Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Lightbulb Community Project: New Tileset

Okay, so I know I've been talking about this forever, but I'm finally making a thread about it.

It's been years upon years since pics1.png was created. And since then, we've had hundreds of servers that have customized it for their own use. However, there isn't a single version out there that has been completely revised. They always wind up incomplete.

So, let's change that and work with each other on making a new one that can be used across all servers.

This is a community project, so even though there's going to be competition, I don't want to see people at each other's throats over it. We are all working toward a common goal.

Rules

1. I will be facilitating the project, and will do my best to keep my opinion out of the discussion. If I do share my opinion, it will come as positive reinforcement.

2. Instead of re-posting the tileset over and over, just post the tiles you want to be included. I will do what I can to inject your work into the final copy. This includes aligning your tiles into the grid, and converting them to 8-bit colors when the time comes.

3. Generally speaking, any new tiles which replace the old ones will be accepted unless there is strong disapproval from lots of people. But the fact still remains that those old tiles will still need to be replaced. So if you disapprove, keep in mind that we will need a more suitable replacement eventually.

4. I may ask users to move on to editing tiles for different regions that have not been completed. Especially if there is too much competition going on over a particular section of the tiles.

5. Please try to sample colors from the tileset's pre-existing palette. Too many colors in some tiles might result in color loss when it gets converted down to 8-bit. You can use more than what's there, but if it looks terrible after conversion, you will need to reduce the amount of colors you've used.

6. You can either revise or change tiles. If you are revising them, bushes need to stay as bushes, rocks should stay as rocks, and so on. However, if you are changing some of them completely, you should seek approval from others.

7. Keep your tiles within the constraints of the area in which you wish to insert them. If you make something that's too large to fit in the space where it needs to be, I can try to chop it up and put some of the remaining tiles elsewhere, but too much of that is a problem.

8. As always, don't submit tiles which are 'borrowed' from other servers or games. This includes other game-making programs like RPG Maker and so on.

Because it has been released as a free resource and contains a fair number of tiles which have already been revised, I chose Dusty's tileset for our base image. However, if you want to replace anything in that image, please feel free to post what you've got.

The base tileset image is below, along with samples from the free tiles thread which may be included later as well. New tiles need to be submitted in the same fashion as these samples, so that I can work them into the tileset.

As we keep going, I will periodically post updates to the tileset, so people can see what it's looking like so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dustynewpics1yb1.png
Views:	2126
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	54340   Click image for larger version

Name:	freetiles.png
Views:	1340
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	54341   Click image for larger version

Name:	stairs2.png
Views:	1341
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	54342   Click image for larger version

Name:	freetiles1.PNG
Views:	1431
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	54343  
Old 03-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Please excuse the double-post, but here's a revision with some of the samples loaded in. Feel free to test them and post screenshots as we go along.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pics2.png
Views:	1491
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	54346  

Last edited by Draenin; 03-08-2012 at 10:34 AM..
Old 03-08-2012, 11:01 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
I think the wooden chest worked a lot better. Also, replacing that stone thingy in the left part of the tileset with Dusty's black one doesn't seem like a good idea. Hedge tiles still need the colors adjusted, they're too saturated.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Magnificent Bastard
I'll make those changes in the next revision, after we get some more tiles. Thanks for the notes.

Last edited by Draenin; 03-08-2012 at 03:31 PM..
Old 03-08-2012, 03:35 PM
callimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to behold
Here the snow tiles fixed to the tree style. Maybe you shouldn´t save the tileset in 8bit next time aswell

Name:	fixed.png
Views:	1100
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	54355

Maybe you could also add the tree/grass, snow and fixed cliff tiles from this tileset by dusty (on the right side)

Views:	3412
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	54356

Last edited by callimuc; 03-08-2012 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: changed image to an attachment
Old 03-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Magnificent Bastard
I will try to work in some of those tiles as well. At the moment, I am unscrambling the tiles and re-arranging them so they're easier to work with.

But before I get too deep into that, anyone know if it's possible to re-define what tiles are blocking, non-blocking, swimming, and so forth through a script?

If not, I may need to look for a template which defines where those kinds of tiles need to be.

Last edited by Draenin; 03-08-2012 at 06:05 PM..
Old 03-08-2012, 08:29 PM
geneticfrog can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to geneticfrog Send a message via MSN to geneticfrog
good idea and good cause.

if you do a google search you can probably find the old template that shows all the specific limits for each type of tile.

by the way the first trees look like they are inspired/edited from RPG makers past tree designs and the tomb stone.

however graal is made off edited zelda tilesets and scaled up thus why Pics1.png has outlines that are 2 pixels thick.
exmaple:

Last edited by geneticfrog; 03-08-2012 at 09:38 PM..
Old 03-09-2012, 01:52 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Alrighty. I think I'm going to work with the 'Type 1' template for tiles, since it allows me to group stuff more easily.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:56 AM
The Muffin Man
Tricxta is a jewel in the roughTricxta is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
Alrighty. I think I'm going to work with the 'Type 1' template for tiles, since it allows me to group stuff more easily.
You mean type 0?

Also this tileset seems like it's going to be a compilation of mainly dusty's work :P
Old 03-09-2012, 04:40 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
Be warned that while type 1 allows more organization it comes at a cost. There is so much room allocated to nonblocking tiles that isn't needed that almost every other type(except for blocking) ends up with very little. The biggest issue is water, you only get a dozen or so tiles for all the water in the entire tileset.

Not to mention it requires creating any level using this as a base instead of pics1... and when it offers almost exactly the same thing as pics1 except organized differently that can be quite frustrating.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:25 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Be warned that while type 1 allows more organization it comes at a cost. There is so much room allocated to nonblocking tiles that isn't needed that almost every other type(except for blocking) ends up with very little. The biggest issue is water, you only get a dozen or so tiles for all the water in the entire tileset.

Not to mention it requires creating any level using this as a base instead of pics1... and when it offers almost exactly the same thing as pics1 except organized differently that can be quite frustrating.
I think we'll be okay when it comes to space. A lot of tiles in pics1.png are just recolored versions of normal tiles, and a good portion of tiles like the ones in the lava section can probably be remade or tossed out completely.

As I've been re-organizing tiles, I've found ways to make them more compact and easier to locate. This will be a major benefit to level artists who sometimes have trouble locating single tiles that are randomly placed in the Type 0 tileset because of space limitations. Not to mention, it also frees up a lot of space that we'll need for new objects.

However, using Type 1 basically means that old servers using pics1.png for their levels would not be able to just upload this tileset and change their server completely. Since this is an attempt at totally new tiles, they would be best used on new servers. But, that isn't to say that I can't re-scramble them for Type 0 once we're finished.

It's a slow process, but here's what I've got so far. The tiles on the left are in no particular order.

I'm just trying to get stuff like trees, cliffs, water, and objects put together before I put them into Type 1 format. As I progress, tiles that have been transferred are being blacked out so I can tell what's left. The stuff in the top-left may be disorganized right now, but I'll be arranging them very neatly into rows when it comes time to do so.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	2475
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	54364   Click image for larger version

Name:	dustynewpics1yb1.png
Views:	1398
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	54365  

Last edited by Draenin; 03-09-2012 at 06:05 AM..
Old 03-15-2012, 05:54 PM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
Why don't we all just work on a pics2.png?
Old 03-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKan View Post
Why don't we all just work on a pics2.png?
This. That's how it's going to turn out anyway :P
Old 03-15-2012, 07:10 PM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
... I don't like the cliffs, sorry.

My Albums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixmad
This forums is going worst each day.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:11 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
trust me when i say those cliffs look awful ingame.