? I understand that the iphone server itself would crash, so does that mean that the pc servers would crash? Like 9 years ago some servers were handling 200-300 per server, and like 11 years ago 1 server was handing 500+. That was 9-11 years ago, and they make it like its impossible for a server to handle roughly 2000 at get go? Plus, if it was merged, playerworlds would BE on iphone, andriod, and facebook, and the server count for players would even out.

So, with that, what is the actual reason (besides unixmad and stefan are lame) that these servers are not being merged?

Feature requested for the 109234029304923 time since January or earlier.
Elysium's Facebook Page: http://facebook.com/GraalOnlineElysium
Graal Forum Thread: http://forums.graalonline.com...
Graalians Thread: http://www.graalians.com...

Old 03-29-2011, 12:20 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
If the 2 communities were merged it would open alot of peoples eyes towards what they have nonsensically been spending money on all this time.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:34 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
If the 2 communities were merged it would open alot of peoples eyes towards what they have nonsensically been spending money on all this time.
yeah this...

also i still lol @ the timing between classic iphone going up and real classic going down
Old 03-29-2011, 01:45 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
yeah this...

also i still lol @ the timing between classic iphone going up and real classic going down
I don't disagree that it was an unfortunate timing, given hindsight (which Stefan had the opportunity to do when we uploaded the reset account files, and when we actually asked him for his opinion on default vs custom systems) I'd have definitely pushed to develop Classic with default systems for both platforms.
What happened was that he logged onto RC requesting help for it the very day it was submitted to the App store in December, Classic was well underway by this point with the custom systems implemented.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:08 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
I don't know about other servers but we'll definitely have to start instancing all the basic dungeons on Zodiac to deal with the overcrowding, common events could be troubling too if we just let them all flood in as well.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:33 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssssssssss View Post
So, with that, what is the actual reason (besides unixmad and stefan are lame) that these servers are not being merged?
Let me split your question into two different questions:
  • Why doesn't PC merge with mobile (iPhone, Android)?
  • Why doesn't PC merge with Facebook?

Regarding a merge w/ mobile

There are some actual technical issues here:
  • The current PC servers will not work on mobile devices; PC servers are too inefficient.
  • PCs have better input than mobile devices, so PCs would have an advantage. It's hard to level the playerfield with say a "speed drop" or something like that, when the input mechanisms are so incredibly different.

As an aside, a personal opinion of mine is that PC servers should not be directly ported/merged with mobile servers. Mobile devices are way different from PCs and that fact should be reflected in the servers.

Regarding a merge w/ Facebook

I don't know any of the technical details here (except that speed will probably not be an issue), so I can't really comment on that side of things.

But, I do know that Eurocenter plans on bringing over playerworlds in some form to Facebook. The only reason it hasn't happened yet is because they are busy with porting the mobile servers first.

I imagine they are porting the mobile servers first because they know they
  • work with huge players counts
  • rake in cash

This isn't to say that PC servers wouldn't be able to do this (some major changes would need to be made -- see fowlplay's post above mine). Just that they haven't yet.

I believe that, in the end, moving/merging things to Facebook is in Eurocenter's plans. But only they know their plans so I will have to stop here.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:59 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
It almost seems like you guys are going out of your way to ignore PC Graal.

It would be so awesome if Facebook players logged into the current Era and current Classic. I know at least on Classic that stuff is getting done pretty fast, and I think you guys should take note of that and reconsider leaving Thor in the dark.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:09 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
The reason is simply that we cannot put more than 2000 people into Graal city We will have to create several instances of the server. There will be ways to meet friends cross-platform but we will not be able to put them all on the same small server.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:17 PM
One More Time
MrOmega is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrOmega Send a message via MSN to MrOmega Send a message via Yahoo to MrOmega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
The reason is simply that we cannot put more than 2000 people into Graal city We will have to create several instances of the server. There will be ways to meet friends cross-platform but we will not be able to put them all on the same small server.
Is this due to bandwidth, cpu, game engine limitations?
Old 03-31-2011, 03:52 PM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
People would develop servers large enough if server size was the only issue
Old 03-31-2011, 07:31 PM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajchris View Post
People would develop servers large enough if server size was the only issue
I don't think the physical size of the server is the issue. Its the ability to handle that number of people on a server.

Imagine Graal The Adventure (Classic) with 2000 people in level 14, lol.